List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have heard with Baker he’s not keen to go to freo but he’s also wanting to see his club compensated adequately enough to see him go.

Which is fair enough. In which case I hope we try and package our Barrass pick(s) appropriately so we don’t lose too much draft capital.

I think there’s a lot of people conflating “Graham could add some discipline and defensive structure to our midfield, which would be nice” with “we are a Jack Graham away from turning this all around”.

It’s ok to incrementally raise your floor, while using the top end of the draft to add the sizzle.
:100:
Hes a decent chop out for Yeo/Kelly without forcing us to throw 3 kids onball at once, and in 2 years he would probably be the only guy over 22 in the midfield unless we got Warner or something, who would be 25.
Graham at least is more of a leader than Parfitt or whoever else we might grab

Seb Ross? Wouldn't mind as a Jack Graham type

Seb Ross? Wouldn't mind as a Jack Graham type
Five years older. We should not be walking 31 year olds in the door.

Seems a no brainer that North should go and get him, teach their army of children a few things and instantly become the oldest player on their list by an order of magnitudes.

He's a darn sight better AFL footballer than you are in posting reasonable views on Bigfooty.

That's for sure.

He is an upgrade on any of Gaff, Trew, Jones, L Edwards or Sheed. No debate.

Those players get let go replaced by the likes of Graham and Baker our list is stronger.
Devastating news that you dont think I post reasonable views. However, no doubt he is better than those guys.

Whats one good reason to waste a first or second round draft pick to trade in Baker - riddle me this. I'll wait.

Not worth a 1st.

For a 2nd, even an early one like ours we get a clear B22 player. That is worth it (F2 preferred).

If we recruit more high quality mids that overtake him he can play both small fwd and small back. Mid, small forward, small back - outside of ruck they are our 3 greatest list needs. He would be a lock in our b22 for 4 years probably longer.

Yep, his disposal is not his greatest strength, but the reality is with b graders you have to accept their deficiencies. We still need to add role players while we seek A graders through the draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Five years older. We should not be walking 31 year olds in the door.

Seems a no brainer that North should go and get him, teach their army of children a few things and instantly become the oldest player on their list by an order of magnitudes.
No world beater but could last a couple of years.
Effectively turning Culley into a passable playing option.
Same with LEdwards -> Graham.

Costs no draft picks and improves the list👌

Fremantle have 9,10,27 and wherever Ports pick lands (currently 17)

If they’re keen on Bolton, ports pick plus 9 would be close to getting it done

They aren’t giving 10 for Baker nor are they likely to offer a F1 for him

Not convinced either WA club are giving up a first round pick for Baker who’s a nice to have type player but not a priority

I’d be ok trading our F2 for him but that’d be the ceiling imo. And I’m not convinced Freo are beating that, especially if they get Bolton or are hell bent on chasing Warner

I find it hilarious that you asked for evidence, I gave you evidence and your response is basically “nah he sucks”.

Good chat.
I literally gave you evidence. I told you he is rated worse than Ginbey as an inside midfielder and he is only rated 10%-20% ahead of Trew. These are two guys that were deemed as not good enough to play as an inside mids for us this year by a lot of his board and are both substantially younger.

An AFL player rating of 9 is bad for an inside mid. We can do so much better. Guys like Baker, Parfitt, Peatling are such better options.

I literally gave you evidence. I told you he is rated worse than Ginbey as an inside midfielder and he is only rated 10%-20% ahead of Trew. These are two guys that were deemed as not good enough to play as an inside mids for us this year by a lot of his board and are both substantially younger.

An AFL player rating of 9 is bad for an inside mid. We can do so much better.

That’s the first time you’ve mentioned AFL player ratings.

You compared him with Ginbey and Trew. Go back and read your post and tell me how was I supposed to know that was based on anything but your opinion?

On point: your argument was that he wouldn’t be getting a game anywhere else. He’s been getting a game regularly at the club he’s at, which was an AFL powerhouse until fairly recently and is now a toilet.

He might not be best 22 at a top 8 club, he might not even be best 22 at our club next year, and I’m not actually all that enthused about the prospect of him joining. But claiming he’s a state league player is just not supportable.

Hence, unhelpful exaggeration.

I think there’s a lot of people conflating “Graham could add some discipline and defensive structure to our midfield, which would be nice” with “we are a Jack Graham away from turning this all around”.

