Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prudden playing out the rest of the season (as suggested in the T & LM thread) would be the 2015 equivalent of Mark Austin's reign of terror in 2014.

If Wallis and Stevens were in youd sit back and say...right, we'll go head to head in the midfield. Just not sure we can afford one of Sidebottom or Pendlebury to go unchecked.

How does general admission work at Etihad? If I get there early enough, any chance of level 1 seating? Haven't been in a while and can't afford a membership being a dishevelled student.
Hopefully we turn up and can get the win. We're in with a big shot if Elliot and Cloke are both out. If Wallis is out that's a big loss, running a bit low on inside mids now, with Stevens out as well. Would probably throw Boyd in there if Wally is out.
https://www.facebook.com/Western.Bulldogs/posts/10153443558327487
Save up some coin and get this deal man!
Otherwise GA is Level 3 only I reckon. I'd expect it to be pretty full.

However I think back to the last two years, and would the answer be different? Would we be saying Liam Picken?
2 years ago I would have expected Austin manning up with Swan as the only player inside 50
Austin slips over an invisible banana peel & goes to ground; Swan strolls into goal and wins the game for Collingwood :drunk:
then we hear how we are a young team & just need to crack in harder next time..

2 years ago I would have expected Austin manning up with Swan as the only player inside 50
Austin slips over an invisible banana peel & goes to ground; Swan strolls into goal and wins the game for Collingwood :drunk:
then we hear how we are a young team & just need to crack in harder next time..

But Austin is a good team mate who is just learning his craft like all the young boys are...

Can't believe the calls for Tom Campbell's head. Two pronged rucks with Roughead and Campbell is the way forward, with both able to go forward, both are good kicks and can clunk a grab.
Can only imagine that Campbell 'blew up' on the weekend to be subbed off, he was far more effectual than Tom Boyd. Seems that Boyd is like a thousand dollar brown crushed velvet suit, you paid a heap for it so you've just got to wear it!
Doesn't mean Boyd is a dud or will never be able to play, but at the moment he is a fair way off

Prudden playing out the rest of the season (as suggested in the T & LM thread) would be the 2015 equivalent of Mark Austin's reign of terror in 2014.
Seriously? Josh was playing what... his second game? Do we expect him to be Matthew Boyd straight out of the VFL?

Josh wasn't perfect, but he played a good game, especially for a second gamer - he got involved, was hard at it, did some very nice things inside, and maintained composure under some pretty heavy pressure. Like the rest of them, he came off a Cairns trip, which surely had lingering effects for all. Let Josh and a few others have some development time - in the AFL, not the VFL - and we will reap results. It's not until players have 50 games under their belts that they are truly seasoned AFL players, more for big blokes. If we expect everyone who steps up to play like 100 gamers, we are risking ongoing development.

Are you seriously forgetting the fact that he broke his leg?
It means that he effectively doesn't have the 4-preseasons due to the broken leg.
It means that when he does get injured, he talked longer to get his fitness and form back up to scratch because of the lack of "built up" fitness because of the broken leg.

Don't take this as a crack at Lin, I'm generally just trying to understand why his fitness isn't where he'd like it to be.

If I'm not mistaken he had a leg fracture in the VFL in the early rounds of 2013 which caused him to miss 8 weeks. I don't think that is an issue you can cite mid 2015 as to why he is struggling a bit with fitness. He has had 2 pre-seasons since that and like I was saying with Mitch Duncan he just missed 2 months with a broken bone in his foot and came straight back in and looked as fit as can be. I know all players are different etc but I would think after a full pre-season, 10 games this year and another two full VFL games and 4+ weeks of training since his strain, he should be close to 100% fitness.

Again, not a crack at Lin at all, I'm genuinely trying to get my head around it. Love Jong and hoping he is an IN tomorrow arvo and stays in for the rest of the year, very important player for us.

Just watched it back. Think it was more being caught in two minds. Kick wasn't great from Stringer, Caleb should have done better but hardly a hanging offence. I'm sure bev will bring it up during the week and tell him he needs to make a decision one way or the other next time around.

OK, Im no footy player, but if you go to ground in a 2:1 situation, you are odds on to lose badly, right? Seems to me the percentage play is to keep your feet so you can hassle the opposition players long enough to force a stoppage or for the cavalry to arrive.

So if he is guilty of anything, Id say it was being too ambitious in trying to win the ball outright, rather than the percentage play. Going to ground seems like the worst thing he could have done.

