windsock

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2002
x
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Seems Paul Chambers has walked out on the Swans before he's played out a year with his new club. Lack of passion for the game apparently. Wasted second rounder for the Swannies.

Sure, that hasn't impacted on the club now. But with an ageing list, that's not a pick they can afford to just lose for nothing.

Do Kangas fans think someone in Sydney should lose their job because of this? Or would that be an over-reaction?

windsock said:
Seems Paul Chambers has walked out on the Swans before he's played out a year with his new club. Lack of passion for the game apparently. Wasted second rounder for the Swannies.

Sure, that hasn't impacted on the club now. But with an ageing list, that's not a pick they can afford to just lose for nothing.

Do Kangas fans think someone in Sydney should lose thier job because of this? Or would that be an over-reaction?
Dean?

Giving up anything for that deplorable excuse for a footballer is just ridiculous. I reckon it was a dare. You know, we just won the flag and we can do whatever we like type thing.

windsock said:

Do Kangas fans think someone in Sydney should lose their job because of this? Or would that be an over-reaction?

Maybe he got lured to Sydney on a false pretense and spat it ? If thats the case, would you blame him ? He wouldnt be the first player to walk due to lack of opportunity or believing he wasnt ever going to get a look in.

year of the roo said:
It could have been worse, they could have given up 2 first rounders for him.

Who did that? If you're talking Thommo, it's a stupid comparison. I can't think of another player North traded for 2 first round draft selections. And I dare you to prove otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just throwing up a scenario.

I would have thought the parallels between this case and Powell were more evident than him and Hay. I recall more than one poster suggesting this alone should be a hanging offence for someone at the club.

Nip/Tuck said:
ok,

evidently you're comparing two first rounders for Jon Hay to a second rounder for Chambers.

I don't get it.

You need to brush up on your knowledge of trades from last year, champ.

Firstly, was Powell on that much (and do we still have to pay it) and secondly, does he have a psychological disorder?

Dunno where the Hay parallels are coming. Last I knew he was still on our list.

windsock said:
Firstly, was Powell on that much (and do we still have to pay it) and secondly, does he have a psychological disorder?

Dunno where the Hay parallels are coming. Last I knew he was still on our list.

With respect windsock, you should probably analyse your own posts along the same lines as you don't seem to have any problems drawing vague parrallels to defend the coach.

sput1956 said:
With respect windsock, you should probably analyse your own posts along the same lines as you don't seem to have any problems drawing vague parrallels to defend the coach.

I am probably less defending the coach, and more trying to illustrate the fact that stuff ups occur at all clubs at all times, regardless of their success or who is running the place.

Some people have been eager to label the Powell scenario as one of the symptoms of all that is wrong with the coach, the club and the recruiting department. Again, I'd argue this sort of thing happens all the time, regardless of how professional the outfit calling the shots is.

Look at the Kangas under Curly in 1996. How could we lose a kid like Eric Lissenden (who probably wasn't going to make it in all honesty) at a time when the coach and club were at the peak of their powers?

And while it's hard to defend the Hay debacle (which may, of course turn around, but I'm not banking on it) I'd also argue this type of recruiting blunder can arise no matter how well reseached the club might be. Dean went to a lot of effort to investigate this bloke - remember, just one of the things we know about was his decision to fly up to the Gold Coast (paid for out of his own pocket) for a weekend to check on how keen he was - but you can only do so much.

How much should Adelaide - who had Neil Craig on the coaching staff at the time - have known about Duck's neck injury when they gave up picks 4 (2) and 20 (18) for him in 2002. Perhaps a rigorous medical check may have uncovered this, and saved them the embarrassment down the track. Maybe they'd never have been able to uncover it. But that's the risk in any trade, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind - I just want this type of thing on the record. As North supporters, we know there is nothing more frustrating than when people don't bother knowing all the facts when they're knocking us.

It's even more galling when the knoicks come from our own supporters who are either unaware of the whole picture, or even worse, choose to ignore it simply because it doesn't fit in with their desire to kick a bloke who is doing all he can for the betterment of OUR club.

windsock said:
I was just throwing up a scenario.

I would have thought the parallels between this case and Powell were more evident than him and Hay. I recall more than one poster suggesting this alone should be a hanging offence for someone at the club.

See my earlier post. Without realising how this thread would evolve, Powell was the first "thing" I thought of.

The Hay saga, on the other hand, is fairly unique in the history of football I reckon. The way he was playing in the end (possibly due to illness) made Paul Chambers look like a champion by comparison.

Benno_900 said:
Hay did more for us (beneficially) than Chambers did for them. So by ONLY looking at these deals, the 2 first rounders seem reasonable. But that is the ONLY way they'll seem reasonable.

At least Hay got a kick in his first 7 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Chambers walks out on Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back