Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are talking types of studs (screw ins or moulds)
I was referring moreso to whether or not the player has the choice, on the day, as to what stud length and pattern is used, or whether it's dictated to them.
Oh! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Sad Shame GIF

Sorry guys ☺️

Carry on 🤭

I favour someone like Knevitt or O'Connor for that.

Rohan is the best player by ability outside 22 (im assuming he will just miss out for OH and neale) and he offers us impact but not versatility (ie he only comes on for a fwd).
Tuohy knevitt or oconnor are lesser players right now but would give more sub versatility (moc is injured though anyway).

Rhys tends to do well against the more “finesse” rucks, and can sometimes get bullied by the clumsy behemoths.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened against a fit Darcy.

Or is a fit Darcy an oxymoron?

It is. Darcys long contract will be a millstone for them.

Tuohy is another i think could have an impact in that role

My view is that you want the sub to be someone who can cover an injury in any part of the ground (except possibly ruck), or who can have an immediate impact as a tactical sub. Therefore the sub should ideally be sort of medium-utility size, and able to play in a variety of positions. I don't want to see a ruckman, tiny midfielder, or key position tall as the sub. 2E would be a good choice too, but I'm not sure he's ever actually been 23rd man.

No one really has meaningful individual match ups other than key position players these days do they? From what I can tell watching on tv Close spends a lot of time closing space through the midfield when opposition have the ball, but the beauty of his game is on the transition to attack where he so often gets involved using a smart touch to set up a scoring chain.

Whoever was nearest to him usually corridor. He got sent to where Freo wanted to move the ball to and pressured the chain through running to prevent the chain of handballs out of the back half through the middle that we look vulnerable to.

So I would say it's not incorrect to say his direct opponent was Justin Longmuir and that he won that match up.
Clark, Chapman and Walker racked up the touches. Walker spent the day giving Stengle a bath so Close was probably on Clark or Chapman. Both among the best players on the ground.

I don't think Close did anything to consider it a good game.

Who comes in for Bruhn next week? You would think Rohan but we need the midfield rotation surely. Saints only strength against us is their midfield would be silly to let them keep that advantage.

Maybe we bring in Hardie... :sweatsmile:

Mullin to get a full match 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who comes in for Bruhn next week? You would think Rohan but we need the midfield rotation surely. Saints only strength against us is their midfield would be silly to let them keep that advantage.

Maybe we bring in Hardie... :sweatsmile:
Simple changes would be

In SDK, Rohan
Out Bruhn injured, Mullin dropped

But i would like another mid to come in and rest OH since he got hurt this week

Clark, Chapman and Walker racked up the touches. Walker spent the day giving Stengle a bath so Close was probably on Clark or Chapman. Both among the best players on the ground.

Freo's defenders got a lot of touches but did nothing with them.

Playing kick to kick in the backline isn't exactly damaging

So watched the replay - it does give you a different perspective than watching it live (always happy to do both - in particular on a nice sunny day with a win)

So Danger’s game to me was better on replay. I think live I was so tense and a bit frustrated that he missed a few chances to put it away (as well as take some easier options early in the game where he misses some players in better spots). But on replay I saw the shear will to get us over the line. Fingers crossed he doesn’t have to do that over next two weeks so can conserve his heroics to the finals

Overall it was a strange game to watch. We adapted our game plan to match theirs and whilst it didn’t make for a pretty game, it helped the win! Our pressure was immense and it isn’t just the tackles but the way our younger players in particular guard space and block options is very impressive.

Going through some of the Cats players (in AFL fanstay points order for what that is worth!)

Miers. His role as evolved now Mannagh has taken over the contested part (miers 17 uncontested out of his 23) but if Miers builds form from his last two weeks into finals we will go up another gear. Yes his short kicks can look ugly (~50% efficiency with high uncontested isn’t great but reflects he is always trying the hard option) when they don’t come off but 6 score involvements and a sneaky goal of the year contender will do just fine

Danger. 14 contested and 11 clearances out of 20 shows the effort. I would love just a couple more handballs or short kicks but that is not just him - so be it! Need captain Pat fit and ready in finals and anything could happen

Blitz. This was a funny one for me. Firstly I am clouded by how much I love the bloke! Secondly I was really happy to see him shift down back as his year has been poor (other than in the ruck). We have better wing options and he has been poor in the middle. 9 intercept (out of 16) makes sense given defensive role and he did add some grunt back there. I just got so frustrated with the left foot - coming out of the backline is a killer! But I wouldn’t mind seeing him down back again next week and give SDK one more week

Dempsey. Like last week Another “almost great game”. Should have kicked 3 and it would have been great. It shows the standards we now expect that a 20 and a goal game now makes me thinking we could have got more! What was interesting to me was the 14 contested possessions (last week the proportion was reversed) which shows he can play multiple ways. Impacted his efficiency (as well as missing goals!) but I don’t mind seeing something new in his game. 70% of possessions in defensive half despite playing forward more this week. 8 intercept possessions which is new. Another great game is coming soon

Zuthrie. Had a couple of tough moments but wow what a last qtr. 80% efficiency coming out of backline is critical!

