Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a problem with the consistency of our players work rate. There is also a problem with our ability to handle pressure.

Dropping some blokes to set an example may work in the short term, but doubt it is sustainable. The players need to understand what it takes to win a flag and then put out the same effort every quarter, every week. Until that clicks, we will be middle of the road.

This is the major concern with Scott. The list turnover has been great, as has the development of talent, he has given lots of players opportunity and backed them publically and generally i think he has found the right mix.

But if can't teach them to go to another level when things get hard then he wont coach us to our next flag.

If there is no competition for spots, no desperation for players to perform to hold their spot, no fear that they will be punished if they do not hold tackles, apply pressure, get to that next contest; then we have sweet f*** all chance of improving as a side. I don't care if there are young players, if an example is not set now, it wont be for the rest of their careers.

He obviously doesn't have the right mix, we are 4 and 7 and sitting 13th.

The results really speak for themselves, we are not doing much right, and it has a lot to do with the selection table IMO. Far too many players gifted games, and not performing.

IMO we have only played one bad game, that was against the Gold Coast. The other losses were heart breaking yes but we controlled 75% of those games and experience cost us in the end.

Changes need to be made from last week but nothing wholesale. Another non effort against Freo and I'm all for wielding the axe. It's been a tough season so far being a north supporter but no point getting angry about it, it's important to look at it neutrally and detach yourself from the emotion.

I still have faith in this team, but we need to win this week. I think we will.

The results really speak for themselves, we are not doing much right, .

They are doing a lot right. A kick here, an umpiring decisions there etc does not a disaster make. And don't give me the "its wins or nothing" speech. Lets cut the nonsense.

They are doing a lot right. A kick here, an umpiring decisions there etc does not a disaster make. And don't give me the "its wins or nothing" speech. Lets cut the nonsense.

Nonsense? Claiming that our problems come down purely to a kick here, or an umpiring decision there is absolute nonsense. There is a psychological problem amongst the playing group, there is a lack of mental and physical toughness, and there is an inability to go that extra inch to secure a win. If you dispute that, then you have less of a clue then I originally thought.

"We are doing a lot right" I agree whole-heartedly. People are quick to jump on the deficiencies when things arent going our way. Like I said I think we have only played one bad game all season and the mistakes will be dealt with and rectified.

In reality this team will most likely succeed than fail. We have to let things pan out and back the decisions of the club. We will be fine.

"We are doing a lot right" I agree whole-heartedly. People are quick to jump on the deficiencies when things arent going our way. Like I said I think we have only played one bad game all season and the mistakes will be dealt with and rectified.

In reality this team will most likely succeed than fail. We have to let things pan out and back the decisions of the club. We will be fine.

No. We aren't doing enough right. If we were we'd be winning games.

No. We aren't doing enough right. If we were we'd be winning games.

If we were doing nothing right we wouldn't have won any games or been in front for as long as we have with an average losing margin and percentage that we have.

But maybe, having publicly admitted how painful it was to go through the mass blooding of young players in the first couple of years, he's gotten gun-shy about whether kids are ready or not?

Doubt it. Mullet and Black have been brought in, we debuted Daw and Siera and gave Jacobs a crack early. Greenwood is a safer bet than others due to age, size, time at club so don't think he falls into the gun shy category.

The only player in the VFL showing close to consistent/compelling form is Kennedy but moving him out probably means the end of Firrito or McMahon. They are maybe struggling with taking experience out of the backline, but hardly represents a refusal to give young guys a go.

Anyway, I think Greenwood, AK and Gysberts should play for Siera, McMahon and Macmillan.

Blood young guys? Yeah, scott has been terrible at that.
Scotts wouldn't care for our thoughts IMO. He has been hesitant to drop his favourites this season. In addition if Kennedy up and left with the skill set he possesses I'd be very disappointed. So yeah my previous post had nothing to do with a criticism of blooding young guys per se. :stern look

Regarding Kennedy being ignored, isn't it that the club feels he lacks the "intensity" to play at AFL level and needs to improve on it?

Wasn't that mentioned somewhere by the club earlier this year?

If we were doing nothing right we wouldn't have won any games or been in front for as long as we have with an average losing margin and percentage that we have.

I never said we were doing nothing right....we are just doin a lot less then "a lot".

We have fundamental flaws in our game plan that expose us in a number of different ways. I don't care about average losing margin or %. It means nothing when we aren't winning games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding Kennedy being ignored, isn't it that the club feels he lacks the "intensity" to play at AFL level and needs to improve on it?

Wasn't that mentioned somewhere by the club earlier this year?

Gee if intensity is an issue they need to have a serious look at Wright, Adams, McMillan, McMahon, Bastinac and Firrito

I never said we were doing nothing right....we are just doin a lot less then "a lot".

