Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting you rate it that way. I watched him closely at the VFL game in Ballarat and after about his 5th possession I just new what his move was going to be. That's OK sitting on the sidelines but it's quite another to predict it in a game. When he came back to AFL, I noticed that he didn't get away with that deft predictable sidestep he takes. Could it be that after a year or two clubs have worked him out?
Each step in higher grade makes it harder to feign opposition.
Williams has some remarkable talents, esp his power at the contested ball.
His disposal has been maligned and that is fair for him to carry until / if he improves that part of his game.

The saddest part for him, is his off field dedication means his career is swinging in the breeze, it could all blow a way if he doesn't crack on at north. Up to him now.
If he doesn't get that, it will be a shame....

With the risk of looking too far ahead the 2017 FA list is quite delicious.

I can see us really using that to our advantage. Elite mids but also some excellent KP defenders which may make the Dunn move make a lot more sense. I would be going after Jackson Trengove from Port. Port does have salary cap issues and I like the way he plays - takes no prisoners.

Brent Harvey had a pretty good year but on close inspection of his last 6 weeks I think he started to look quite old and struggling to compete against the best teams. At 38 I believe it would have been irresponsible for one of the other 17 teams to recruit him.

Still some talk the Pies will look at Nicky Dal as a DFA. Would be disappointed if they do. Soft, slow and sideways dinky kicks. Not for mine

I had no major issue with Harvey's last 6 games having watched four of them. Still found, used the ball and hit the scoreboard. v Sydney was winning the contested ball with the game requiring him to. He's also a very capable contested ball winner and tackler but due to role this year we didn't see as much of it.

Dal Santo is one of the better kicks into the forward 50m in the game. His work by hand particularly this year was exceptional and set up a lot of play from behind the ball. Very efficient and very productive overall. Would as I've said before strongly recommend the club look to bring Dal Santo in with a now reasonably shallow best 22 requiring some more established quality.

Im incredibly disappointed by our lack of commitment/effort in getting Marchbank. In the end he really just went for a late first rounder and we could've easily traded our 2nd round pick to a pick in that range

Marchbank is extremely important especially for us with LITTLE TO NO KPD talent coming in where Marchbank would've been an exellent fit.

Ideally we also should've brought in a late first round pick to allow us to trade 2018 first rounder next year giving us 2 first rounders next year to go after star players. I cant believe after giving up so many key position players we didn't manage to get either Marchbank or a first round pick. Really a massive failure in the off-season. Do you agree Knightmare?

Carlton did do very well in that deal for Marchbank (and Pickett). Got both very cheaply given their talent.

Collingwood as I understand it were interested, but it seemed Marchbank was committed to joining Carlton.

Hey Knightmare

Any chance our recruiters can find an Aliir Aliir type at pick 44 like the Swans did in 2013?

There is value and depth in this draft. We probably target a key defender at some point in the draft.

Esava Ratugolea is a raw type who could be had late and may be an interesting to be it forward or back. Worst kick you'll ever see, but strong, athletic, powerful at ground level and plays with a real intensity and heart - going after every ball he can will his body towards.

Interesting you rate it that way. I watched him closely at the VFL game in Ballarat and after about his 5th possession I just new what his move was going to be. That's OK sitting on the sidelines but it's quite another to predict it in a game. When he came back to AFL, I noticed that he didn't get away with that deft predictable sidestep he takes. Could it be that after a year or two clubs have worked him out?

Williams' movement in reviewing some of his late season games wasn't quite the same this year. It seems like he was carrying something - not having the work rate or acceleration/sidestep he previously had.

I can't imagine it isn't something he can't get back.

Ben Johnson despite always using his left side even in his 30s clubs still didn't realise he was wheeling around onto his left, so I'm not seeing clubs solving Williams.

His game is predicated on superiority of ground ball winning, even more so than his running. And if you can win the footy. There is a future for you.

With the risk of looking too far ahead the 2017 FA list is quite delicious.

I can see us really using that to our advantage. Elite mids but also some excellent KP defenders which may make the Dunn move make a lot more sense. I would be going after Jackson Trengove from Port. Port does have salary cap issues and I like the way he plays - takes no prisoners.