Holmes. Felt like his best game for a while - despite lower numbers. Just looked sharp and dangerous. Only 2 CBA and I expect he will settle into backline for the finals?

Cameron. Funny game. Great start and thought we were going to be on…but then ended up having to go to wing late to get involved. 1 goal from 4 shots is his lowest for a while but still 8 score involvements. Tackling intent great

Stewart. Don’t know what to make of it. 0 clearances either in centre (16 attendances) or around the ground and only 4 contested possessions and 4 intercepts. Yet I still felt he played ok. Might have to watch again and see if he was tagged?

Atkins/Bowes had solid games. I would like to see Bowes in CBA more as that is where he does best imo. 15 tackles between them and held our own in the MF

Humpries just another lazy 88% efficient game! Yes 80% of his possessions were uncontested but he is quickly saying to me that we won’t need Duncan off the half back soon. Humphries had 5 inside 50s. Could be a finals gem

Stanley was frankly great. Maybe that is just compared to my expectations but still feels the same. We need to manage him so he can play finals in this mannagh.

Speaking of Mannagh! One of a few players (including our captain, Jezza, Dempsey) who might win us a final. A better mix of uncontested poss. In fact as good as he is in tight I would like him more in the open to use his class. 15 and 2 goals I will take every week thank you

Neale. I loved his game. Contested hard. 100% of his disposals involved a score!!! Will end up better than those much touted King boys!!

Whilst Close stats looks same as Stengle I thought completely different impact on the game. Close is our quiet achiever who does what we need. I like the fact that they can swap him on wing with Dempsey - Close sprints are elite. Stengle very quite which can happen with this game style

O Henry can look quite but again 6 of his 8 touches involved scores. He is normally a great kick so could easily have had 3 goals and turn it into a very good game. Carrying an injury it seems? Brother Jack ok.

The two old blokes I thought were ineffectual. Which is surprising given how slow the game was. Duncan has been ok so a down game doesn’t worry me too much. Between them they had 3 contested possessions and very very little impact. I honestly don’t think against fast teams we can have both of them in the 22

Overall to equalise in clearances and inside 50s (although a lot of that was skewed to last quarter) against that midfield was very impressive. Our HHF played a role in that. Only 1 player over 20 possessions (4 had 20) reflects game style. Pressure was immense which in the end is critical to finals. I am going to choose to believe from now on!

Have to love how most teams have had to bottom out at some stage in order to be competitive, yet we generally finish in finals and rebuild on the fly.

14 of the 23 players we had yesterday had made their club debut since 2019: Atkins, Bowes, Bruhn, Cameron, Close, Dempsey, Ollie Henry, Holmes, Humphries, Mannagh, Miers, Mullin, Neale and Stengle.
And half of those hungry to win first premiership in 2024, two years after a handfull of them got their first

Luke Ryan would’ve played the worst 36 possession 15 marks game I’ve ever seen.
What a boring way to get your kicks and marks.
Got found out several times yesterday when he actually had to defend

Couldn't agree more. The same goes for Jordan Clark. Though at least Ryan got close to an opponent at some point yesterday.

It wasn't a flawless game from Blicavs, but he didn't look too uncomfortable or unsure in defence which was a positive

There were a couple/few times where we got caught out on transition with players not necessarily understanding when to switch or pushing back that little bit quicker to help out - but the was across the board and not just down to one or two players

It seemed an obvious move to me with the cloud over SDK and Blicavs has, frankly, been a liability in the forward half for about a month. He's played AA calibre footy there over his career and our other talls back there: Henry and Kolodjashnij had great games, I'd bet Blicavs' presence had a fair bit to do with that.

Couldn't agree more. The same goes for Jordan Clark. Though at least Ryan got close to an opponent at some point yesterday.
Would love a left footed Clark on our wing (sans shit attitude), gets the right amount of rebound and inside 50s, gets a lot of the ball and has pace to burn and gets the metres gained stat ticking over.

But his ball use can be lacking, had more of the ball than Holmes and yet if you had to pick one Holmes was significantly better than him. But then I wonder if the ball use is down to systems and coaching and that had Clark stayed at Geelong he would be a better version of what he does at Fremantle.

It seemed an obvious move to me with the cloud over SDK and Blicavs has, frankly, been a liability in the forward half for about a month. He's played AA calibre footy there over his career and our other talls back there: Henry and Kolodjashnij had great games, I'd bet Blicavs' presence had a fair bit to do with that.
Honestly with how good SDK was around the ball when he was in the ruck in the Blicavs role, when he was having 20 disposal matches from midfield they were better used and more damaging. I hope when SDK comes back Stanley stays in 1st ruck, SDK takes 2nd ruck and Blicavs goes into KPD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back