List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to decide whether we are rebuilding or trying desperately to save Buckley's coaching career in 2017 by panic buying a grab bag of ultimately pointless second rate short term options.

Grundy, Maynard, Scharenberg, Aish, Treloar, Ramsay, Wills, Phillips, Crocker, De Goey etc - pretty sure that's a rebuild. The situation with North is so incomparable it's not funny.

We have rebuilt our team over the last few years with youth and need to stick to that plan. We're not going to win a premiership in the next couple of years so why bring in players with 1 to 2 years left? Maybe at the end of 2018 if we're looking good we could fill a couple of holes with quality experience (aka Jolly and Ball) but for now, continue to build. Edit - If Witts leaves we do need to recruit a back-up ruckman in case Grundy gets injured.

It seems unlikely that we would be offering a player (say Mayne) and inflated contract in terms of length and money just to trigger a higher level of compo, which would then result in the other club doing us some favour during trade week. Seems very close to tampering with the draft and risky too if the other club just decides to back out... you can't then say 'but we had a deal'.

To those whinging about why we picking up all these old guys instead of young talent. You are being stupid.

1. They are coming for free. Henderson, Wells, Dal Santo, Mayne etc. are all free agents meaning WE DON'T HAVE TO TRADE FOR THEM.

2. You can't just lose all of your experienced players and replace them with kids. Yeah I see the argument of older guys taking places of young players in the 22 but guess what experienced players teach and guide young players and young players will work harder to force their way in not just being gifted games.

3. What quality younger players are actually on the market? JOMS knees are farked, and we are heavily interested in WHE and Marchbank. What more do you want?

We do need to use a first rounder this years draft so we can trade our first next year for another gun most likely a tall fwd. But my dream draft wpuld be Logue, one of Marshall/Kerr/Battle, Daicos and Brown.

We could also be getting Close or Freeman pff of Brisbane for Frost so theres more tall depth.

We have rebuilt our team over the last few years with youth and need to stick to that plan. We're not going to win a premiership in the next couple of years so why bring in players with 1 to 2 years left? Maybe at the end of 2018 if we're looking good we could fill a couple of holes with quality experience (aka Jolly and Ball) but for now, continue to build. Edit - If Witts leaves we do need to recruit a back-up ruckman in case Grundy gets injured.

We had a depleted team all year. Yet, when on song, we beat Geelong, GWS, WC, should have beaten WB x2 , HAW, NM.
The fact that two teams outside the eight from 2015 made it to the prelim this year speaks volumes of the evenness of the comp.
I can see Melb, StK, and Collingwood really pushing up the ladder next year, with WC, NM, Hawks, falling. Geelong might fall a bit too, have a number of old players.

Also we don't have anyone over 30, bringing Wells in as a FA is a no brainer for me. What we lack is quality ball use coming out of the backline. Wellls could be played off half back, it's a role that isn't hard on the body, and he his skills this year, his ball use, was IMV probably the best in the AFL, he was absolute silk. There's a reason why NM fans are a bit shattered to see him leave.

Last edited:
Free agents are free hits and generally not long term, dont see any issues with what we are trying to do, Mayne & Wells will do and if we land WHE and or Marchbank then I look forward to 2017!

Sorry had to edit 2107 to 2017, frizzle & Matt were too confused...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agents are free hits and generally not long term, dont see any issues with what we are trying to do, Mayne & Wells will do and if we land WHE and or Marchbank then I look forward to 2107!

You obviously have a lot longer to live then me buddy. ;)

If Wells could replicate his 2016 next year with us, it would improve us enormously. Who gets tagged? Wells, Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom? Can't tag them all. He will cop it every week at North. Having said that, I imagine he will come to terms at NM. Again, probably just Collingwood being used to leverage a better deal. And with the PR disaster of Harvey etc being let go, I doubt NM will allow Wells to waltz out the door to a rival for free.
Liam Pickering is his manager, so you can see why there is a bit of linking to other clubs and dodgy stuff happening. God I despise that man.

IN: Wells, Henderson, Mayne, Maric, Marchbank, WHE, Stewart, Daicos, Brown
OUT: Swan (ret), Toovey (ret), Macaffer (ret), Witts (trade), Frost (trade), Goodyear (re-rookie), Cloke (trade), Gault (delist), Oxley (trade)

A guy can dream :D

Last edited:
expect them to busy in off season and bring in some mids. they will be better side next year cutting the old blokes. but they need to hang onto wells.
We've been linked to omearea, tuohy and swallow. But now, Andrew swallow is apparently linked to gc. Take the trade rumours with a grain of salt.

Satisfied with his answer I proceeded to climb the pole in front of him so that my feet were at about the same height as his head, I then accidentally dangled them in his face, at this point I realised I had no shoes on and I apologised profusely. I was so embarrassed and keen to move the conversation on so I asked him if he knew a player and that I got on the piss with him last off season.

Hagla, is there some symbolism in the pole, your feet and your lack of shoes?

From all reports Maric is a fantastic club person and has a pretty sound footy brain. As a back up ruck and potential ruck coach for Grundy I think he would be a pretty good get for nothing.

Wells has class and speed that is unmatched on our list, if our Medicos (shudder) think we can get two years from him, I say let's go for it.

Bringing in some experience is a no brainer when it's not costing us any draft picks.

Mayne - I think he will suit Buck's game style, hard working and excellent pressure acts. He would probably play the role I would have expected Howe to play this year, which suggests that perhaps Howe will continue to play down back.

Maric - I don't believe Maric is a genuine chance for the No.1 Ruckman with Grundy playing so well. But I do think the fact we are considering him suggests that we will be looking to trade Witts, which is fair enough, he has value and is a surplus to our needs so long as Grundy remains fit. Trading Witts will allow us to hopefully get a late round 1 to early round 2 draft selection.

Wells - Well he is just class, would easily slot into our midfield, he is the type of player we are crying out for! Having talent around the club will only help a young kids development.

Dal Santo - Probably the most interesting for mine, in terms of where we play him and does he fill a spot we need? His speed isn't great but his kicking and ability to find the pill is still excellent, as seen by his game on the weekend.

Henderson - Haven't heard anything of our interest in Henderson, I know we were keen a few years ago. Not sure on this one, as he would probably be fighting for Goldsack/Langdons spot.

Marchbank - A key position back is an area we are in need of. If we were to land him it would most likely suggest we are prepared to let Brown go. Although it sounds unlikely at this stage.

We are certainly linked to quite a few, Interesting to see who we are prepared to move on, there's obviously not enough room for them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back