It's a good group until players sign on anyway.

Tom Rockliff, Dustin Martin, David Zaharakis, Eric Mackenzie and Sam Reid would be among those I'd look at (that may possibly be available).

Trengove should sign on during the season is the speculation.

Knightmare would you be able to do your top 50/80 power rankings as well as an indicative draft order in the next few days?

Knightmare would you be able to do your top 50/80 power rankings as well as an indicative draft order in the next few days?

My phantom draft will be up either tomorrow or Friday on ESPN - covering the first two rounds of the AFL draft. I would do longer but ESPN don't like pieces too long and capped me to two rounds.

Similarly with my power rankings. I'd love to go 50 deep, but they've capped me to 30.

Perhaps after the draft I might do a little reveal of my top 50 power rankings. Or maybe I just list 31-50 on twitter or something in the leadup to the draft. I'll have a think. I have several unique names inside my top 30 and have further unique names inside my top 50 that are sure to surprise some people.

I listed a few of those unique players I saw as representing value around two days ago in my draft thread on the phantom draft board in response to someones question so that might be a response worth tracking down.

Hey KM,

Do you see Collingwood going for best avialable in this years draft or select a KPD to fill a need?

Also how's the 2017 draft shaping up? I heard it's a key position draft, how does it stack up against the 2014 draft pool? Where even the likes of Peter Wright slid to pick 8 due to the large supply of key position players. Assuming we end up at 8th, which results in a pick around 11, will that be enough to grab a B+/A- key position player with attributes similar to Sam Weideman's level? Or do you think it'd be better to give up picks for someone like Peter Wright who has already been developed for a couple of years?

Cheers

Hey KM,

Do you see Collingwood going for best avialable in this years draft or select a KPD to fill a need?

Also how's the 2017 draft shaping up? I heard it's a key position draft, how does it stack up against the 2014 draft pool? Where even the likes of Peter Wright slid to pick 8 due to the large supply of key position players. Assuming we end up at 8th, which results in a pick around 11, will that be enough to grab a B+/A- key position player with attributes similar to Sam Weideman's level? Or do you think it'd be better to give up picks for someone like Peter Wright who has already been developed for a couple of years?

Cheers

In my phantom draft which was released on ESPN yesterday morning I have Collingwood taking South Australian key defender Brennan Cox.

2017 is not looking as deep but looks much better for rucks and key position players.

Peter Wright would be a terrific get but can't see Gold Coast letting him go. He looks as good as Moore does.

I see Wright as being in a very different conversation to Weideman who for me is more a chance to develop than certainty.

Trading for established key forwards is always a costly exercise so generally drafting is the way to go from a value perspective. But ultimately whatever it takes to bring in quality. That's what you go for if you're confident you have the right talent.

Hey KM, The pies desperately look like they need a ready to go backup Ruckman, which could be a 30+ yo rookie like Minson, or State leaguer like Darcy Cameron WAFL or Marshall VFL (I saw your ESPN article - good read btw) .....which way would you go and why? Cameron and Marshall both look to have alternative position flexibility which I like. Any other good options outside of these that could immediately play if needed? Also how viable do you see Cox as a no1 ruck if Grundy went down for any significant period?

Hey KM, The pies desperately look like they need a ready to go backup Ruckman, which could be a 30+ yo rookie like Minson, or State leaguer like Darcy Cameron WAFL or Marshall VFL (I saw your ESPN article - good read btw) .....which way would you go and why? Cameron and Marshall both look to have alternative position flexibility which I like. Any other good options outside of these that could immediately play if needed? Also how viable do you see Cox as a no1 ruck if Grundy went down for any significant period?

If we LOVE this draft and see likely best 22 players everywhere through the draft then I'd be half tempted just to ride it out with what we have and go after those future potential best 22 players. Grundy as lead ruck with Cox relieving. If Grundy misses, Cox can come in and play the number one role with Moore relieving (and Cox can for mine hold his own as the lead ruckman with his tap work arguably better than Grundy's - albeit without the same impact/production around the ground). If Grundy and Cox then White can carry the load with Moore relieving.

With a healthy injury run this can be a top 8 side, but we're not contending for a premiership for the urgency to get another depth ruckman to be so high.

