List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
With no Cousins, Judd or Kerr (all out injured), we'd have gotten absolutely pantsed if we'd somehow made it through
Geelong '07 had an all-time season. They had 9 players in the final 22 of the AA team that year (a bit over the top tho!)
I doubt we would have won the prelim anyway against Collingwood with those outs.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

With no Cousins, Judd or Kerr (all out injured), we'd have gotten absolutely pantsed if we'd somehow made it through
Geelong '07 had an all-time season. They had 9 players in the final 22 of the AA team that year (a bit over the top tho!)
Cousins wouldn’t have pulled a hammy playing a home qf at Subi. Trust me, I know my alternate history.

Seeing the amount of passengers in that crows game only for jack williams to be the only player seemingly ommitted based on form and a young player who racked up 40 posessions in the wafl get overlooked in favour of players the game has clearly gone past is disappointing to say the least.
Who got 40?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did anyone watch the first game of the Championships? There was stuff all chat about it on here.

Here was my thoughts;

Allies:
8. Leo Lombard - Firmly in the top 5 now, he's got everything you want as midfielder. Quick and powerful, with good skills. He was best on for mine, was breaking tackles and bursting away from stoppages with ease. Bloody another GC academy product they can guarantee. He's a gun.
16. Sam Marshall - for the first 3/4's showed a bit and looked good, but his last quarter without knowing exactly I reckon he had 15 disposals, was everywhere up and down the wing. Lions academy, and they've got another beauty as a winger who runs all day and has great skills.
2. Zeke Uwland - GC academy and solid smaller back pocket/half back type who is a good runner and good by foot.
32. Jobe Shanahan - first non academy player, 194cm forward who I've been seriously impressed with coming into the champs. But was a tad quieter this game, but still had some nice moments.
34. Nathaniel Sulzberger - mid/half forward type from Tassie that showed a bit and someone to keep an eye on throughout the champs. Plays for Sandy, despite being from Tassie.
37. Josh Murphy - 190cm forward who is very good overhead and on the lead, looks a very handy footballer and had a quite a good game.
12. Taj Stanley - from the NT and was very good lead up forward or went into the midfield and won his fair share of clearances. One to definitely keep an eye out for.

SA.
2&3. Ben and Lucas Camporeale twins, both Carlton F/S. They know how to rack it up, and quite often they link up together in the same chain. Their movement around stoppages is elite and both strong runners, but their kicking action and final product isn't great. I'm really not sure how it will stack up at AFL level, it's a split second slow that may be the difference between getting caught or getting the kick away or the lead the player they are kicking too being closed down by the defender. It's not Ainsworth bad, but very noticeable.
5. Evan Bradley - I'm going the early crow on this kid, I'm a big fan. He's a small forward with some fantastic traits, kicked 4.2 for the day and was streaming away from contests at times. Good on the lead, crumbing, tackling inside 50. If he keeps this form up I think he'll be end of first rounder.
7. Draper - wasn't a best on ground performance but everything he did was very very good and he reminds me so much of Connor Rozee, and I'm a huge Rozee fan. I think Draper is my pick if we keep pick 3.
8. Kade Herbert, very solid game off a wing and showed a fair bit. Good overhead, long kicking and showed a good contested game in this game.
11. Phoenix Hargrave, very similar to Herbert in looks and game style. Had a good game, linking up and in the contest throughout.
24. Dyson Sharp, underager but very very good midfielder and was SA's best player. Breaking tackles, good overhead, by foot and hands in traffic. A mid that always finds space and time.
22. Jett Hasting - half back with a beautiful kick on him especially when dashing out of defence. One I want to watch as an option with a later pick as a half back option for us.
42. Welsh - Crows F/S was ok, bit faster than I thought but didn't have a huge impact on the game.

Last edited:
I really rate this kid highly, he's come from a long way back and outside traditional pathways but the talent has always been there. I saw him play once last year and thought he's someone to keep an eye on.

He's been in a semi professional environment for 6 months or less and has come on in leaps and bounds. I don't think we'll start to see the best of him until he's had 2 preseasons but I think he'll play games before then. Has a great attitude, is a little quietly spoken and committed to his trade before footy.

