Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the 3rd quarter and the blame should be put squarely on Jake Stringer. The overlap was on and he did a casual left foot kick which did not hit Daniel on the chest, wasn't even close, forced Daniel to run onto a ball with tall player bounding down at him. Not the best effort but an all too casual pass from Stringer as well.

Yeah it was a terrible effort from Stringer but unfortunately for Caleb, every player running at him will be considered tall. Can't hurt sending him that message now.

This bloody congested style of play all teams have adopted does not suit us one iota. I'd back most of our players, particularly our Forwards in one on one contests. Our forwards are feeling it most, they have f all space to lead. That's where the player we hope tom Boyd will be will come in handy. A huge hulking contested mark.

I'd persist and throw Webb and hamling in, but I have no idea who for.

Don't understand the calls for Redpath to be dropped. Deserves another 3 weeks at least. Not that I want Tom Boyd to be dropped at all but Redpath deserves his spot over Tom at the moment if we are comparing.

Who the hell is calling for Redpath to be dropped? Probably played his best game for the club.

Who the hell is calling for Redpath to be dropped? Probably played his best game for the club.

Couple of posters mentioned that Redpath should make way so that Minson can reclaim his ruck spot and roughy moves forward/ruck. Don't like it!! Now is the time to give Roughy the main ruck role against Grundy (who isn't a top 10 ruck in the league) and Essendon (their ruck division lol).

Can't agree. Now isn't the time for experimentation. Now is the time for winning these ****ing games and getting in to the finals.

Minson rotation with Rough IMO is the best combination that we have. Time to use it - particularly when the opposition are weak in this area.

I felt that we were more dangerous with Boyd up front the whole game than we have been with Redpath. Boyd brought the ball to ground more often. He didn't look the best in the contest but he was always at the bloody contest. That straightened us up more than I think people realise.

The elephant in the room is the forward line simply hasn't worked with Redpath and Boyd together. IMO it is one or the other not both.

I personally would prefer we played Boyd. He looks to have more up side and the club has committed to him enormously in contract terms. Redpath should be played only if Boyd is injured or has been dropped back to the VFL to regain form.

Playing them together as we have done not only hurts the team short term in terms of poor forward output, it potentially causes long term problems because Redpath is actually displacing Boyd from his natural position and contributing to his drop in form.

Whilst Redpath is playing ok, I don't think he is playing well enough that his personal output compensates for the overall drop in how the forward line has functioned following his inclusion.
This is not yet an elephant in the room.
They have had a maximum of 1.75 games in the forward line together (actually it's less because of the regular stints Boyd has had in the ruck). Against GCS both players dropped what seemed to be easy marks within easy scoring range so instead of 3 goals between them it could easily have been 5 or 6. (As others were dropping marks and fumbling I'm prepared to allow that it might have been a greasy pill.) Anyway I'd take 5-6 goals between them if I could get that every week.

Against Geelong Redpath took 5 marks (2 CMs - more than any other player for the WB) including 2 inside 50. He really should have had a better return than his 1.1. Boyd spent a lot of time in the ruck so it's a bit hard to say the Boyd/Redpath forward structure was given an extended workout.

I'm not saying it WILL work but I don't think we've given the elephant enough time to even get through the door yet.

If your proposition that playing them together is hurting Boyd's form is correct, then it looks like Redpath's AFL career will be a short one as there's no way we are going to sacrifice his career or turn him into a $6m+ ruckman. We might keep for a year or two as depth but that would be all. However I'm not convinced that's the true picture. At least not yet.

I wrote last week - and I still think this - that we need to give them at least another week or two together before drawing a line under the experiment.

Campbell out, and permanently out. He won't make it as an AFL footballer.

Hunter should absolutely stay in. He was excellent when he came on.

I think we should consider dropping Boyd. It's one thing to not be scoring goals, but he's not even playing the target man role well, nor is he getting the #1 defender anymore. I'd rather wait for him to start dominating the VFL consistently before playing him again.

At present with Stevens likely to be out for the season we've got some serious issues in the engine room. Think Moyd and Picken will have to take some of that load.
Ins hamling Webb
Out Campbell prudden
Doesn't sound like Hrovat or Jong deserve a gig.
Not sure about the ruck.
Roughy and Toyd to ruck. Go without Minson this week, even though I think we would have won last week with him. I don't reckon Pies will force as many stoppages as Geelong did.

Can't agree. Now isn't the time for experimentation. Now is the time for winning these ******* games and getting in to the finals.

Minson rotation with Rough IMO is the best combination that we have. Time to use it - particularly when the opposition are weak in this area.

I felt that we were more dangerous with Boyd up front the whole game than we have been with Redpath. Boyd brought the ball to ground more often. He didn't look the best in the contest but he was always at the bloody contest. That straightened us up more than I think people realise.