As with key position players, I view rucks as needing to be quality or not worth wasting time with. If not sufficiently good I'd almost play small ball without the traditional key position player/ruck. Particularly when talking about a team not contending.

If the club make the decision "we're getting a ruckman."

I'm thinking along similar lines and have similar ideas in terms of names.

Rowan Marshall if there as a rookie would be the better choice. If Marshall goes in the national draft Darcy Cameron is the next best option for depth.

If we don't see the immediate urgency, Sean Darcy and Jordan Sweet if there as rookies I'd consider strongly as big boys with some scope to develop.

If we LOVE this draft and see likely best 22 players everywhere through the draft then I'd be half tempted just to ride it out with what we have and go after those future potential best 22 players. Grundy as lead ruck with Cox relieving. If Grundy misses, Cox can come in and play the number one role with Moore relieving (and Cox can for mine hold his own as the lead ruckman with his tap work arguably better than Grundy's - albeit without the same impact/production around the ground). If Grundy and Cox then White can carry the load with Moore relieving.

With a healthy injury run this can be a top 8 side, but we're not contending for a premiership for the urgency to get another depth ruckman to be so high.

As with key position players, I view rucks as needing to be quality or not worth wasting time with. If not sufficiently good I'd almost play small ball without the traditional key position player/ruck. Particularly when talking about a team not contending.

If the club make the decision "we're getting a ruckman."

I'm thinking along similar lines and have similar ideas in terms of names.

Rowan Marshall if there as a rookie would be the better choice. If Marshall goes in the national draft Darcy Cameron is the next best option for depth.

If we don't see the immediate urgency, Sean Darcy and Jordan Sweet if there as rookies I'd consider strongly as big boys with some scope to develop.
Hey KM,

Who are the best key position defender/forwards in this draft in order? For the ones that are likely to be available at 28, where would you rank them in terms of talent, and when would they be drafted normally?

Hey KM,

Who are the best key position defender/forwards in this draft in order? For the ones that are likely to be available at 28, where would you rank them in terms of talent, and when would they be drafted normally?

Top 10 - Griffin Logue (KPD)
Top 20 - Todd Marshall (KPF)
Top 20-40 - Josh Battle + Patrick Kerr (KPF), Brennan Cox (KPD). Harrison Macreadie (KPD) and Zachary Sproule (KPP) from GWS Academy also should feature in this range but should have bids matched.
*They're all probably getting picked around where they would any other year. It's an above average year but with the relative scarcity of good talls this year, they're sort of being pushed back into the position you'd expect them to be.

Overall this year, it's not an inspiring group overall.

I'm not convinced any of them are long term answers by position, as more chances rather than certainties to develop.

Given the clubs list changes, hopefully they are more confident and comfortable with this years group of key position players, because I'm only liking next years talls.

Top 10 - Griffin Logue (KPD)
Top 20 - Todd Marshall (KPF)
Top 20-40 - Josh Battle + Patrick Kerr (KPF), Brennan Cox (KPD). Harrison Macreadie (KPD) and Zachary Sproule (KPP) from GWS Academy also should feature in this range but should have bids matched.
*They're all probably getting picked around where they would any other year. It's an above average year but with the relative scarcity of good talls this year, they're sort of being pushed back into the position you'd expect them to be.

Overall this year, it's not an inspiring group overall.

I'm not convinced any of them are long term answers by position, as more chances rather than certainties to develop.

Given the clubs list changes, hopefully they are more confident and comfortable with this years group of key position players, because I'm only liking next years talls.
Great answer just what I was looking for.

I recall you saying for KPF unless they're extremely talented and look likely to make it you probably shouldn't bother at all. Does this apply for KPD too?

If noone from that list you're keen in, are you advising we take whichever midfield is best available? In that case, are you recommending someone like Clarke or Jonty Scharenberg in that range?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall you saying for KPF unless they're extremely talented and look likely to make it you probably shouldn't bother at all. Does this apply for KPD too?

If noone from that list you're keen in, are you advising we take whichever midfield is best available? In that case, are you recommending someone like Clarke or Jonty Scharenberg in that range?
As a general rule decent key defenders can be found later in the draft than key forwards. As it stands I'd hope we grab a key defender this year and invest in a key forward in next years first round.