OK, Im no footy player, but if you go to ground in a 2:1 situation, you are odds on to lose badly, right? Seems to me the percentage play is to keep your feet so you can hassle the opposition players long enough to force a stoppage or for the cavalry to arrive.

So if he is guilty of anything, Id say it was being too ambitious in trying to win the ball outright, rather than the percentage play. Going to ground seems like the worst thing he could have done.

Disagree. The camera changes just as he checks his run so it doesn't look as bad as it did live.

He pulls up his run when he saw the oncoming player, he was first to the ball and would have been there quicker if he hadn't have checked his run. The best thing to do what have been to dive on the ball/take the hit/wait for back up which was a second or 2 away. Dabbing your toe at it doesn't cut it when you're first to the ball. I'm sure the Geelong players noticed him pulling up.

Anyway it was a mistake, someone will have a word to him about it. Lets move on and hope it never happens again. We know he's not a shirker, nobody his size/age playing against full grown men would have made it this far if he was.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it somewhere - sorry cant be more helpful. I think he pulled up sore because he took a hit at some stage.
Yes, I believe he got a knee to the back during the game or something in a similar area to his previous problem, had a rub down and played the game out.

Wil Minson?
Exactly. The WB injury website provides an inadequate service to members.

This might in part be explained by the club playing cagey with the opposition leading up to the weekend's games but IMO they should still be able to serve us better than this. AFAIK nobody has ever presented a plausible defence of the way it's managed. If there is one I'd be happy to hear it.

Disagree. The camera changes just as he checks his run so it doesn't look as bad as it did live.

He pulls up his run when he saw the oncoming player, he was first to the ball and would have been there quicker if he hadn't have checked his run. The best thing to do what have been to dive on the ball/take the hit/wait for back up which was a second or 2 away. Dabbing your toe at it doesn't cut it when you're first to the ball. I'm sure the Geelong players noticed him pulling up.

Anyway it was a mistake, someone will have a word to him about it. Lets move on and hope it never happens again. We know he's not a shirker, nobody his size/age playing against full grown men would have made it this far if he was.

No way he should dive on it. Ample time to pick-up and blind-turn, and probably would've drawn the free if he didn't get clear. We need to be consistent when assessing acts on a footy field, if it was Prudden who did the same thing he would be hung out to dry, but because he is our favourite he gets slack.

He should have done more in this play, hopefully he learns from it.

Seriously? Josh was playing what... his second game? Do we expect him to be Matthew Boyd straight out of the VFL?

Josh wasn't perfect, but he played a good game, especially for a second gamer - he got involved, was hard at it, did some very nice things inside, and maintained composure under some pretty heavy pressure. Like the rest of them, he came off a Cairns trip, which surely had lingering effects for all. Let Josh and a few others have some development time - in the AFL, not the VFL - and we will reap results. It's not until players have 50 games under their belts that they are truly seasoned AFL players, more for big blokes. If we expect everyone who steps up to play like 100 gamers, we are risking ongoing development.

Agreed.

The fact he was taking the kick-outs says a lot about how we rate him.

Agreed.

The fact he was taking the kick-outs says a lot about how we rate him.

Hes hard at it with good disposal - doesnt panic. Although I think the pace of AFL will take some adjusting to for him - when he gets the ball he is trying to take time that isnt there. But Id much rather him do that than the opposite which is play hot potato if it looks like contact is coming.

Exactly. The WB injury website provides an inadequate service to members.

This might in part be explained by the club playing cagey with the opposition leading up to the weekend's games but IMO they should still be able to serve us better than this. AFAIK nobody has ever presented a plausible defence of the way it's managed. If there is one I'd be happy to hear it.

Apparently he missed last week with a shoulder issue, but an injury list I seen this morning was "Will Minson: Back - TBC"

Apparently he missed last week with a shoulder issue, but an injury list I seen this morning was "Will Minson: Back - TBC"
What supporter would have any idea out of all this mess?
To paraphrase Mark Twain: "There are Lies, Damned Lies ... and Injury Reports"

More than happy to be wrong on him, but I don't see any traits that transpose to AFL level in Josh. Nothing to do with being a second gamer. Whereas all the debutants this season have shown steady progress and form in earning their upgrade i don't believe Josh has.

If this is a 'look and see' then fine (for a few games), but i tend to think it's due to injuries (young and old) and resting new draftees. If we were full strength he wouldn't be anywhere close to our best 22+. In reality he's teetering just above or within the delist zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back