Preview Changes v Western Bulldogs, EF 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo was terrible. Crouch was equally as bad. Crouch has been bad for about a month running now.

Cheney, Grigg in
Henderson, Crouch out.

At least Cheney won't turn the ball over.

One thing I have noticed about The Crows, and it's a serious issue - they really struggle against teams that opt to handball-run-and-carry. That's probably their biggest problem, overall. Against Geelong, and against the Bulldogs earlier in the year, this was blatantly obvious. Stood out like sunburnt dog's balls at a Royal cat sow. When teams opt for this strategy, the only way to counter it is to go to old school One on One, all over the paddock. But particularly through the Midfield. Forget Zone Defence Structures - just lock down every individual opponent, particularly those near the ball carrier. Concentrate on nailing the bloke receiving the first or second handball. But countering this style of play means running, and lots of it. More than a kicking game, and this is where we struggle. And we need to dump VB now, and possibly Hendo.

If we don't plan for this, or don't bother turning up (like against Geelong).....then we may as well forget lacing up the boots and start planning Pre-Season now.

Not to mention Crouch apart from Douglas was miles in front of our other midfielders in disposal efficiency, hell, Lyons went at 45.5% and Sloane barely over 50%...
Love how you're sticking up for Matt Crouch and yet calling Sloane out for poor disposal efficiency (who wasn't great by foot but gave us a lot more than Crouch did).

Sloane was a shitload better then Crouch who has been poor for a few weeks now.

Hendo is another one with high DE but he was pathetic.

One thing I have noticed about The Crows, and it's a serious issue - they really struggle against teams that opt to handball-run-and-carry. That's probably their biggest problem, overall. Against Geelong, and against the Bulldogs earlier in the year, this was blatantly obvious. Stood out like sunburnt dog's balls at a Royal cat sow. When teams opt for this strategy, the only way to counter it is to go to old school One on One, all over the paddock. But particularly through the Midfield. Forget Zone Defence Structures - just lock down every individual opponent, particularly those near the ball carrier. Concentrate on nailing the bloke receiving the first or second handball. But countering this style of play means running, and lots of it. More than a kicking game, and this is where we struggle. And we need to dump VB now, and possibly Hendo.

If we don't plan for this, or don't bother turning up (like against Geelong).....then we may as well forget lacing up the boots and start planning Pre-Season now.

Interesting points.

The one game we played at the MCG this year, we really struggled. Carlton ran us ragged and had somewhere near 100 more uncontested possessions than us. Carlton, FFS!

The MCG is quite a bit wider than Adelaide Oval so you'd think it'd be easier to find your way through the forward press if you're prepared to run, carry and handball out of defence which the Bulldogs are.

If it's dry and fast, I can see the Bulldogs getting some really easy goals out the back of the press, and Spackler firing up the dump truck on Monday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting points.

The one game we played at the MCG this year, we really struggled. Carlton ran us ragged and had somewhere near 100 more uncontested possessions than us. Carlton, FFS!

The MCG is quite a bit wider than Adelaide Oval so you'd think it'd be easier to find your way through the forward press if you're prepared to run, carry and handball out of defence which the Bulldogs are.

If it's dry and fast, I can see the Bulldogs getting some really easy goals out the back of the press, and Spackler firing up the dump truck on Monday morning.

Run and carry destroys us between the arcs. It's been a weakness for yonks. Has been said many times, but we still can't get close to arresting the damage.

Not the full game. As I clearly said I saw bit and pieces of todays game.
Yes the part I saw when VB was on the wing and he gave us a reminder of 2 clagers inside 30s which would be a world record for VB.

Sadly just saw the pieces you wanted to. Was in our best early when alot of the team were absent. Love supporters who look for the errors to suite their bias. A number of our upper tier burn the ball consistently with no calls for their head.

Guess every team needs a whipping boy.

Last edited:
Sadly just saw the pieces you wanted to. Was in our best when early. Love supporters who look for the errors to suite their bias. A number of our upper tier burn the ball consistently with no calls for their head.

Guess every team needs a whipping boy.

The upper tier are that because they most often perform at higher levels. This, "well, Sloane was poor today, no ones calling for him to be dropped" type view is monumentally stupid. If Sloane was poor for months on end his head would be called for. VB's best these days is very average, he is a footballer who provides little now and that won't change going forward.

The upper tier are that because they most often perform at higher levels. This, "well, Sloane was poor today, no ones calling for him to be dropped" type view is monumentally stupid. If Sloane was poor for months on end his head would be called for. VB's best these days is very average, he is a footballer who provides little now and that won't change going forward.

Agree, but VB was ok against Geelong. Still don't particularly want him in the side though. I view his season as a complete waste of development for every game in which Kerridge has been fit, and Kerridge will probably be out the door as a result.

He is Roo with more explosive pace. Talia goes with him out of the square and Brodie Smith when he goes upfield to try and expose him defensively.

We MUST win the midfield. We are likely to get an armchair ride from Sauce again but we can't let them walk it out.

Just a heads up, Beveridge doesn't value the ruck as much as other teams. Example, in Rd 4 when we played you, you won hitouts 48-29 but only won the clearances 43-34. Midfield is the key for both teams, Will be interesting if we bring in Campbell or Minson, rather than the Roughy/Redpath combo from previous weeks. All the best lads!

Edit: Who is likely to go to Bont? Not a high posession getting but damaging whenever he does get it.

Last edited:
Love how you're sticking up for Matt Crouch and yet calling Sloane out for poor disposal efficiency (who wasn't great by foot but gave us a lot more than Crouch did).

Sloane was a shitload better then Crouch who has been poor for a few weeks now.

Hendo is another one with high DE but he was pathetic.

Remind me again how many games and years in the AFL Rory has compared to M. Crouch??

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes v Western Bulldogs, EF 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back