Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

any news on Treloar's calf? my impression was that he played with it while it was warm to help us win, but that he'd likely miss a couple of games with it

I feel that Crozier is getting some touch back and starting to take those marks again.

At least the Cats showed us how to win with injuries if everyone plays their role.
The irony that GWS showed the cats the week before is not lost on me.

The changes are tough this week, for me. There are players I prefer to the ones that I've picked to come in, but unfortunately they don't offer the attributes that I think we are lacking.

OUT: Richards (inj), Gardner (omit), TOB (omit), McNeil (omit)
IN: Vandermeer, Bruce, Crozier, Cleary/West (sub)

FB: JOD - Jones - Duryea
HB: Dale - Bruce - Vandermeer

C: Williams - Bontempelli - Scott

HF: Baker - Lobb - JUH
FF: Weightman - Naughton - A. Jones

R: English - Libba - Treloar

I: B. Smith - Daniel - Macrae - Crozier
S: Cleary/West

Basically, my priority here is in creating a hyper-mobile back 7 that should be more able to recover from turnover and cover each other more adequately. I don't think our ball use is going to rapidly improve, and we just look so stagnant and immobile down there. The flow-on effect is that we need to choose between tight defensive coverage (losing our best scoring opportunity) or playing loose to maximise scoring and not being able to recover.

Going in with JOD as the third defender is a risk, but I've liked what he's shown back there and frankly I don't have a large degree more faith in the other options. I don't love Vandermeer or Croz, but both offer a bit of pace, and have a stronger presence at ground level than Cleary (who I do really like, but not as a running defender). Also considered is Poulter, but the little I've seen of him at both AFL and VFL level hasn't impressed me.

We need to find a way to get our better ball users the ball in the front half. For that reason, I'm loathe to persist with Daniel behind the ball. I would move Baker to predominantly a hard-running forward role which I think he can fill well. Smith's on-ball minutes need to be prioritised as we can better hide his kicking than when he's on the wing.

One final crazy idea for you all, I wouldn't be against playing with Bont's position on the field. A mix of Libba/Smith/Treloar/Macrae/CD should be able to hold the fort for stints, especially against sides without a strong ruck. Bont can play literally anywhere and we need help everywhere right now. Him off half back in a dual intercept/running role would be exceptional; him as a forward generating space and creating movement is always great, and even him as our sixth forward coming up to be an extra on-baller should allow him more space and freedom without compromising his involvement.

That being said, I suspect the only change will be Richards for Poulter or Vandermeer.

We need run out of defence more than intercepting ability IMO, our whole ability to score or not revolves around our transition out of defence. I wouldn’t be replacing Ed with Croz - alongside 3 talls, because Croz does nothing to make up for losing Ed’s run.

To put it simply, if we go in with 3 of Jones, TOB, Gardner, JOD along with Croz - as I expect we will, we may as well not show up. We will not win this game if that’s how we decide to line up the backline.

I’m okay with Croz playing but it needs to be with a 2 tall setup - Ie Jones, Bruce & Croz.

Bruce & Keath are still so far ahead of Gards, JOD, TOB in EVERY part of the game, it’s not even funny. JOD has potential in 3rd tall role absolutely, but his positioning is still poor, he should play out the rest of the year in the 2s and get the experience alongside Buss down there.

I’d be going Jones, Bruce & Keath as the 3 talls, they offer enough defensive capability and juuuuust enough intercepting ability together, to get by. Then surround them with smalls - Doc, Dale, Cleary and I agree maybe VDM just because we need some run and there’s not really any other options.

Daniel can float back too if we need him in game but would rather not move him back permanently yet.

Does anyone else think we will win this game and us fans will start getting hope again only to play shockingly in the last 3-4 games of the season? Honestly, this seems like a perfect recipe for a Bulldogs win. Under pressure, questions around Bevo, underdogs going into the game and have injuries. It's the same feeling I had against Brisbane, it just seems for whatever reason we get up for these games.

Bruce & Keath are still so far ahead of Gards, JOD, TOB in EVERY part of the game, it’s not even funny. JOD has potential in 3rd tall role absolutely, but his positioning is still poor, he should play out the rest of the year in the 2s and get the experience alongside Buss down there.
I agree with basically everything else except this part. Keath has been awful this year (his form was worse than Gardner at the time of being dropped, although Gardner has regressed further since).

I’m fully on board with bringing Bruce in, but I’d like to see Keath dominate the seconds more before considering a return. My personal preference is dropping both Gardner and O’Brien, but bringing in Bruce and one of Crozier or Cleary who have both been our best defenders in the VFL this year. Can then let Keath, Gardner and O’Brien compete for the next call up, depending on role required

Wests long absence is clearly more than form. still paying for that poor body language last time he played. a little Bevo discipline
So do you think Bevo has just given up on him and is making him serve out his contract at VUWO in the 2s? Or will he get another genuine chance at some stage? i.e. not just as a break-glass option when there is nobody else left who is uninjured.

