Review Cats down Bombers by 28 points - Tomma has 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he was great today, took some strong marks and showed heaps of composure in traffic. Bizarre because he looks totally lost in the VFL.
VFL is so scrappy at times it's hard for some youngsters to showcase their skills. Our last VFL match prior to the one today I remember a passage where Knevitt took a nice mark on the wing and kicked it to young Clark in the middle who drilled it nicely to a VFL-listed bloke in the middle of the ground who proceeded to spill the mark, fumble and the opposition went down the other end and goaled. Being surrounded by competent teammates makes it seem like a different game at times.

It was not a dominant performance. The Cats played one half of football again and Essendon ran rings around them in the last quarter.
Always find this thought process amusing, even when it's applied to us.

Essendon improved when the game was virtually over. When the game was there to be won we were all over them. It's what happens when the heat is taken out of a contest.

It's like saying in some of our finals failures we were the better side after half time. We weren't, the game was already over.

Solid win and I'm generally happy with that. A few random observations...

* I don't care if I've said 100 times already, Miers is one of the major play-makers into F50. Good things happen when he gets the ball!

* Dangerfield was a collusus, but there's not much in the midfield cupboard outside of him.

* Not sure about SDK in the ruck. I reckon he could do it with a few months solid practice and experience, but we're not getting full value if he does. It just screams we don't want to use Ceglar under any condition, so fingers crossed Toby can get back ASAP and be ready for 2024.

* Ratugolea is 6 games into his 'new life' as a backman. Yeah, he's not great in 1-on-1s but not many people are with so little experience under his belt. His interception and pack spoils make him a worthy inclusion while he's getting experience.

* Simpson was good without getting a ton of the ball. Should've had 3 but that's two solid games as a Stengle replacement. Not sure where he fits though when Tyson comes back.

* Can someone tell Ollie he's allowed to kick more than 2 goals? That's 6 out of 7 games he's done that... though it's great to see him reliably chip in each week. I loved him getting more involved in field play this week, that's what he needs to take the next step.

* Not sold on Knevitt, but that's his 3rd(?) game so can't put a line through him yet. I think his timidity and hesitation feel like the biggest problems - if he can get past that, I'll be much more bullish with him.

* Hawkins - nuff said.

Can't complain about our attack over the last 4 weeks. Tighten up our defence and we'll be looking pretty damned good. Until then, hopefully we just keep banking wins and move towards hitting peak form late in the season.
Solid win and I'm generally happy with that. A few random observations...

* I don't care if I've said 100 times already, Miers is one of the major play-makers into F50. Good things happen when he gets the ball!

* Dangerfield was a collusus, but there's not much in the midfield cupboard outside of him.

* Not sure about SDK in the ruck. I reckon he could do it with a few months solid practice and experience, but we're not getting full value if he does. It just screams we don't want to use Ceglar under any condition, so fingers crossed Toby can get back ASAP and be ready for 2024.

* Ratugolea is 6 games into his 'new life' as a backman. Yeah, he's not great in 1-on-1s but not many people are with so little experience under his belt. His interception and pack spoils make him a worthy inclusion while he's getting experience.

* Simpson was good without getting a ton of the ball. Should've had 3 but that's two solid games as a Stengle replacement. Not sure where he fits though when Tyson comes back.

* Can someone tell Ollie he's allowed to kick more than 2 goals? That's 6 out of 7 games he's done that... though it's great to see him reliably chip in each week. I loved him getting more involved in field play this week, that's what he needs to take the next step.

* Not sold on Knevitt, but that's his 3rd(?) game so can't put a line through him yet. I think his timidity and hesitation feel like the biggest problems - if he can get past that, I'll be much more bullish with him.

* Hawkins - nuff said.

Can't complain about our attack over the last 4 weeks. Tighten up our defence and we'll be looking pretty damned good. Until then, hopefully we just keep banking wins and move towards hitting peak form late in the season.

Ratugolea has played just under sixty games hasn't he? To my mind a one on one is an equal proposition anywhere on the ground, no matter the position played. Despite all the patience and positivity it's a Fail, except for a temporary ploy to release SDK, and if that's a wise move I hope SDK has great lung capacity to drop back (example today he tried but couldn't drop into the hole Sav left) . Ratugolea is uncoordinated and doesn't seem to have a football brain, will lose us a game one day. Port are still tracking him, hope they still see the merit I don't.

Knevitt is going to furnish into a lovely player. He has some serious flaws, but just look at what Geelong has been able to do with Zac Guthrie. They will be ironed out.

He is going to really stretch teams with his height.

Look for him to play a lot more games than we (supporters) probably want him to over next 12 months.

Scott will love this kid.

I want you to be right, but I think there's one big difference between Zuth and Knevitt, at least in their early games.

Zuth threw his 10-year-old body into the fray - and often got bullied by bigger, stronger players. That 2018 Easter Monday game where Roughead got 1-on-1s against him in the last is still fresh in my memory.

