List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, does anyone honestly think we should pay out Darling/Sheed over Jamieson? This is the no brainer buyout for sure? Id probably tell the guy already thats what we will do.
Yes, two have 1 year left max. Unless the medical team say something differ t with Jamieson who has shown enough to think he can play at the level or be a depth player at this level during the year.

A fourth strong senior SANFL performance in a row from Sid. He simply has to be considered one of South Adelaide's best players at this stage. The extremely windy conditions turned this into a scrappy affair, and like most out there Sid had trouble directing his kicks in the first half. He got better as the game wore on, and like last week it was his incisive and damaging play in the second half that played an important role in getting the Panthers ahead on the scoreboard, including a fantastic classy goal in the fourth quarter.

sPLiT tHe pIcK…

Can keep his number 3 too, Mainy/Juddy/Gaff/Sid

Last edited:

I never said it was smart or good. I said its the reality we live in. We cant ignore the reality cos it hurts our feelings im afraid
I'm not worried about my feelings or anyone elses.

I'm concerned about mentalities in our club that have led us to this lowest point in our history and if this is one of them in the club it needs to change.

Would you have moved on Shuey for the same reason?
I don’t think he had recurring hamstring injuries when he was a young player.

He had injuries and misfortune but I think they were different kinds of injuries.

No way Burgiel plays in a game like last night with his present level of fitness or unfitness.

I said I am not a doctor so I don’t know what to expect or what might be achievable but I am aware from following the game that players who get the same injury constantly are in trouble. Think Nathan Freeman.

Btw no way Shuey could have kept going with the rate he was getting injured in his last couple of years.

What did Shuey show in his first two seasons ruined by hamstring problems

Thats the point.
Were his first two seasons ruined by hamstring injuries alone?

He showed a lot of ability as a genuine midfielder from the start and would have played more if he hadn’t been injured.

I am not convinced the Shuey Burgiel comparison is a good one. There may be a way back for Burgiel but it’s looking like a long shot. He has ability but if his body can’t do it then he doesn’t have a career.

I think it’s time to move OA back permanently when Gov retires or TB leaves. JWill, Waterman and Archer Reid our Fwds for the future. OA doesn’t seem to have the same control when going for marks, JWill seems stronger in contested situations, Waterman lead up is the best in the afl atm. Reid is showing some glimpses of how good he is in the air at WAFL. Just a thought of how to manage our land of the giants.

Oscar would be a pretty decent swing man in defense if we needed to break glass in emergency and put him forward again.

I'm not worried about my feelings or anyone elses.

I'm concerned about mentalities in our club that have led us to this lowest point in our history and if this is one of them in the club it needs to change.
The mentality is to not get our asses kicked in the WAFL. We are not going get better as a AFL team if our WAFL team gets destroyed every week...

The mentality is to not get our asses kicked in the WAFL. We are not going get better as a AFL team if our WAFL team gets destroyed every week...
It’s bloody hard to develop when you’re stuck in the 2’s getting belted every week. Agreed

The whole WAFL concessions change wont change anything for first few years. Unless WAFL lets us absolutely launch missiles based on insane amounts of salary cap spending, no one is going to want to join us anyway.

Its just a fake attempt to appease us mostly. If you wanna see how fake it is just watch a few games and check out the "umpiring" against us. Its blatantly obvious the WAFL umpires as a whole naturally umpire against our players cos thats the culture of the competition

Assuming the commission green lights the new rules we’ll only have one rookie pick if we retain Maric, Culley and Hutch.
Maric should be promoted to the main list taking the place of one of our list cloggers, it saves us requiring a draft pick which we are short on.

Culley I think as tough as it sounds gets cut loose he’s just not quick enough. He’s 22yrs old in Feb and I think West Coast would be better served having that spot free and Maric’s for 18yr old’s in a fairly deep draft pool.

Just from WA alone who may not go in the National Draft include Will Hayes, Clancy Dennis, Hugh Boxhall, Jaxon Armetis and Max Rohr. Good spread of players in there and probably one of them worthy of at least a rookie selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to happen regardless of whether our main team is strong or not.
Its no coincidence that our development has gone to shit since the WAFL team started in 2019.
Im stating our WAFL eagles team needs to fold and our kids develop in other teams with stronger performing clubs.
We can't waste list spots on aging ex AFL players.

