Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I just looked at Brisbane's list in a bit of detail, and I think you're right. Names like Green, Taylor and Mayes seem appealing until you hold them up to scrutiny. They just don't add up. I had a look at Rich who you suggested, and even he has only cracked an average over 20 disposals once in his career. He doesn't get a lot of it which surprised me. Their list is depressingly bad. They won't recover for a long long time. If I were Schache I would be getting the hell out of there.

Sadly I think Schache might stick it out because of his Dad

I just looked at Brisbane's list in a bit of detail, and I think you're right. Names like Green, Taylor and Mayes seem appealing until you hold them up to scrutiny. They just don't add up. I had a look at Rich who you suggested, and even he has only cracked an average over 20 disposals once in his career. He doesn't get a lot of it which surprised me. Their list is depressingly bad. They won't recover for a long long time. If I were Schache I would be getting the hell out of there.

Rich has never improved as an accumulator since his first season really.

He gets attention but his impact per possession is what makes him useful as a penetrating kick who hits his targets.

With Rich if he was to go anywhere it would be a WA club, so he probably isn't a realistic target anyway.

Schache was enthusiastic about joining Brisbane and I expect stays. They'll in time build via the strength of their academy recruits, but they'll take time.

It's more those first year and a limited few second years who are good and there is no way they're moving them.

First selection made:

25 Collingwood - Kobe Mutch

Rationale: Fundamentally believing that free agency, trade week and the rookie draft are the times to fill list needs it was an easy decision to pick Mutch who I rate inside my top 10 in this draft. He is the only remaining player inside my top 15 making the decision a simple one.

How he fits Collingwood's list: Kobe Mutch on Collingwood's list would be expected to debut in season one and has a strong chance to push into the clubs best 22 by seasons end. Mutch is a straightforward fit onto a wing and can push onto the ball, forward or back as required also.

Draft summary profile:
Kobe Mutch (NSW/ACT - GWS academy)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 184cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Plays like: Steele Sidebottom
Projected draft range: first round to second round
Rated last month: 13
Strengths:
- Production
- Endurance
- Unrewarded outside run
- Work rate
- Stoppage work
- Ability to win first possession at stoppages
- Contested ball winning ability
- Distribution by hand
- Tackling ability
- Clean hands
- Links up
- Football smarts
- Comfortable kicking with either foot
- Two-way runner
Weaknesses:
- Lacks an x-factor
- Clean but not damaging ball user by hand and foot
- Pace
- Contested marking

First selection made:

Rationale: Fundamentally believing that free agency, trade week and the rookie draft are the times to fill list needs it was an easy decision to pick Mutch who I rate inside my top 10 in this draft. He is the only remaining player inside my top 15 making the decision a simple one.

How he fits Collingwood's list: Kobe Mutch on Collingwood's list would be expected to debut in season one and has a strong chance to push into the clubs best 22 by seasons end. Mutch is a straightforward fit onto a wing and can push onto the ball, forward or back as required also.

Draft summary profile:
Strengths:
- Production
- Endurance
- Unrewarded outside run
- Work rate
- Stoppage work
- Distribution by hand
- Tackling ability
- Clean hands
- Links up
- Football smarts
- Two-way runner
Weaknesses:
- Lacks an x-factor
- Pace
- Contested marking

Don't we have Plenty already like Mutch as a Inside Mid?

First selection made:

Draft summary profile:
Strengths:
- Production
- Endurance
- Unrewarded outside run
- Work rate
- Stoppage work
- Distribution by hand
- Tackling ability
- Clean hands
- Links up
- Football smarts
- Two-way runner
Weaknesses:
- Lacks an x-factor
- Pace
- Contested marking
Who would you have picked if academy players were taken out of this draft. Or I guess if GWS matched the bid in this situation.

Don't we have Plenty already like Mutch as a Inside Mid?

Mutch can play inside/outside.

He can function as another Sidebottom and play on the outside - as per the how he fits on Collingwood's list (notes) listed in my above comment.

Who would you have picked if academy players were taken out of this draft. Or I guess if GWS matched the bid in this situation.

GWS would have matched in reality at that stage I would have guessed.

My next best available I wouldn't be surprised to see available at pick 43, so I won't spill the beans on that one just yet.

It's a midfielders draft and I will give the hint that four of the five next best available and six of my next eight best available are midfielders.

Or now that he has been picked.

Willem Drew was the next best available (tall inside mid). Pure onballer and a first possession winning and tackling beast (with still good pace/skills and marking ability by position).

Thought it might have been him. One of your favourites. :)

I was hoping because he was played out of position during the U18 Championships that he had dropped down draft boards. But apparently not.

Drew is someone who can have 25 disposals but 20 of those will be contested. And he'll have that +10 tackles. Doing that at 188cm without his pace/skills being bad. He looks like he'll translate very well to AFL play with time.

Contested ballers historically translate and Drew from an attribute and measurement standpoint also looks good.

--
Kobe Mutch I favoured slightly as he is probably the highest production mid in this draft and has that good inside/outside balance with a good all-round game that more immediately can translate.

Either would be nice though.

How deep do you expect Collingwood to go in the draft?

Depth is ok in this draft.

How many Collingwood select will depend on list turnover and whether any further picks are traded for. Assuming picks stay as is I'd expect we take 3-4.

Not a terrible year to have a late or rookie pick. Good depth of midfielders (inside), small forwards and ruckmen particularly later in the draft.

Does Lachlan Tiziani scream a Collingwood pick up? He's been having an outstanding TAC season. Will he last until a later pick? We have been picking these types up lately, will be interesting to see if we keep going down that path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Lachlan Tiziani scream a Collingwood pick up? He's been having an outstanding TAC season. Will he last until a later pick? We have been picking these types up lately, will be interesting to see if we keep going down that path.

