Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not a fan of Dawson.

Give him a break! How about you get behind him and stop grousing and worrying about who he's keeping out of the team. Zac was excellent tonight. Worked hard and was rarely beaten one on one. Also maybe more than any of our other defenders, he's ready and able to leave his man and help out his team-mates. Really liked his game, and personally thought tonight he had a better night than the great #18, who was beaten by Reiwoldt.

As hoped, the new coaching regime is delivering a much more solid defensive structure. Much has been made of the Inside 50 imbalance. Well done to all the guys down back. Tonight McPhee and Johnson were great as well.

Give him a break! How about you get behind him and stop grousing and worrying about who he's keeping out of the team. Zac was excellent tonight. Worked hard and was rarely beaten one on one. Also maybe more than any of our other defenders, he's ready and able to leave his man and help out his team-mates. Really liked his game, and personally thought tonight he had a better night than the great #18, who was beaten by Reiwoldt.

As hoped, the new coaching regime is delivering a much more solid defensive structure. Much has been made of the Inside 50 imbalance. Well done to all the guys down back. Tonight McPhee and Johnson were great as well.

How good was that tackle he laid, where he took off from his man and nailed the tackle?

Splendid.

His preparedness to chop out his teammates is the sort of stuff that makes you extremely well liked in a backline. Was why Kickett will always be my favourite Freo player.

McPhee, Johnson and Dawson all seem to working extremely well with, and for each other. It's been a long long time since I've seen a group of players block and shepherd as well for each other as these guys do. A really formidable unit.

They're coming together really well from what I'm watching.

remember when we (including me) flamed memories to a crisp when he suggested we take Robinson over Suban? Interesting scenario, would you trade them on current form? I probably would, but im desperate to see Subes get his confidence back and become the player he threatened to be... does anyone remember the game vs Essendon he played in the midfield years back?

McPhee, Johnson and Dawson all seem to working extremely well with, and for each other. It's been a long long time since I've seen a group of players block and shepherd as well for each other as these guys do. A really formidable unit.

They're coming together really well from what I'm watching.[/quote]

I would still add McPharlin to that list. With Johnson's improvement these 4 players have become a very handy.

Does anyone hope Dawson might be in a bit of strife for the late high elbow to Milne in the 2nd?

EFA. Seriously though, thought he had some really stupid moments but some good moments as well. Just purely what I've seen Silvs and Daws do in Freo colours, still like what Silvs has offered more but it's not gonna happen. I doubt Silvs will come in as a defender unless someone gets injured or suspended. Carltons small forwards are the main dangers than the tall forwards.

Dawson was fine tonight.

Morabito is still a couple of weeks away, Lower isn't a defender and I'm not sure we can assume that Fyfe will come in. They're being cautious for obvious reasons.

Some might disagree, but if Suban is gone, elevating Spurr is the best option. Been playing across half-back in the WAFL with good results.

Dawson was fine tonight.

Morabito is still a couple of weeks away, Lower isn't a defender and I'm not sure we can assume that Fyfe will come in. They're being cautious for obvious reasons.

Some might disagree, but if Suban is gone, elevating Spurr is the best option. Been playing across half-back in the WAFL with good results.

Yeah agree with most of that, Suban has been pretty damn ordinary.

Some say excellent, some say liability. I think the back 6 worked great as a unit tonight tonight AND did the 1 on 1's very well, I can see the Dawson questions arise though after another stupid kick across play which resulted in a goal plus the limp effort on Milne which from memory almost cost a goal. We all know Silva deserves a shot but I'm now resigning myself (sadly) to this not happening bar injury and focusing on the great work by Johnson and Duffield instead of some of the Dawson errors. Gonna be hard to contain Carlton's small forwards and I'm thinking it's the perfect chance to get all Kevin Sheedy like ( I.e borderline insane ) and elevate lee Spurr from the rookie list to match up on garlett or betts instead of suban. Crazy thought, love to know what other ideas u guys have ?

I don't think we really need to replace Suban. Just work with what we already have, it worked in the second half. Ibbotson, Duffield, McPhee and Broughton can all play the same role. Even a Mzungu or Neale if we absolutely needed someone else down there.

If we did try to replace him, Grover would be my choice. Spurr wouldn't be a huge upgrade at this stage, he still has work to do on the defensive side to his game in my opinion. I think the Carlton small forwards would be too much for him.

I remember when seemingly the whole board ganged up on me a couple of years ago for saying Suban wasn't a superstar. I questioned his speed, ability to win his own ball and particularly his decision making. Nothing has changed.

