Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

How on earth did Henry get a fine for striking Williams?? The vision shows he brushed his shoulder…
Can you appeal a fine?
Pretty sure you can, but in this case I'd be sending the bill straight to Carlton for the flopper to cover the fine.

YIKES this is the post I put up in the Carton thread by mistake!
And I didn't get banz hammered ! :)

Scott's presser excellent, forthcoming on our structure, selection (Guthrie thank you) and injury.
Even mentioned the dreaded hamstring word along with know more later.
It's great we can listen to that and come away learning something.
Impressed.
Cameron's after game interview good too.
Something about :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

On the Conway vs. Stanley discussion, if we were falling out of contention, then maybe I could understand the argument for demoting Rhys and making Conway our #1 ruck slightly ahead of time. But given that we're aspiring to win a premiership this year, we have to think about what's going to give us the best chance of competing in finals and potentially winning a flag. And the simple fact is that you can't carry a player through finals who doesn't have the tank to play a full game. If we had reason to believe that Conway was going to be ready to do that by finals, then fine, but let's be real, he's not going to physically develop that much in the space of four months. Toby can be rotated in and out of the side for Stanley, but come finals, it's going to be Rhys we roll with again, and if not, we're in trouble.

I say this in full acknowledgement of the fact that Rhys was terrible yesterday.

My only negative from yesterday was there was a contest 50m arc boundary ball in dispute. Dempsey short steps then chooses to wait for the Carlton player to take possession and tackle. Gets a don't argue and the Carlton player is off. Should have just eyeballed the ball and gone at it.

My only negative from yesterday was there was a contest 50m arc boundary ball in dispute. Dempsey short steps then chooses to wait for the Carlton player to take possession and tackle. Gets a don't argue and the Carlton player is off. Should have just eyeballed the ball and gone at it.
That has been discussed at length (or ad nauseum, depending on your point of view) in this thread.

Looked really proppy in the Bulldogs game. Back issues?

Think we all agree there is 'something' going on with Hawkins, yet there are different opinions regarding why he's out of form.

2024 Goals:
St Kilda 1.1
Adelaide 4.0
Hawthorn 4.1
Bulldogs 0.1
North - Managed
Brisbane 0.0
Carlton 0.1

Quote:
“From what the scans have come back and shown there’s a bulged disc and it’s just about management.

“Some people need to do a few things like pilates and swimming and that fixes them, but for me it’s been a bit more of an ongoing thing.”

Hawkins admitted the toughest thing was his body holding him back from playing the way he wants.

“I think that’s the most frustrating thing about it but I’m not sitting here feeling like I’m the only one whose had an injury that they’ve had to play through, AFL players do that all the time so I’m not alone.”

Hawkins explains to Ling the highly scrutinised incident from last week’s game against Port Adelaide where he appears stiff and unable to bend down to pick up the ball.

“So it was a combination of a few things, the ground was really boggy and a few little things joined together probably made me feel a little bit stiff.

“I just wasn’t expecting it to come in so quick, it skidded in and bounced into my shins and it didn’t look good, I looked like an old man.”

Guess when this was? 2013

Foot injury 2022 + surgery 2023

Hamstring Freo game 29 July 2023

Hawkins as stated previously is 35yo

Tommy has an injury, his back obviously. Still, Scotty, coaches + MC see his value to the team. Disappointingly some consider: 9.4.58 is poor for six games.

Have to agree with those, who believe, Hawkins is taking a KPD from other forwards, which allows Cameron to kick a bag + other forwards to score too. Hawkins moving towards our backline meant Weitering followed. The following posts explain it perfectly.

Too right! Tommy held means Jezza gets off the chain. Jezza AND Hawkins quiet the week before means our 'mosquito fleet' of small forwards ran amok. Can every opposition team have every possible contingency against us?
He's still taking a quality defender though, which allows others to shine. If we were without Hawkins today for example, Weitering would've gone to Cameron and possibly blanketed him.

Like others have said, we only looked for Hawkins deep forward 4 times today, yet we still kicked 18 goals.
Weitering is also one the of the few backs who has a good record on Hawkins
There’s no worries for me, if he were not on a AA type player there might be
But he played a selfless game today and JW played a great game.

Stanley matches up well with Gawn remarkably, but I’d love to try the double team with Conway this Saturday night

Scotty + MC have a strategy to play Hawkins, despite his ailments, as he contributes enormously to our forward line in many areas, in addition to goals. I'm definitely of the 'ism' Hawkins is taking some hits for the team, as Scotty mentioned, Hawkins is a team player.

Bulldogs 0.1
North - Managed
Brisbane 0.0
Carlton 0.1
Or;

He was held well be a great full back in Jones, played in a monsoon, and had Weitering for company.
Missed the only game to fill his boots in. Plays v North and kicks 5 and the rhetoric is different.

Hawk will be fine. Will kick his 40+ and play his part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem I see with this is that Hawk is a bloke that needs/thrives on work. I don't think he handles being in and out.
This!!! Hawkins has said it's preferable to keep playing. Now, with whatever is causing poor form, MC has devised a strategy for him to keep playing. I'm very happy to put my trust in them + Hawkins.

This!!! Hawkins has said it's preferable to keep playing. Now, with whatever is causing poor form, MC has devised a strategy for him to keep playing. I'm very happy to put my trust in them + Hawkins.
He’s a big enough team player to step aside if it comes to that

It’ll be fine

He’s a big enough team player to step aside if it comes to that

It’ll be fine
Yes, he certainly is. As other legends have, like Selwood. I think Hawkins is still needed for the structure of our forward line, short term, until we have another big KPF. We may even seen Neale prepared to eventually play KPF, but still too young, needs development + games. We're winning despite Selwood's retirement. We'll adapt without Hawkins too.

Am I being too generous to big Tommy in saying he's got a flair up of the old back injury and the clubs happy to keep rolling him out like last time but trying to use him to open the forward line and keep a very good opposition backman nailed back and not free to go on the attack.Is this Tom being managed on ground?
Yes, it is + I like it

He was held well be a great full back in Jones, played in a monsoon, and had Weitering for company.
He's playing against good tall defenders most weeks; yes, Weitering is very good, but there's also Darcy Moore, Steven May, Sam Taylor, Harris Andrews, Tom McCartin...

At some point, it's not so much an alibi as a pattern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back