Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Marshall will be out of concussion protocols for this game so I think for us the biggest question is whether the coaching staff picks Marshall for the game.

Hinkley definitely sees him as best 22 so it is going to be interesting because Scott is a very good coach who loves to exploit mismatches and he will have opportunities with Burton, McEntee and Marshall if he plays and to a lesser extent, Francis Evans.

I'm pretty sure Marshall will be out of concussion protocols for this game so I think for us the biggest question is whether the coaching staff picks Marshall for the game.

Hinkley definitely sees him as best 22 so it is going to be interesting because Scott is a very good coach who loves to exploit mismatches and he will have opportunities with Burton, McEntee and Marshall if he plays and to a lesser extent, Francis Evans.
Maybe that's why that played McEntee.

To see how the game plan would hold up without that extra small forward.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was out of protocols and training after the Showdown, and they held him out for the Freo game "out of an abundance of caution".

I feel like if his spot was on the line he would have been given a chance to prove himself.

I know he's not that popular with a lot of people on this board but I think we can all agree that Hinkley likes him and will probably pick him.

He was out of protocols and training after the Showdown, and they held him out for the Freo game "out of an abundance of caution".

I feel like if his spot was on the line he would have been given a chance to prove himself.

I know he's not that popular with a lot of people on this board but I think we can all agree that Hinkley likes him and will probably pick him.
If the players in the team had performed well then this decision would be a lot easier. Playing Marshall and dropping either Franky or McEntee isn't going to win or lose us the game.

View attachment 2092068

This was the contribution from 4 of our forwards and still posters don't think we can improve the side with Marshall in.
Rats to me has improved our bomb it long and hope for the best fwd entries.

The intercept marking from the oppo has gone since rats moving forward. It's his 4 marks that is important and tbh rats has been robbed of at least half a dozen more since his move.

Marshall if fit is best 23, but I aint swapping him for Esava.

Last edited:
I'm playing Esava over Marshall. Not because Esava is a better player but because I think he's better for our structure than Marshall.

Jed can play his tagger role and vacate the team immediately after the win/loss.

So are we all just ignoring the fact that Stewart has been playing as a midfielder for the best part of the last three months and therefore there's no role for a 'defensive forward' to play on him?

Wouldn't surprise me if Ken didn't know that either, to be fair. This is the man who once said he doesn't know much about the opposition's players, after all.

Playing Esava does make it slightly safer to bomb it long and high into the forward line I guess, but that's a losing strategy as soon as we play a team with quality rebounding defenders, as we've seen time and time again.

We can already bomb it long and high to Dixon, we don't need a second player like that. We need marking targets who can move and deliver the ball.

This game is going to be a real challenge without the creativity and ball use of Farrell. He and Houston are our major distributors, and a large reason we have been top 2 in the comp for From D50 to F50 in the last 9 weeks.

We just need to pray to the footy gods that either it's hamstring tightness and he plays, or we drag ourselves over the line for this game and get him back for a big prelim.

No chance we should play Marshall. He gets concussed looking at a football these days, that's too much liability to carry into a final IMHO.

McEntee is interesting, did the job earlier in the year, but the cats have learnt. If you tag him, he starts in the centre square and plays as a fourth midfielder. Jed can't do that or we expose our forward line and they have an extra. Will need to have a solid plan and handover for if they run him on ball.

All in all - praying to the footy gods:

Out: Visentini (omitted)
In: Big Dix Kix Six

or if not

Out: Visentini (omitted) Farrell (injured)
In: Big Dix Kix Six, Sinn

Playing Esava does make it slightly safer to bomb it long and high into the forward line I guess, but that's a losing strategy as soon as we play a team with quality rebounding defenders, as we've seen time and time again.

We can already bomb it long and high to Dixon, we don't need a second player like that. We need marking targets who can move and deliver the ball.

Esava isn't only capable of marking balls that are long and high, I'm sure he can also catch ones that are delivered in a more accurate fashion.

Marshall played 17 games in a row this season before getting a hip strain in the Gold Coast game where Dixon clumsily fell on him. He's had 1 concussion this season, which he'll have had 4 weeks to recover from. I think the injury risk is way overblown

So are we all just ignoring the fact that Stewart has been playing as a midfielder for the best part of the last three months and therefore there's no role for a 'defensive forward' to play on him?

Wouldn't surprise me if Ken didn't know that either, to be fair. This is the man who once said he doesn't know much about the opposition's players, after all.
Scott has Stewart attend centre bounces and push back to his usual intercepting role post clearance in an effort to drop the tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall played 17 games in a row this season before getting a hip strain in the Gold Coast game where Dixon clumsily fell on him. He's had 1 concussion this season, which he'll have had 4 weeks to recover from. I think the injury risk is way overblown

Given the current medical literature states the average time to recover from concussion is 6 weeks, I wouldn't be playing him.

He's had 1 concussion this season, which he'll have had 4 weeks to recover from. I think the injury risk is way overblown

The concussion came from very mild contact. That's the concern.

Esava isn't only capable of marking balls that are long and high, I'm sure he can also catch ones that are delivered in a more accurate fashion.

He's not doing that though.

He has to move to get open, which is a weakness. His ball use is also a weakness. He's not a natural forward.

He took a few marks on the lead against Melbourne because Marshall went down and both he and Dixon had to or we wouldn't have been able to get the ball past the half way line (and it was still a very ugly game for ball movement).

In the last 2 games he's taken 0 marks on the lead, and 3 of his 6 marks have been contested. He's playing as a bollard. To suggest he could suddenly provide an option on the lead and generate some movement and space is fanciful.

Given the current medical literature states the average time to recover from concussion is 6 weeks, I wouldn't be playing him.

You wouldn't be playing him anyway, so we'll see what the doctors have to say

The concussion came from very mild contact. That's the concern.

He copped a flying elbow to the back/top of a head in a marking contest. He grabbed his head immediately after feeling the contact. It wasn't an innocuous, nothing contact, it was an elbow to the head.

Really only 1 concussion? I would have bet more, unless he’s had tests?

Really only 1 concussion? I would have bet more, unless he’s had tests?

This season, the incident against Melbourne is the only time he's missed a week with concussion, which is an automatic week. Unless there was one in the preseason?

This season, the incident against Melbourne is the only time he's missed a week with concussion, which is an automatic week. Unless there was one in the preseason?
Maybe there was? 🤷‍♂️ thought he had 3. If he’s right to play, he’s plays in not crying over it, he can be a good player

Looking how Marshall last got concussed is a major concern for me.
He’s the one in a hundred player that gets a hit that wouldn’t affect the other 99.

He's certainly more susceptible to concussion than the average player, but he didn't get concussed for his first 17 games, and this one came from a flying elbow to the back of the head in a marking contest, where he immediately reacted to the impact by holding his head.

The narrative on this board is that he sort of just got breathed on and got concussed, but that isn't correct.

He's not doing that though.

He has to move to get open, which is a weakness. His ball use is also a weakness. He's not a natural forward.

He took a few marks on the lead against Melbourne because Marshall went down and both he and Dixon had to or we wouldn't have been able to get the ball past the half way line (and it was still a very ugly game for ball movement).

In the last 2 games he's taken 0 marks on the lead, and 3 of his 6 marks have been contested. He's playing as a bollard. To suggest he could suddenly provide an option on the lead and generate some movement and space is fanciful.

Esava = someone that can take a contested mark and doesn't get injured in the process

Todd = someone that can take a mark on the lead, on the boundary and 55m out from goal. Can't be in a contested marking situation without risking a trip to the hospital.

The choice is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back