Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could be a decoy to be honest. Make Hawks go taller defence. They are potentially already bringing in Serong for Frost but could also bring in Ethan Philips too but port will only have the 3 balls not 4 & McEntee stays in. Whether that makes a difference, who knows 🤷 could also mean that Esava will be playing back in defence again.

Heard Tredreas comments re Sinn in and Dixon out. Leave Evans in drop one of Narkle or cheese DBJ forward, also Marshall in.

Does the footy committee recommend team selection and then Ken chooses what he wants?

Is Tredrea giving his thoughts as that’s what he’d do? As in kinda saying when Ken leaves Dixon in and it all goes to shit ‘I told ya so’?

Dixon shouldn’t play, if it was a regular season game he’d be dropped.

Footy committee have no control over selection.

No Houston or Farrell has stuffed us unfortunately. If we lost just one I think we could cover it but to lose both has just totally mucked up the team balance. I give us a 5% chance of winning this one.
Tend to disagree on this. Burton is ok cover for Houston, the mistake was shifting DBJ to cover Faz as DBJ is the least accountable player to ever play 100+ games.

Either way, I don't think it's our movement from the back half that was the issue last week, it was our absolutely insipid groundball ability and complete lack of ability to cover post-clearance possession.

That game was 110% lost in the midfield. Wines and Drew being our only on-ballers to crack 20 touches, and even then only just meant we couldn't get meaningful first possession. And then us just letting Mannagh and Miers seagull every post-stoppage possession was the nail in the coffin.

Either way, I don't think it's our movement from the back half that was the issue last week, it was our absolutely insipid groundball ability and complete lack of ability to cover post-clearance possession.

Yep.

Know Port are going to get beat up on the ground ball movements from the forward half more often than not. These teams run forward in great numbers and get ahead of the ball. Pressure through the midfield and into defense is key to create the turnover once the opposition has committed to attack and catch them off guard on the counter.

The way to capitalise is pressure coming into the back half, not the front half, and cause the turnover, 3 very good intercept markers down back. Then fast clean ball movement forward. Have the midfield pace and skill to do it. Slingshot footy and back the players in. One on one Ports tall forwards should be too good if the ball is in there quick from defense. This is where I think a guy like Williams is useful cover for Farrell. Not as quick but absolute precision playmaker and distributor off half back.

... One on one Ports tall forwards should be too good if the ball is in there quick from defense...
Friend, what Port tall forward are you imagining here? Because Dixon has taken 3 marks and kicked zero goals in his last two games, Ratugolea has had zero scoring shots in his last 4 (!!) games, and Marshall - who gets concussed if he sneezes too hard - has kicked 0.3 in his last 4 games.

Based on this it wouldn’t have mattered if we beat Geelong or not, if hawthorn are as invincible as you say they are we would’ve had to beat them in the gf to win the flag anyway.

I honestly think this hawthorn wank fest on here is getting a bit too much. Yeah they will prob beat us and KH sucks but I don’t think I’ve experienced a supporter base in finals gush over an opposition team so much.

Maybe it’s part of the coping mechanism, but it’s a little overstated and getting a little bit repulsive for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its a bit like the GWS Kingsley wankfest, it becomes nauseating after time. Yes stinks is crap but do we have to dribble on about the magnificence of our opponents. Think the loser mentality is spreading right through all elements of the club and supporters.

Hawks are and have been good this season no doubt. You could see it last season just waiting to click. However, what you wrote is horse shit.

Believing port can't win is a load of shit. They can and will. So stop being such a fk wit and support them because they are better than Hawks both as a team, as individuals and as a club.
HS? Have a look at the data across the season. Number for out of contest ground ball gets. Means when the ball leaves the contest and is in dispute - hawks are number one at collecting the ball. Port are brilliant at the contest and terrible outside it. That’s not me - that’s facts.

Small forwards have killed us all season because they push up and back. Hawthorn’s are fast, skilful and confident. They match Geelong’s smalls who killed us.

Meek is a better ruck and very physical. Our modified is better by a long one but the have honest, tough, hard working tryers. If they match us inside or are slightly beaten, they’ll kill us on the outside. Our defence is actually solid at taking marks but terrible when the ball is on the deck - hawthorn’s forward line excels when it’s on the deck.

Our forward line is slow and has two players, their defence is full of no names but is well drilled.

Mitchell has shown he is willing to change things up, thus the dynamism. Hinkley is not.

Hawthorn are less experienced, have key personnel missing, playing a higher ranked team, are away from home and yet the bookies, every expert and champion data give us no chance. Have you seen such a situation before?

Doesn’t mean I like Hawthorn, Mitchell, or port losing.

It means I can’t see how we win this.

I hope we do. I hope we win a flag this year.

And I’ve been a port fan for a long time, spend plenty each year on the club, attend every game. I’ve posted plenty on ways forward. Your opinion Port Patriot is irrelevant but cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no fan of Blighty but loved hearing him during the week explaining how he changed his strategy after finals failure at Geelong to maximise flexibility in the squad

He would play 8 mids but rotated them through both the forward and back flanks all year. Sometimes to that individual results detriment

But come finals at any one time any midfielder could be pushed forward or back to cover

Think McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards, Roo. All spent time mid, forward and back.

lol now no Burton. I know I've said this (like Geelong) will be won and lost on midfield/groundball, but kinda feels like we are ****ed now.

DBJ to stay down back, not go within 15 metres of an opponent and be directly responsible for 5+ oppo goals - lock it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back