List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.3%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 30.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Smith, assuming he gets back to his peak post injury, would add a lot to our team.

That said I wouldn’t want trade out of our first pick, which I assume would need to be involved.

Dogs I assume would do Smith and Buss for our first, but I’d be very reluctant to do that.

Smith and Buss for TB? Maybe.
TB just said he wants to stay so can put that to bed now. TB isn't going anywhere

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question - but in a scenario where a player is out of contract and his club can’t agree a suitable trade with his club of choice - and he then opts to take his chances in the PSD.
How is his salary negotiated when he is selected? If the team finishing last picks him in the PSD then what if the player is not happy with the contract offer?
I’m sure there’s a simple explanation here but just curious as to how that works.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Smith, assuming he gets back to his peak post injury, would add a lot to our team.

That said I wouldn’t want trade out of our first pick, which I assume would need to be involved.

Dogs I assume would do Smith and Buss for our first, but I’d be very reluctant to do that.

Smith and Buss for TB? Maybe.
I reckon I'm taking Smith and Buss for our first. I think it improves our team considerably, Smith in that midfield really complements the others.

Not sure if Richmond do it but I wouldn’t be against pick 2/3 for baker and pick 9 if Richmond get it for Rioli
Hell no
He’s a small half forward who can run through the middle. Dime a dozen

I don’t get the infatuation with baker. I’d personally prefer to keep a 2nd round draft pick

Last edited:
If the rumours are true and we have tabled a deal to baker I think trading our future first is likely in play. We’re not going to table a deal and then not get the trade done.

Richmond get 9, 10 from GC for Rioli and I would hope some other picks going back to GC otherwise it’s more vfl rort.

Baker, one of these picks and probably steely green going to eagles for its F1 and a later pick.

Eagles take O’Sullivan and Lalor or travaglia with 2024 firsts.

Perhaps AFL come to the party with a 2024 2R that must be traded for busslinger otherwise it’s most likely this years 2R goes to dogs for him. If AFL do then use our 2R on mraz, Murphy Reid, Allen, Urquart etc.

Personally I’m in the camp that our draft capital needs to be used as efficiently as possible finding our future premiership team and that isn’t spending the little we have on what will be a 27 year old role player.

Like O.Allen mentioned the other day on coast to coast a key forwards hands are usually the last piece of the puzzle. Sometimes a reset like a career threatening illness or changing cities can be the catalyst that helps a player gain that mental edge to take on and start winning aerial contests. Clunking them is a confidence thing that for Bailey Williams could come later this year, next season or not at all, but I think we all can see that if Bailey starts sticking them he can be a serious player a la the Snake this year. That's what teams are trading for and not necessarily the player he is now.

If we do decide to trade, Geelong's pick 32 (mid 2nd round) could be a good fit and I seem to remember C.Scott rated him highly going on to note the cats were into him pre-draft.
The thing that would go against Bailey more than his lack of marking at the moment is that he isn't the most reliable kick at goal.

Maybe a dumb question - but in a scenario where a player is out of contract and his club can’t agree a suitable trade with his club of choice - and he then opts to take his chances in the PSD.
How is his salary negotiated when he is selected? If the team finishing last picks him in the PSD then what if the player is not happy with the contract offer?
I’m sure there’s a simple explanation here but just curious as to how that works.

He nominates his salary going into the draft.

Wasn’t he one of the vocal ‘not leaving vic’ pre draft prospects?

Plus, the price coming off an ACL is too high (according to reports, mid R1).

And how will he get the attention he craves with Harley around 🤣

So was Josh Dunkley.

Whilst I don’t believe this rumour, Bazlenka in an Eagles uniform would be elite. Hard running, high possession mid. Yes please

If the rumours are true and we have tabled a deal to baker I think trading our future first is likely in play. We’re not going to table a deal and then not get the trade done.

Richmond get 9, 10 from GC for Rioli and I would hope some other picks going back to GC otherwise it’s more vfl rort.

Baker, one of these picks and probably steely green going to eagles for its F1 and a later pick.

Perhaps AFL come to the party with a 2024 2R that must be traded for busslinger otherwise it’s most likely this years 2R goes to dogs for him. If AFL do then use our 2R on mraz, Murphy Reid, Allen, Urquart etc.

Personally I’m in the camp that our draft capital needs to be used as efficiently as possible finding our future premiership team and that isn’t spending the little we have on what will be a 27 year old role player.
It’s concerning that what you’ve written is something I can see the WCE list team doing but f**k me if we trade either of our 1Rs as part of a Baker deal I’ll be calling for the reinstatement of ROB.

