Changes vs The Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

vIf0lAD.gif

Last edited:
I agree - he was also very scrappy in possession, spooked that he had to make a decision without much time to consider his options. Maybe today was a bad day to assess players given the circumstances, but then again we want to see who can really make good decisions and execute well more often than not when under pressure.

We had players that were playing in unfamiliar circumstances (Cordy), looked off the pace (Hrovat - although it was good to see him out there), looked a step behind the play (Goodes), lacked awareness (Stevens) - but all of these guys committed when needed. Even Cordy a few times left his man in defence to come and make the spoil, or try and get the loose ball at ground level. Ok, it didn't work, but he tried.

All I saw with Grant was a guy who didn't want to actually go and get the ball. If you need 21/22 committed warriors to make it to the top - he's a massive weak link. After 7/8 years of being in and out of the team, he hasn't learnt the fundamentals - put your head over the ball, take the hit and get up and keep going. Unless we have no players at all capable of playing, I wouldn't waste another minute of game time on him.

I know this is really harsh and I wanted him to succeed - but I'd much rather have Webb, Daniels, McLean etc out there for the long term success of the club.

Ayce Cordy gives us absolutely nothing that an inanimate carbon rod couldn't provide. For some unknown reason there are some around here who think he should get a third consecutive game? :confused:

Round 2 (53% time on ground, red vest):
0 kicks, 2 handballs, 0 marks, 3 clangers, 4 hitouts, 3 frees against, 1 tackle

Round 3 (90% time on ground):
0 kicks, 2 handballs, 0 marks, 2 clangers, 6 hitouts, 1 free against, 1 tackle

At least Christian Howard managed to get a kick in each of his last two games for the club. Time to stamp Ayce's papers as never to play AFL again and move him on.

While I understand where you are coming from, I wonder if the MC think they may have erred in dropping Redpath after one poor game, and are now determined not to make the same mistake twice, so Cordy gets a reprieve for a few weeks.

We had players that were playing in unfamiliar circumstances (Cordy), looked off the pace (Hrovat - although it was good to see him out there), looked a step behind the play (Goodes), lacked awareness (Stevens) - but all of these guys committed when needed. Even Cordy a few times left his man in defence to come and make the spoil, or try and get the loose ball at ground level. Ok, it didn't work, but he tried.

All I saw with Grant was a guy who didn't want to actually go and get the ball. If you need 21/22 committed warriors to make it to the top - he's a massive weak link. After 7/8 years of being in and out of the team, he hasn't learnt the fundamentals - put your head over the ball, take the hit and get up and keep going. Unless we have no players at all capable of playing, I wouldn't waste another minute of game time on him.

I know this is really harsh and I wanted him to succeed - but I'd much rather have Webb, Daniels, McLean etc out there for the long term success of the club.

Somewhat agree with this, I think we just play him as the sub for a couple of weeks in a row to see his impact. Doesn't work we cut our losses. Cordy should already start preparation to pack his bags.

While I understand where you are coming from, I wonder if the MC think they may have erred in dropping Redpath after one poor game, and are now determined not to make the same mistake twice, so Cordy gets a reprieve for a few weeks.

OUT: Cordy, Match Committee
IN: Redpath, new Match Committee

Redpath kicked 2 in the VFL, Hunter was in the bests, Clay Smith (underdone) BOG.

Do we roll the dice? I'd love Smith in the seniors but he's supposedly on a one month match fitness program (3 rounds in the VFL to go).
Hunter has to come in if we lose Honey and may just come in anyway.
Redpath didn't do that much wrong in R1 except fumble marks he'd take any other week - Cordy two weeks in a row with no marks? I often defend him but it's a no brainer, surely.
Bonti is a monty
Haven't seen much of the game but I hope Webb gets another run. I really think he'll be the best of the 2014 crop.

I think we need to try an underdone Roberts. He'll still offer more than Cordy.
OUT Morris Wallis Cordy Goodes and maybe Honey
IN Hamling Bont Wood Roberts and maybe Moyd
Stevens and Pickens lucky
I am actually deciding whether to attend on the basis of Cordy selection. It pains me to watch him.

Somewhat agree with this, I think we just play him as the sub for a couple of weeks in a row to see his impact. Doesn't work we cut our losses. Cordy should already start preparation to pack his bags.

Doesn't work hard enough, often enough for mine to be the sub...

I was pretty scathing of his game yesterday too, just doesn't do a lot of the basics right.

I hoped and hoped and hoped with Grant. And now I know - he's not going to make it. I'm very close to the same decision on Cordy too, sadly. I thought if he improved like he did last year, he'd make it. But I might be wrong...

I hoped and hoped and hoped with Grant. And now I know - he's not going to make it. I'm very close to the same decision on Cordy too, sadly. I thought if he improved like he did last year, he'd make it. But I might be wrong...

Cordy IMO is already gone. Lacks any sort of body strength whatsoever to remain an aerial threat, doesn't get the seperation to make easy chest marks, and hes often caught in no man's land when he is presenting for the ball or even defending.

