Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought we really missed Stevens and his hard running in congestion on Saturday
They had that Guthrie bursting in a number of crucial plays which really hurt

Unfortunately if Stevens is out, Jong out of form we become too reliant on the bont having a big game
Even if we have won 4 games - we have been flat since the bye

Fascinating to see if we can rediscover the early season energy and resources n over collingwood or will we splutter towards seasons end

I think Stevens if fit will be straight in (talk in here that he is gone for the year but I can't find anything to confirm). Wallis same is ok I think. Hammers is straight in if fit and I think Minson also. Hrovat was good yesterday and could come in and Biggs played well but I'm not sure there is a direct role for him.

I think Prudden and Dale will be out, Campbell if Will is fit will be out too. Then it's just a case of what they want to do with Roughy. If he's to play forward ruck, then Tommy Boyd may have to make way.

I think Stevens if fit will be straight in (talk in here that he is gone for the year but I can't find anything to confirm). Wallis same is ok I think. Hammers is straight in if fit and I think Minson also. Hrovat was good yesterday and could come in and Biggs played well but I'm not sure there is a direct role for him.

I think Prudden and Dale will be out, Campbell if Will is fit will be out too. Then it's just a case of what they want to do with Roughy. If he's to play forward ruck, then Tommy Boyd may have to make way.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Hunter has had 23 touches, 6 marks, 4 clearances and 4 tackles in under 3 quarters in the last couple of weeks. Has also chased hard and pressured the opposition. Deserves a full game.

10 possessions with 6 of those being contested, 3 clearances, 2 tackles in a qtr of footy is too good to ignore. Could probably argue Hunter's quarter of footy was better then Crameri and Dale's whole game.

Yeah it was a terrible effort from Stringer but unfortunately for Caleb, every player running at him will be considered tall. Can't hurt sending him that message now.
Didn't see the contest but believe you. I think Caleb is the kid of guy that just needs Bev to put his hand on his shoulder, stare at him and ask 'do you know what you did wrong in that game?'

Guarantee it won't happen again.

Didn't see the contest but believe you. I think Caleb is the kid of guy that just needs Bev to put his hand on his shoulder, stare at him and ask 'do you know what you did wrong in that game?'

Guarantee it won't happen again.
Yep, I agree Caleb might well get the message, but ...

... if you drop him for it*, EVERYONE will get the message. Much more powerful.

* Didn't see the incident either but will take others' word for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not yet an elephant in the room.
They have had a maximum of 1.75 games in the forward line together (actually it's less because of the regular stints Boyd has had in the ruck). Against GCS both players dropped what seemed to be easy marks within easy scoring range so instead of 3 goals between them it could easily have been 5 or 6. (As others were dropping marks and fumbling I'm prepared to allow that it might have been a greasy pill.) Anyway I'd take 5-6 goals between them if I could get that every week.

Against Geelong Redpath took 5 marks (2 CMs - more than any other player for the WB) including 2 inside 50. He really should have had a better return than his 1.1. Boyd spent a lot of time in the ruck so it's a bit hard to say the Boyd/Redpath forward structure was given an extended workout.

I'm not saying it WILL work but I don't think we've given the elephant enough time to even get through the door yet.

If your proposition that playing them together is hurting Boyd's form is correct, then it looks like Redpath's AFL career will be a short one as there's no way we are going to sacrifice his career or turn him into a $6m+ ruckman. We might keep for a year or two as depth but that would be all. However I'm not convinced that's the true picture. At least not yet.

I wrote last week - and I still think this - that we need to give them at least another week or two together before drawing a line under the experiment.

They have now had three matches together (you forgot the round 1 match against West Coast), and it hasn't even looked close to working constructively for the two individuals in any of them. The exact opposite has been the case in each match, they get in each other's way unless one of them gets shifted or subbed.

Moreover the rest of the forward line around them hasn't worked either. Boyd isn't the only one being displaced by bringing Redpath in, it has also affected Stringer's role not too mention our selection of ruck options.

Another issue worth considering is that most of the goals Redpath has kicked in the past few weeks have come from receiving the ball running back towards the goals, rather than from pack marks or from marks on a lead. These sorts of goals could just as easily have been scored by players like Stringer and Crameri, had they been playing deep forward.

In fact if you can find a link to the highlight's package that the Dogs put out when they landed Crameri from Essendon, the majority of his goals at Essendon were of this same type.

I don't mind Redpath as a player. I think he has some good attributes and I am happy for him to be selected if Boyd isn't in the side. However Full forward (or tall deep forward if you prefer) appears be Jack's only viable position and the key problem for him is that we have recently paid megabucks to bring Tom Boyd in specifically to play as the deep tall forward.

Having done that it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to push Boyd into the back up ruck role to accommodate a fourth year rookie who so far only averages a goal a game.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be making too many changes from last week. Yes we lost, but there isn't really a need for 4 different players each week.

Talia should be in the final 22. Not sure why he was even dropped after the GCS game. He looked okay up forward.

No Stevens is a big loss. Our biggest loss for the year apart from Libba.

