Prediction Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters has been our best sub of all time tbh

Don't think any player has come close to his impact as sub for us?

Aish isn't really an impact player, I'd prefer an impact player as sub

I thought Wagner did a really good job as sub, and provided some run and carry.

I don't think Walters can do that any more, maybe he can for the odd game.

I really hope Walters retires at the end of the year, but having said that I doubted Fyfe would play as well as he had this year.

I remember writing him off in 2022 and he came good for the finals series

Not going to be writing Walters off yet

If he is ready then a couple weeks as sub, will have an injury that lets him in within that time you'd think
I was a staunch defender of Sonny in 2022. Completely different player and different sorta slump to what he is having now.

I think it's very cool and a great idea thay they are rotating being captain through Serong and Brayshaw. I know lots don't like it but if there was ever a case for two captains working and the best solution, it would be these two

I imagine part of Walters, Fyfe, and maybe O’Mearas’ role is to lead and develop the younger players. If they do their job well, the younger players improve, build belief and eventually relegate the older bulls to the twos or retirement.

Brutal industry, in my profession you’re in your prime in your thirties, forties and fifties and only the most passionate look any good in their late fifties and sixties, most seem cooked unless they’re consulting or in leadership positions.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Sonny. He isn’t in his prime, but I think he lifts players around him and if he can regain the polish he had he might still add value to the team. If he’s as good as his last kick, he’s alright.

Best case scenario for Freo is Sonny has done his job and the young blokes take over. Hard to watch, though.

I normally like to have a gander at opposition boards leading up to playing them, but on this occasion it looks like the Tiger faithful have forgotten they're playing this weekend.
To be fair we've been in that position before.
Those draft threads are a lot more interesting at this time of year*

*Any time of year

Sonny's problem or challenge is that, at this stage of his career, he can be contained. That leads to so many comments about his form, but surely the Sydney game shows that it's not all about individual form, stats, etc. From the team perspective, a 6 possession game isn't necessarily a failure.

If Sonny's given even the slightest bit of space, he's so damaging, not just on the scoreboard but I50s, GAs, etc., that the opposition have to pay him respect. That can be — and has been, in my view — used to the team's advantage. All season, Sonny has been play a role (mostly), in the same way Fyfe has been — though the talking heads seem to have only just twigged to it.

The counter-argument is that defenders can "cheat" off Sonny, because he's slow. But that brings to my mind that comment from Longmuir a few weeks ago about he and Sonny both being aware that Sonny needs to do more. That remark was followed up pretty quickly with a comment about the team using him better, which I read as remembering Sonny's there and making the oppo pay when they don't respect him.

In that context, the issue I've had with him this season is when it feels to me that he's strayed from his role, by going up in marking contests. Seems to do it mostly when we're losing, which no doubt speaks to his desperation. Not sure how that's talked about internally.

At any rate, having a humming forward line potentially makes Sonny's inclusion a bonus, in that it really stretches the defence. Send the best medium/small defender to Sonny or to Sturt? The difficulty is figuring out who you leave out and what you do with the distribution and rotation of roles. I don't have an answer to that, but I don't think it's decided on the basis that, e.g, Banfield's form is better than Sonny's at the moment, because ultimately performance is only partly a product of form.

I think we're reaching a point where Sonny in the side might work even in his diminished late career form.:With both Freddy and Sturt in the side we now have non key forwards that their opponent can't roam too far off or the speed will cut them up on the turnover. Opposition sides can't really having 3 of their non key defenders sitting on their opponent all game as it'll kill their run so there could be more oppo for Walters to sag off.

That said there is one Sonny stat that has me worried:

1719974813246.png

For his entire career (apart for a couple of games in year 1) his constested to uncontested possession ratio has been rarely been much below 2:3, usually better (career it's 5:7). This season it's down near 1:3.

I think it's very cool and a great idea thay they are rotating being captain through Serong and Brayshaw. I know lots don't like it but if there was ever a case for two captains working and the best solution, it would be these two

Agreed, in a pinch I would go with Serong - but it does feel those two in particular are so aligned and have shaped the culture of the club together that it could easily work as co captains.
We're actually pretty spoilt for leadership at the moment. Any permutation of Pearce, Andy or Caleb, and then Young and Treacy just underneath and we'd be okay.

Sonny is in that horrible zone between the top of the cliff and the bottom.
Has had some games where he has been a good contributor but others where he has been poor.
In his poorer games he has looked to be selfish, unrealistic pack marking attempts, silly free kicks.
Having said that first game against Richmond was one of his better ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I normally like to have a gander at opposition boards leading up to playing them, but on this occasion it looks like the Tiger faithful have forgotten they're playing this weekend.
We haven't forgotten but are desperately trying to.
Freo by 189 points.

I imagine part of Walters, Fyfe, and maybe O’Mearas’ role is to lead and develop the younger players. If they do their job well, the younger players improve, build belief and eventually relegate the older bulls to the twos or retirement.

Brutal industry, in my profession you’re in your prime in your thirties, forties and fifties and only the most passionate look any good in their late fifties and sixties, most seem cooked unless they’re consulting or in leadership positions.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Sonny. He isn’t in his prime, but I think he lifts players around him and if he can regain the polish he had he might still add value to the team. If he’s as good as his last kick, he’s alright.

Best case scenario for Freo is Sonny has done his job and the young blokes take over. Hard to watch, though.
that's been my argument as well

I think if Freo were coming up against Freo, Walker would go to Walters. He would completely blanket him.

We haven't forgotten but are desperately trying to.
Freo by 189 points.

189 points would be the second highest winning margin ever. Second only to Fitzroy 36.22.238 def Melbourne 6.12.48 in 1979

It would slot right in between there and Geelong 37.11.233 def Melbourne 7.5.47 from 2011

So do you want to bring Melbourne jumpers for the game?

I think if Freo were coming up against Freo, Walker would go to Walters. He would completely blanket him.

189 points would be the second highest winning margin ever. Second only to Fitzroy 36.22.238 def Melbourne 6.12.48 in 1979

It would slot right in between there and Geelong 37.11.233 def Melbourne 7.5.47 from 2011

So do you want to bring Melbourne jumpers for the game?
Ironically I was at that 1979 game. It was at VFL Park. My two cousins had muscular dystrophy and VFL Park was the only wheelchair friendly venue. I was spewing we had to to that game.
I'll revise it then.
Freo by 211 points.

Last edited:
Ironically I was at that 1979 game. It was at VFL Park. My two cousins had muscular dystrophy and VFL Park was the only wheelchair friendly venue. I saw spewing we had to to that game.
I'll revise it then.
Freo by 211 points.

I hope your cousins had a lovely time. :)

I hope your cousins had a lovely time. :)
One barracked for Hawthorn, the other Essendon. They both passed just weeks before their 21st birthdays.
I look back on it now with much fondness.

One barracked for Hawthorn, the other Essendon. They both passed just weeks before their 21st birthdays.
I look back on it now with much fondness.

It's a great reminder to bring as much light into the lives of those around us while we can. Thank you for that. There's a little girl in my family with a similar condition who is getting a big surprise hug later today now.

The forwards haven’t looked in need of a “lift” while he’s been out. I think claiming he gives us some sort of ill-defined “leadership” is a bit fantastical.

As a small forward, he can’t crumb.
As a midfielder, he can’t run.

How about instead we imbue “leadership” in a younger player that can get more than 3 disposals a game?

The future is now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back