Prediction Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Sonny brought so much energy onto the ground when he played sub earlier this year. (Or was it last) He lifts the blokes around him.
Happened twice the year before: against North and Richmond. Scored 2 goals in each and provided a difference. This year his only subbed on game was Sydney, where he was ineffective.

Walters sub works as basically a non-decision (apart from that you'd be fully dropping Aish or Wagner). But the coaches have to be honest with themselves about what they're seeing. Sonny was in a bad patch until that Melbourne game. Maybe the hand was a factor, and hopefully the hammy injury gave the hand time to heal (something similar happened in 2022). But if Sonny needs to get in the rhythm or just flat out isn't best 23, there shouldn't be hesitancy to play him WAFL just because he's a club legend.

Tough calls at selection give health of the list. Cox available for AFL according to Meriman.

Cox for Davies the obvious one.

Then I suppose Walters for Aish, but I prefer Aish as sub as can plug any gap. Walters can go to Peel and coach Delean and Simpson until he's fit and firing?
I thought Walters was injured for 4 weeks and that was a fortnight ago (???). Could be wrong, but not sure he's due back this week......is he..?!

I'd be shocked if Walters was considered this week, mainly on the short rehab, his age and history with soft tissues.
I can eventually see him being used well with the sub role. The forward line structure has looked completely different since we brought Sturt in, and we haven't seen too much of Walters in that particular mix.

For how clean, clinical and polished our forward line has looked for the most part recently, it's Emmett I have a hard time bringing in to the 22 anytime soon.

I'd be shocked if Walters was considered this week, mainly on the short rehab, his age and history with soft tissues.
I can eventually see him being used well with the sub role. The forward line structure has looked completely different since we brought Sturt in, and we haven't seen too much of Walters in that particular mix.

For how clean, clinical and polished our forward line has looked for the most part recently, it's Emmett I have a hard time bringing in to the 22 anytime soon.
and not sure who you would drop for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two more weeks for Cox at Peel is crazy talk. MAYBE one more. If we had McDonald and/or Pearce out there, sure, but he's replacing a 2 game 19 year old. He's going to give more than Davies very quickly (and I'm very big on Davies). If the hammy is ticked and it's just conditioning / form, I dont think it's a hard decision

If you look at Jordan Ridley (similar player to Cox) he played only one VFL game before coming back and dominating and he was out for longer than Cox. As part of their recovery from LT injuries they always do a conditioning block before they come back, just need to get used to the pace of the game and you can only do that playing AFL

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Walters can play midfield if needed - remember his 2019 All Australian year, mid-forward role, similar to what young is playing now. It also helps him get off a lock down defender and gets him into the game. I expect there will be a spot for him somewhere, at some point after he recovers. Someone will be sore, injured etc - don't think he'd play at peel - perhaps can play as sub.
As much as I admire Son Son, his days as a full on mid are way behind him. You are talking five years ago.
It wll be hard for him to fight his way back with our forwards going so well at present.

Last edited:
As muvh as I sdmire Son Son, his days as a full on mid are way behind him. You are talking five years ago.
It wll be hsrd for him to fight his way back with our forwards going so well at present.
I'm thinking JLo will out him back in, when he believes he is ready. I don't think it's a great idea, but is probably what will happen (going by the rest of the year)

Cox for Davies the only change this week, Walters can play at Peel or even Peel reserves like Cox if he needs managed minutes.
We can worry about how Walters gets back into the team next week or when we’re back in WA in a fortnight.

He’s been injured for two weeks. Zero chance he comes back through Peel reserves.

I think we probably give him an extra week given the soft tissue injury at his age. Giving him an extra week or two to return from injury worked wonders in 2023. Hopefully this time off has given the rest of his body the rest it may need - he might just be finished but something isn’t the same as 2023.

Sonny has only missed 2 weeks with that hammy. Doubt he’s playing any footy this weekend, despite being a “test” on the injury report.

The forward line has hummed without him, so I’d expect he misses a few more rather than be relegated to WAFL. Some tough and interesting decisions are looming.

Walters is an easy swap with Aish for the sub

I don't think he will get up this week though

The problem is what to do when he has played 1 or 2 as the sub

I am not sure he provides enough run, or is flexible enough to be a good sub.

Aish can run through the midfield or go back, and provide extra run late in the game. (The ideal sub has a bit more speed)

Personally, if you had a choice someone like Switta would be perfect, but he is too good to be sub.

I am not sure he provides enough run, or is flexible enough to be a good sub.

Aish can run through the midfield or go back, and provide extra run late in the game. (The ideal sub has a bit more speed)

Personally, if you had a choice someone like Switta would be perfect, but he is too good to be sub.
Walters has been our best sub of all time tbh

Don't think any player has come close to his impact as sub for us?

Aish isn't really an impact player, I'd prefer an impact player as sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back