I'm not as across this years draft group as previous years so judging by your first question I assume he's an overeager, has below average skill, below average speed, below average goal sense, is sub 180cm and has a redeeming feature of being able to find a lot of the ball? I speak of course on behalf of 80% of the board that doesn't rate our list lol.

I'm not as across this years draft group as previous years so judging by your first question I assume he's an overeager, has below average skill, below average speed, below average goal sense, is sub 180cm and has a redeeming feature of being able to find a lot of the ball? I speak of course on behalf of 80% of the board that doesn't rate our list lol.
Haha, he's the one that's going to turn our list around Sco ;) I believe they call him the second coming of Chris Judd.

In all seriousness from what I have seen he's a 189cm and he's been hitting the score board each week as well as finding the ball. Just seems like a Hine pick to me. Whether that's a bad thing I don't know haha.

Tiziani could receive consideration. He hasn't dropped below 3 goals in a game this past month. Tall, has versatility. If there late/rookie he is worth consideration.

I look forward to seeing how he goes between now and seasons end. If he maintains his current form/continues to improve. He deserves strong consideration. He's on a tear at the moment.

189cm, versatile. Pace and skills average-above average. In his past five games has not dropped below three goals.

First selection made:

Draft summary profile:
Strengths:
- Production
- Endurance
- Unrewarded outside run
- Work rate
- Stoppage work
- Distribution by hand
- Tackling ability
- Clean hands
- Links up
- Football smarts
- Two-way runner
Weaknesses:
- Lacks an x-factor
- Pace
- Contested marking

LOL another mid selected.:rolleyes:

A player who is slow and can't kick. Perfect Derek Hine selection. Sier mk II?

Last edited:
First round pick should be a key position player. Especially if we are a committed to taking one or both of Brown and or Daicos as father-son picks.

Both Travis Cloke and Nathan Brown are done.

I don't see point of picking a midfielder and having him play on the half forward line because their are no midfield spots available. See DeGoey, Aish, Broomhead (when he got an AFL game).

Last edited:
LOL another mid selected.:rolleyes:

A player who is slow and can't kick. Perfect Derek Hine selection. Sier mk II?

I'm not seeing the similarities.

Sier played mostly school footy and from his two (last August) TAC Cup games he averaged 15 disposals.

Mutch by contrast has not had below 28 disposals from his four TAC Cup games and averages a competition high 34 disposals per game at that level.

Mutch covers the ground much better. He isn't a linebreaker as with Sidebottom but his endurance and work rate is top notch. Skills are good. He finds the footy easily. Has the versatility to play inside/outside/forward/back. Collingwood can use that.

First round pick should be a key position player. Especially if we are a committed to taking one or both of Brown and or Daicos as father-son picks.

Both Travis Cloke and Nathan Brown are done.

I don't see point of picking a midfielder and having him play on the half forward line because their are no midfield spots available. See DeGoey, Aish, Broomhead (when he got an AFL game).

I disagree that Cloke and Brown are done.

David Cloke as a 36 year old played 22 games. Trav can play until 35 given his durability and those genetics.

Nathan Brown similarly I have no problem with and would happily persist with for another five years at full back. He plays his role and limits the influence of his direct opponent. Until he is surpassed, he is a fine option.

On the topic of the draft. Key position players outside the first round are generally not suitable for selection. This year the key defence depth is poor and for key forwards the only two I'd look at as worthwhile for AFL play are Marshall and Battle who both are first round selections. Without a first round selection, it's pointless wasting a selection on someone who isn't AFL grade.

Aish isn't an onballer and Broomhead is good on a forward flank. De Goey needs more minutes on the ball and his minutes inside should be prioritised over all expect Pendlebury in my view as he is a difference maker at stoppages.

I'd be looking to use Mutch specifically as another Sidebottom. Use him primarily on the wing and he can at times be rotated onto the ball or forward/back as needed.

After Sidebottom, I'm not seeing another high level wing who can find the footy as easily. Mutch can basically be a second Sidebottom, with Sidebottom like Mutch not quick, probably to a greater extent again but just having incredible endurance.

Having X-factor is fine, but at the end of the day, you have to be able to ball. And Mutch can.

With Ball retired, D.Thomas gone, Beams gone and Swan possibly retired at years end. I'm not seeing our midfield as impossible to break into. Pendlebury, Treloar and Sidebottom are those high level pieces. But more is needed. De Goey can add to that. More than four high level midfielders are needed today with the better teams having 5-7 high level midfielders.

If we are looking to address key position needs. Trade week is probably the time to do it, unless a key position player presents as the best available selection at one of our picks.

Knightmare what you think Aish is? I disagree I can see him coming a In-Baller in the Mould of Pendles and Steele.

But Reading what you say Aish was a Dumb trade as he is a Total and Utter Bust

Knightmare what you think Aish is? I disagree I can see him coming a In-Baller in the Mould of Pendles and Steele.

But Reading what you say Aish was a Dumb trade as he is a Total and Utter Bust
How on earth could you have possibly gotten that he's a bust? KM specifically said earlier that he was happy with Aish since he came back from the VFL earlier...

How on earth could you have possibly gotten that he's a bust? KM specifically said earlier that he was happy with Aish since he came back from the VFL earlier...

Well Knightmare has not said 1 good thing about Aish and how everything he does is not at AFL Level

Do we keep,Trade Up or Down?
Depends on deal, depends on need, depends what's available.
Circumstances will dictate all such questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back