Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

42 out of Gallagher's 163 disposals have been turnovers - about 25.7%. Averages 3.5 a game out of 13.6 touches a game. Disposal efficiency below 60% on the season all in all.

It's a lot of turnovers for a low possession player. Treloar for example averages over 5 turnovers a game (team worst) but he's been getting a shitload of it, he's at about 16.5% of his disposals having resulted in turnovers.

We're persisting with Gallagher because we like his traits, fair enough, but i think it's fair to point out he's been a pretty poor user of the ball. Nobody else on the team is turning it over at the pace he has been.

Pretty unlikely his usage remains this poor as he gets more and more experience of course. And has traits that are valuable to what we've been doing - run/speed, peppers the goals, pressures etc. He's the sort of player worth persisting with while working out his troubles because he obviously has a higher ceiling than Bramble/Baker types.

Could be made sub for a week to lighten the load and freshen him up a bit, having debuted round 1 and played every game since.

I just watched Bont win us the game from the middle, not sure I want to stick up forward as a permanent tall and have 105kg full backs smashing into him all game.

Love him resting forward and having a few spells there, but I still think he needs to spend a decent chunk of the game helping us get on top in the middle.

I have no idea who to bring in though, I wouldn't be against Khamis coming in as 3rd tall forward though. He's obviously been playing mostly back in the VFL, but I think to succeed in the future he'll have to be flexible as a bit of a swing man.

I don't think Croft or Lachie Smith are ready for the rigours of AFL footy yet and probably need to get a bit bigger, stronger and fitter first. Bedendo has only been just ok at VFL level but might be our best option in the Laith half fwd role.

42 out of Gallagher's 163 disposals have been turnovers - about 25.7%. Averages 3.5 a game out of 13.6 touches a game. Disposal efficiency below 60% on the season all in all.

It's a lot of turnovers for a low possession player. Treloar for example averages over 5 turnovers a game (team worst) but he's been getting a shitload of it, he's at about 16.5% of his disposals having resulted in turnovers.

We're persisting with Gallagher because we like his traits, fair enough, but i think it's fair to point out he's been a pretty poor user of the ball. Nobody else on the team is turning it over at the pace he has been.

Pretty unlikely his usage remains this poor as he gets more and more experience of course. And has traits that are valuable to what we've been doing - run/speed, peppers the goals, pressures etc. He's the sort of player worth persisting with while working out his troubles because he obviously has a higher ceiling than Bramble/Baker types.

Could be made sub for a week to lighten the load and freshen him up a bit, having debuted round 1 and played every game since.
Those stats vs Treloar would surely look a lot worse when you consider Treloar plays almost exclusively inside where Gallagher does not.

Gallagher looks ok and I’m not against him getting games but attending so many centre bounces…he’s done nothing to earn that.

Just seemed a very odd choice…and one EVERYONE would be screaming at had we lost.

Darcy out is huge. Treloar mentioned in his post match interview how important he is. When players have the ball they scan the field for the best option knowing that worse case scenario they can always dump it to Darcy.

Simply have to challenge the West suspension, and I think Harmes is a big loss too.

Have been really impressed with the last month, and we simply need to find a way to win the next two games if we want to stay in contention for finals. With our outs it is going to be very challenging. Will be fascinating to see how we structure up. If I had to guess I’d say bring in Buku to play forward, combined with giving Bont more time there:

In - Buku, Scott, Richards, Libba
Out - Darcy, West, Harmes, VDM

There may have been times when this was true but really poor take from not only this game but the last couple with the exception of Bramble.

Gallagher seems to have that time he kicks into the man on the mark too often but his skills are far from deplorable.

Daniel is one yes I would trade but in the last couple of games has certainly earned his spot

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ok I saw consistently in the last few games. Gallagher either coughing up directly to an opponenbt, kicking out on the full, missing simple set shots, doing a shadowing job on an opposition star who basically used him as a witches hat.
If you aren't seeing bigtime mistakes like i am then i can't help you Lachy. His first two games were okay, he got a rising star nomination I think for his game against West Coast, who at that time were the worst team in the comp.
Since then he has been a complete liability. He need a spell in the reserves to regain confidence and become a better player.
Just because he is young doesn't forgive continual skill errors. Clarke was dropped for skill errors, i'm not sure why Gallagher gets a pass mark.
I do think he will get better, but he needs a spell.
Bramble won't get better, he is what he is. He gives dash but is prone to turnover which then leaves us very exposed.
Daniel, is still clever with the ball but is slow and gets exposed defensively now with his height.

Seen a few suggesting Clarke. However if you have been watching the VFL though I still have serious doubts about him Artie Jones is way ahead of him at the moment

What I saw of Clarke in his one and only game tells me that he won't make it as an AFL player. I'm not convinced on Artie either. He is a lovely fella and gives the team a nice vibe, but really he does nothing much.
You look at low possession small forwards over time and they are very sinister off the ball. Rundown tackles, tap-ons, just having the defenders 5hitting themselves when they are around. I don't see that with Artie. I reckon any good defender would have a sense of relief if they were on him. I can see why the club invested in him but it hasn't quite worked out.

Don’t know what game you were watching Bud if you think Gallagher had an omittable performance.
I'm not sure what games you have been watching that you think he should be selected. Have a look at his turnover/clanger stats. He doesn't even play as an inside mid which you can give some leeway for errors.
No mate. You need to look at his stats closely and use your eyes in games at the errors. At the moment he is a consistent momentum-killer.

