Changes / Team for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty easy this year.
Only use 3 picks in draft assuming no trades + 1 promotion.
Therefore only should delist 4 players.

Gill (finished)
Gallman (re-rookie list)
Burton (Finished, Walker will take his place)

1 more out of Shirley/McLeod/Edwards/Hentschell.
This is tough. With the lack of quality smalls coming through we cant afford to get rid of quality mids. Therefore porbably Shirley just, ahead of edwards and Hentschell.

Griffen and Reilly possibly trade for second rounders.
Douglas would keep another year at least.

Pray that Cook/Petrenko/Sloane and this years first rounder can push for best 22 in our team.

I'll be dissapointed if Walker doesnt play most of the year next year.

My immediate thoughts after the game on saturday were that Stevo and Burton should be moved on Torney style. But have since thought we may need some backup next season so we should keep them Gill style.

Shirley has come to the end I think, along with Gallman, Gill and as everyone keeps saying one of Macca, Edwards, Goody have to go.

Without a doubt the captaincy must be handed over next season.

What happens next season to Sellar? If Moran & Maric are fit hard to see him getting a game and possible that SMACK will move in front of him in the order.

Trades- Reilly? Ilove him but if the right offer is on the table.... Griff any offer should be considered. Douglas if any interest is shown.

Jacky lucky its a week draft...

Without a doubt the captaincy must be handed over next season.
Why, did we lose on Saturday night because his leadership was that bad?

NO, his leadership skills are not and never will be a factor in him handing over the captaincy of the club. If Simon Goodwin stays on the list, he stays on the list with every intention of being part of the clubs best 22 players, if he is not part of the best 22, he should not be on the list.

being in the 40 All Australian player nominated, this suggest his form is not a factor in this decision either so it doesn’t look like he would spend time at South Adelaide.

take the captaincy of him, not a factor.

Some people are being way too hard on the list. WE CANNOT MOVE THE 3 + BURTON IN ONE YEAR!!! (it would be suicide)

Burton/Hentschel - Offer up for Trade, if no takers delist 1 of these.
Reliey - Trade
Griff - Trade
Dougie - Trade (I really dislike him, makes the worst decisions and cant kick)

I would actually love a trade where we got rid of Riley + Shirley + Round 2 for Jetta/Davey + Round 2
That would serve by creating space on our list.

Macca - IMO he has to stay (Bias - I love Macca 4EVA)
Goody - Retires
Edwards - Plays on

Now for the obvious
Gill - Delist
Galman - Delist (however should space free up from a trade keep him around, give him another year)
Martin - Upgrade

What we need
1) Rioli type
2) Classy inside mid
3) Project ruckman (rookie list if possible)

Here are my thoughts/predictions:

List management:

Delist/retire - Shirley, Burton, McLeod or Edwards :(, Gallman, Gill

Trading:

Reilly to Carlton for a draft pick.

Stevens + draft pick for Griffen (WB) (I wish!)

Douglas and Griffin further tradebait.

Drafting:

Rendell finds a gun small, quick forward.

Players futures:

Doughty and Goodwin + Edwards/McLeod 1 more season each.

McKernan, Walker and Davis get regular oppurtunities with Hentschel progressively used mainly for back-up.

Maric slowly pushed out of the side as McKernan gets better. McKernan #1 ruck. Mobile, strong, excellent leap, good at ground level, Mitch Clark esque. I have doubts over whether Maric is the one to take us to premiership glory.

Sloane to be groomed as an offensive tagger. Give him big players like Judd, Ablett, Dal Santo etc next year and tell him to beat them. Type of apprenticeship that will be reviewed at the end of the year rather than after each game.

Dangerfield to move into the midfield.

Otten moved to the wing and Davis as the third tall/swing man.

Next years starting team:

B: Johncock, Rutten, Davis
HB: Van Berlo, Bock, Goodwin
C: Mackay, Dangerfield, Otten
HF: Knights, Hentschel, Edwards
F: Porpyzia, Tippett, Walker
R: Maric/Moran, Vince, Thompson
I: McKernan, Doughty, Sloane, DP/Griffen :p

Happy times.

I think that the future of the big 3 and Burton will solely come down to two things.
1. Whether or not they want to go through another pre-season. My gut feel is that Macca is the only one who may not but I still think he will play again next year.
2. If we have players who seek to move to another club next year for greater opportunities. I think that Griff will go, Douglas & Reilly may, and if I had any say I would be shopping Stevens around to see what was offered.