With key forwards certainly they come early draft for the vast, vast majority.

There have been several highly successful father sons also (though they were highly rated in Hawkins and Cloke, Jarrad Waite I imagine was highly regarded as a junior though that was before my junior watching time) and some prelisted players who basically while they didn't come directly through the draft were also seen as first round talents.

There are always exceptions. But there aren't enough really good key forwards outside the first round historically to be confident to take someone late unless we're confident they're a first round quality key forward just going at some other stage in the draft.
Reece McKenzie a couple of years ago could have been one of these exceptions on talent, where he had arguably best in draft level talent, but just obviously had his issues which has seen him since retire after significant time away from Richmond FC.

If I had to back in someone this year outside of Marshall in the first round who if things go right can develop, I'd go with Brett Eddy as a mature age rookie. For me, he plays in the SANFL to an AFL standard quality.

With key defenders the variance is far greater. It's not a position as reliant compared to key forwards on supremacy of talent and there have been relatively more key defenders taken late/rookie who have been successes for it to be viewed as a more reasonable avenue to recruit key defenders. Jeremy McGovern was picked as a rookie, Harry Taylor was not taken out of the u18s and while he went top 20 he had to do it via the state leagues first, Brian Lake is a late draft success story, Adelaide did very well with Bock and Rutten in the early 00s. So there are enough exceptions. It's relatively becoming more of a talent position rather than a role playing position with the nature of the position changing with more intercept marking and offensive capabilities required, but even then you're still in with a shot outside the first round certainly to find a good key defender if you find someone who can take a grab and offer some kind of offense.

Clarke and Scharenberg for me don't make sense for Collingwood. Both are good inside mids (we have too many already) and neither particularly stand out from what we already have. Both are more good than exceptional talents. If you needed a mid in our range I'd say yes, but they're not different enough to what we already have to be worthwhile in our position.

Ben Ronke (for his explosive pace and scoreboard impact when placed on a forward flank), Brodie Romensky (for his evasiveness and ability to play back) are two examples of mids I'd consider, though they're more late/rookie choices who I view as representing strong value.

As a general rule decent key defenders can be found later in the draft than key forwards. As it stands I'd hope we grab a key defender this year and invest in a key forward in next years first round.

I feel your view is a wise one. We need a first round pick (or a better pick than what we have) to find the second key forward to pair with Moore.

This year it's going to take correct talent ID to find a suitable key defender. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Mitch Brown as a delisted free agent, just to take the urgency off the situation and have a healthier selection of key defence stocks. But likely we'll take someone young as we do lack that next generation key defender to pair with Grundy and Moore as our star ruck and key forwards respectively. I'm not seeing that guy this year, but that doesn't mean Collingwood haven't found someone or rate someone I may not.

I know it's next year KM and I have read you have quite a few KPP in your top 10. Obviously it's a long way away and a lot can change but who impresses you the most? Have been watching back on the champs and Hayes to me just screams someone we need. Also, if Fogarty grows to that 195cm mark who do you like better of the two? Cheers mate.

I know it's next year KM and I have read you have quite a few KPP in your top 10. Obviously it's a long way away and a lot can change but who impresses you the most? Have been watching back on the champs and Hayes to me just screams someone we need. Also, if Fogarty grows to that 195cm mark who do you like better of the two? Cheers mate.
Where have you read this? I've been looking for a 2017 ranking or something similar.

Sam Hayes, Callum Coleman-Jones and Connor Ballenden from the Brisbane Academy are the top three right now on my draft board. All key forwards/ruckmen of genuine ruck height.

Fogarty could be good if he continues growing. Isaac Morrisby is another if he grows a few more cm ad continues improving could be big time. De Koning if he can improve his hands overhead and gets stronger could be good.

That's just the key forwards.

Luke Strnadica (key forward) and Jeremy Goddard (ruckman) were looking like top 10 picks this time last year and both may be overlooked. So things change. But early days, next year seems to have some good talls.