I know there are mixed views here on him. He'll never be anywhere near as good as his old man but he has a few qualities we lack (or will lack if anything happens to the likes of Libba). He's still only 22 so he might not quite have reached his ceiling yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really hasn't.
He's been serviceable and pretty sound defensively.
His biggest issue has been his brain fades with the ball. But even that isn't to the level of O'Brien and Gardner.

Agree. I'll take Keath any day over both of them. At least with Keath there's a level of trust and competence there. Bruce as well an in for me. Put him down forward - he might actually convert.

And if English gets injured we're screwed. Having Sweet on the list is a gift. Keeping him there might be the problem if others offer games.
True, i think he'll get some regular games at another club, but its clear Bevo wont play him unless English and maybe Lobb as well go down

The changes are tough this week, for me. There are players I prefer to the ones that I've picked to come in, but unfortunately they don't offer the attributes that I think we are lacking.

OUT: Richards (inj), Gardner (omit), TOB (omit), McNeil (omit)
IN: Vandermeer, Bruce, Crozier, Cleary/West (sub)

FB: JOD - Jones - Duryea
HB: Dale - Bruce - Vandermeer

C: Williams - Bontempelli - Scott

HF: Baker - Lobb - JUH
FF: Weightman - Naughton - A. Jones

R: English - Libba - Treloar

I: B. Smith - Daniel - Macrae - Crozier
S: Cleary/West

Basically, my priority here is in creating a hyper-mobile back 7 that should be more able to recover from turnover and cover each other more adequately. I don't think our ball use is going to rapidly improve, and we just look so stagnant and immobile down there. The flow-on effect is that we need to choose between tight defensive coverage (losing our best scoring opportunity) or playing loose to maximise scoring and not being able to recover.

Going in with JOD as the third defender is a risk, but I've liked what he's shown back there and frankly I don't have a large degree more faith in the other options. I don't love Vandermeer or Croz, but both offer a bit of pace, and have a stronger presence at ground level than Cleary (who I do really like, but not as a running defender). Also considered is Poulter, but the little I've seen of him at both AFL and VFL level hasn't impressed me.

We need to find a way to get our better ball users the ball in the front half. For that reason, I'm loathe to persist with Daniel behind the ball. I would move Baker to predominantly a hard-running forward role which I think he can fill well. Smith's on-ball minutes need to be prioritised as we can better hide his kicking than when he's on the wing.

One final crazy idea for you all, I wouldn't be against playing with Bont's position on the field. A mix of Libba/Smith/Treloar/Macrae/CD should be able to hold the fort for stints, especially against sides without a strong ruck. Bont can play literally anywhere and we need help everywhere right now. Him off half back in a dual intercept/running role would be exceptional; him as a forward generating space and creating movement is always great, and even him as our sixth forward coming up to be an extra on-baller should allow him more space and freedom without compromising his involvement.

That being said, I suspect the only change will be Richards for Poulter or Vandermeer.
Don't mind that. Swap Bruce and Naughton would fully agree

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does anyone else think we will win this game and us fans will start getting hope again only to play shockingly in the last 3-4 games of the season? Honestly, this seems like a perfect recipe for a Bulldogs win. Under pressure, questions around Bevo, underdogs going into the game and have injuries. It's the same feeling I had against Brisbane, it just seems for whatever reason we get up for these games.
I think if we can pick ourselves up for this one we’ll be better from then on. Not guaranteed to win all the rest but we’ll give a good account of ourselves in most games. Get our mojo back, if you like.

I'd be looking hard at bringing in at least 3 or even all 4 of R. Smith, Poulter, Croizer and Cleary.

Daniel was excellent at half back on the weekend but the quality of our kicking turned to water kicking the ball in our attacking half and we need Daniel using the ball from midfield and half forward, not HB. And Baker was very, very poor, his best game of the season was more than two months ago and there's no reason why he's an automatic selection when Poulter and R. Smith are newlu available. And I think O'Donnell's time is up, he tried to play a role on Stewart but Stewart was deemed BOG by both coaches. There's 3 of your outs, and there'll be a 4th somewhere before even having to loonst Bruce.

Plus it’s the 140 year celebration

Reckon Port will be harder to beat than Brisbane. They are fanatical the way they're attacking the ball and are fired up to the max, sensing this could be their time. You will have to play 4 very good quarters, without any passengers, to beat them.

Reckon Port will be harder to beat than Brisbane. They are fanatical the way they're attacking the ball and are fired up to the max, sensing this could be their time. You will have to play 4 very good quarters, without any passengers, to beat them.
5 or 6 of their wins could have gone the other way. The rest were against bottom teams.

They've been good but they're hardly dominant

5 or 6 of their wins could have gone the other way. The rest were against bottom teams.

They've been good but they're hardly dominant
They didn't go the other way though and that has set them up. Yes, they only played Hawthorn last week but they hardly made a mistake in the first quarter. They look red hot to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back