It’s ok to incrementally raise your floor, while using the top end of the draft to add the sizzle.
Wasting a midfield slot on a Graham in a bottom four side that could be given to youth just makes zero sense. What are we genuinely trying to achieve? We will have so much talent on the list to play through the middle next year and we want to use a mediocre 27 year old in their instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worth a 1st.

For a 2nd, even an early one like ours we get a clear B22 player. That is worth it (F2 preferred).

If we recruit more high quality mids that overtake him he can play both small fwd and small back. Mid, small forward, small back - outside of ruck they are our 3 greatest list needs. He would be a lock in our b22 for 4 years probably longer.

Yep, his disposal is not his greatest strength, but the reality is with b graders you have to accept their deficiencies. We still need to add role players while we seek A graders through the draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we were 1 year further down the track id agree. We still have too many list holes to be throwing picks at players who arent significantly better than some of the free agents floating around.
There also isnt a clear role sitting there for Baker that we desperately need filled.

Are we kicking Yeo or Kelly out of the middle for Baker? no
Does he play a complementary role to our current mids? no
Is he a better defender than Cole/Duggan/Hough? no
Are we putting him at half forward over Long/Dewar or a younger mid rotation like Hewett? doubt it

hes not a winger, hes not a small crumbing forward.

Hes just not that important.

All completely feasible. BUT. The bit about wanting to go to a big club and play in front of big crowds, if true, if true, so he can enhance his brand … kinda undercuts the sincerity of the rest.

If his primary concern is Melbourne’s poor culture then the size or whereabouts of the club would be very much secondary. Surely?
I'd suggest that, like a lot of players that quote homesickness, it's a "reason" that explains their desire to depart that doesn't air all of the dirty laundry. There's no need for players to slag off clubs in the public sphere.

That’s the first time you’ve mentioned AFL player ratings.

You compared him with Ginbey and Trew. Go back and read your post and tell me how was I supposed to know that was based on anything but your opinion?

On point: your argument was that he wouldn’t be getting a game anywhere else. He’s been getting a game regularly at the club he’s at, which was an AFL powerhouse until fairly recently and is now a toilet.

He might not be best 22 at a top 8 club, he might not even be best 22 at our club next year, and I’m not actually all that enthused about the prospect of him joining. But claiming he’s a state league player is just not supportable.

Hence, unhelpful exaggeration.
Fair call. Thought I had mentioned my source. Lesson to not post on bigfooty following night shift.

He's getting a game at the worst club in the league. Thats like me saying guys like Witherden are AFL quality because they played all year for us.

I mean i disagree its an exaggeration. Plenty of guys that are much better than Graham are playing state footy at the moment. Sheed is likely to play state footy next year and I think he is similar quality to Graham.

Wasting a midfield slot on a Graham in a bottom four side that could be given to youth just makes zero sense. What are we genuinely trying to achieve? We will have so much talent on the list to play through the middle next year and we want to use a mediocre 27 year old in their instead?
We desperately need someone to come in and play a defensive role in the middle. Yeo, kelly, Reid and Hewett are NOT suitable. We cant just have 5 purely offensive mids running through, or we get the same shit that happened this year where oppo mids just walk it out of stoppages.

Look at Port, they have JHF, Rozee and Butters along with Wines. Why dont they leave JHF, Rozee and Butters at 80% CBAs each? Are they stupid? Why do they leave them at 50-60%, kinda weird huh? Theyre the best mids on their list right?
No, they put Drew, the much less talented mid in there just as much as any of the others. We need a Drew and Graham can be it until be find someone better

Could just swap TT and Moraes for Lindsay and Oliver. Similar roles, idea is the same
Oliver is a B+ version of TT and definitely the second best HBF in the draft. He’s a better kick IMO but Tobie has him covered in just about every other facet. If we keep pick 23 I’m expecting us to use it on Oliver, Hynes or the best KPD available which will probably be O’Farrell.

Not sure where Moraes comes from but I’m pretty confident Lindsay goes before him. The only thing that might change that is his PCL injury. Lindsay is a far better kick in terms of accuracy and penetration. Would be a good winger initially then add balance to our midfield. Sometimes bites off more than he can chew but a far better player to have the ball delivering inside 50. I’d happily use pick 12 on Lindsay but not Moraes.