Hey Knightmare. I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, and I'm not suggesting we take this route - just wanted to get your thoughts on an alternative approach (see below)

Might make more sense first if I explain my thinking though, essentially was trying to think what would be our competitive advantage. As in if we were exceptional at identifying talent, draft picks are worth relatively more valuable to us than another team; so if we are paying the same premium for draft picks as a competitor - but we are better at identifying talent - that's an exploitable advantage.

With that in mind, the one thing we seem to be stacked in is inside midfields. If I'm an inside midfielder that gets drafted to us - from a purely development perspective - I feel comfortable I'm in the environment to get a lot out of me. Yes it might be hard to play at afl level, but there's much competition that pushes me further and there's many players I can get guidance from.

Contrast a key back for instance. Maybe i have less competition for spots, but do I have the same veterans to coach me - not to the same extent; and do I have that same fight for a spot in the team so that am I spurred in the same way - not so much.

This is a bit rudimentary but the basic thinking is trading the (for arguments sake) 30th player picked in 2015 for the 30th pick in 2017 is a neutral outcome; trading that same player for a significantly later pick or delist is a bad outcome; trading that player for a much earlier pick is a good outcome. Maybe it might not be a great measure for the trade itself, but as a measure of that initial pick anyway it seems a reasonable comparison as to whether there was improvement (understand not all draft years are equal though).

So, my thinking is that it might be to our benefit to - in certain instances - continue to draft mids and back ourselves in turn this into a situation where we receive more than we paid for them. Yes it's surplus but this could then be traded to move up the draft or get access to a player (suite of players) we wouldn't have had the currency to otherwise. It does take a while for the payoff though

Not suggesting this should be our new approach, just wanted throw up some different thinking. What do you think, and is there other advantages that we (Collingwood) could exploit?

Hey Knightmare. I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, and I'm not suggesting we take this route - just wanted to get your thoughts on an alternative approach (see below)

Might make more sense first if I explain my thinking though, essentially was trying to think what would be our competitive advantage. As in if we were exceptional at identifying talent, draft picks are worth relatively more valuable to us than another team; so if we are paying the same premium for draft picks as a competitor - but we are better at identifying talent - that's an exploitable advantage.

With that in mind, the one thing we seem to be stacked in is inside midfields. If I'm an inside midfielder that gets drafted to us - from a purely development perspective - I feel comfortable I'm in the environment to get a lot out of me. Yes it might be hard to play at afl level, but there's much competition that pushes me further and there's many players I can get guidance from.

Contrast a key back for instance. Maybe i have less competition for spots, but do I have the same veterans to coach me - not to the same extent; and do I have that same fight for a spot in the team so that am I spurred in the same way - not so much.

This is a bit rudimentary but the basic thinking is trading the (for arguments sake) 30th player picked in 2015 for the 30th pick in 2017 is a neutral outcome; trading that same player for a significantly later pick or delist is a bad outcome; trading that player for a much earlier pick is a good outcome. Maybe it might not be a great measure for the trade itself, but as a measure of that initial pick anyway it seems a reasonable comparison as to whether there was improvement (understand not all draft years are equal though).

So, my thinking is that it might be to our benefit to - in certain instances - continue to draft mids and back ourselves in turn this into a situation where we receive more than we paid for them. Yes it's surplus but this could then be traded to move up the draft or get access to a player (suite of players) we wouldn't have had the currency to otherwise. It does take a while for the payoff though

Not suggesting this should be our new approach, just wanted throw up some different thinking. What do you think, and is there other advantages that we (Collingwood) could exploit?

I enjoy when people give their thought and come up with theories.

It doesn't always need to be right, but it's always worth analysing and I'm always happy to give my take. Sometimes it can generate other ideas that may be beneficial or any number of things can happen as a result of analysis.

Some teams are better at drafting than other teams (Richmond have been poor historically whereas Collingwood by contrast have been among the better drafting teams in certainly the Derek Hine era).

Some teams also develop certain types better than others eg. Adelaide and West Coast with key position players I have found exceptional in developing those they have, with so many late and rookie draft success stories. Part of it may be identification, but they both develop kpps as well as any.

Onto the other parts where I don't agree with (explained).

When drafting, trading for a player or taking anyone as a free agent. The central idea is adding the talent to the clubs list with a view to improving a clubs best 22. Through the draft this is generally a process of a few years, as they take time to develop more often than not. Trade and free agency you almost always expect year one they do what you expect of them.

