Speculation Clayton Oliver (OOC 2030)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely he'd pull his head in if traded and around new group of people?
What is the incentive if hes still getting paid what he is for the next 6 years? Do enough not to get in trouble and void the contract and thats it, can play as shit as he likes and still rake in the same amount of money.

Im not saying that is what will happen, but its absolutely in the range of outcomes. Far more likely that than him getting back to 2021 form id say given its been a gradual drop off rather than a one year thing. Might see a spike early on for a new club but him staying motivated long term when it looks like he doesnt really care now is the issue.

Last edited:
Tradeable if Melbourne pay enough of the contract to make him a run of the mill salary.

Ceiling is higher than the vast majority of AFL players but the risk is that its all downhill from here.
if melbourne were to do this and he turned things around the optics would be terrible. paying a significant portion of his wage whilst he tears it up for an opposition club would see heads roll there.

cant see them doing it.

if melbourne were to do this and he turned things around the optics would be terrible. paying a significant portion of his wage whilst he tears it up for an opposition club would see heads roll there.

cant see them doing it.

Yeah it's no win for them. The time to do it was last year (they could have traded Petty and Oliver and been right banditos).

cant see them doing it.
Its really whether they think they can go round 1 more time with Gawn and May, if they dont think they can then they may as well get rid of him and remove the negative influence around the club imo.
Losing Brayshaw is already a huge loss that probably means a premiership is out of reach anyway.

With the way the draft is setup with academies and stuff its better to bottom out than sit in the middle of the ladder for years anyway

Yeah it's no win for them. The time to do it was last year (they could have traded Petty and Oliver and been right banditos).
Im not sold on Petty being as bad as everyone thinks he is. Hes played his best football as a defender and is coming off a significant injury. Played really well vs Hawthorn when he went back for May when he broke him ribs earlier in the season. The coach is a stubborn dickhead and wants to be proven correct (just like with his shitty game plan). If someone was to trade for Petty this year and play him permantley as a defender they'd get an awesome return on what they paid I reckon.

Im not sold on Petty being as bad as everyone thinks he is. Hes played his best football as a defender and is coming off a significant injury. Played really well vs Hawthorn when he went back for May when he broke him ribs earlier in the season. The coach is a stubborn dickhead and wants to be proven correct (just like with his shitty game plan). If someone was to trade for Petty this year and play him permantley as a defender they'd get an absolute bargain I reckon.

I didn't say he was no good, but the reported trade offers for him last year were well over the odds.

I didn't say he was no good, but the reported trade offers for him last year were well over the odds.
I think Kane Cornes has exaggerated it greatly. a late first and McAdam I think was the best we were offered. But yeah, given what wed be offered now after tanking his value as a forward it seems dumb as hell.

cant see them doing it.
Hes got the club over a barrel, they'll keep him coz they wont get enough back in a trade and beg him to be a good boy and not get sent home from any preseason camps this year.

Do the Cats even want him now?
Similar trajectory to Jack Steven trade. We made the man an offer, didn't happen, fell well and truly off the rails, still traded for him the next year but at much reduced trade cost.

That contract is absolutely dire though so Melbourne would be to be a motivated seller I assume

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Sydney, no to Oliver as a Warner replacement, especially I they win the 2024 flag.
They could get in someone like Perryman , take freos first rounders to the draft which makes their list younger.
We don't need to make our list younger, that was our problem leading into the offseason that our midfield core was too young. Oliver would be a dream fit for the Swans.

Who are the Cats paying from next year? You'd expect quite a few will retire/go. Are the only big salaries then Jezza, Holmes and Stewart?

Wonder if they'd take on the entire contract for Dees first.

27 year old with 6 years remaining on $1.2 mil and massive issues on and off the ground

Wow
For context.

Adam Treloar was 27, on a similar $$ contract relative to the salary cap size (five years as opposed to six), he never really had any issues off field (nor was he ever unfit) and whilst a lesser player than a fit Oliver, coupled with a desperate Collingwood, we traded him in for a draft points surplus and a third of his salary paid.

For context.

Adam Treloar was 27, on a similar $$ contract relative to the salary cap size (five years as opposed to six), he never really had any issues off field (nor was he ever unfit) and whilst a lesser player than a fit Oliver, coupled with a desperate Collingwood, we traded him in for a draft points surplus and a third of his salary paid.
I think the main red flag is his off field issue's and thats amplified with his physical condition

Both scenario compared id have more confidence trading in Treloar

West Coast could be the best place for him to go. They would have heaps of salary in the cap available so could take his contract. He would get away from his social group of bad influencers and West Coast is poor in the midfield and could do with another inside midfielder to support Yeo, Kelly and Reid.
I 100% endorse the view that Oliver should go to WC

Jeez this contract is horrendous. Is Oliver that unfit atm? He's played every game he should have a pretty decent fitness base by now. I think he's a victim of the game being a bit quicker ala Macrae and Daniel from our mob. The athletic profile of players is more important than ever

Who are the Cats paying from next year? You'd expect quite a few will retire/go. Are the only big salaries then Jezza, Holmes and Stewart?

Wonder if they'd take on the entire contract for Dees first.
Guthrie will have one more year I think of decent money, Jez is a big contract but it's the only million dollar one on the books. Blitz I don't think is huge money but he's one of the only ones contracted. Stewart a decent but not outlandish contract. Holmes again isn't huge but his next will be.

We actually are in danger of planning around the cap floor. Need Smith at the very least to prevent having to overpay kids.

Jeez this contract is horrendous. Is Oliver that unfit atm? He's played every game he should have a pretty decent fitness base by now. I think he's a victim of the game being a bit quicker ala Macrae and Daniel from our mob. The athletic profile of players is more important than ever

At a guess his conditioning is probably cooked from not having a preseason so the accumulation of games has worn him down.

I have no idea why the dees didn’t make him do a 4-6 week mini preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back