List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 52 22.8%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.9%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard a strange whisper yesterday about another player who cannot be named. Tall fella at the Dogs mother been talking. :oops: :$

And as we know the Dogs now chasing Barrass?

IMO deal could be something like Dogs agree and dont match Eagles FA offer get end of 1st as offer wont get band 1. Difference may not be that much depending on where they finish.

Compo pick plus Garcia for Barrass?

Eagles in: English, Garcia plus end of 1st round FA compo pick.

Out: Barrass. We pay some of his salary.

Que the melts in.....

That's terrible, and not just because I don't want English

Why are we trading Barrass for effectively a 2nd rounder and a guy not getting a regular game, AND paying some of his salary?

Well band 1 and pick 9 needs the Dogs to fail and for us to pay over $1m a year for 5 years.

Not sure either of those things happen.

That late 1st turns into Baker?

English, Garcia and Baker for Barrass?

As a minimum that would help stiffen up our depth around all the kids we are bringing in. Two 27 year olds and a 23 year old for a Barrass turning 30. You can see why the club may consider it to stop the bleeding and to build some confidence in the squad.

I know this isnt drafting kids for the future but its how we can get three best 22 players in for round 1 next year and it costs us a 30 year old fullback and cap space.
English has to be viewed separately, he’s a FA and even though he is responsible for generating it, pick 21 and Garcia is not even close to getting Barrass. English is not going to move for less than or equal to the Dogs offer. We’d have to pay band 1, which would mean a deal could be done for Barrass but then we’re also stuck with a 200cm midfielder with concussion issues on a long and expensive contract.

Interesting about the whispers you heard but just can’t see him leaving.

English has to be viewed separately, he’s a FA and even though he is responsible for generating it, pick 21 and Garcia is not even close to getting Barrass. English is not going to move for less than or equal to the Dogs offer. We’d have to pay band 1, which would mean a deal could be done for Barrass but then we’re also stuck with a 200cm midfielder with concussion issues on a long and expensive contract.

Interesting about the whispers you heard but just can’t see him leaving.

Untill I heard this bit of goss I agree. English looks set to stay at the Dogs.

Could be a BS rumour sure. But it wouldnt surprise if something happened involving English as a FA and a Barrass trade for slight unders.

Remember lots of future picks to swap to balance any deal.

As to the mention of English concussion issues well TB doesnt have a clean fitness rap sheet either. At least if a player retires early due to concussion the salary comes out and not against the cap.

Starting next season Barrass will be 30 managing a back issue so less travel would be very attractive.

English will be 27 with concussion issues. Plus a 23 yr old Garcia and whoever we get with the compo pick or the 1st rounder they get for Bailey Smith. Which I think will be the Cats 1st rounder.

Maybe Cats 1st (12ish) and Garcia for Barrass. Dogs agree not to match.

Could be a BS rumour sure. But it wouldnt surprise if something happened involving English as a FA and a Barrass trade for slight unders.

As to the mention of English concussion issues well TB doesnt have a clean fitness rap sheet either. At least if a player retires early due to concussion the salary comes out and not against the cap.

Starting next season Barrass will be 30 managing a back issue so less travel would be very attractive.

English will be 27 with concussion issues. Plus a 23 yr old Garcia and whoever we get with the compo pick or the 1st rounder they get for Bailey Smith. Which I think will be the Cats 1st rounder.

I'd consider that trade in the last sentence. Gives us some much needed midfield depth and pick 12 can be used to draft young talent or to trade other players in.

I’ve repeatedly said his back won’t affect his football performance (and it won’t) but this is a very, very good point from a comfort and life after footy perspective. The first reports said open to a move specifically to Victoria which would fit with this.

Barrass and Petruccelle for 12, 28 and Garcia I’d take, with us to contribute decent salary being mindful that the Dogs are the ones approaching us for a trade. Also wouldn’t totally rule out a Buss backflip if they get Barrass.

I’ve repeatedly said his back won’t affect his football performance (and it won’t) but this is a very, very good point from a comfort and life after footy perspective. The first reports said open to a move specifically to Victoria which would fit with this.

Barrass and Petruccelle for 12, 28 and Garcia I’d take, with us to contribute decent salary being mindful that the Dogs are the ones approaching us for a trade. Also wouldn’t totally rule out a Buss backflip if they get Barrass.

Back injuries are tricky mate. No guarantees and they dont stay the same, could be ok but also could also go the other way. Especially if players keep jumping knees up and crunchng packs. And it is about the ability to train and maintain AFL fitness levels. Mentally as well as physically.

We have to keep in mind as well that a new coach will want different players.

If I'm Dean Cox am I wanting a new number 1 ruck. Am I saying Eagles get me English because that's something I can work with.

Back injuries are tricky mate. No guarantees and they dont stay the same, could be ok but also could also go the other way. Especially if players keep jumping knees up and crunchng packs. And it is about the ability to train and maintain AFL fitness levels. Mentally as well as physically.
I’m not getting back on this merry go round. His back won’t affect his football performance, the day to day management and life after football in the point you made above is a different story I agree.

We have to keep in mind as well that a new coach will want different players.

If I'm Dean Cox am I wanting a new number 1 ruck. Am I saying Eagles get me English because that's something I can work with.
Can he work with English though? The most flaccid number one ruck there is.

