List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Brisbane player who cannot be named will be playing against us this weekend. I look forward to avoiding this forum early next week.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope he has 30 and 3 just to stimulate discussion, but pretty sure they’ve just decided to wheel him out for an audition.

Once again wce fans having a hard on for WA players.

Bo Allen is a jack of all trades master of none. He's the best WA prospect so that's not really a praise but fact

He's performing worse (stat wise) then Clay Hall in wafl league as a midfielder.

Jasmine Jones is as versatile as Bo Allen. I'm only taking him after pick 16 or around clay hall pick.

Bo Allen is the type of player wce do not need. We already have plenty of jack of all trades master for none.

Jai Culley, Jasmine Jones, Tyler Brockman, Luke Edwards ... How versatile

Last edited:
For clarity, these are our players in the 21-24 age bracket.

Bailey Williams
Brady Hough
Tyler Brockman
Campbell Chesser
Luke Edwards
Harry Edwards
Callum Jamieson
Jai Culley
Zane Trew

Not sure if those stats are fixed in time or are a moving target; some of those players turned 21 mid season and Petrucelle exited this group 2 months ago, and Chesser joined it around the same time.

Either way - it's a lean group of players drafted between 2018 and 2021, which makes sense given our draft access during that time. It's also worth noting that list could shrink by a chunk of delistees by the end of the year (Ledwards, Trew and potentially Hedwards and Culley).

So targeting players in this 21-24 age bracket is one option, although unfortunately if they're any good it costs us draft capital, and if they're not, we risk list clogging.
We dont need "good" guys in this bracket, they just need to be able to justify a spot in the best 22 for the next couple of years until Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Maric, etc enter this age range. Our current guys here are thoroughly underwhelming.

Brockman, Hough, and Chesser are the only ones I think are a decent shot at being best 22 in round 1 next year for us, with JWilliams entering that list this year too who should be best 22.

If we could get in old mate from Brisbane and Davies or Garcia (for example) for a couple of 3rd/4th round picks or something, thatd cover us I think.

As long as they are defensive minded, and can let the younger guys flourish, theyll keep their spots

edit: also you forgot Hutch, who we dont know that much about yet

On actual mock draft:

1- Richmond Smillie
2- Suns FOS
3- Roos Trainor
4- Crows Draper
5- Saints Smith
6- Hawks Lalor/Reid
7- Eagles Reid/Lalor
8- Dees Langford
9- Freo Allan (Freo have the Power’s pick)
10- Eagles Travaglia
Where would the Barrass and Waterman compensation land in those picks if they were to leave?

Both top 10?

Could we somehow end up with 5/6, 7, 8 and 10?

Where would the Barrass and Waterman compensation land in those picks if they were to leave?

Both top 10?

Could we somehow end up with 5/6, 7, 8 and 10?
If Battle leaves the Saints and they get pick 6 as compo, they could feasibly offer that for Waterman or Barrass. Waterman I don’t think has the runs on the board yet to generate a pick that high but clubs will over pay for goal kicking tall forwards so who knows. Barrass is absolutely worth a pick 6-10 and there’s a number of clubs in that range who Barrass would be a great fit for. If the Hawks miss out on Battle then Barrass would be a good fit for them too.

I’d be delighted with just 7 and 8, but the others could be in play (moreso Barrass than Waterman) depending on what direction WCE want to take the list.

If Battle leaves the Saints and they get pick 6 as compo, they could feasibly offer that for Waterman or Barrass. Waterman I don’t think has the runs on the board yet to generate a pick that high but clubs will over pay for goal kicking tall forwards so who knows. Barrass is absolutely worth a pick 6-10 and there’s a number of clubs in that range who Barrass would be a great fit for. If the Hawks miss out on Battle then Barrass would be a good fit for them too.

