Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish we could've seen what Hardie had at AFL level. Man wasn't blowing the roof off but elevated at AFL and has been a solid player. Knevitt, Mullin, Rohan, Duncan, Henry. I'm so confused with Duncan as a sub, unless we thought we'd just auto win this game.
This is what pisses me off about Hardie - we didn't even give him a chance.

If he played 2-3 games and had obvious flaws/weaknesses at AFL level, then okay. At least we'd know. And at least HE'D know....he could go away and work on whatever deficiencies had been exposed at AFL level.

But he never even got that opportunity.

Watching this game live and seeing so many of our players not have the ability to use their opposite foot really highlights a lack of left footers in this team. It seems in the modern football landscape very little discussion is given to which foot a player kicks with, but this game is still bilateral and having left footers to open up the left side can be such a major difference. I can't count the amount of times a player would banana, scrub kick or completely stop and baulk back into traffic to get back on the right foot. Frustrating.

It would help if he could stick a tackle first by catching them, and pick out a man instead of bomb into f50. He’s inconsistent for mine and yet his stats don’t reflect that. I can’t really fathom what team we’ll take into finals, we have no balance. There’s SDK, Bruhn, Guthrie, Hawkins floating and Bews in the wings. At least not riddled by injury a la 2023, but I hate to think how seesaw anxious we’ll all be expecting a finals flogging or close game. We’ve got ability but get the bloody team right and experimental free.
Yeah I think they've gone and got a couple of matches into players they don't want to drop into finals having only played VFL recently so that's a bonus. We can get back to something more like a best 23.

Watching this game live and seeing so many of our players not have the ability to use their opposite foot really highlights a lack of left footers in this team. It seems in the modern football landscape very little discussion is given to which foot a player kicks with, but this game is still bilateral and having left footers to open up the left side can be such a major difference. I can't count the amount of times a player would banana, scrub kick or completely stop and baulk back into traffic to get back on the right foot. Frustrating.
Humphries ability to kick off both was all this forum talked about for a week recently.

I didn’t see any kicks, or even any kicks where the left was needed. The game was all scrums and hacking, then bomb into forward on a wing and a prayer. The game has changed since HB rule upended, and there’s a larger element of luck that’s causing close games. Baulking back out of a pack is like a basketball move to gain space to kick. Normally that’s a hack with no time to change foot approach anyway. I get what you are saying, but they don’t get much time to elect the left foot or be in any way precise.

With the way we've been playing, he's a better option then Hawk, our inside 50s are dirty and Neale can contest that type of high long bomb, Hawk is stronger and smarter with positioning but if it's coming like it is he won't give us much.

*Edit, what I trying to say is Neale earns a spot, O Henry is very lucky to be getting picked each game
The problem is Neale does not contest the long high bomb. Rarely gets near it.

Look, I'm not saying we're a great shot at beating the Swans, but I think it's by far our best shot at beating anyone except maybe Freo
Likewise, I think Swans supporters would probably say Geelong at the SCG is the best chance they have at winning their first final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is Neale does not contest the long high bomb. Rarely gets near it.

He was last week - got a few goals from it

But maybe we could stop the high bombs and instead try kicking to our forwards advantage

No he didnt. Thats misinformation. Rohan also only played 2 and half qtrs. Kicked a critical goal when the game was on the line, provided defensive pressure and was coming off a concussion.

Rohan must get the medium foward spot ahead of henry if we are to have any hope this season. But like cameron and stewart he may take a game or two before he gets back to pre concussion form.
My apologies. 5 possessions, no tackles, and 1 gift goal out the back from 10 metres out.

Build the bloke a statue

It dawned on me tonight how crucial the on-field leadership of Hawkins and Cam Guth has been for us over the years. We really missed it tonight.

Oh come on. He was coming off concussion. How did cameron and stewart go coming off concussion? Our return to form this year coincided with a string of really good rohan games. Just 6 weeks ago. Better then anything henry has played this year. And at worst rohan was no worse then ollie henry was tonight. In my view he was noticably better.

A couple of weeks ago you wrote off stanley and he played a blinder last week. Was far from our worst tonight too.
You love to quote stats, so I will give you a stat line:

28 disposals, 19 kicks, 9 handballs, 7 marks, 1 goal, 3 contested marks, 10 clearances, 541 metres gained.

That was Rohan Marshall’s stat line. Who was Marshall’s opponent?

"Cats soil themselves" is the polite way of putting it. Played for half a game and crapped ourselves for the other half. You can't play part time football in finals. Seriously, this finals series could get ugly.

Just got home .

Our train had a lady pass out then 10 - 15 mins later was ok....sort of.

While our train had to stop because the train at the station ahead .
Really had someone pass out of something waited forever then an ampo was called.

And lost the footy .

Season 3 April GIF by Parks and Recreation

Not overly disappointed as I don't think we are much good and thought we would get beat anyway.

Henry and Neale are 2 of the softest footballers I have ever seen represent this club. Both talented and do the odd good thing, but generally end up being a non event.

Jeremy Cameron is fast becoming an overpaid downhill skier. Goes missing way to often to be considered anywhere near the best players in the competition. Struggles to do the basics, like hit a 20 metre pass to a guy in space and then tries some fancy rubbish rather than doing the obvious. Is non competitive again in the air.

Tonight there were issues all over the ground, but to me the majority start with the insipid efforts from our forwards who once again managed to make the opposition key defenders look like superstars. Compete or piss off.

Ollie Henry I'd be happy to see never play again, deadset liability.

Say what you like but giving up 13 goals 5 in a half to a Ross Lyon team is unforgivable. It’s a players thing. Nothing to do with C Scott who is trying everything to ring out every once of talent we have.

Stewart in the midfield isn’t working. It works at the stoppages for sure but he can’t run like a modern midfielder. At the ground he goes nowhere. Like Danger they just don’t spread. If the game goes the other way we are cooked.

It also takes away our one wood of dictating what the other team does fwd of the ball. Kolo and Henry are good footballers but they need Stewarts pure football nous. Guthrie was doing that but he’s dropped away.

Atkins and Bkitz were woeful (again). Knevitt was non existing on his wing. I just don’t know what the hell Duncan, Mullin ect are doing. Holmes is now in btw roles every second week.

The midfield is the worst in the league and we spend all kinds of funky ways trying to cover for them. Cameron trying to play that connector role that Blitz and Danger usual do. SDK in the ruck.

A well over 30 and past their best Stanley, Danger and Blitz with a Bowes, Atkins and Mannagh is a VFL midfield. Apologies to Danger who is still our best player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back