My team for round 1 next year (I'm assuming there will be minimal changes to the playing list)

B:- Johncock - Rutten - Bock
HB:- van Berlo - Sellar - Goodwin
C:- Mackay - Thompson - Otten
HF:- Knights - McKernan - Dangerfield
F:- Walker - Tippett - Porplyzia
1R:- Maric - Vince - Sloane
Int:- Moran - Edwards - Symes - Doughty
Emg:- Davis(needs a bit more time in the gym)
Patrenko(just waiting for an opportunity)
Douglas(fringe player adding to the depth of the squad)

I don't think anyone will trade players for a third round pick this year, as no recruiters seem to rate the depth of this draft, so I would say no.

How about for Bryce Gibbs? :p

What kind of deal would it take to get Reilly?
3rd rounder?

What about Mark Austin?

A good young key position defender other than that i don’t know.

Swapping first round draft picks is pointless as you have pick 10 or 11 and we have pick 13 and Reilly isn’t worth a first round pick outright by himself and i doubt in this years draft a second round pick would do it.

Unless we packaged Reilly with our second round pick (29) for Carlton first round pick 10 but i doubt that would be even be looked at.

Most likely delistees
Gill: Injury plagued. Now well behind Tippett, Hentschel, Burton, Walker and co. Won't be long until Davis and co come knocking as well. Limited by his kicking and awareness.
Gallman: supreme athlete, huge tank, highly rated internally for his off-field work, but hasn't been able to stay off the injured list long enough the last two years to really establish himself. Playing as a desperately under-sized FB hasn't helped either as he really needed more time as a defensive midfielder/rebounding mid-sized to develop the offensive element of his game. Following the ball has never come naturally to him and unfortunately he wasn't given full chance to do so. At this stage of his development I can't see that happening and he's the type of player that lacks that natural spark to really gamble with him for much longer. Could potentially be saved by a number of retirements.

Potential retirements:
McLeod: First one off the rank in my opinion. Hasn't had a full pre-season in a long time due the management of his knees. Already the games record holder for the club and indigenous players. Seems to have slowed down considerably this year and I would suggest he is a little dry on the passion and athletic capacity that he once had.
Goodwin: Looks physically OK in his sweeper role this year, but his uncertainty make me wonder.
Edwards: I think he has tapered off a bit this season and last, but he still shows enough of his best to expect he'll go around at least once more.
Burton: Physically has come back in very good shape and should only be better after a proper pre-season. It would be silly for him to move on after going through such a gruelling recovery. I've been converted by his return, whilst before thinking it may just be better for everyone involved just to let him retire. Most of the comments that have suggested he move on have been motivated by a poor/inconsistent finals and suggestions he will be surpassed by others. His form has been a little all over the place, but that has always been Burton. I anticipate he will return much stronger next year with a better touch. He will not have been used to missing this much football and as a confidence player it would have undermined his form. Also, I think it is a little optimistic to expect Walker to play every game next year on form and a little deluded to expect McKernan or Davis to walk straight into CHF (and although I back both players strongly, I think they will both be eased in through the backlines).

Potential delistees, depending on retirements/trades:
Shirley: Obviously a limited player, but certainly does not lack the application. Hard runner, strong attack on the ball (and the player) and the kind of player that can be emulated within the group. I expect he will be retained, but again told that by no stretch of the imagination will get be guaranteed 22 games. Hopefully (and I mean that in the most positive sense) Sloane & other young midfielders will force their way past him. 1 year contract.
Lee: Has had an apparently shocking season, but still has a mandatory second year to run on his contract. Was drafted as a bit of a athletic tall smoky, so I expect the club to give him time.
Kite: Again, poor season, but let's not forget what he demonstrated last year and the various injury & off-field distractions that have held him back. His best is still yet to come. Some question marks over his application & mental strength, but our success with players such as Vince, Porplyzia, Johncock etc, are evidence of a club that can really sharpen the resolve of an individual who has really tapped into their full potential. 1 year contract.
Hentschel: No, still limited, but you just don't persist with a player this long and then cut away. 1 year contract.
Stevens: No. Sure he might get pushed aside in time, but you don't cut him out just for the sake of it. Still has plenty to contribute for at least another season. Make the up & comers work for it. Respected character at the club.
Doughty: Same.
Symes: Same.