Maybe Scott straight back in also, especially if we are missing Harmes, Laith and Westy? He had done enough to get a look in two weeks ago, barely played that game and has missed since so hasn't played for 3 weeks from game to game might be an issue? But good utility type to maybe step up and play a role.
I think Bevo said he’ll be another week away 🙁

Now do B.Smith stats….the eye test says he’s a turnover merchant too

There may have been times when this was true but really poor take from not only this game but the last couple with the exception of Bramble.

Gallagher seems to have that time he kicks into the man on the mark too often but his skills are far from deplorable.

Daniel is one yes I would trade but in the last couple of games has certainly earned his spot

Gallagher has been very good - he just needs to work on steadying before kicking - he has more time than he thinks and he hacks it forward a bit.Treloar does that a bit too but no-one is talking about him, just about the 15 game player…

Keep pumping games into him - he’s going to be a very solid player for us.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gallagher has been very good - he just needs to work on steadying before kicking - he has more time than he thinks and he hacks it forward a bit.Treloar does that a bit too but no-one is talking about him, just about the 15 game player…

I've noticed a ton of Gallagher's kicks seem to get smothered. Not exactly sure why that keeps happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar plays as an inside mid. Kicks straight out of stoppage. No doubt, his disposal is not great, but he gets the ball 30+ times a game in real heat.
Gallagher doesn't have stoppage pressure, it's a huge difference in the reasons why. Please tell me you can understand this.

It was. Ridiculously, he was eligible to play in AFL pre-season practice games but not VFL practice games because the VFL practice game was the week of AFL Round 1.

It was so dumb I can remember Chris Scott even made an unprompted comment about how stupid it was.

But you see, Phil Davis totally had bruised ribs from that jumper punch.

Treloar plays as an inside mid. Kicks straight out of stoppage. No doubt, his disposal is not great, but he gets the ball 30+ times a game in real heat.
Gallagher doesn't have stoppage pressure, it's a huge difference in the reasons why. Please tell me you can understand this.

If it makes you feel better - then yes, I can understand this. I also see that Gallagher wins a lot of ball on the inside as well, and is often kicking under pressure. He will get better over time.

Can you recall Matthew Boyd’s first few years? Gallagher is doing ok.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sam winchester yawn GIF

If all the injuries and suspensions are confirmed then we need a spoon to scrape the barrel. Assuming also Scott and Libba still not ready.
Outs: Darcy; West; Vandermeer; Harmes
Ins: Richards; Khamis (to play as a forward, can't rely on Lobb to be Jamarra's only foil); Poulter; Baker
We're in trouble!

If it makes you feel better - then yes, I can understand this. I also see that Gallagher wins a lot of ball on the inside as well, and is often kicking under pressure. He will get better over time.

Can you recall Matthew Boyd’s first few years? Gallagher is doing ok.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think I have commented before that he plays a lot like M.Boyd. His balance, the way he runs in straight lines, and even his kicking style. Boyd was also quite a prolific inside mid before he switched to the backline.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: West, Darcy, VDM, Harmes

In: Bedendo, A.Jones, Richards, Baker

Got a feeling they will be extra precautious with Libba, especially Sanders seem to hit his straps in the clearances.

Arty Jones and Baker come in for VDM and West. If Jones plays I really hope he does well. Just seems to lack the belief he had for those few games last year. If he doesn't perform we may never see him again in the red white and blue I fear.

Bedendo, Lobb, and Marra is no the worst mix of marking forwards.

B: Duryea Jones Keath
HB: Dale Odonnell Williams
C: Gallagher Treloar Baker
HF: Macrae Bedendo Garcia
FF: Lobb Ugle-Hagan McNeill
RUC: English Bont Richards

INT: Daniel Sanders Freijah Bramble
SUB: A.Jones

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a marking utility, I reckon Buku is more of a natural forward. Decent tank, good hands, and a solid set-shot goal kicker.
Probably more of a depth option for Marra. However, he should be brought in given Naughts and Darcy are out. If the Lion's defenders don't give him sufficient respect he can make them pay on the scoreboard

The key will be for him to focus on separation from the other KPFs and the unpredictable use of forward space (e.g. leading and then doubling back).

Our forward teamwork has been better this season. This game will be a good challenge for Spangher.

I remember watching Alex Rance when he started - he had more turnovers than a Dutch baker. Thought he could never make it at AFL level with his execution and decision making.
Sometimes it is worth persisting if you can see the upside.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember when we struggled to find 1 decent key dorward and now we are down to 2 and everybody panics and wants to throw a defender forward?

We can rotate mids through the forward line, cant we?
Who's panicking?

Our two leading goal kickers are out. Our best goalkicking small is out, and our second best is now suspended. Our next two highest scoring smalls just did hamstrings in the same game. The guys that we would hope would be pushing for spots (Clarke, Jones, Bedendo) are out of form (or at least have very patchy form at the next level).

We're going to need to get creative to find avenues to goal over the next few weeks. Putting midfielders there doesn't fill me with confidence. Having a tall who can open up space and provide a linking target at half forward might - and if it doesn't, it offers the added bonus of getting a couple games into Buss and holding the same structure throughout the season.

I suspect Bont just goes forward, which I'm also fine with. I'm just raising other options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back