The scary thing for Ayce was that his best season was in 2012 when he was actually taking some marks and kicking a couple of goals.
The most marks he has taken at AFL in one game in the past 3 seasons (2013 - 2015) is 3 thats it 3!!!!!!!!
Yet in 2012 he was taking 3 or more marks over 50% of the time in his 12 games he played.
This bloke just doesn't have the frame to take any contested marks whatsoever, nor provide a physical presence in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first half at Ballarat showed what happens when Libba, Wallis and Boyd were out of the middle. When Libba was gone for the season, Wally became our most important stoppages player and who replaces him?

Boyd is only short term and has been much better down back. Clay plays the crash and bash but is more of a bullocker than distributor by hand.

As for Campbell, competed well on saturday but plodded around the ground and needs more time on his new running style to get up to AFL standard.

If Honey pulls up then Hunter will have to miss

Out: Morris (inj), Wallis (inj), Honeychurch (inj), Goodes (omit) and Cordy (omit)
In: Hamling, Bonts, Hunter, Boyd and Redpath

This thread- and the autopsy just points out to me how much harder it is to coach a patchy list compared to a good one. Clarko- who fought through that to his credit- hasn't had to deal with that in a couple of years.

If he loses Ceglar or Mcevoy, he puts in Hale. If he wants to sub them, Roughy can ruck. If he loses Hill or Smith, Hartung. If he loses an inside mid he has 6 others hiding on the flanks. He currently has two AA genuine key backs PLUS Gibson, Stratton and back up in Schoenmakers.

Bevo is about to deal with the unavailability of Wallis, Libba and Clay while he's dealing with the fact that he doesn't have a good FIRST option for second ruck let alone a good second option.

To his credit he utilized JJ, Murph, Jong and Dahl for running in the early rounds but when that trick was taken away it got harder. I thought the Jong and Dahl component was good when we managed to win the nut.

Basically this week I bring in Hamling who i'm reasonably confident in (but how long is a week?), Redpath who can at least stay in the game and is training as second ruck in the 2s and deserves a run at it now, Bonts who's jesus' brother, and Boyd who can start to rotate more through the centre.

We're not as strong as we were a week back but if Bevo's a good coach we should be able to string together some competitiveness for this game

Eagerly awaiting the team announcement this Thursday. Will give a great look to where our match committee rate guys like Hamling, Redpath, Cordy, Roberts etc for the KP spots and where they rate guys like Hunter, Prudden, Goodes, Stevens, Rat, Biggs etc to run through the middle. Also interesting to see if they believe one of the new draftees in Mclean or Dale are ready to step up yet.

I'd much rather play Roberts over Cordy/Redpath at CHF.

Geez. I must have been watching a different J. Grant to everyone else.

I wanted him gone at the end of last year, I wanted him gone the year before.
In fact I cant remember a time I didn't want him gone.

But yesterday for the first time I saw some hope. Because for the first time ever I think I saw genuine endeavour from Grant. And not just I want to get the ball & kick a goal endeavour, but backs to the wall, team first endeavour.

Talent has never been his issue, but maybe, finally, for whatever reason Grant is starting to get it.

1 important stat for Grant yesterday.
6 tackles.
That's his career high people.

Geez. I must have been watching a different J. Grant to everyone else.

I wanted him gone at the end of last year, I wanted him gone the year before.
In fact I cant remember a time I didn't want him gone.

But yesterday for the first time I saw some hope. Because for the first time ever I think I saw genuine endeavour from Grant. And not just I want to get the ball & kick a goal endeavour, but backs to the wall, team first endeavour.

Talent has never been his issue, but maybe, finally, for whatever reason Grant is starting to get it.

1 important stat for Grant yesterday.
6 tackles.
That's his career high people.
My thoughts are somewhere in between. He was godawful with the ball yesterday, but he got involved, was switched on all match and worked hard. He's a bit-part player who wouldn't be in the side if not for his athletic attributes but for as long as his endeavour is there he offers enough to hold his ground. Plus, nobody under him is exactly demanding a spot. Would be a poor message to send if he's dropped just to try somebody else who's played average footy underneath him. We know he can dispose of the ball; what we didn't know was whether he can put in for four quarters. He showed that yesterday. Deserves another go.

That said - still don't think he's a long-term piece. But, eh, he's doing enough, and we're going to be making an assortment of changes anyway.

Hi Guys sorry to intrude should be a good game Sunday, you guys are a bit of a bogey side for us.

As a South Adelaide man I wanted to know how Caleb Daniel is going, is he a chance soon ?

Hi Guys sorry to intrude should be a good game Sunday, you guys are a bit of a bogey side for us.

As a South Adelaide man I wanted to know how Caleb Daniel is going, is he a chance soon ?
Caleb is currently injured. Torn meniscus in his knee. Will be back at VFL level in 2 to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back