I stand by my comment in the player thread that he was the most talented player picked up in the MSD. The club is obviously looking to do something about the HB to HF situation where we struggle on the outside, he is just another step in the right direction.

Agree on all points WCE_phil

I think he will surprise a lot of people. IMO easily the player with the most potential out of all taken - and let's be honest, isn't that what the MSD is about for teams in WC's position?

He might not be available to draft for another year, but Sharp has no problems matching it with the older kids on the biggest junior stage of all. Sharp split his time between half back and on ball. When played through the middle he was relentless at stoppage winning clearances driving the ball forward. He laid a number of strong tackles, some of which forced turnovers. His football IQ and work rate allows him to move to where he needs to be a step ahead of the play and his opponent.

Trew if you round up (39)...
Honestly I don't think he'll be around next season but I'd really like to see him given a few games in the guts at afl level to prove me wrong
And I REALLY don't want to see gaff at afl level other than a goodbye match

Did anyone watch the first game of the Championships? There was stuff all chat about it on here.

Here was my thoughts;

Allies:
8. Leo Lombard - Firmly in the top 5 now, he's got everything you want as midfielder. Quick and powerful, with good skills. He was best on for mine, was breaking tackles and bursting away from stoppages with ease. Bloody another GC academy product they can guarantee. He's a gun.
16. Sam Marshall - for the first 3/4's showed a bit and looked good, but his last quarter without knowing exactly I reckon he had 15 disposals, was everywhere up and down the wing. Lions academy, and they've got another beauty as a winger who runs all day and has great skills.
2. Zeke Uwland - GC academy and solid smaller back pocket/half back type who is a good runner and good by foot.
32. Jobe Shanahan - first non academy player, 194cm forward who I've been seriously impressed with coming into the champs. But was a tad quieter this game, but still had some nice moments.
34. Nathaniel Sulzberger - mid/half forward type from Tassie that showed a bit and someone to keep an eye on throughout the champs. Plays for Sandy, despite being from Tassie.
37. Josh Murphy - 190cm forward who is very good overhead and on the lead, looks a very handy footballer and had a quite a good game.
12. Taj Stanley - from the NT and was very good lead up forward or went into the midfield and won his fair share of clearances. One to definitely keep an eye out for.

SA.
2&3. Ben and Lucas Camporeale twins, both Carlton F/S. They know how to rack it up, and quite often they link up together in the same chain. Their movement around stoppages is elite and both strong runners, but their kicking action and final product isn't great. I'm really not sure how it will stack up at AFL level, it's a split second slow that may be the difference between getting caught or getting the kick away or the lead the player they are kicking too being closed down by the defender. It's not Ainsworth bad, but very noticeable.
5. Evan Bradley - I'm going the early crow on this kid, I'm a big fan. He's a small forward with some fantastic traits, kicked 4.2 for the day and was streamed away from contests at times. Good on the lead, crumbing, tackling inside 50. If he keeps this form up I think he'll be end of first rounder.
7. Draper - wasn't a best on ground performance but everything he did was very very good and he reminds me so much of Connor Rozee, and I'm a huge Rozee fan. I think Draper is my pick if we keep pick 3.
8. Kade Herbert, very solid game off a wing and showed a fair bit. Good overhead, long kicking and showed a good contested game in this game.
11. Phoenix Hargrave, very similar to Herbert in looks and game style. Had a good game, linking up and in the contest throughout.
24. Dyson Sharp, underager but very very good midfielder and was SA's best player. Breaking tackles, good overhead, but foot and hands in traffic. A mid that always finds space and time.
22. Jett Hasting - half back with a beautiful kick on him especially when dashing out of defence. One I want to watch as an option with a later pick as a half back option for us.
42. Welsh - Crows F/S was ok, bit faster than I thought but didn't have a huge impact on the game.
I did, actually thought your post was a really good reflection on the game. Have a couple more general points to add about a few players:

Lombard was awesome, I don’t have him in top 5 but top 10 yes. I’ve made no secret of my desire to split pick 3ish and Lombard going between 3 and GCS 1st pick would make a trade more appealing to them. Hope he continues his form throughout the champs.

Shanahan I was expecting more from him against a side without any KPDs expected to be taken early. Thought the better delivery at state level as opposed to CTL level would allow him to shine. In saying that very easy for talls to float out of games at state champs without the structure they are used to so I’ll reserve judgement until the end of the champs.

