Preview Changes & Preview Round 18 - SUNS vs Ports @ PFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have enough working brain cells to look at some basic stats and notice the following averages for this season:

Disposals:

Dixon - 10.4
Marshall - 10

Goals:

Dixon - 1.3
Marshall - 1.25

Marks:

Dixon - 3.9
Marshall - 5.43

Contested marks:

Dixon - 2.1
Marshall - 0.75

Marks inside 50:

Dixon - 2.2
Marshall - 2.87

I would say based on these stats that they have had pretty similar seasons. The only significant discrepancy is that Dixon takes more contested marks but Marshall takes more marks in general (which the eye will tell you - most of Marshall's marks are on the lead whereas Dixon takes his in contest).

I'm sure the Hot Toddy fans will come back with stats about score involvements or something along those lines but it's hard to imagine you are involved in some amazing amount of scores when you only get 10 possessions a game (even Jed McEntee is averaging 8.66 possessions per game in games where he wasn't subbed in or out - and we all know he isn't involved in too much scoring!).

Goal assists

Todd - 0.9
Dixon - 0.4

(And I’m betting that a considerable amount of Dixon’s whopping 4 goal assists this year came from playing ruck rather than kf)

And for Dixon’s output we’ve gone through him an extraordinary amount of times to get those results. If we played through him the same amount as we play through any of our other single kfs like Todd fin or Mitch he would have had half the results he does.

Dixon McEntee Burton lol

I love it

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

And for Dixon’s output we’ve gone through him an extraordinary amount of times to get those results. If we played through him the same amount as we play through any of our other single kfs like Todd fin or Mitch he would have had half the results he does.

Target acquired: Who your club aims for inside 50​

Yartapuulti has had a nearly even split between Charlie Dixon and Todd Marshall over the past two years, with the returning Mitch Georgiades jumping Jeremy Finlayson for third this year, to form the same trio as 2022.

Yartapuulti: Charlie Dixon (76), Todd Marshall (74), Mitch Georgiades (42)

Article written 23 May 2024. At that point in the season Marshall had played 10 games and Dixon had played 9 games so the comparison is pretty much fair.

I thought they'd stick with Narkle and switch Evans and McEntee as sub, but looks like Narkle is going to be named as sub, Evans going to get a full game.

I have enough working brain cells to look at some basic stats and notice the following averages for this season:

Disposals:

Dixon - 10.4
Marshall - 10

Goals:

Dixon - 1.3
Marshall - 1.25

Marks:

Dixon - 3.9
Marshall - 5.43

Contested marks:

Dixon - 2.1
Marshall - 0.75

Marks inside 50:

Dixon - 2.2
Marshall - 2.87

I would say based on these stats that they have had pretty similar seasons. The only significant discrepancy is that Dixon takes more contested marks but Marshall takes more marks in general (which the eye will tell you - most of Marshall's marks are on the lead whereas Dixon takes his in contest).

I'm sure the Hot Toddy fans will come back with stats about score involvements or something along those lines but it's hard to imagine you are involved in some amazing amount of scores when you only get 10 possessions a game (even Jed McEntee is averaging 8.66 possessions per game in games where he wasn't subbed in or out - and we all know he isn't involved in too much scoring!).

Metres gained:

Dixon - 110.6
Marshall - 206.2

Inside 50s:

Dixon - 1.2
Marshall - 2.2

Kicks:

Dixon - 6.3
Marshall - 8

It's pretty clear they're playing a different role for the most part and Marshall is having more of an impact around the ground as a lead up while also having the same scoreboard impact.

Target acquired: Who your club aims for inside 50​

Yartapuulti has had a nearly even split between Charlie Dixon and Todd Marshall over the past two years, with the returning Mitch Georgiades jumping Jeremy Finlayson for third this year, to form the same trio as 2022.

Yartapuulti: Charlie Dixon (76), Todd Marshall (74), Mitch Georgiades (42)

Article written 23 May 2024. At that point in the season Marshall had played 10 games and Dixon had played 9 games so the comparison is pretty much fair.

I would think it’s clear that they’re counting targets inside 50 as delivered it onto the chest of / a direct kick to, and not counting the 100 times we bomb it onto Dixon’s head in a pack as “targeting him”. They would be attributing those kicks to no one, when in reality we’re bombing It onto Charlie’s head as no doubt instructed.

I’ll bet we have a lot more “unattributed to any player” targets than most other teams.

It literally proves how inefficient Dixon’s role is.