I think the best way to get into the finals is not decreasing our forward structure by dropping either of Redpath/Boyd and placing either of Minson or roughead into the forward line for chunks of the game. I don't think between them Roughead or Minson have had a single mark inside 50 this season despite bev rotating them both through their for periods of most games.

We talk about how Redpath/Boyd combination isn't in sync currently. Do we think taking out one of those and rotating Minson/Roughead through their is any better structurally. Redpath takes marks and is aggressive (plus I don't think it helps that midfielders are bombing it on his head when really hes a run and jump type/lead up type). Boyd provides us with a capable second ruck option and is an upgrade on Minson/Roughead as a forward (he can actually mark the ball inside 50).

We all cried out for someone who could take contested marks/mark the ball inside 50 and guess what its not Boyd whos doing that its Redpath. My take on this is that one of Minson or Roughead should be playing (Roughy is vc so he's not going to be dropped) and use Tom Boyd as the second ruck (its a waste playing him in the 2's he just needs AFL experience). Redpath for the moment has solidified his spot and if he keeps marking the ball/tackling aggressively and having some set shots then he deserves to retain his place.

The Match Committee appear to have a view that all of our players playing well in the VFL deserve a shot at AFL. This promotes competition and also tests your full list out. Changes this week will follow a similar theme:
In: Biggs, Jong (although I am not a fan), Talia?
Dale needs more pre-seasons but clearly future best 22. Wallis appears to have back troubles. TC dominated hit outs but they weren't to advantage.
Out:
Dale (big fan), Wallis (inj), TC (ineffective taps are worth nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else notice Blicavs just chilling back and waiting for Campbell and Boyd to take the tap? They seemed to get the clearance when it happened. I don't think Rough or Will would allow that to happen... This kind of thing must come in to ruck calculations, and is why I think Boyd shouldnt be in a proper centre ruck contest, and why Campbell is finished.

Basically gave them another midfielder and killed us (i.e. We effectively lost a player and Blicavs became a mid). Bev would have hated this in particular.

Dogsman I get your point, but I simply dont think that Boyd is good enough to ruck in the middle. He can win the tap, but that is simply worthless, and can be counterproductive when you dont have the appropriate intuitions about where your teammates are...

Last edited:
Biggs should come in, and stay in for the rest of the year, no more of this "one game then dropped" bullshit. With Wallis out and Stevens out for the season, we're sorely lacking in hardened, mature bodies through the middle, and with Biggs consistently dominating the VFL, keeping him out of the team is just baffling.

If Jong's fit and healthy, he should be coming in too. He was huge for us before he got injured, then started playing poorly. Offers loads of pace, great chaser, and both a marking and goalscoring threat.

Anyone else notice Blicavs just chilling back and waiting for Campbell and Boyd to take the tap? They seemed to get the clearance when it happened. I don't think Rough or Will would allow that to happen... This kind of thing must come in to ruck calculations, and is why I think Boyd shouldnt be in a proper centre ruck contest, and why Campbell is finished.

Basically gave them another midfielder and killed us (i.e. We effectively lost a player and Blicavs became a mid). Bev would have hated this in particular.

Dogsman I get your point, but I simply dont think that Boyd is good enough to ruck in the middle. He can win the tap, but that is simply worthless, and can be counterproductive when you dont have the appropriate intuitions about where your teammates are...
I reckon both Campbell and Toyd should have been spiking the ball 30-40 metres when Geelong did that. Or occasionally grab the ball and quickly kick it forward 30-40 metres. Our half-forwards would be tipped off so we would have been first to the ball on most occasions. That would have stopped them trying that tactic.
We just reacted too slowly, both on-field and in the coaches' box.

Collingwood without Travis Cloke and Jamie Elliot in their
forward half could be a little funky in regards to their
avenues to goal. You would hope that we pick up on the
obvious signals like naming Josh Walker as the main ruck
last week and having multiple talls down back as i hate
losing a game before it's played.

Think Webb and Hamling to come in.

Campbell and Prudden to miss.

Wallis should be okay.

Biggs, Hrovat and Jong very unlucky not to come in and I think Grant, Hunter and Dale will have a nervous night on Thursday.

They should've took the ball out of the air or belted it to half forward more often if this was Blicavs's strategy

I reckon both Campbell and Toyd should have been spiking the ball 30-40 metres when Geelong did that. Or occasionally grab the ball and quickly kick it forward 30-40 metres. Our half-forwards would be tipped off so we would have been first to the ball on most occasions. That would have stopped them trying that tactic.
We just reacted too slowly, both on-field and in the coaches' box.
I seen Campbell did this once in the 3rd quarter, tapped it straight to Blicavs, he fumbled then Campbell kicked it forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back