Our F1 should be either used in a Chad Warner trade next year, or if he’s set on Freo then traded with Freo for multiple picks in the first round this year where we’ll have leverage knowing that our F1 is the key to them getting Warner next year. Something like 11, 14, 15 for F1 and 23. Obviously this should be done after the Baker trade.

The other possible player that might be of interest to other teams would be Jack Hutchinson. Collingwood were so keen on him that they shut him down after 3 games so would they value him as a 2R had he been in the national draft?

It’s concerning that what you’ve written is something I can see the WCE list team doing but f**k me if we trade either of our 1Rs as part of a Baker deal I’ll be calling for the reinstatement of ROB.

Our F1 should be either used in a Chad Warner trade next year, or if he’s set on Freo then traded with Freo for multiple picks in the first round this year where we’ll have leverage knowing that our F1 is the key to them getting Warner next year. Something like 11, 14, 15 for F1 and 23. Obviously this should be done after the Baker trade.

The other possible player that might be of interest to other teams would be Jack Hutchinson. Collingwood were so keen on him that they shut him down after 3 games so would they value him as a 2R had he been in the national draft?
I completely agree with you and wrote most of what I did out of fear that it’s a potential scenario if we’re putting 5 year contracts in front of Baker. Certainly wouldn’t be my preference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want the standout pick 1 (Dyson sharp) then future first must be kept
If we want the best wa mids in a long long time then future first must be kept
If we want Chad Warner then future first must be kept

This is the same recruitment team that though trading our future first for Curtin was a good Idea.

****ing alarm bells everywhere

Last edited:

Forget the AFL gifting us a PP as it isn’t going to happen

Now sorting through what you’ve posted

Out: F1, R2, later pick (F4)

In: Baker, Busslinger, Green, Pick 9 (Lalor/Travaglia)

Ignore Green for a F4, that’s neither here or there but -

Drafting O’Sullivan (if he’s there at our first pick) plus say Travaglia, Baker and Busslinger as a return from our first 2 picks this year and our F1 doesn’t seem a horrible outcome

Not necessarily what I’d do and maybe not quite optimal but not is it catastrophic

If we want the standout pick 1 (Dyson sharp) then future first must be kept
If we want the best wa mids in a long long time then future first must be kept

This is the same recruitment team that though trading our future first for Curtin was a good Idea.

****ing alarm bells everywhere
I’ve had an eye on Sharp for a couple of years, monsters kids his age (and above) and have said for a while he’s my pick for #1 next yea. Really like his game. Don’t see us finishing last next year but even if we did would I rather Sharp and pick 23 vs say Travaglia, Hotton and O’Farrell with the Freo picks? I’d take the later.

Agree with you Quasimodo would be having a field day in our recruiting office at the moment., would resemble Notre dame cathedral before it was set on fire. Wouldn’t rule out it happening again if we split and use it for Baker.

TB just said he want a to stay so can put that to bed now. TB isn't going anywhere

"As long as the club doesnt pull the rug out from under me" was the quote.

He is chasing a contract extension and a pay rise. Which we would be stupid to agree on bar a pay increase to his existing 3 years.

Sounds like Dogs are offering 5 years on better money closer to market.

What would you do if the club refused to add two more years? $2m in secured earnings.And they should refuse.

Last edited:
Rumour doing the rounds
f924b988be4447653c8753e20ae241a7.jpg
Won't happen and we don't have the capital but it wouldn't be the worst move for either side. He's the outside mid we're looking for and he arguably should get out of Melbourne.

Wasn’t he one of the vocal ‘not leaving vic’ pre draft prospects?

Plus, the price coming off an ACL is too high (according to reports, mid R1).

And how will he get the attention he craves with Harley around 🤣

At some point Smith will mature and not having the spotlight on him will be a good thing

Baker isn’t worth a first round pick. FFS. 🤦
Splitting hairs, but the most common range I've heard is 17-23, and 17 and 18 are first round draft picks, albeit barely. Richmond might be hoping for Baker and a third for a pick in the mid teens. Not that we can help them with that unless we do some earlier pick trades.

I’ve had an eye on Sharp for a couple of years, monsters kids his age (and above) and have said for a while he’s my pick for #1 next yea. Really like his game. Don’t see us finishing last next year but even if we did would I rather Sharp and pick 23 vs say Travaglia, Hotton and O’Farrell with the Freo picks? I’d take the later.

Agree with you Quasimodo would be having a field day in our recruiting office at the moment., would resemble Notre dame cathedral before it was set on fire. Wouldn’t rule out it happening again if we split and use it for Baker.
O'Farrell was on crutches post match on the weekend, feeling was he'd miss a bit of footy. So likely no more champs and school footy for him, and if he gets back would have 4-6 weeks at Calder to try show his quality. But I'm predicting a slider, unless he does get back and dominate.

Would love a 3rd rounder this draft.

Back