We have fundamental flaws in our game plan that expose us in a number of different ways. I don't care about average losing margin or %. It means nothing when we aren't winning games.
Gee if intensity is an issue they need to have a serious look at Wright, Adams, McMillan, McMahon, Bastinac and Firrito
Agreed.

At VFL level his intensity seems good enough given how little he gets beaten. How is he supposed to get an indication of the intensity level required at AFL level if he doesn't get games?

He is strong enough, fit enough, fast enough and skilled enough. Give him a freaking run already.

Agreed.

At VFL level his intensity seems good enough given how little he gets beaten. How is he supposed to get an indication of the intensity level required at AFL level if he doesn't get games?

He is strong enough, fit enough, fast enough and skilled enough. Give him a freaking run already.

Exactly the reasons for his non-selection.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I am saying it is a justified excuse, especially with some of those guys listed......

More that many posters ^^^ are wondering why he isn't playing, but I think that is what the club said earlier in the year from memory.

Apologies for the intrusion guys, but just wondering if anyone has an update on Dan Currie? Love him as a player, and saw a few weeks ago that he was slated to return about now, but haven't heard any updates since. Is he expected to play VFL this weekend? Perhaps a chance to play in the seniors in the next month alongside Goldstein or is it basically one or the other?

Agreed.

Not meaning to be smart Tron, but haven't you in the past countered those calling for VFL players using the "trust the club" angle.....and that they know better than us and work with the players each day, so we aren't in a position to comment on selection?

Is Garner any chance of getting a game? Or not ready?
FYI in regards to AK:
In the write up for VFL players on our website it says this about Kennedy:
Ayden Kennedy (19 possessions and 6 marks) worked hard in defence, finishing the match strongly.

“Ayden had some good penetration in the game, he defended well but other times, was a little slow to react. He’s just continually working to be really alert to get onto those opportunities to defend and cut his opponent out of the game.”

Is Garner any chance of getting a game? Or not ready?
FYI in regards to AK:
In the write up for VFL players on our website it says this about Kennedy:
Ayden Kennedy (19 possessions and 6 marks) worked hard in defence, finishing the match strongly.

“Ayden had some good penetration in the game, he defended well but other times, was a little slow to react. He’s just continually working to be really alert to get onto those opportunities to defend and cut his opponent out of the game.”

Most of our ****ing side is too slow to react.

It is hilarious that that is an excuse for him to stay in the VFL.

Not meaning to be smart Tron, but haven't you in the past countered those calling for VFL players using the "trust the club" angle.....and that they know better than us and work with the players each day, so we aren't in a position to comment on selection?
In the past I have stated that Mullet was held back from playing a role off half back because his defensive work was poor. This was indeed the case during the preseason games, specifically noticable in the intra-club, where he looked decent with ball in hand yet vulnerable defensively. The continued exposure of Mullett to that role over the course of the preseason and in 2012 VFL is paying dividends now.

Kennedy has no such noticeable defensive weaknesses as far as I am aware. Perhaps there is a significant flaw less obvious that we are not aware of? Even so, Mullett was given a taste before he was fully ready, so why has not Kennedy? He is in the bests at VFL level regularly and has the aforementioned skill set. Could it be that Scott is just reluctant to move out Firitto and McMahon.

The development pathway for Mullett was pretty damn good. Kennedy seems like he is more than ready for an opportunity.

I'm a bit concerned that we're expecting perfection in the VFL.
4-7 and the least players used.

Lose this and season is over. No excuses not to play the likes of Kennedy, Currie, Garner, McKenzie, Jacobs, Gysberts from next week on.

In the past I have stated that Mullet was held back from playing a role off half back because his defensive work was poor. This was indeed the case during the preseason games, specifically noticable in the intra-club, where he looked decent with ball in hand yet vulnerable defensively. The continued exposure of Mullett to that role over the course of the preseason and in 2012 VFL is paying dividends now.

Kennedy has no such noticeable defensive weaknesses as far as I am aware. Perhaps there is a significant flaw less obvious that we are not aware of? Even so, Mullett was given a taste before he was fully ready, so why has not Kennedy? He is in the bests at VFL level regularly and has the aforementioned skill set. Could it be that Scott is just reluctant to move out Firitto and McMahon.

The development pathway for Mullett was pretty damn good. Kennedy seems like he is more than ready for an opportunity.

I don't disagree with that, and thought it would be how you view the situations as being different (as they are).

My two bolded lines are the unknowns I guess, but I suspect very important as to "why".

I think your initial view is still fair as clearly the club has had a reason why and are best placed to make the decisions......but it's disappointing that they don't feel necessary to pass it on to supporters, especially when it appears a glaring difference in approach concerning player development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back