Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Preliminary Final vs. Sydney Swans, Saturday 17/09, 4:45pm, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, flu had been through much of the team, no De Goey and with Brown playing it’s like playing with 14 players given the damage Callum Brown does anytime he’s near the ball or the players, or even the club itself.

He’s a black hole of terrible that should never be allowed near the senior side again.

I doubt we will look as bad as we did then

Funniest part is, despite all that, we still probably could have won that game
Rubbish- CB was very good for the short time he was on the ground. Best and most composed he’s been all year.
Credit where credit’s is due.

Why was Fly so evasive about Moore's illness at his presser on Saturday night? I found it odd that he would say Darcy had spent days in bed and was touch and go to play as late as Saturday morning, and then wouldn't say what the illness was. Whatever it was, he recovered amazingly well. I just hope he didn't pass it along to any other players. Further to the discussion on WHE, there's no way in hell he gets dropped this week. Bianco stays as well.
Everybody is a little sensitive these days when it comes to cold/flu symptoms due to the rona. Maybe he was just being careful with what he said in case it got misconstrued or taken out of context?

Rubbish- CB was very good for the short time he was on the ground. Best and most composed he’s been all year.
Credit where credit’s is due.

Please stop saying silly things born from your need to defend every player on the list

At one point, Callum was running through the middle and you could literally see the precise moment his brain broke and he just stopped and had no idea what he was doing

Please stop saying silly things born from your need to defend every player on the list

At one point, Callum was running through the middle and you could literally see the precise moment his brain broke and he just stopped and had no idea what he was doing
Disagree - he was much better than his previous AFL game. DE 86% and 14 disposals in half a game is a good effort.

Maybe you should send an email to Fly correcting his view on Bianco’s performance.
There are too many inflexible and biased views here on both CB and Bianco.
That’s the problem, not my defence of them.

Last edited:
Why was Fly so evasive about Moore's illness at his presser on Saturday night? I found it odd that he would say Darcy had spent days in bed and was touch and go to play as late as Saturday morning, and then wouldn't say what the illness was. Whatever it was, he recovered amazingly well. I just hope he didn't pass it along to any other players. Further to the discussion on WHE, there's no way in hell he gets dropped this week. Bianco stays as well.
Maybe Moore had covid and the club pretended he had something less sinister because it knew that all would be lost if Moore had to isolate 5 days and could not play. Of course, the club would be required to observe all protocols and would not cover up a covid case. Like you, I found Fly's evasive answer a little strange but really have no explanation for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time we played Sydney at the G, Jolly was our ruck, Q stick was our full forward, Jordan Russell was streaming off half-back for us, and Nelson Mandela was still alive.

I think it’s only fair that this game be moved to the MCG so that more than a few thousand people can attend who even know what they’re watching.
I agree. We need some Geelong fanboys go into bat for us to get the match moved to a more suitable venue like the MCG.

I'm just guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised if players were allowed to play with COVID now, especially after how the Comm Games dealt with it. I wonder.

Although I doubt he would've been singing the team song etc. so I take that back!

We are better now than we were in our last clash and can certainly win if we bring it and bring it HARD.
Maynard looked super sore against Freo and a bit off from his normal wrecking ball self. I hope it’s nothing too bad, I would love to see him play some centre clearances this week and steam roll some of those pretty boy swans up good. Hunger wins this game lads, and I think we are favourites in that department right now.

As a Geelong local, I’d love a Pies Lions Grand Final. If I’m no good in the ballot, I shouldn’t have any problem booking out an entire beer garden somewhere close to go nuts in by myself.

Hi all, long time lurker. Decided it was finally time to join the conversation!

I don't think there will be any changes for the Prelim. Throughout the season, the coaches have more often than not backed-in a winning line-up. Can't see that changing now. I'm confident the coaches and players will have learned from their mistakes in round 22, and will make tactical adjustments, as opposed to personnel changes. Go Pies!

Just watched the game again. Bianco did some questionable things and did some okay things. I’d prefer JC because I think he’ll get you a shot on goal a game and you want that hardiness in the midfield
Problem is we need to play in the midfield - thus need a wingman. Bianco knows the role and runs to the right spots offensively and defensively. Can we trust Carmichael to do that - probably not having played the position before.

For those who love a deep-dive into the stats, this is a great website.

In relation to Clearances, we are even in Center clearances. However, the Swans are much better in stoppage clearances.

Interstingly, the Swans tend not to take as many intercept marks as you may think. They’re happy to spoil the ball and bring the ball to ground (above average in ground ball gets) or force a stoppage (above average).

Look at the “Contest” section of that table. Swans defenders only lose than 24% of defensive 1-on-1 (4th). However, their forwards win 30% of their I50’s 1-on-1.

The above 1-on-1 stats coupled with their efficient scoring accuracy means we’ll need to ensure the ball is living in our forward line.

In relation to contested possessions, they have 6 players (7 but Ladhams) in the top 100. In total, these 6 players average 60 CPs per game(average 10 for 6 players). We only have 4 in the top 100 and average about 36.4 (9.1 for 4 players).

We have to breakeven in CPs. If we lose CPs and with the Sydney’s forward line potency, we are leaving our defence vulnerable.

Sydney’s losses & CPs differential:
Dogs: -24
Lions: -6
Suns: -15
Blues: -24
Port: +2
Bombers: -8

In their 17 wins, they have won CPs 12 times, lost 4 and drew 1 time.

Summary, when the Swans lose the CP count, they win less than 45% of their games (4/9). When the Swans win/breakeven the CP, they win 92% of their games (13/14).

Hey gents, not sure where to post this but was wondering where would be a good live venue in Melbourne to watch the game on Saturday? Im from the country and have booked some accommodation in the city. I was thinking of heading into the heartland (Collingwood) to get around the atmosphere, but im not even sure if thats a thing. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back