Potential trades:
Reilly, Griffin and a few others if the right deal comes up, especially if it gets us access to a reasonably young line-breaking midfielder.

Rookies
Martin: Promoted
Moss: Delisted, possibly re-rookied if the medical report is promising. I've heard a rumour he's over football though.
Henderson: Retain, very slight possibility of upgrading if the position opens
Donnolley: Retain
Schmidt: Retain, conditional upon medical advice

would martin be promoted?

i've heard it alot, but with his injury he will be unlikely to get any afl games next year, so why not just save the $ in his salary and keep him as a rookie for one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why, did we lose on Saturday night because his leadership was that bad?

NO, his leadership skills are not and never will be a factor in him handing over the captaincy of the club. If Simon Goodwin stays on the list, he stays on the list with every intention of being part of the clubs best 22 players, if he is not part of the best 22, he should not be on the list.

being in the 40 All Australian player nominated, this suggest his form is not a factor in this decision either so it doesn’t look like he would spend time at South Adelaide.

take the captaincy of him, not a factor.

You assume that I made a knee jerk reaction? Is that cause that's what you would do?

Also did I say he should not play or is not in our top 22? NO

Do I think on form he should of been selected for the AA squad? NO, but i believe that was everyone's reaction that I've spoken to.

I think he should hand it over while he is still on the list to assist our new leader (VB/thommo/Bock) handle the pressures, and to have Goody and macca & tyson (if they all go on) with them would be invaluable.

would martin be promoted?

i've heard it alot, but with his injury he will be unlikely to get any afl games next year, so why not just save the $ in his salary and keep him as a rookie for one more year.

You are only able to retain rookies for 2 years. We'd have to run the risk of putting him through the ND. Likely that someone would grab him in that case.

that sucks

then I dont care what happens

I can see us promoting him to make sure we keep him

but because of his injury, I can actually seeing him surviving the national draft so we can re rookie him

club will do what's best

You assume that I made a knee jerk reaction? Is that cause that's what you would do?

Also did I say he should not play or is not in our top 22? NO

Do I think on form he should of been selected for the AA squad? NO, but i believe that was everyone's reaction that I've spoken to.

I think he should hand it over while he is still on the list to assist our new leader (VB/thommo/Bock) handle the pressures, and to have Goody and macca & tyson (if they all go on) with them would be invaluable.

Don’t be so aggressive with you answer. I never assumed anything; you assumed something and were wrong.

You want the captaincy take off him and that’s fine as it’s your prerogative but I asked a simply question –why and gave a few examples to justify my response?

The point of being in the best 22 was simple; you don’t select a person to be your captain (see the red back Nathan Adcock as an example) who is not in your best 22 players. Since he is, he keeps it.

His leadership qualities have never come into question and one more year for any would be captain waiting in the wings won’t be an issue.

Don’t be so aggressive with you answer. I never assumed anything; you assumed something and were wrong.

You want the captaincy take off him and that’s fine as it’s your prerogative but I asked a simply question –why and gave a few examples to justify my response?

The point of being in the best 22 was simple; you don’t select a person to be your captain (see the red back Nathan Adcock as an example) who is not in your best 22 players. Since he is, he keeps it.

His leadership qualities have never come into question and one more year for any would be captain waiting in the wings won’t be an issue.

Fair point but I raise you Tom Harley & Nick Maxwell.

Also wash your mouth out, do not mention Nathan Adcock again! :D

Fair point but I raise you Tom Harley & Nick Maxwell.

Also wash your mouth out, do not mention Nathan Adcock again! :D

I don’t know what your point is?

Both are in there clubs best 22 players. Don’t confuse a big footy cliché and the actual truth in saying Maxwell and Harley are not good players.

There is something to be said for the out going captain stepping aside a year or two before he plans to retire, to smooth the transition for the next captain, and also to be there to provide advice and "mentoring" (for lack of a better word) for the new captain. It may also provide a different perspective on things (although, considering the structure of the leadership group at the AFC, this may not be the case, I'm not sure).

This scenario doesn't really have much to do with the outgoing captains leadership, which will always be there while he's in the team, but rather aiding the transition for the next captain before the outgoing one retires (which I would presume Goody is going to do in the next year or two).

There is also the chance (slim though it may be, seeing Goody is in the AA squad) that the reduction in responsibility will bring about improved form (ala tredrea)

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes / Team for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back