Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

The way Craigy was talking on 9 tonight, you'd have to think he's gonna drop Walker and bring in Hentschel.

Also Reid did say that Bock was 2 to 3 weeks away.

Apparently what Bock has is another one of those rarities that seldom happen - like Roo's fkg parvo disease.

We are cursed with weird injuries when it comes finals times.:thumbsdown:

Davis and Sloane in would be HUGE for this club, it would show that Craigy is serious about continuing to invest time in the kids even when top 8 positioning is on the line.

The youth, or "play the kids" fallacy.

If Davis or Sloane get a game, it will not be because they are young, or because of some fictional youth policy.

It will be because they are considered to be in the best fit 22 players this weekend, with respect to team balance. If they do not get a game, it is for the same reason. No more, no less.

The youth, or "play the kids" fallacy.

If Davis or Sloane get a game, it will not be because they are young, or because of some fictional youth policy.

It will be because they are considered to be in the best fit 22 players this weekend, with respect to team balance. If they do not get a game, it is for the same reason. No more, no less.

Gee, well done on throwing a lecture down to someone who shares a very much similar viewpoint and hence does not at all need a lecture.

Certainly I do not subscribe to a "play the kids because they are young, or because of a youth policy" stance despite what you seem to suspect. There are those on here who fear that Craig will be reluctant to play an inexperienced or even untried footballer when crunch time arrives, even if form warrants selection. Rory Sloane and/or Phil Davis coming into the side for one of the most important games of our season would be a damning statement from the club and from Neil himself, that despite what the doubters have been saying in recent weeks, he will STILL reward form (though Davis could've chosen a better time to put last weekend's performance up apparently) regardless of age and/or experience barriers, and with the added bonus of getting valuable games into our younger stocks.

Does anyone think that the AFC are playing ducks & drakes? So far we've had Cornes suggesting that Davis & Sloane will debut (6th & 7th debutants for 2009), while Craig is busily pumping up Hentschell's tyres.

The only change being forced upon us is Burton, assuming he doesn't recover from his injury. For us to make 2 unforced changes would be unusual - but not without precedent. It's quite conceivable that Walker could be dropped after his worst ever outing in Crows colours and Otten could be given a well earned rest, to recharge his batteries ahead of his first ever finals campaign. Alternatively, they could send Douglas back to the SANFL (again) - following another typical performance by him last weekend, being neither better nor worse than his usual fare.

Right now, the Crows head shed need to work out what they're going to do about Walker. At SANFL level he has all the confidence in the world, regularly booting bags of goals and looking like a world beater. He gets promoted to the AFL and looks like a shadow of himself. It HAS to be about confidence - so what can they do to help him get his mojo back?

I really hope they keep Walker in this week.

Look at Burton, he came back (admittedly from a long time out) and looked shaky as hell, but the week afterwards he was better. We've had examples like this all year. Pretty much every Crows ruckman for the entire season has played better in each successive match they've had (Griffin is the only question mark there). I'm sure Walker IS down on confidence - after all, he got dropped from the side and then spent a month desperately trying to get back. Now that he is back I hope they give him at least a couple of chances to get the hang of things again.

If he turns out another couple of games like last week, or if he plays terribly this weekend and an SANFL player is demanding a match, then he goes, but surely not after one match. Have we dropped any player after only one match so far this season? (Not including injury). Possibly it happened to Cook or Petrenko at some stage but I'd say pretty much not at all.

Edit: Apparently both of Cook and Petrenko. Cook after round 1, Petrenko after round 12. Hmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think that the AFC are playing ducks & drakes? So far we've had Cornes suggesting that Davis & Sloane will debut (6th & 7th debutants for 2009), while Craig is busily pumping up Hentschell's tyres.

The only change being forced upon us is Burton, assuming he doesn't recover from his injury. For us to make 2 unforced changes would be unusual - but not without precedent. It's quite conceivable that Walker could be dropped after his worst ever outing in Crows colours and Otten could be given a well earned rest, to recharge his batteries ahead of his first ever finals campaign. Alternatively, they could send Douglas back to the SANFL (again) - following another typical performance by him last weekend, being neither better nor worse than his usual fare.

Right now, the Crows head shed need to work out what they're going to do about Walker. At SANFL level he has all the confidence in the world, regularly booting bags of goals and looking like a world beater. He gets promoted to the AFL and looks like a shadow of himself. It HAS to be about confidence - so what can they do to help him get his mojo back?

Very simple.

At the moment he's hesitant, lacks confidence and is thinking about his 2nd efforts rather than the first efforts which are the ones we want Walker to shine in.

Stop filling his head with all the other bullshit and just tell him to go out there and play footy, get the ball and kick goals.

On that point m23, I'm not sure I subscribe to this theory that we're overcomplicating things for Walker and he's too busy thinking about things other than kicking goals out there. Mind you, I don't know for sure but to be honest last week we basically didn't go to him once in the entire first half. If he was lacking confidence midgame it was probably because he was bypassed for Tippett at every available oppurtunity. When he did finally get a chance at the ball in the second half he stuffed it up a couple of times and then we stopped going to him again.

Without knowing for sure, I'm willing to bet the club is being very careful not to overwhelm him with instructions and is basically just telling him "try to win the ball when it's in your area and if the opponent has it try to put pressure on him". To my eye they're not really using Walker as part of a zone or anything, just expecting him to put pressure on the defenders when they're held up by the other players zoning.

I think that Walker looking confused is just what he naturally looks like :p

Very simple.

At the moment he's hesitant, lacks confidence and is thinking about his 2nd efforts rather than the first efforts which are the ones we want Walker to shine in.

Stop filling his head with all the other bullshit and just tell him to go out there and play footy, get the ball and kick goals.

:thumbsu: and leave him in the f******* side to get confidence at AFL level.

Edit: Apparently both of Cook and Petrenko. Cook after round 1, Petrenko after round 12. Hmm.
Cook was in & out of the side like a yo-yo at the start of the year. In for R1, out for R2-4, back in for 2 games, then sent back to South Adelaide for good.

Petrenko's selection in R12 really only came about as a result of injury to Johncock. Stiffy returned the following week - and Super Pets was back to WWT. Yes, it was a 1-game stint, but I'd discount it from the "being dropped after one game" bracket as the position was never really his to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back