INS:
Talia, Jong (we are missing his run and carry, burst from packs and the occasional pack mark)

OUT:
Campbell, Dale (give him time in the ressies, won't hurt him - plenty of time to grow and adapt to AFL)

We'll play Roughy as the main ruck and use T Boyd/Redpath for back up. We might get smashed in the ruck, but we were doing that at the start of the year and seemed to be winning games.

I'm calling for a bold move and say drop Crameri again.

He's not a good midfielder and with even Redpath being preferred as a forward he doesn't have a role in the team.

I'd guess Jong will come in for Koby ( like for like) It's hard to believe that 12 months ago we were lamenting our key backs, and having to many inside mids !!
How the tables have turned

I think calls to drop Redpath are premature. I've said repeatedly that he is a Hall like forward and will require clean entries to be seen at his best; something we clearly are not getting at the moment. That we've won games at all given the horrendous nature of the way we go into the forward line is a credit to all those competing in the air. Jack deserves to stay.

With no Cloke, their game will be built around running and chaotic forward entries. Let's be honest, if Jessie White kicks 6, which has proven impossible for him in the past (which makes it almost a certainty he'll do it against us), they'll go close to winning, but they are missing the one player who has given us the most trouble. History repeats and we always do well against Collingwood and I think we'll do well again.

Collingwood play a hard running style, so playing a tall, immobile team could be fraught with danger. I think Bailey Dale should stay, he's not played a game that ineffective as he did last weekend and he is one who does lower his eyes and hit up forward's properly, so him playing and getting forward entries will be a positive for us. He can also run, which is going to be important. I think Webb has to come in. He's miles too good for the 2s and lets just lock him up as a HB kicker, even though our backline is amazing, we need to find a way of finding a spot for him.

I've read what people have written about Campbell, and whilst his stats may look ok, his impact on the game overall was minimal. He's a player I'm disappointed with, development wise, I thought he'd have progressed further than he has thus far. I thought he had good upside, but he seems to have stagnated. I think he goes out for a more mobile player.

And where is early season Jong? So important, hurt hand, shadow of himself. A good Jong is an auto selection with his pace and burst, we desperately need to find him.

In: Webb, Hamling
Out: Prudden, Campbell

Last edited:
Tough selections once again. I love big TC and he definitely deserves another go after his solid first game. But we have to win this. I know its a development year but playing a final will do more good for this club than anything else, off field and on field. Because of that reason I think Campbell has to go and Rough to first ruck. Boyd and Redpath to get another go under the roof, it will click for them two soon. You just cant expect two big inexperiencrd forwards like that to gel after a couple of games. 10 tackles is bloody huge for Red.

With Stevens out we need a bit more help in the guts, only way I can see us really getting that is to give Stringer his most time in the middle yet. I dont care if he's ****ed by 3qtr time, sub him off (besides his ability to run out a game is being underrated these days, ive noticed lately he's always still going towards the end of the last).

With Stringer spending more time in the middle we can play Crameri forward much more, which is obviously his best spot. Could still rotate those two a bit but no way near as much because Crammers is nothing more than a big body in there. With Roughy the only ruck with a decent chop out from Boyd and Red and Stringer in the middle thats leaving a much much better set up of Crameri, Red and Boyd up forward and is not too top heavy like it has been recently.

Webb and Hamling certainties if ready. If Dale holds his spot it has to be sub. Hunter to play a full game with significant time in the middle and im confident he'll step up. Tempted to bring in Jong too, we need him very soon but sort of seems like he needs one more week.

Folks the Jong of April/May doesn't exist any more. He's not fit. Watch the VFL. When it comes to crash through players the cupboard is bare.

I haven't seen the VFL but I thought Jong was named in the best the last two weeks? Sounded like he was particularly good the game before last?

I thought we really missed Stevens and his hard running in congestion on Saturday
They had that Guthrie bursting in a number of crucial plays which really hurt

Unfortunately if Stevens is out, Jong out of form we become too reliant on the bont having a big game
Even if we have won 4 games - we have been flat since the bye

Fascinating to see if we can rediscover the early season energy and resources n over collingwood or will we splutter towards seasons end
How much of it is teams working us out or just the season grind and losing the form and fitness edge

If Jong still isn't quite there fitness wise should we consider playing him as sub?? Think he could impact the second half if everything goes to plan. He did some really nice things on Sunday. Also means we can give Hunter a full game even though they are different players.

So i'd go:

In: Hamling/Talia (Hamling in if fit), Jong, Webb
Out: Campbell, Prudden, Dale

B: Wood Hamling/Talia Boyd
HB: Murphy Morris JJ
C: Macrae Wallis Grant
HF: Crameri Redpath Dahlhaus
F: Dickson Boyd Stringer
R: Roughead, Bonti, Picken
Int: Webb, Hunter, Daniel SUB: Jong

I reckon that gives us a quick and nifty side, plenty of run and rebound from defence is where we will win the game. White, Moore and their resting ruck gives us a chance to play a pretty attacking backline, I comfortable with only going in with Hamling and Morris as tall defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back