Maric should be promoted to the main list taking the place of one of our list cloggers, it saves us requiring a draft pick which we are short on.

Culley I think as tough as it sounds gets cut loose he’s just not quick enough. He’s 22yrs old in Feb and I think West Coast would be better served having that spot free and Maric’s for 18yr old’s in a fairly deep draft pool.

Just from WA alone who may not go in the National Draft include Will Hayes, Clancy Dennis, Hugh Boxhall, Jaxon Armetis and Max Rohr. Good spread of players in there and probably one of them worthy of at least a rookie selection.
It’s going to depend on identifying a few players likely to be picked in the 60s and whether we want them on a 1 year (rookie) or 2 year (ND) contract. I personally think this draft may well push into the 70s.

Culley I keep vacillating on. He’s got mongrel and flexibility to play FWD/MID but do wee really need another 3rd tall forward or a slow midfielder?

All of those players you mentioned I’d be ok with as a rookie selection, preferably Dennis. Multiple clubs have already spoken to him and he’s been named as AA CHB which will increase his profile so I’m worried he won’t make it to the rookie draft.

It’s going to depend on identifying a few players likely to be picked in the 60s and whether we want them on a 1 year (rookie) or 2 year (ND) contract. I personally think this draft may well push into the 70s.

Culley I keep vacillating on. He’s got mongrel and flexibility to play FWD/MID but do wee really need another 3rd tall forward or a slow midfielder?

All of those players you mentioned I’d be ok with as a rookie selection, preferably Dennis. Multiple clubs have already spoken to him and he’s been named as AA CHB which will increase his profile so I’m worried he won’t make it to the rookie draft.
Have we spoken with Dennis? I know only Victorian clubs have spoken with Boxshall

Do we give Culley a mulligan this year since he was coming back from an ACL and give him a chance to improve with a full preseason

Or do we rip the bandaid off to make the call that his pace won’t improve and that he hasn’t got enough other attributes to make up for that weakness

It’s borderline
I was on the side of one more year and can forgive the lack of speed IF the inside work held up. But the fumbling of the ball, missed hard ball gets and poor decisions last night were glaring. He is big enough to be hard inside nutt but his craft is way off.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had OP not hamstring after hamstring tear so a bit different. He also broke his leg too.

I think Burgiel can be re-rookied really for that reason.
Is that this year? In a deep draft I'd rather take my chances drafting someone who might make it rather that our rookie list continuing to be a place where guys are just slide from the main list waiting an extra year or 2 to be delisted
Burgiel can go

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone see Champion’s game yesterday? On paper it looks impressive with 3 goals but I’d be interested to know what his work rate was. In the championships his work rate seemed lacking at times.

Draft analyst Smythe had this to say about him:
No it is not what they do, it’s what they do when they are not doing all those little things.
I think you are confusing me saying drifting in and out of games with not kicking goals all the time.
What I mean by Malakai drifting in and out is being switched on all game, which Malakai has shown many times that he is not.
Joe Berry, Isaac Kako and even Benny Barrett all average more touches, marks, tackles, goals and one per centers than Malakai, they don’t drift in and out as much as Champion, and with his skill he could be really damaging.
When Malakai is up and going he may get 9 touches with a couple of goals, but also when he isn’t getting the ball, he is leading, blocking, crumbing, chasing tackling, pressuring, all those things that you see the others always doing, their gap is not as big as Malakai’s.
Too many times I have witnessed him not doing these other things, and don’t get me wrong I have said many times I think he has some special talent (as stated in my previous comment about him) but he needs to bring the bar up and close that gap from his great games and his quite ones.
And as you have pointed out yourself, “as long as he does the hard work without the footy”.
He is only young and over time I’m sure he will.

The whole WAFL concessions change wont change anything for first few years. Unless WAFL lets us absolutely launch missiles based on insane amounts of salary cap spending, no one is going to want to join us anyway.

Its just a fake attempt to appease us mostly. If you wanna see how fake it is just watch a few games and check out the "umpiring" against us. Its blatantly obvious the WAFL umpires as a whole naturally umpire against our players cos thats the culture of the competition

So now the wafl umpires and in cahoots with their afl counterparts in waging some sort of conspiracy against the eagles players…..

How about we teach our blokes proper tackling techniques and how to be first to the ball and release it instead of hatching it… maybe not hold jumpers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back