Knevitt looks to have more physical tricks and ability, but it feels like he's unsure of when he should get involved or not. Too often he hovered outside of a pack or got the ball and just stopped dead. If he doesn't sort that out, he could get 20 possies a game and still not do much.

I will say in terms of footy smarts, Zuth definitely has an edge - but hopefully that's mostly just experience.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not putting a line through MK and these are good learning experiences, but we need him to develop big time over his next 30-40 games.

How can anyone say that wasn't a dominant performance?

It wasn't a four quarter performance, and it didn't need to be.

We put the foot down 100% for 2 quarters and 50% for 2 quarters and s**t it in.

If Bowes wasn't injured you would put it down as a great match, because we won, got a percentage bump, no major injuries, the Bowes minor injury is the only negative, and the players cruised to the finish line.

At this stage of the season, you want wins, you don't want injuries, and you don't want games to be a slog. Saints and Pies the last few weeks have been in slogs. That catches up as the season goes on.
How can anyone say it was a 4 quarter performance? Good first half, coasted second half, looked slow and sloppy in the 4th quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am i the only one that thought Duncan was woeful today, he looked very sore and couldnt run either, wouldnt be surprised to see him out rested next week.

Yeah he was, very obviously had a bad day. But he got the sympathy votes. As time and errors wore on, Dwano knew Duncan was having a 'mare so decided to read us Mitch's champion resume during the game.
He'll be right.

Ratugolea has played just under sixty games hasn't he? To my mind a one on one is an equal proposition anywhere on the ground, no matter the position played. Despite all the patience and positivity it's a Fail, except for a temporary ploy to release SDK, and if that's a wise move I hope SDK has great lung capacity to drop back (example today he tried but couldn't drop into the hole Sav left) . Ratugolea is uncoordinated and doesn't seem to have a football brain, will lose us a game one day. Port are still tracking him, hope they still see the merit I don't.

That's fair enough - I can see arguments for and against him.

I'm bullish on him but I can see your perspective. That's why we have healthy discussion!

P.S. I don't see an easy way to keep him in once Henry comes back unless we're up against teams like Carlton (two big KPFs), but that's up to the match committee.

Cats showed their class when the game was still hot.
Established a match winning lead Q1 Then mostly coasted.
A satisfying win considering.
Injury depletion: Limited bench. Some playing injured.
Lost Bose half way through Q1 after a good opening
Rohan was restricted. Missed his defensive pressure.
Still managed a handy mark and goal and missed another.
Danger set up the win early then was managed: 64% TOG
Not playing a genuine ruckman in the team
SDK was pushed around and got beaten up...again.
He is Smart, Skilled, Quick and Agile + Fast Learner
Once he muscles up, May become a Blitz like all rounder.
Duncan and Bews are sadly out of form... for now.
Simpson has shown enough to stay in the mix
Loved his spin balk and poise kicking his 2nd goal
Esava had a quiet day and was taught a good lesson.
Knevitt needs to develop aggression and physically.
Currently playing like a boy amongst men
Bruhn showed good signs and is developing nicely.
Once again the workload was shared by all
Hawkins dominated F50 capping of the hard work.
Cats got the job done . A very workman like win
Everyone deserves a beer

Cat beer.gif

No Stanley, Stengle, J Henry, 2E, or Cuthrie.

Bowes goes off in the first few minutes.

Rohan clearly carrying something.

Duncan having probably his worst game for a long time.

We storm out to a match-winning lead in literally the first 15-20 minutes against a 'contender', and are never seriously headed from there.

..........And there's still Debbie Downers saying it's the end of the world because Essendon got a couple of cheapies in junk time when we'd clearly taken the foot off the gas.

:rolleyes: :confusedv1:

I think by and large our days of absolute thrashings are done. * Once the game is in control it is about preservation of the lead and the players. The season is long and tough. Being in the best condition possible come finals time goes a long way towards success. Get it?
* North being the possible exception.

Last edited:
Controlling the game and coasting to a 5 goal win is a Good Thing. At some stage I’ll want to see us strangle a team like Essendon to score rather than conceding 100. Richmond is a good candidate.
Richmond is no longer a good candidate. Too shit. Maybe St Kilda.

Pure_Ownage ......I agree Sav isn't best 22 when we get Stanley and Henry back.

Henry has been seen on the training track recently too, yes?

Not sure re henry. Given his history of foot injuries i doubt we see him before round 15.
But im not worried about sav because a) hes only played 7 games of defence in his life and hes learning on the go and b) if henry is back sav wont be best 22 in finals.

Im more worried about bews because he looks horribly out of form and im not sure we have a natural replacement for his role (zuthrie could do it but its not ideal). Top 4 teams can kill us for groundball gets in our d50 so thats something we have to address either by structure or personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back