List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they still have a larger list than other clubs, or has it already evened out?
Copied from GWS forum...

List size restrictions for coming years:

2014 - 44-50 senior list,nine rookies with $640,000 -$1m TPP extra allowance;
2015 - 44-48 senior list, nine rookies with $640k - $880k TPP extra allowance;
2016 - 42-46 senior list, nine rookies with $520k - $760k TPP extra allowance;
2017 - 40-44 senior list, nine rookies with $400k - $640k TPP extra allowance;
2018 - 38-42 senior list, nine rookies with $200k - $520k TPP extra allowance;
2019 - 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

This year they had 42 on senior list and 2 rookies, so no pressure on them to trade players out for list size reasons...

Brett Anderson saying there is a bit of a whisper around Pies are interested in James Stewart.
He is going to follow up to see if there is anything to it
I don't understand how, based upon what he's shown at senior level, Hine's assessment could have changed so drastically from his draft year.

I don't understand how, based upon what he's shown at senior level, Hine's assessment could have changed so drastically from his draft year.

With Trav leaving the situation has changed.

Back up for Jessie's role?
I've seen very little of him, but maybe he has scope to be a half-decent third banana now with further improvement over time?.

We're going to have at least five departues you'd think (Swan, Toovey, MacAffer, Witts and Cloke).

We're 99% on Wells coming in, hopefully both Daicos and Brown too.

So we can count on at least five departures, if there's even one or two more (delistings), we'd need another three or four additions besides Wells, Daicos and Brown to even the list out.

We can upgrade Smith and Cox to the senior list, that would account for two of those, so we'd expect two other selections at the draft, otherwise we'd be delisting at least three or trading out at least one more if we're looking at any other free agents or trade targets to come in?

We're going to have at least five departues you'd think (Swan, Toovey, MacAffer, Witts and Cloke).

We're 99% on Wells coming in, hopefully both Daicos and Brown too.

So we can count on at least five departures, if there's even one or two more (delistings), we'd need another three or four additions besides Wells, Daicos and Brown to even the list out.

We can upgrade Smith and Cox to the senior list, that would account for two of those, so we'd expect two other selections at the draft, otherwise we'd be delisting at least three or trading out at least one more if we're looking at any other free agents or trade targets to come in?

At the moment, it's looking like a pretty boring draft night for us. There is every chance we go in with just the picks of Daicos and Brown to make.

If we take Wells and WHE, and look to promote Cox and Smith, there really isn't much more room.

I'm assuming maybe Goodyear gets delisted, and maybe someone like Brown or Frost change clubs which should mean around 5-7 list changes.

It might also be a case where we simply have to keep Smith on the rookie list. He has another year.

Yeah I'm all for getting Wells now. Hopefully it prevents us from getting Dal santo, it gets Greenwood out of the midfield, allows Steele to spend more time up forward and the bloke is all class, hopefully we get him.

I reckon with gubby Allen this year there might be a few out the door? Who I don't know, I can't see him getting the job and not causing some strong hand changes to the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more time that goes by and the more I think about it, the less likely we are of getting Wells. I mean they just got rid of the other guys on arguably their biggest coin.

Probably freed up a lot of space.

Surely they could afford to pay Wells a million a year if they wanted to?

The more time that goes by and the more I think about it, the less likely we are of getting Wells. I mean they just got rid of the other guys on arguably their biggest coin.

Maybe money isn't the factor for wells? He's 31? His club just turfed out 3 of his closest playing mates and is quite open about a little rebuild. Brayshaw just said they've paid him well the last 5-7 years. Maybe he sees us as a small chance at another premiership? He's unrestricted so north Melbourne's money won't matter if that isn't his motivation.

Don't get me wrong, he'd be crazy to come chasing a Flag cause I don't think we can within two years, but we're alot closer than north Melbourne are and he's had 13 years in the afl to make a fortune already.

It sounds like Wells is leaving for non financial reasons (last one out please turn off the lights)

And if they in a rebuild they are hardly going to throw a mil per annum at a player near the end of his career who doesnt want to be there anyway. Good luck to them if they do. The loss to them keeping him would far exceed the loss to us not getting him.

Last edited:
Maybe money isn't the factor for wells? He's 31? His club just turfed out 3 of his closest playing mates and is quite open about a little rebuild. Brayshaw just said they've paid him well the last 5-7 years. Maybe he sees us as a small chance at another premiership? He's unrestricted so north Melbourne's money won't matter if that isn't his motivation.

Don't get me wrong, he'd be crazy to come chasing a Flag cause I don't think we can within two years, but we're alot closer than north Melbourne are and he's had 13 years in the afl to make a fortune already.

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm thinking if he comes it's definitely not money related.

But it does make me wonder what North will do if they have a million or two up their sleeves...

Maybe he's annoyed at the way the club treated the other 4 and given he is getting towards the end of his career is worried about how the club might treat him? Probably just wants security more than anything. That's if he does end up leaving though

At the moment, it's looking like a pretty boring draft night for us. There is every chance we go in with just the picks of Daicos and Brown to make.

If we take Wells and WHE, and look to promote Cox and Smith, there really isn't much more room.

I'm assuming maybe Goodyear gets delisted, and maybe someone like Brown or Frost change clubs which should mean around 5-7 list changes.

It might also be a case where we simply have to keep Smith on the rookie list. He has another year.

If we get a single live pick in the top 20-25 (plus Brown Daicos and maybe a late pick) that may be enough. Youth is not something we lack.

There should be 2-3 openings for new draftees in the rookie list as well.

It sounds like Wells is leaving for non financial reasons (last one out please turn off the lights)

And if they in a rebuild they are hardly going to throw a mil per annum at a player near the end of his career who doesnt want to be there anyway. Good luck to them if they do. The loss to them keeping him would far exceed the loss to him not getting him.

Good Chance Wells is leaving for Longer Contract and Better Chance of Playing in the Senior Side

I must admit I'm nowhere near as down on our KPF stocks as others on here if we can find the right player(s) in this draft.

I think the game is moving away from KPF twin towers and more towards guys that just kick goals regardless of type. I'm working on some analysis ATM to present on here, but overall I'm not convinced we're in need of a specific type of forward.

A core forward line consisting of Moore, White, Elliott, Fasolo and Broomhead/ Sidebottom works for me as of next year with others rotating through. More work on chemistry and ball use will allow that forward half to work, IMO. Build on that with another couple of forward options to compliment Crocker at VFL level and I think we're ok.
The experts are still talking 'the spine' and IMO it is losing relevance. The bookends seem to still be pretty important and whatever happens in between is not reliant on the old school CHF and CHB. I'd say that those positions no longer exist.

They could, but I'm pretty sure they are only offering him a 1 year deal. I'm actually quite confident after what Brayshaw said the other day.

I think people are forgetting about blair, brown and williams, we are talking about wells not signing yet as a possible sign he's gone brown and blair havent either i reckon they are gone, theres your trade spots

I think people are forgetting about blair, brown and williams, we are talking about wells not signing yet as a possible sign he's gone brown and blair havent either i reckon they are gone, theres your trade spots

Have we seen any talk at all about Blair apart from here? Williams likely to stay by all accounts i have read but time will tell.

Brown the most likely of the three to leave but I reckon hes an idiot if North is his objective.

Might lose one of those is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back