Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

no one said it was, the question was "Can Simpson be blamed for the senior mids getting slaughtered?"

the answer is yes, he's the head coach and he's ultimately responsible for on field performance

its the same in every other sport, and it's the same in basically any sort of senior management role, you're responsible for the output of your team
Can you explain to me how Simpson is responsible for Kelly and Yeo being terrible today? Your comparison to a senior management role is just ridiculous so wont bother addressing that.

If you can tell me how Simpson could have altered Kelly and Yeos performance today I will be happy to here it.

Ratten went and St Kilda are…
Pyke went and Adelaide are…
Cameron went and GWS are…
Hardwick went and Richmond are…

It’s time for Simmo to go but let’s not pretend sacking your coach is some one way ticket to the good life.
It's fine to call for the coach's head but who are you replacing them with?

They can clearly do it because we’ve seen them match it with some of the best but too often we just lack energy and dare.

Duggan needs to step down as captain because his scared, hesitant play sums up our entire team. No organisation and no dare to take the game on.
Lol Duggan goes as hard as anybody .
He is also a very good defender .

Its his kicking that is dogshit . Turns the ball over all the time .
Needs to take a leaf out of Cole's book and take the safe option and get it to a better user .

I

Just finished watching the game on holidays.
I'm so over Duggan.
When the best you can hope for from one of your co-captains is a net neutral outcome then it's probably time for him not to be captain (or in the team for that matter).
Sure he had the one good kick to Allen in space in the 50 but nearly every one of his touches did nothing for the team, or, a number of cases turned it over and undid all the good work from our backmen defending.
Think there was at least 4-5 occasions today where Duggan disposed of the ball poorly with a turn over and almost an immediate goal to Hawthorn.
Surely it's time for Duggan to have a spell in the WAFL because ATM, he is just not AFL quality (you could say that about others in the team but Duggan just sticks out as a sore thumb with his experience, the amount he gets the ball and the fact that he is our captain).

Can you explain to me how Simpson is responsible for Kelly and Yeo being terrible today? Your comparison to a senior management role is just ridiculous so wont bother addressing that.

If you can tell me how Simpson could have altered Kelly and Yeos performance today I will be happy to here it.
You’re on a bit of a hiding to nothing here. At the end of the day, that’s the coaches job over the long run. Small sample size/short term, it’s stiff to lambast coaches for that. We have a huge sample size and this isn’t a recent problem.

When the chips are this far down he needs to be able to alter our midfield’s performance or it’s his head. It’s the nature of the game as an extremely senior coach with the team in the midst of their worst ever seasons.

If Port sack Hinkley get him in for a year and let him take over from Simmo.
Pathetic effort bring in the WAFL team at least we can see if the young guys are worth keeping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re on a bit of a hiding to nothing here. At the end of the day, that’s the coaches job. Small sample size it’s stiff to lambast coaches for that. We have a huge sample size.

When the chips are this far down he needs to be able to alter our midfield’s performance or it’s his head. It’s the nature of the game as an extremely senior coach with the team in the midst of their worst ever seasons.
I agree with this most weeks. But Yeos dad died and it was obvious he was most likely going to suck. Kelly was also likely going to be bad after not playing for five weeks. They both had reasons to suck that Simpson cant really change that.

You’re on a bit of a hiding to nothing here. At the end of the day, that’s the coaches job over the long run. Small sample size/short term, it’s stiff to lambast coaches for that. We have a huge sample size and this isn’t a recent problem.

We've been pretty good at stoppages this year. I would say days like today have been the minority as far as the midfield unit is concerned.

Worst game we have played since we got done by Sydney last year by 171 points - similar effort

I rekon its time to sack Simpson. He had no idea about tactics and how to combat a 1st year coach.
In fairness, I predict that smitchell will go down as one of the coaching greats of our game.

I agree with this most weeks. But Yeos dad died and it was obvious he was most likely going to suck. Kelly was also likely going to be bad after not playing for five weeks. They both had reasons to suck that Simpson cant really change that.
You know what, he f**king can, he's the head coach FFS.
Bring Kelly back through the WAFL and play someone else who can go 100% in his place.
Sit Yeo down, have a heart to heart and tell him it's probably best if he spends the week with his family.

Sure, and it’s tough when your midfield is getting a bath. But why was the transition so far away from what we’ve seen and where it needs to be. Why were Cripps/Brockman/Darling ineffective as link up options. Where was the run from behind? The midfield was far from the only issue today.

In isolation there’s a reasonable reason for each element, but over the long run the picture gets painted and it’s not a pretty one right now.

I’m hardly a punch the wall and spend all week crying about how footy’s gone woke type like some of the absolute melts that have been calling for Simmo’s head since the day he was hired, but over a period of years (with pretty reasonable reasons in each) we’ve been miles of the pace in many facets of the game. Just as we address one (contested footy) we seemingly lose the ability to implement another (link up play like today).

In isolation, plenty of what you’re saying makes sense, but we’re not in isolation anymore, we’re in straw that breaks the camel’s back territory.

If you make excuses for those two then every can have excuses. We definitely aren’t a no excuses side that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ratten went and St Kilda are…
Pyke went and Adelaide are…
Cameron went and GWS are…
Hardwick went and Richmond are…

It’s time for Simmo to go but let’s not pretend sacking your coach is some one way ticket to the good life.
4 teams in the top 8 changed their coaches in the last 4 to 5 years with another 3 teams 1 game outside of the 8 also changed their coaches recently and doing well including hawthorn.

By my reckoning that's a a 60 to 70 percent success rate.

You know what, he f**king can, he's the head coach FFS.
Bring Kelly back through the WAFL and play someone else who can go 100% in his place.
Sit Yeo down, have a heart to heart and tell him it's probably best if he spends the week with his family.
No one in the WAFL currently is outperforming Kelly today. The only one is Trew but Simpson wont play him (which is genuinely something to be very critical of simpson for). We have terrible midfield depth.

Telling a player how to deal with their dad dying is extremely dumb. Glad you weren't overseeing that decision.

4 teams in the top 8 changed their coaches in the last 4 to 5 years with another 3 teams 1 game outside of the 8 also changed their coaches recently and doing well including hawthorn.

By my reckoning that's a a 60 to 70 percent success rate.
The last five years is a huge time frame hahaha. Half the list changes in that time.

Sure, and it’s tough when your midfield is getting a bath. But why was the transition so far away from what we’ve seen and where it needs to be. Why were Cripps/Brockman/Darling ineffective as link up options. Where was the run from behind? The midfield was far from the only issue today.

In isolation there’s a reasonable reason for each element, but over the long run the picture gets painted and it’s not a pretty one right now.

I’m hardly a punch the wall and spend all week crying about how footy’s gone woke type like some of the absolute melts that have been calling for Simmo’s head since the day he was hired, but over a period of years (with pretty reasonable reasons in each) we’ve been miles of the pace in many facets of the game. Just as we address one (contested footy) we seemingly lose the ability to implement another (link up play like today).

In isolation, plenty of what you’re saying makes sense, but we’re not in isolation anymore, we’re in straw that breaks the camel’s back territory

Their midfield four had 80 more touches than our midfield four. Thats 90% of the result right there. Other areas didnt work well but was that simply because they were always on the backfoot from the get go?

Two of those players you mentioned are geriatric and Brockman is currently a C grade player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back