He needs to go back to the WAFL for a good couple of months, and prove he can actually win the ball. But I just don't know where he fits in any more. He is no shut down defender in my opinion, and Clancee has taken that tough, outside hitter type role. It could be a long year for him, especially now that Neale is up and running too.

Out: Suban
In: Fyfe or Grover

Prior to breaking his leg suban was in career best form. When he attacks the footy he looks much better than in defense.

His pace is a worry but roberton is hardly the flash either

We haven't played our game this round yet and I'm already looking forward to this. Will be a great game.

You're treading on thin ice comparing Dawson to Mcpharlin.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out - Suban, Ibbotson

In - Lower, Fyfe

Suban has to be dropped now. If available Fyfe has to come in and Lower is needed because to help with the clearances against another really good midfield. Lower will play his second WAFL game tommorrow. I am struggling to think of who else to drop if Fyfe comes in so I will go with Ibbotson but Neale might be omitted.

I wish you guys all the luck against those cheating tanking scumbags. I hope fyfe gets up and kill them.

He was rag dolled by Kosi.

Like the balance at the moment though. Dont mind a defender getting beaten playing in front as well, Zac just needed to push back harder a few times other than that I thought he was ok.

Like the balance at the moment though. Dont mind a defender getting beaten playing in front as well, Zac just needed to push back harder a few times other than that I thought he was ok.

For sure Zac was a rag doll. Bring in Silvagni and Lower. Crowley to gut run against Murphy. Skeletor against Judd and maybe we have game.

Why does the odd person have to bring up Ibbotson every week as one to be omitted? Do you even watch the games? Not a star, but he has been very solid this year.

I do agree with Suban being on thin ice.

Dawson is good nearly every week for giving the opposition 2 goals through either obvious free kicks 50 metre penalties or poor decisions with his kicking.
Granted his attack on the ball and spoiling is not bad but until he can fix these other problems I still rate Silvagni a better option.

I included Ibbotson because I think Lower is more useful and someone has to go. Depth is only useful if you use it. But most likely Neale will make way if Fyfe gets up and if Ross gives Lower a go.

The problem I have with Ibbo is that he should be a star. Has tonnes of talent but wastes it. It probably isn't wise to tinker with our backline too much because it has been working well. But Suban surely has to go, Ross said he subbed him because he wasn't getting the ball.

Because hes just doing ok

Ibbo is sposed to be fast, good endurance and a good kick.

How often do u see good kicks from him?
How often do u see good disposals from him?
How often does he beat his man 1 on 1?.
How often do u ever see him use athletic ability?

Still melts under pressure an lacks any awareness.

Never agree with the soft calls, just think hes a very avg player and we need to find better.

Im always looking to keep improving, never happy with just avg.
If players who replace him cant do any better he comes back, but now knows his spot is in jeopardy an must continue to perform.

Reckon when Subes got given the red vest he understood next step could be out of team.

Biggest dissapointment so far.
Could be very valueable as an inside mid, forwards would love being on the end of his kicks (although not this years kicks).
Knew he couldnt defend but thought he could be ok down back as the guy setting up attacks, but for some reason he fails to get involved.

Going to be a tough game next week.

Garlett matchup worries me. Ibbo has the pace but not the mindset.

Need a defensive job on Yarran. I can see him cutting us up big time on Subi. Who has the pace? Mayne?

Don´t want Gibbs floating around free back there either and setting up plays.

Must improve in the clearances. I would chuck Pav in there a few times during the game.

I don´t think Crowley can run with someone like Murphy. He´s better off on soft as butter Gibbs.

Betts is slow but evasive. Grover has done well on him in the past. Probably go to Broughts this week.

Going to be a very good test for Ross this week. Get the matchups right. Get the structures and gameplan right so they don´t run riot through the midfield.

I reckon we are going to see a very defensive game from us next week. Locking down the midfield. Playing it on our terms where Sandi can dictate play. If its open and free flowing Carlton will kill us.

I think we are going to learn a lot this week about our team, our players and our coach.

We have a tough draw for the first half of the year. Gets substantially easier in the last 9 games or so going on current form.

How about drop Mayne for Silvagni...

I just dont see what Mayne brings to the team that silvagni cant do and exceed?

Same speed, silvagni stronger, can stick marks and is a better kick...

Mayne seems hopeless to me

How about drop Mayne for Silvagni...

I just dont see what Mayne brings to the team that silvagni cant do and exceed?

Same speed, silvagni stronger, can stick marks and is a better kick...

Mayne seems hopeless to me

Bloke was just pivotal in our win.

Put the clamps on Sam Fisher and chipped in with 2 himself.

Outrageous post. Outrageous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back