Sulzberger and Murphy are both very good talents but probably not under consideration for us from a list need point of view but agree with your assessment of both.

Campo twins could get a bid anywhere from pick 15-30 IMO, both have different game styles so may appeal to different clubs but will both find their way to the Blues, almost certainly courtesy of a pick swap with Richmond.

Draper was solid without standing out. Doesn’t have a particularly flashy game but you always know what you’ll get from him and does most things well. Coming off injury his games in the back half of the champs will be a better indication of his draft number.

Sharp is going to be the #1 pick next year IMO, hard as nails and didn’t look out of place at all as an underager. BOG for SA I thought.

Agree on all points WCE_phil

I think he will surprise a lot of people. IMO easily the player with the most potential out of all taken - and let's be honest, isn't that what the MSD is about for teams in WC's position?
Happy to back the club’s assessment of best available talent. I won’t mention it again but was Ben Hopkins ever discussed as a realistic chance to be taken by the club or are we keeping our powder dry for an elite Travaglia type? Duanne Massey’s comments made it sound a bit like we were after a HBF. Looking forward to seeing Jack in the blue and gold.

I did, actually thought your post was a really good reflection on the game. Have a couple more general points to add about a few players:

Lombard was awesome, I don’t have him in top 5 but top 10 yes. I’ve made no secret of my desire to split pick 3ish and Lombard going between 3 and GCS 1st pick would make a trade more appealing to them. Hope he continues his form throughout the champs.

Shanahan I was expecting more from him against a side without any KPDs expected to be taken early. Thought the better delivery at state level as opposed to CTL level would allow him to shine. In saying that very easy for talls to float out of games at state champs without the structure they are used to so I’ll reserve judgement until the end of the champs.

Sulzberger and Murphy are both very good talents but probably not under consideration for us from a list need point of view but agree with your assessment of both.

Campo twins could get a bid anywhere from pick 15-30 IMO, both have different game styles so may appeal to different clubs but will both find their way to the Blues, almost certainly courtesy of a pick swap with Richmond.

Draper was solid without standing out. Doesn’t have a particularly flashy game but you always know what you’ll get from him and does most things well. Coming off injury his games in the back half of the champs will be a better indication of his draft number.

Sharp is going to be the #1 pick next year IMO, hard as nails and didn’t look out of place at all as an underager. BOG for SA I thought.
Lombard is an academy player yeah? That's our avenue to get a few pics inside the first round then. GC pics 8-9-20 swap for our 3-23??. Really need Lombard and another GC academy kid to tear up the u18s carnival

Lombard is an academy player yeah? That's our avenue to get a few pics inside the first round then. GC pics 8-9-20 swap for our 3-23??. Really need Lombard and another GC academy kid to tear up the u18s carnival
Yep but 3, 59 and F2 would suit us and probably GCS better. It’s actually better for us if only one GCS kid tears it up. If they need points to match multiple high bids then they will trade DOWN for points, rather than trade UP to get ahead of the first bid.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I don't think he'll be around next season but I'd really like to see him given a few games in the guts at afl level to prove me wrong
And I REALLY don't want to see gaff at afl level other than a goodbye match

Doesn’t even matter to me if the club don’t see him on the list next year.

The drop off in effort from the Melbourne game to Adelaide was evident. You play him for the guy you can show with the greatest drop off and say effort on game day isn’t a choice.

In the past we’ve said we don’t have the cattle to hold players accountable, now we’re just choosing not to. Trew’s value is what he offers in accountability moreso than opportunity for me.

Here was my thoughts;

5. Evan Bradley - I'm going the early crow on this kid, I'm a big fan. He's a small forward with some fantastic traits, kicked 4.2 for the day and was streaming away from contests at times. Good on the lead, crumbing, tackling inside 50. If he keeps this form up I think he'll be end of first rounder.

Thanks for all that!

Would you be keen on manoeuvring to get a pick in the range to pick up Bradley, if he's a genuine crumber? It's a spot I'm pretty obsessed with filling, with a high quality option too (not just throwing Brockmans current output at the problem).

