Coaches Under Pressure for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
John Worsfold - Three years out of the finals is a club record for West Coast and a fourth would see him lose his job. Won the club's first wooden spoon in it's history in 2010 and no light and the end of the tunnel in the near future.

Michael Voss - After a horrendous 2010 he needs to get his club back up the ladder and get the locker room happy again, won't be helped by some big name departures.

Neil Craig - Another year out of the 8 would spell the end for Craigy, his Crows though could make a case for the 4 if everything goes right.

Alistair Clarkson - Another year of discontent at the Hawks will cost Clarkson his job at Hawthorn, could go either way as it stands.

Brett Ratten - Was under pressure early in 2010 when Carlton got off to an average start and that pressure will return if the Blues aren't firing early, probably needs to make the 2nd week of the finals to be assured of a position in 2012 and beyond.

Rodney Eade - His club is in a precarious position, an aging list and confidence would have taken another beating after another unsuccessful finals campaign. Eade would need to make a GF probably to save his job and his career beyond 2012.

Potentially:

Dean Bailey - Could come under pressure if the Demons don't make the 8 after a improved 2010.

Mark Harvey - Needs to backup his sides wonderful 2010, Fremantle have never made the finals two years in a row and if they miss they have a magnitude of talented assistants that are primed to take over.

John Longmire - New coach but big expectations followng the departure of the legendary Paul Roos. Needs to make the 8 again to keep it's head above water in the Sydney market.

Another bad patch of form a la early 2010, or poor year like 2009 will see Clarkson well under the pump. Spoke a fairly strong mission statement at the B+F, and how has to back that up.

Can't see why a first year coach in Longmire should be under pressure.

Also think that the Dockers would have to have a horrendous year (unexplained by injury) for Harvey to come under fire, especially with Worsfold alongside him in Perth to attract the glare of the local media.

How about Ratten? If the Blues don't make the finals, maybe even if they don't win a final, wouldn't there start to be questions about him?

Also think that the Dockers would have to have a horrendous year (unexplained by injury) for Harvey to come under fire, especially with Worsfold alongside him in Perth to attract the glare of the local media.

How about Ratten? If the Blues don't make the finals, maybe even if they don't win a final, wouldn't there start to be questions about him?

He could be but it's unlikely. Ratten could be added to this list also.

I agree with Harves being under pressure

Not in the same way that someone like Worsfold would be under, but definetly pressure to perform - especially to emulate 2010 and of course better it

Bailey as well, with the promise he's shown at Melbourne - as with Hardwick

Hird and Primus I think are safe for this year unless the results are really really terrible - Scott is in a similar position (Geelong) but once again I think he'll be safe for this year

Craig will be under the pump

McKenna I'm not sure about at this stage - new club and all that but will be interesting

I agree with Harves being under pressure

Not in the same way that someone like Worsfold would be under, but definetly pressure to perform - especially to emulate 2010 and of course better it

Bailey as well, with the promise he's shown at Melbourne - as with Hardwick

Hird and Primus I think are safe for this year unless the results are really really terrible - Scott is in a similar position (Geelong) but once again I think he'll be safe for this year

Craig will be under the pump

McKenna I'm not sure about at this stage - new club and all that but will be interesting

Yeah, Harvey will want to keep the Dockers cruising along and follow up strongly from last season. Don't want to be another Connolly and after a successful season have it all go belly up.

Ratten and Worsfold are obviously the main contenders. Either of those have a crap beginning to 2011 and you'd think the axe will fall. Craig will also be feeling the pinch if they get away to a sluggish start next season.

Hird and Scott are starting fresh so they'll have some leeway, as will Longmire.

In addition to the obvious ones: James Hird.

As a first year coach of a list with frailties he should be given plenty of time a la Hardwick at the Tiges.

But a combination of the manner in which Knights was handled and the 'Messiah' reputation of Hird with Essendon supporters, could see him under pressure much earlier than expected.

John Worsfold - Three years out of the finals is a club record for West Coast and a fourth would see him lose his job. Won the club's first wooden spoon in it's history in 2010 and no light and the end of the tunnel in the near future.