I’d be delighted with just 7 and 8, but the others could be in play (moreso Barrass than Waterman) depending on what direction WCE want to take the list.
Judging by the images of Bazzo I've seen today, losing barrass might not be as stressful as some think. I don't remember him being this size in preseason. The new high performance guys have worked hard to bulk him up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2045209

Getting shitloads from our 18-20 year olds, which paints a picture that the rebuild isn’t as far off as feared, but the complete absence of contribution from 21-24 years of age puts those fears right back on the menu.

Emlyn Breese on Twitter, a phenomenal follow.
That doesn't surprise me at all. The 21-24 year olds are those drafted from 2018-2020.

Would the Saints, Hawks or Dees suit either of them?
I would not of thought. Barrass is leaving to play finals and don’t think he would have any of those on his list. Dees probably don’t need him.

Sydney
Pies
Bulldogs
are the ones that have been linked. Can see trades getting done with Swans and Doggies but can’t see Pies.

I wouldn’t trade Waterman at 26 yo
but i reckon all of those would be buyers if he finishes off the season well. Definitely Melbourne

I would not of thought. Barrass is leaving to play finals and don’t think he would have any of those on his list. Dees probably don’t need him.

Sydney
Pies
Bulldogs
are the ones that have been linked. Can see trades getting done with Swans and Doggies but can’t see Pies.

I wouldn’t trade Waterman at 26 yo
but i reckon all of those would be buyers if he finishes off the season well. Definitely Melbourne
I think Barrass is more motivated by financial security at this stage of his career (which is fair enough). I think he’d consider any club willing to add more years and a pay rise with a preference for a club in the flag window but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker for him.

I think Barrass is more motivated by financial security at this stage of his career (which is fair enough). I think he’d consider any club willing to add more years and a pay rise with a preference for a club in the flag window but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker for him.
Why not both? Because I think anyone who is chasing him knows they probably have to give him a 5 year deal on decent coin. Some of which we could pay as long as the deal is right.

Better performed than Patty Cripps at the same point who is the comparison.

I think he has improved marginally little since last year but not enough to be that bona fide star level of ball hog.
Coupled with a poor champs I think he will be the one to slide.

What he does have is that massive frame and the best ball winning ability we have seen for a while probably since Rowell. And Rowells numbers were still like 20% better overall than Smillie if you want to think like that.
Smillie has better spread from the contest than Rowell and a better kick but Rowell is far more of a contested beast. Different players.

I don’t think Smillie has been that bad during the champs, I feel metro have played players out of position at times to try and accommodate all the midfielders they have in the squad. Hence not the huge numbers, Moraes is suffering a little the same.

Why not both? Because I think anyone who is chasing him knows they probably have to give him a 5 year deal on decent coin. Some of which we could pay as long as the deal is right.
the Swannies have 2 first round picks and a player like Sheldrick that would come in handy at rebuild time.

As in why not cash and a flag? I think he’d prioritise the cash and as I said a team in the flag window would be preferred but not essential.

Our salary contribution is the interesting part, we could essentially use it to pick purchase but we’d need a willing club that can include a top 10 pick with a tight cap which is a difficult combo to find. Bailey Smith going to the Hawks for pick 6 and us trading with the dogs is still our best bet, but I don’t think their cap is tight depending on what they sign English and Bont for. Also sounds like Baz is off to the Cats.

As in why not cash and a flag? I think he’d prioritise the cash and as I said a team in the flag window would be preferred but not essential.

Our salary contribution is the interesting part, we could essentially use it to pick purchase but we’d need a willing club that can include a top 10 pick with a tight cap which is a difficult combo to find. Bailey Smith going to the Hawks for pick 6 and us trading with the dogs is still our best bet, but I don’t think their cap is tight depending on what they sign English and Bont for. Also sounds like Baz is off to the Cats.

Could turbo charge our rebuild?

Trade out some contracted talent and pay their salaries to pick purchase?

Ryan to GCS for 8 & 20
BJ Williams to Sydney for 19
Waterman & F3 to St.Kilda for 5 & F4
McGovern to Carlton for 17 & F1

*The picks are not the valuation purely of the players, more so that of the value of having that player outside of the acquiring club's salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back