Gov will be 33 start of 2025 season, if history of Eagle players longevity is any indicator it will either be his last or the cliff will come so fast it might as well be.

If we trade Barrass, our future is HEdwards and Bazzo in defense :oops:

Gov will be 33 start of 2025 season, if history of Eagle players longevity is any indicator it will either be his last or the cliff will come so fast it might as well be.

The great thing about Gov is that his best footy attribute is his brain and his on ground performance doesn’t heavily rely on speed or agility which are the first to go with age. I could definitely see him having a Liam Jones style finish to his career playing some really good footy into his mid 30s and I think he’ll go on past his contract at the end of next year.

Having said that, Barrass would still be a big loss and we’d need to make sure we have some KPD options coming through this year who will be ready when Gov does hang up the boots. Harry, Jamo and Bazzo are fine as stop gaps in the meantime but Busslinger signing on was a huge blow.

Im sure we would trade in and draft a couple more tall defenders.
He is turning 30 remember. He wont be here in the future when we start contending again.

We've had this same conversation about other players over the years as well.

New coach new ideas. Maric plays defense. Others have mentioned Barnett as a CHB. We also have Jamieson as depth. Rotham leaves we bring in 193cm Ruscoe as a 3rd forward / defender. Pick up DGB as a DFA for more depth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sure we would trade in and draft a couple more tall defenders.
He is turning 30 remember. He wont be here in the future when we start contending again.

We've had this same conversation about other players over the years as well.

New coach new ideas. Maric olays defense. Others have mentioned Barnett as a CHB. We also have Jamieson as depth. Rotham leaves we bring in 193cm Ruscoe as a 3rd forward / defender. Pick up DGB as a DFA for more depth.
Agreed. Maric to a HBF especially with Gov out needs to be the first magnet shift on the board this week.

DGB I’d invite as train on only to properly assess him with a view to SSP. Would rather take a punt in the rookie draft which has served us well in the past.

Can someone provide some context where the talk surrounding Barrass has come from.

If he was to go, why didn’t he leave last year?

If he does request a trade what could we expect for him;

Pick 5-10 + R2.

Because Simmo believed we still had a premiership squad and wanted one final push for a flag.

Can someone provide some context where the talk surrounding Barrass has come from.

If he was to go, why didn’t he leave last year?

If he does request a trade what could we expect for him;

Pick 5-10 + R2.

Mainly from Twomey and other Eastern State journos.

I think Barrass’s manager is likely just trying to get us to add years onto his deal - which we simply should not do, I don’t think he projects to have great longevity and he’s already contracted for several more years.

Don’t think he actually leaves but if he does I’d say the Dogs would offer the first they get for Smith - likely from Geelong, but we’d also be asking for their F1.

I’d personally do that deal in a heartbeat, deathriding the Dogs in 2025 sounds fun and a mid first round pick in a deep draft this year is handy too.

What a bizarre swipe at Teakle. He’s actually been pretty good.

His stat line is virtually the same as Hayden McLeans at Sydney (another state league recruit) who I assume you don’t think is an empty jumper.

1.5 contested marks, 1+ goal a game fwds that can chop out in the ruck aren’t useless
Sure hes been ok, you guys have been in the best form of the last 5 years though. I dont think it was an accident that he was a late pick in both MSDs he went into, and was delisted by Port.

Lets be real, hes not a guy you want in your best 22. Hes backup for Xerri and a second player over 190cm while you have nobody else.

I dont think too many clubs have Teakle anywhere remotely close to Mclean if they had to pick one

A ding dong battle between the two best ruckman in the WAFL Colts this season elevated both their games as they strove to assert center square dominance. Although Smiths team won the game, Gerreyn probably just shaded the matchup with his ability to find more of the football on the spread and damage with his lovely skills. He was also able to hit the scoreboard and though he won fewer hit outs, some of those he did win were lovely touch deflections right down the throat of his midfielders to release attacking moves. Smith was able to use his greater length to give his midfielders first use more often, and was able to use his size around the ground to effect aerial contests.

lol, and I assume we would politely decline such a request.

If he wants $$ then he better prepared to move. I assume the dogs is probably our preference? Their R1 + Garcia?

From what we as supporters understand (or get told) we have 2 players asking for more $. Firstly let’s acknowledge they could 100% get paid more elsewhere:

TB, signed a longish term contract pre significant cap increase. As one of few clubs who don’t tie cap increases (or decreases) to contracts he is now on unders.

Waterman, 2 years signed last year. He was under a health cloud, was a fringe player and 2 years gets him to FA. Circa $400-450k annually from reports so around AFL average.

Honestly very hard to make a case for too many others on our list who could or should demand a pay increase on form.

So, do we cave and pay what they are worth based on current form? Do we negotiate only future years at an increased rate? (I.e. honour current contract but we will add). Or do we recognise that the increased $ demand also comes with an increase in market (trade) value and look to create a win/win?

There is a reasonable case for each option so will be intrigued to see it play out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd still split over just taking FOS, dream scenario would be Murphy Reid and Travaglia or Bo Allen.
We need a genuine clearance player with speed and spread from the contest.

If we split to get 2 first round picks sid draiper would be the only player I would be happy to settle for as our first pick .

Dropping back a few spots to 5 -7 (draiper) and then pocket a later teens pick for bo Allen

I do like the look of Herbert also with our 2nd pick as that hard running wingman

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back