We desperately need someone to come in and play a defensive role in the middle. Yeo, kelly, Reid and Hewett are NOT suitable. We cant just have 5 purely offensive mids running through, or we get the same shit that happened this year where oppo mids just walk it out of stoppages.

Look at Port, they have JHF, Rozee and Butters along with Wines. Why dont they leave JHF, Rozee and Butters at 80% CBAs each? Are they stupid? Why do they leave them at 50-60%, kinda weird huh? Theyre the best mids on their list right?
No, they put Drew, the much less talented mid in there just as much as any of the others. We need a Drew and Graham can be it until be find someone better
Why are you comparing us to Port hahaha. Drew is also twice the player Graham is.

Theres obviously an important role for defensive mids. They actually have to be good at AFL footy tho. I massively question the role in a bottom four teams side where the focus should be on developing players.

Make Yeo or Duggan defensive mid. Obvious solution if we want the role.

Fair call. Thought I had mentioned my source. Lesson to not post on bigfooty following night shift.

He's getting a game at the worst club in the league. Thats like me saying guys like Witherden are AFL quality because they played all year for us.

I mean i disagree its an exaggeration. Plenty of guys that are much better than Graham are playing state footy at the moment. Sheed is likely to play state footy next year and I think he is similar quality to Graham.
If they both played a full year of WAFL, Sheed is more likely than Graham to win a Sandover.

But the specific reason nobody wants Sheed anywhere near our side is the exact reason Graham is an AFL role player. He busts his ass defensively.

I’d feel much better taking on, say, the Bont led Dogs, of Freo’s midfield, or really any AFL midfield with a mix of Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Graham than Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Sheed. Wasting Yeo’s impact having him chase Bont around (or Cripps as we saw) is a great way to get far less from him the other way.

I would hate Josh Smillie for West Coast, we need midfielders with good agility and pace.
the guy that has really stepped up seamlessly from U18 to VFL level is Jagga Smith but to be any chance of getting him we'd need to keep 3 and even then there'd be no guarantee he'd get thru. I think we need to split 3, maybe try swapping 3 & 12 (Barrass pick which may end up 11 if Hawks lose this week and Carlton win) for GC 6, 13 and 20, throw in a future 2nd if necessary. GC need a first rounder for Rioli, then have an academy player (Lombard) to match for around pick 10 so will want to offload first rounders for later and future picks. They will most likely end up with Crows first (4) if Lukosius goes there. If we got their 6, 13 & 20, do we then try for Sydney's 18 & 19 by offering 13. We'd then have 6, 18, 19, 20. Use 18 on Baker and go to the draft with 6, 19, 20, 23. Question is, would that be better than having 6, 13, 20, 23 and having to use 20 on Baker, leaving 6, 13 & 23 in the draft 🤷‍♂️

If they both played a full year of WAFL, Sheed is more likely than Graham to win a Sandover.

But the specific reason nobody wants Sheed anywhere near our side is the exact reason Graham is an AFL role player. He busts his ass defensively.

I’d feel much better taking on, say, the Bont led Dogs, of Freo’s midfield, or really any AFL midfield with a mix of Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Graham than Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Sheed.
I understand the reason why Graham is better than Sheed for us. I just think our extra midfield spot would be far far better suited for our Pick 3 / Hewett / Hutchinson / Hall to use. We are setting ourselves back by not developing our young midfielders to fit a role player in the side.

Duggan is better than Graham anyway. Let him play that role if we are desperate.

Why are you comparing us to Port hahaha. Drew is also twice the player Graham is.
Because they are a very similar example of how we probably should be structuring our midfield. Not many clubs have the offensive weapons coming through that Port have, id like to think we are on the path to something similar.
JHF, Rozee, Butters vs Reid, Hewett and Draper
Theres obviously an important role for defensive mids. They actually have to be good at AFL footy tho. I massively question the role in a bottom four teams side where the focus should be on developing players.
Graham is 100% fine, hes not a star but hes more than good enough to play AFL. Its like you think hes a VFL player or something LMAO
Make Yeo or Duggan defensive mid. Obvious solution if we want the role.
Yeo is not a defensive mid, hes our best clearance winner. Absolute waste to put him on somebody.
Duggan we dont want in the middle, Graham is just as good of a mid as Duggan, if not better. At least Graham doesnt try to kick it so much. We severaly lack experience in the backline now with Witho and Barrass likely gone. Id prefer him in the backline playing a defensive role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back