I thought they'd stick with Narkle and switch Evans and McEntee as sub, but looks like Narkle is going to be named as sub, Evans going to get a full game.
Crazy to have the same player as the sub for consective weeks, better to drop the player for a full game.
Having sub that, Evans played well as the sub and deserves a full game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think it’s clear that they’re counting targets inside 50 as delivered it onto the chest of / a direct kick to, and not counting the 100 times we bomb it onto Dixon’s head in a pack as “targeting him”. They would be attributing those kicks to no one, when in reality we’re bombing It onto Charlie’s head as no doubt instructed.

I’ll bet we have a lot more “unattributed to any player” targets than most other teams.

It literally proves how inefficient Dixon’s role is.
Or you know, your claims of Dixon dragging all the entries to him is bullshit.

The entire fandom bemoaning our gameplan of bombing it onto Dixon’s head for years being gaslighted.

Lol

It’s not my sole opinion, it’s been a widely accepted fact here for yonks.
I wonder if Marshall was in proximity to contest any of those contests if, you know, contested marking was his thing. If Todd knows where the ball is going maybe it would be an idea to get his 198cm frame into the picture and leap into the contest occasionally. Or maybe he did but its still called bombing it on Dixon's head because he is the only player who marks it or brings it to ground. Well Georgiades does occasionally when he has been playing.

I wonder if Marshall was in proximity to contest any of those contests if, you know, contested marking was his thing. If Todd knows where the ball is going maybe it would be an idea to get his 198cm frame into the picture and leap into the contest occasionally. Or maybe he did but its still called bombing it on Dixon's head because he is the only player who marks it or brings it to ground. Well Georgiades does occasionally when he has been playing.

If Dixon is bringing the ball to the ground in a pack, leaping into the contest is just removing yourself from the contest 98% of the time.

People are too worried about contested marks. A contested mark is a failure of strategy. We should be aiming to generate uncontested marks.

If Dixon is bringing the ball to the ground in a pack, leaping into the contest is just removing yourself from the contest 98% of the time.

People are too worried about contested marks. A contested mark is a failure of strategy. We should be aiming to generate uncontested marks.

Yep, Hawks had roughead who you could do that to, but bruest and gunston always kicked the most especially in finals because of there leading into space

I can't find an up to date stat for targets

But for Offensive 1v1 contests:
Dixon - 4.8
Marshall - 2.0
Georgiades - 1.9

Marks inside 50:
Dixon - 2.2
Marshall - 2.9
Georgiades - 2.7

Contested Marks:
Dixon - 2.1
Marshall - 0.8
Georgiades - 0.9

All this comparison between Dixon and Marshall is laughable.

One is at the end of the road in his career and the other should be at the height of his career being 25 years old and in the system for 8 years.
To be comparing them at this time only makes Marshall look bad.
Hopefully Tod can find the form of a couple years ago and for Charlie this should be his last season.

A contested mark is a failure of strategy.
I hear what you're saying, but fundamentally it isn't true.

Yes a good gameplan creates more uncontested marks, but our entire game is built around winning contests. Win contests, win games. Premiership teams are built around players that win contests.

If you are a tall forward you need to compete in the air and pluck a couple every now and then. Marshalls inability to do this is his greatest weakness.

All this comparison between Dixon and Marshall is laughable.

One is at the end of the road in his career and the other should be at the height of his career being 25 years old and in the system for 8 years.
To be comparing them at this time only makes Marshall look bad.
Hopefully Tod can find the form of a couple years ago and for Charlie this should be his last season.

You’ve missed the context of the argument, which started with someone blaming Todd’s and fins performance for Dixon getting picked, which is absurd when Dixon’s form at afl and sanfl level has been putrid this year, and it’s clear that Dixon has been picked cause of hinkleys attachment to him, not any players form.

Also in no way does any comparison look bad for Todd.

Todd, having an ok but not great year is far more effective with far less usage than Dixon.

To be clear Dixon has been a good player working in a shit system that didn’t work for us, but this year he’s the most cooked player in the league and he’s been an outright liability.

For all the crap about our slump where our midfield looked utter shit our kfs still managed to do alright with their chances while Dixon was out.

Our best hope is that somehow this rest has reinvigorated Dixon and brought his decrepit body back from the brink. To be honest I reckon he’s capable of a couple of spurts before dying again. But in the end trying to eke out what little he’s got this season to try to save face of throwing him another contract (**** was it 1 or 2 years?) won’t work out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back