The problem with drafting/compiling so many of the same parts is the list becomes unbalanced and fails to become competitive. From a list management perspective the problem that comes as a result of this is players want out (due to lack of opportunities, not playing in their preferred/best positions and not being on a good team), and with players wanting out, and on a poorly performing team (due to the list inbalances) you're going to get robbed at the trading table every time.

Just looking at this trade week, the only time a team I feel won by getting picks rather than the player this trade period is Gold Coast in the Hawthorn trade for O'Meara (on the basis that O'Meara I expect struggles to reach the height he was early days expected to due to his degenerative knees) - which as we have seen with Adam Cooney is a career killer.

So given this, it's not a practice I recommend - compiling too many of the same.

My theory is overall through trade period and free agency go after players who fill specific list needs and project as clear best 22 players (ideally best 15 on list quality or better). Then through the draft take the best player available with a view towards balancing value maximisation and finding players who project to become best 22 players *which will often lean towards player who fill list needs (which is discretionary based on what you see available).

Williams' movement in reviewing some of his late season games wasn't quite the same this year. It seems like he was carrying something - not having the work rate or acceleration/sidestep he previously had.
Broken ticker. Never seen a bloke look more disinterested

From the official bigfooty phantom draft:

My selection as the Collingwood recruiter was...

30 Collingwood - Willem Drew

*Can't wipe the dopey smile off my face getting my guy here. :)

Drew could be the best midfielders in this draft class with his competitiveness and aggression on another level - think Jack Viney, but there is 188cm of him.

There was no other consideration at this choice. Drew was my clear best available and someone I rate top 10 power rankings.

His impact this year in the TAC Cup through the midfield also in my view was without equal, surpassing that of teammate Hugh McCluggage and everyone else.

From a Collingwood perspective while the club have more inside midfielders than they need, with Swan, Ball, D.Thomas and Beams all gone in as many years and with Pendlebury drawing towards 30, the next generation star midfielders need to come in.

In combination with Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and De Goey, Drew can add to that midfield group and make it powerful again and turn the clubs clearance and centre clearance differential around and turn it from weakness into strength.

*From my October power rankings not to waste any time:
Willem Drew (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 188cm, 78kg
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Plays like: Jack Ziebell
Projected draft range: second to third round
Rated last month: 10
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Arguably matched if not exceed the impact of teammate McCluggage through the TAC Cup finals. Has had an outstanding season through the midfield with his contested-ball winning, aggression at the ball and tackling are as good as any in this draft.
Strengths:
- Stoppage specialist
- Wins first possession at stoppages
- Contested-ball winning
- Aggressive tackler
- Clean below knees
- Courage to win 50/50 ball without fear of getting hurt
- Strength
- Capable mark overhead
- Scoreboard impact
- Acceleration
- Versatility to play forward or back as required
- Reads flight well and takes intercept marks
- Late season has started to run to better spots on the outside to become a more frequent and useful link player
- Strength of TAC Cup performances
Weaknesses:
- Limited opportunities through midfield during the under-18 championships and end-of-season Under-18 All Stars match leaves him slightly unproven against best competition in the country
- Limited outside hurt factor as an infrequent linebreaker with an only average kick
- Endurance
- From stoppages he rushes kicks, too often bombing long to a general area near one of his teammates rather than taking time to find an open target by foot

many will not be happy with that pick, mainly because they think we need tall's not
mid fielder's.
but he does sound pretty good.
Honestly I think an inside midfielder/clearance specialist is indeed a need for us. We really need someone who can jump into contests to allow Treloar/Sidebottom/Pendlebury to exploit their attacking playstyles. All of them are at least decent in terms of clearances especially Treloar but none of them are exceptional.

Logic suggests you should pick KPP in a strong key position player year with a large supply driving down the prices (draft pick). Next year apparently is exceptional in that aspect.

Personally I'd draft best available with pick 28, if it's an inside midfielder like Jonty Scharenberg, Dylan Clarke then so be it. I think we can go for a highly speculative key defender like Cox will still be available at a later, but we really shoudn't draft a mediocre pllayer just because we are in deficiency in this area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back