Preview Changes v Hawthorn, SF 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Drop VB for an important Final and lose his on field leadership to bring in a kid who has played less than 20 games is bonkers in my book.

What about less than 10?

c25614ae7f043ce792f35435016136c3

Drop VB for an important Final and lose his on field leadership to bring in a kid who has played less than 20 games is bonkers in my book.

A team is the sum of all parts, not the individuals. Right now the sum of all parts is working well. Why take out a cog that is working if you do not have to.

i am no VB fan. Just dont see the need to make changes for the sake of change when things are going well.

Hate to say it but VB most certainly stays. He seems to be making some crucial contests and interceptions at crucial parts of the game. Other areas are lacking, but its not like we have an elite player waiting to come back in that he's keeping the spot warm for.

Last edited:

Hate to say it but VB most certainly stays. He seems to be making some crucial contests and interceptions at crucial parts of the game. Other areas are lacking, but its not like we have an elite player waiting to come back in that he's keeping the spot warm for.
Watched the replay. He did some really important things. Sure a couple of his kicks were terrible but he wasn't alone.

Honestly I as much as any dinky Aussie rules follower hates to see a "champion" fail but the old mate VB is really bad - someone who has the energy to check his disposal effeciency can do it but for Fks sake every time he gets the ball it's 75/25 that it will end in our advantage!

However our new captain - Gunnage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VB 67.8
Danger 67.0
Thomo 68.5
Slone 68.4
Smith 69.8

I have faith in vb. I don't know why but he's our 29 year old ex captain, he SHOULD be one of our most reliable in the team. He's not as bad as people make out. Certainly playing much better than he was earlier in the year. He's not our worst player

I have faith in vb. I don't know why but he's our 29 year old ex captain, he SHOULD be one of our most reliable in the team. He's not as bad as people make out. Certainly playing much better than he was earlier in the year. He's not our worst player
Just one of the worst.

If you were going to have to drop 3 players in the team, who would they be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CEY needs to be looked at. We've been killed in the clearances the last few weeks.

We have been bad at the start of the games getting flogged in the middle for the last few weeks now
Thommo needs to rock up from the first bounce, not after half time.
3 clearances for the game isn't good enough for an experienced mid in the finals.

I also hope that Grigg comes in for Atkins, he has been dead on his feet the last two weeks.
Talking of metres gained, I think I read in the paper that Atkins was minus 11 metres for the game ??

Just one of the worst.

If you were going to have to drop 3 players in the team, who would they be?

Going on last week Atkins Mackay and.....not sure really. Either vb hartigan or Cheney.

I actually would've loved kerridge to have taken his place this year, but we all know it's too late for that.

Going on last week Atkins Mackay and.....not sure really. Either vb hartigan or Cheney.

I actually would've loved kerridge to have taken his place this year, but we all know it's too late for that.
For match ups it can't be Hartigan. So you've got VB in our bottom 4. One of those players is a kid who can't really be judged until end of 2016.

We are all hopeful we will get a couple of ready made runner types. VB and DMack are in the gun. VB only has 1 more year and I suspect will retire. We are going to have DMack for another 3 years. Unbelievable.

VB 67.8
Danger 67.0
Thomo 68.5
Slone 68.4
Smith 69.8

Ooops when did I write this...?

Thanks for the info though. The problem with just looking at statistics such as this standing alone is that he doesn't look too bad compared to those just above him, however, it becomes a problem when the position he played gave him more time to dispose the ball in comparison to the other three in Danger, Sloane and Thomo and possibly Smith. He played a spot where he was taking the ball running in a straight line forward whereas the others are in congestion being manhandled and hassled. He turns the ball over too much given his role.

I thought Hartigan stepped up on the weekend. There were a few goals but a lot of his efforts (maybe not all seen on TV?) were fantastic.

I'd really like to see Lever back in the team - at the expense of Cheney if need be. His marking is a huge strength and his presence helps movement out the back. Not once did we kick to Cheney on Saturday, even when he was in space.

Out: Cheney, Rat
In: Lever, ???

VB 67.8
Danger 67.0
Thomo 68.5
Slone 68.4
Smith 69.8
Danger, Thompson and Sloane all play plenty of football as inside midfielders where their possessions are rushed. In the position VB plays, he should be getting safe targets for the most part given he isn't a line breaker.

I would love to see how disposal efficiency is calculated.

VB's hospital ball from deep in the back pocket for instance back into the corridor that sat above a Crows players' head who got pole-axed and the ball spoiled. Does that count as a clanger?

His kick back into the middle of the ground over the head of one of our guys and a Bulldogs player picked it up - does that count as a clanger? Or not as no one marked it and it became a loose ball or a ground ball or something.

His handball to Laird who was already being tackled - is that effective? Laird managed to execute a mid-air handball away to a team mate because he's a genius. Does that let VB off the hook statistically?

His handball that got smothered and ricochet luckily into the arms of Douglas, who passed to Betts for a goal. Effective? Part of a scoring chain no less?

His piercing ball into the F50 for Wood to mark uncontested - I'm assuming that is an ineffective kick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes v Hawthorn, SF 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back