Preview Changes: R2 vs Richmond, Saturday March 25, 4.05pm ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

We obviously learned nothing from getting Fog to 50 games.

Every game Himmelberg plays in front of Thilthorpe is a waste of time and resources
The only reason I can think why we play Himmelberg is that we are going to chase his brother at the end of season and having Elliot on the lis is an incentive. Other than that I have no idea.

Is this an issue since joining the Crows or was he like this at Westies?

I understand there are different rules at u18 level but he played seniors a lot.

Surely there was body contact there?

I would hate to read " hates body contact" in a scouting report

I think the issue is he's a 25 game key forward who is a tad bit lost adjusting to a perhiperal role. Instead of just treating it as growing pains, we're doing this shit because when it comes to developing key forwards, we're a dumb and panic striken football club.

Inevitably we'll drop Himmelberg in two weeks to give Thilly a three week stint and keep going in that fashion until both players have a wasted year.

Last edited:
I think the issue is he's a 10 game key forward who is a tad bit lost adjusting to a perhiperal role. Instead of just treating it as growing pains, we're doing this s**t because when it comes to developing key forwards, we're a dumb and panic striken football club.

Inevitably we'll drop Himmelberg is two weeks to give Thilly a three week stint and keep going in that fashion until both players have a wasted year.
The player that needs to be dropped is ROB. Surely there is room for Thilthorpe and Himmelberg. Berg has some talent but producing it is the problem. He plays about 4 good games a year, generally in big games. He does just enough to get a contract extension.

Is this an issue since joining the Crows or was he like this at Westies?

I understand there are different rules at u18 level but he played seniors a lot.

Surely there was body contact there?

I would hate to read " hates body contact" in a scouting report
Have been told by a current player and his father at West it is an issue he needs to get better at

195cm - Jake Kolodjashnij
204cm - Sam De Koning
194cm - Jack Henry
190cm - Tom Stewart
198cm - Mark Blicavs

Thats a pretty tall defensive unit
Our defensive unit is

Tom Doedee - 190cm
Nick Murray - 194cm
Max Michalanney- 190cm
Brodie SMith - 190cm. Last year was 193cm so must have shrunk. lol
Jordan Dawson 191cm
Mitch Hinge 189cm
Then Parnell as a small.

So our backline are all over 6 foot 3

Our defensive unit is

Tom Doedee - 190cm
Nick Murray - 194cm
Max Michalanney- 190cm
Brodie SMith - 190cm. Last year was 193cm so must have shrunk. lol
Jordan Dawson 191cm
Mitch Hinge 189cm
Then Parnell as a small.

So our backline are all over 6 foot 3
Which of these players will play on the 3 talls for Richmond

Lynch 200cm
Ryan 207cm
Riewoldt 193cm
Dusty 187 cm
Bolton 175cm
Maurice 179cm

79bd29843e77e8e10dcb3f8871edcf45c239e484-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg

I had to laugh at last nights game which bought back memories - specifically the Adelaide v Richmond game round 9 1999 at Football Park (AAMI Stadium) when the light towers went out due to a lightning strike at three quarter time, The Crows were barely ahead and the umpires walked over to acting captain Nigel Smart and offered him the option of stopping the game, and he didn't - Smart by name and not by nature; the Tigers ended up winning by 11 points. Oh, and Richo (who last night continually said he's never seen anything like this) was playing in that game!

I tried to find any kind of reference to that event, and google searches turned up nothing, like it never happened! Luckily someone posted the game on youtube, and you can get the event about 1 hour 43 to 44 min into the footage. It doesn't really show unfortunately, but the last quarter was played under the emergency lighting which was a lot darker than it looks on the TV broadcast.

Will this be some kind of omen for tonight's game against the Tigers? Or maybe the future? Brisbane were on their way to a flag two years later (under a different coach), it would be nice to think that's going to flip around and happen for us.

I was at that game.

Remember hearing after the game that if Smart had’ve simply said “nup, too dangerous, we aint playing on” that it wouldve been a win cause the crows were ahead.

Instead we all sat there in soaked clothes, after the lightning and downpour, and watched them proceed to lose the game..

Ah, supporting the Crows.. its a real joy at times..

Reminds me of the 1996 game, at Waverley, between Essendon & St Kilda. The lights went out due to a problem with a nearby substation.

The AFL's solution... players returned the following Tuesday, to play the remaining minutes. Oh... and they were allowed to select players who didn't participate in the original game.

That game will probably go down in history as the longest AFL game ever, having finished 4 days after it began.

Are you talking actual ruckwork as in the actual ruck contest? If you are I beg to disagree.

I'll qualify my comment by saying ROB is obviously more consistent in that area but I've seen RT do some special things in ruck contests that ROB has never been able to do. His vision and ability to find teammates - when he wins a contest - is elite IMO. Once he can mark the ball around the ground like a good ruckman should, I reckon he'll be in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at that game.

Remember hearing after the game that if Smart had’ve simply said “nup, too dangerous, we aint playing on” that it wouldve been a win cause the crows were ahead.

Instead we all sat there in soaked clothes, after the lightning and downpour, and watched them proceed to lose the game..

Was that the one where it hailed at half time and the mini league kids were huddled behind the goal posts. I remember it being a game vs richmond.

Confidence and belief would help him

being backed in would give his confidence a boost. Knowing the coaches prefer Berg over him in a rebuild wouldn't be putting much in the positive ledger. Fog stated exactly the same. We simply don't back in talent, we prefer the known outcomes of the exceedingly average. We never had the constitution rewuired for a proper rebuild. Berg over TT is yet another example. We've always selected to win NOW.

Richmond so tall in attack so we replace Milera with a midget. I think Parnell's got courage and talent but do we really need another tiny defender against the land of the giants Richmond forwards?

I heard Nix say he thought we were tall enough down back. That's bullshit.
Would have been a good week for Keane. At least off the bench.

I think the issue is he's a 10 game key forward who is a tad bit lost adjusting to a perhiperal role. Instead of just treating it as growing pains, we're doing this s**t because when it comes to developing key forwards, we're a dumb and panic striken football club.

Inevitably we'll drop Himmelberg is two weeks to give Thilly a three week stint and keep going in that fashion until both players have a wasted year.
My take is i have always seen Thilthorpe in a nick reiwoldt role where he is stationed at CHF but roams far and wide where he can use his tank. He will be absolutely fine when it comes to pack mark situations..I don't have any doubt in my mind. We really should be playing him at CHF and now running Tex from a forward pocket in the last year or 2 of his playing career. Fog has FF nailed down now in my eye.

This is still a development year and thilthorpe just simply has to be afforded as much game time in the CHF role as possible...we are wasting time otherwise

Which of these players will play on the 3 talls for Richmond

Lynch 200cm
Ryan 207cm
Riewoldt 193cm
Dusty 187 cm
Bolton 175cm
Maurice 179cm

My guess would be:

Lynch 200cm - Murray

Ryan 207cm - Dawson (allowing him to play off him a bit)

Riewoldt 193cm - Doedee

Dusty 187 cm - Smith

Bolton 175cm - Michalanney

Maurice 179cm - Parnell

Obviously this will swap somewhat through the game. Michalanney is the hard one to predict I think.

Reiwoldt and at least one of Dusty or Bolton will have an absolute field day 😑

I was at that game.

I was at the game too. that rumour about being offered a forfeit was a myth, the meeting at 3/4 with the umpires was basically them telling the players "We're not going off ok".

I have zero memory of the "emergency lighting" either. All I remember is the mother of all lightning storms for about 10 minutes in the final quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R2 vs Richmond, Saturday March 25, 4.05pm ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back