Michael Voss - After a horrendous 2010 he needs to get his club back up the ladder and get the locker room happy again, won't be helped by some big name departures.

Neil Craig - Another year out of the 8 would spell the end for Craigy, his Crows though could make a case for the 4 if everything goes right.

Alistair Clarkson - Another year of discontent at the Hawks will cost Clarkson his job at Hawthorn, could go either way as it stands.

Potentially:

Dean Bailey - Could come under pressure if the Demons don't make the 8 after a improved 2010.

Mark Harvey - Needs to backup his sides wonderful 2010, Fremantle have never made the finals two years in a row and if they miss they have a magnitude of talented assistants that are primed to take over.

John Longmire - New coach but big expectations followng the departure of the legendary Paul Roos. Needs to make the 8 again to keep it's head above water in the Sydney market.

It's interesting that 2 of the top 4 have been premiership coaches in the last 5 years. In years gone by that would have given the coach a very long grace period but both teams have fallen away quickly for reasons both inside and outside of their control.

First of all, what is a 'magnitude', as you use it? Second of all, who are the talented assistants. The most talented was just poached by Geelong. Wallis has gone back to Vic. Can't see Barry Mitchell taking over, doesn't seem the head coach type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never much pressure on first-years.
Worsfold would have to be one of the luckiest coaches going around. 3 abysmal years with about a 5 week window of ok last year. Gone, IMHO, stale and staid. Clarkson less so, could well get done.

You don't know the WA media very well. If Worsfold finished bottom four-five again (anywhere but last, essentially) and Harvey just missed the finals, the knives would be out for Harvey.

They were pretty hands off Worsfold's performances this year, and he had a horrible year as coach. Anyone else have a team put in such terrible performances as his did and perform as badly in the media, after three years near the bottom, and they'd have been hounded by the media and booted.

Malthouse - I don't think anything he does will be good enough to keep him in the job for the following year.
I reckon he'll get a bit of Bomber Thompson action going, but try and upstage him:

giant_sandwich-882.jpg

Because he will be taking the same list which finished 5th (minus Kirk who was waning) into 2011. In the unlikely scenario that we finish bottom 4 the finger will be pointed squarely at him.

In addition he was handed the position on a platter so the scrutiny will be even closer

Agree with all these, but suggest Chris Scott as opposed to John Longmire?

I mean Geelong are now accustomed to success. Will they go easy on Chris? They've already come out and said the believe they can challenge for next year.

Will it be a minimum of Prelim or bust for Chris in year one?

Ratten for mine - the blues wobbled & almost stuffed 2010 up as far as making the finals - must improve from that benchmark with the young talent available on his list or end of 2011 will see the rat gone imho.

Potentially:

7 teams Identified.

Given they Collingwood, Geelong, St Kilda, Bulldogs should be in the 8 it seems 3 of those teams wont.

What about Rocket, by the way ? Is another prelim good enough - 4 prelims no Gf would be a record wouldn't it ?

Malthouse - I don't think anything he does will be good enough to keep him in the job for the following year.

bugger you beat me to it.

mine was something like - mcguire demands he moves them up another 4 places or he's gone, he's finished, he's out of coaching at the pies. he'll be doing some dreadful desk job if eddie has his way.

just a rumour tho.

Potentially:

Top OP sdb4884.

Agree with most of what you said, thou I think John Longmire will get at 2011 to get his act together.

Prob would take out Mark Harvey, as someone else Freo would need to fall away totally for Harvey to be really under the pump. That said I can't see and I have voted for Freo to make the final 4.

As i live in Adelaide must agree on Craigy...boy he was really in gun last year. Another start like that and think Crowland will have new coach by mid-2011. Neil might get a little breathing room with retirements of the stars and rebuilding but they need show improvement.

Question is : Who people feel will be first coach get the axe ?

I'll go for Vossy, Brisbane are a shambles and really only cutting the coach will
satisfy the Brisbane supporters.

PS unless Malthouse goes back-to-back he will not be coaching at Collingwood in 2012 LOL!! :p

I expect Ratten will be given the whole year no matter what but if Carlton fail to make the finals he would probably be pushed out the door. It all depends on how everything goes with the whole new list of coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches Under Pressure for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back