Autopsy Cats lose to Lions by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only game I've seen live at the ground this season and it was "one of those".

Had plenty of distractions around me in the stands, but what was obvious from the full-ground pov was the discrepancy between the two sides in terms of effort around the ball.

No-one wins a game that way.

When we did get our hands on it I thought we actually moved the ball more smoothly than them. But we hardly had it.

Scott likes to challenge his interviewers to do the analysis themselves rather than he himself giving anything away tactically.

Here's my uneducated take: this side is treating the entire H&A as a glorified practice match. The focus today was seeing how our defensive back six cope with a barrage of entries against a (fairly) dangerous forward line.

There are areas of our game that were simply non-existent today. Clearance work. Forward pressure. How do you explain it? Those aren't areas that an experienced side like we have suddenly forget how to execute from one week to the next. However they are areas that can be difficult to maintain at a high level by the same players for multiple weeks in a row.

Call me naive but I just think we're looking at a team in full tournament mode. Until we get to the knockout phases, don't pay much attention. It's an exercise in data gathering more than anything else.
Interesting take.
Surely if true, that shows a risky degree of hubris that could come unstuck.
Yet it may be at this point that they have decided it is better to go at it this year from outside the top 4.
We still need to win those other games….

Last edited:
If we see Mullin in the 23 again I will conclude that we are tanking.

Hes a kid and raw but hes nowhere near AFL standard against a top 4 side, was a complete liability yet again once he came on.

Arrogance to play him over the multitide of better options we now have available
Trying to keep him interested? The pull to go home is probably quite strong for those Irish boys. Australia would seem like another planet.

I'm with Baudolino they've learned cheats tricks the Lions.
Stepping over the boundary so may times without penalty, and a few of them flopping when over the ball with the fake push in the back.
Taking lessons from Joe gum.
Not the sort of sneaky skill that's going to escape finals umps.

Anyway we were sheeet and absolute monty we would try harder at the last gasp. A few light weights poncing around too.
I also noticed they threw the head back a few times.
Hipwood, McCluggage, Zorko, Neale (he’s always been horrific for it) to name a few.
Daniher is on a different level though. At the slightest bit of contact he either dives forward or goes straight to ground.

Might want to try getting a kick before he starts spraying blokes, reeked of entitlement didn't like it at all personally.
Lol what?? He’s one of the clubs all time greats. He’s a leader.
He IS entitled to give his team mates a spray.
Was brilliant to see.
Utterly bizarre take.

Sometimes saying "We think our best is good enough to beat anyone" just doesn't work. You actually have to produce your 'best', which in itself begs a lot of questions.

In footy everything is relative; the other teams aren't just static entities; they change and evolve; they might actually want to win the game as much or even more than you do.

In the moment I thought 'good, at least we have one bloke out there who cares'.
I can’t understand how anyone wouldn’t be happy with it. It shows heart. We had like 13 inside 50s for a half.
Maybe Hawk would get a kick if the ball was actually down there.
Really odd take from that poster.
Would he rather the players just stand there hands on hips and be happy with a poor performance?

The team has had travel sickness all year having lost all of their away trips interstate. That is not the form of a top 8 team. They avoided disaster last night, but it was a disastrous result all the same. After looking at Collingwood beating Port, be thankful we won't run into either of them come finals time if by some miracle they actually make it. Geelong would be cleaned up by these sides very easily in September. I don't think they'll get close in their two H&A matches before then. It's season over Cats fans and the real danger is still believing they are a danger to any team.

Last edited:
I can’t understand how anyone wouldn’t be happy with it. It shows heart. We had like 13 inside 50s for a half.
Maybe Hawk would get a kick if the ball was actually down there.
Really odd take from that poster.
Would he rather the players just stand there hands on hips and be happy with a poor performance?

That he walked a good distance to have a say speaks to how concerned he was with what he was seeing.

It was leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been stringing ourselves along with hopes of making finals and finding form for most of the year.

It'll continue on after we smoke Freo easily at home next week... People's hope meter will falsely rise once again.

IMO we have not looked up to it all year.

Selwood and Guthrie out of the guts is probably just enough to bring us right back to the pack.

How we are not playing Knevitt is a bit disappointing.

Moreover, our 'best' is not good enough to beat anyone - not this season. Others have improved and we've regressed. Yes we've had injuries but we did after all field the oldest team ever in the GF last year.

Danger is no longer in his pomp. Duncan kicks to the oppo. Hawkins misses gettable shots, as does Cameron. SDK has not quite reached his 2022 level. Stengle is not the same.

And our mids as a unit struggle to match others - Port, the Pies, the Dees, the Dogs have stronger mid groups and the list probably doesn't stop there.

The flag will be won by one of the current top 4 and on the evidence to date the Pies have got the mental edge over the rest.

The team has had travel sickness all year having lost all of their away trips interstate. That is not the form of a top 8 team. They avoided disaster last night, but it was a disastrous result all the same. After looking at Collingwood beating Port, be thankful we won't run into either of them come finals time if by some miracle they actually make it. Geelong would be cleaned up by these sides very easily in September. I don't think they'll get close in their two H&A matches before then. It's season over Cats fans and the real danger is still believing they are a danger to any team.

Not quite

We beat WCE during Gather Round, and drew with Sydney at the SCG

Lol what?? He’s one of the clubs all time greats. He’s a leader.
He IS entitled to give his team mates a spray.
Was brilliant to see.
Utterly bizarre take.
Dont sit in the forward line guarding grass then go down and spray the defence when the midfield has been destroyed all game long, that's not leadership.

Sometimes saying "We think our best is good enough to beat anyone" just doesn't work. You actually have to produce your 'best', which in itself begs a lot of questions.

In footy everything is relative; the other teams aren't just static entities; they change and evolve; they might actually want to win the game as much or even more than you do.
Thinking about your best doesn't get it done. Pies and Port showed was hunger for the ball was last night.

Trying to keep him interested? The pull to go home is probably quite strong for those Irish boys. Australia would seem like another planet.
If hes too much of a sook to work hard and earn a spot let the guy go home, I'm not one for spoon feeding games and carrying guys a mile off standard when a premiership is on the line.

Dont sit in the forward line guarding grass then go down and spray the defence when the midfield has been destroyed all game long, that's not leadership.

The ball wasn't getting to our forward line for him to do anything but watch.

He didn't like what he saw, so he had a say.

It was leadership. Someone had to tell some truths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back