We have Long who I see as more of a Cripps (smarts, linkup, tick over the goals and goal assists and be a crucial cog in our system) and Ryan who for mine is more of a Fritsch medium/tricky matchup but not a true crumber - I'm keen on that type who makes oppositions shit themselves every time the ball hits the deck in the forward line.

Some of the elite sides in the last decade have made do without an elite KPF, or an elite ruck, but all have had this scary small forward type of player.

• Premiership Collingwood - Hill won the Norm
  • GF Brisbane had Cameron
  • 2022 Geelong had Stengle
  • 2021 Melbourne had Pickett
  • Triple premiers Richmond had Bolton
  • 2018 us had Rioli who wasn't as elite as others on this list but we had LeCras, Cripps and Ryan who all offered that in some degree to kind of make up the aggregate
  • 2017 Adelaide who finished above Richmond had Betts
  • 2016 Sydney (best team that year) had Papley
  • Threepeat Hawthorn had Cyril

Think it's a position I'm really happy to invest a decent pick in - jeez I wish Jarrod Cameron had even 80% of the average AFL level motivation :(. Or we get Malakai Champion into a tent

On Coast to Coast with Hall and Johnston earlier in the week they said it had been revised from 36 to 39.

EDIT: 31.01 minute mark:

Damn, and here’s me looking at the official Wafl stats page like a chump rather than trawling through podcasts for the up to date info.

Here was my thoughts;

Allies:

Woo hoo.

Darwin boy doing alright.

And as mentioned a mad Eagles supporter. A real goer who puts his head over the ball.

Thanks for all that!

Would you be keen on manoeuvring to get a pick in the range to pick up Bradley, if he's a genuine crumber? It's a spot I'm pretty obsessed with filling, with a high quality option too (not just throwing Brockmans current output at the problem).

We have Long who I see as more of a Cripps (smarts, linkup, tick over the goals and goal assists and be a crucial cog in our system) and Ryan who for mine is more of a Fritsch medium/tricky matchup but not a true crumber - I'm keen on that type who makes oppositions shit themselves every time the ball hits the deck in the forward line.

Some of the elite sides in the last decade have made do without an elite KPF, or an elite ruck, but all have had this scary small forward type of player.

• 2018 us had Rioli who wasn't as elite as others on this list but we had LeCras, Cripps and Ryan who all offered that in some degree to kind of make up the aggregate

Think it's a position I'm really happy to invest a decent pick in - jeez I wish Jarrod Cameron had even 80% of the average AFL level motivation :(. Or we get Malakai Champion into a tent

What we need as a bottom 4 club struggling to rebuild is access to our acadamies the same level as Northern teams finishing top 4 and playing in grand finals.

What we need as a bottom 4 club struggling to rebuild is access to our acadamies the same level as Northern teams finishing top 4 and playing in grand finals.

Absolutely agree.

Even if we were as bad this year as the last 2 I wouldn't be in favour of direct priority picks - it just feels like a lame system on principle and messes around the other teams down the bottom.

But the same academy access as the Northern teams granted for the bottom 4 teams (or teams under a certain amount of wins) would be a great system IMO. Good way of equalisation whilst still meaning picks need to get burnt up to land a player especially if they're high up. Would encourage teams to put more constant investment into their academies also, a terrible year could come out of nowhere at any time - this would be good for footy as a whole surely.

I get that the AFL has decided Gold Coast in particular need this leg up - but surely that same reasoning should apply to teams doing poorly.

Thanks for all that!

Agree, Jarrod Cameron could've been something for us. He had some great traits, but too many injuries and he lost motivation.

I really like what I saw in this game, and want to see some more of him before making a final assessment. But he really shone for me in this game, and as a small forward he had exactly what you want for a small forward; speed, craft, skill, strong mark for his size. So at this stage, I'm not all in on him and will keep my final assessment to the end. But he reminded me of the Phoenix Gothard of last year or Jacob Konstanty the year prior - maximum damage in the front half and recruiters were all over it.

Just on Malakai, I think he'll go 30 onwards and is a great chance to get to us. His size will concern a few and make him slide. I think he's more a high half forward that gets up onto the wings to help out and charges back to goal, where it looked like Bradley was more inside 50 small forward. So I think they're different enough to take both if that is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back