List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 63 24.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 19.2%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
While Warner is in play (Pyke and maybe Cox* would have a better read on it most). He’s a needle mover along with Reid + Hewett + Smillie/Draper/FOS that’s a midfield for a decade. With Keys forwards already sorted. I just don’t do that trade. Even more so if the TB one happens.

You just don’t give away possible pick 1 in what looks high end talent again next year for picks in the teens imo.

2021 draft a lot of the blokes have been 3
years in the system and still unknown if they are going to make it or not. We can’t be in that position.
Could also be possible pick 4 (or later). Even if turned out to be pick 1 next year I’d still be comfortable having traded that for MReid, Travaglia and Lindsay this year.

Agree to disagree on this one 👍

Could also be possible pick 4 (or later). Even if turned out to be pick 1 next year I’d still be comfortable having traded that for MReid, Travaglia and Lindsay this year.

Agree to disagree on this one
We need players on our list now. Not next year or the year after. I agree with you that unless we are curtain warner is in play to come to us next year, trade the F1 for the three Freo picks.

Draft hand

2 Draper
7 Lalor
10 trevaglia
14 Lindsay
23 Mraz

Trade our 4th rounder for Baker.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well thats just recency bias.

Jamieson was playing just as well before he did a hammie. Just as many intercept marks etc.

What this says is our KP defensive stocks are not as dire as some have been worried about.
He wasn’t playing “just as well”. Not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face. Jamieson had some decent games like HEdwards today but also some absolute shockers.

He wasn’t playing “just as well”. Not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face. Jamieson had some decent games like HEdwards today but also some absolute shockers.
Now that I think about it. Both was pretty good markers. But one of them was a liability when the ball hit the deck.

Forgot which one it was. Maybe I have that confused with rotham

Jamieson also played exclusively alongside Mcgovern and Barrass, who are both great at intercepting and reading the play and can cover a large % of the time if Jamo couldnt manage.

HEdwards has been a replacement for Barrass and now Gov, and has shown he can do it without having one of our elite KPDs as a spare covering

Now that I think about it. Both was pretty good markers. But one of them was a liability when the ball hit the deck.

Forgot which one it was. Maybe I have that confused with rotham
Jamieson was bad at ground level. There’s a reason why afl player ratings has edwards 2x jamieson. One made costly errors.

Jamieson also played exclusively alongside Mcgovern and Barrass, who are both great at intercepting and reading the play and can cover a large % of the time if Jamo couldnt manage.

HEdwards has been a replacement for Barrass and now Gov, and has shown he can do it without having one of our elite KPDs as a spare covering
Yeah genuinely don’t know how this is up for debate.

My preference would be to try and trade your F1 for two more top 12 picks.
I think it depends how many we want to delist, and if we want another year with some of our kids to see where theyre at before adding another high end midfielder.

Still got Hewett to add to the side, along with 2-3 1R picks this year if we split our first pick.
Might trade in 1-2 guys too

We need players on our list now. Not next year or the year after. I agree with you that unless we are curtain warner is in play to come to us next year, trade the F1 for the three Freo picks.

Draft hand

2 Draper
7 Lalor
10 trevaglia
14 Lindsay
23 Mraz

Trade our 4th rounder for Baker.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
In no world would Freo be trading 3 first round picks for your F1. That’s whacky tabbacky hallucinogenic type dreaming.

Maybe the first two picks, even then, I’d expect a R3 going back to Freo as well, but you don’t have one.

In no world would Freo be trading 3 first round picks for your F1. That’s whacky tabbacky hallucinogenic type dreaming.

Maybe the first two picks, even then, I’d expect a R3 going back to Freo as well, but you don’t have one.
if we promise to not interfere and drive the price on Warner head up in 2025 they might give us a slightly favourable deal...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference would be to try and trade your F1 for two more top 12 picks.
Mine is keep the future first along with this first and trade TB and get a top 10 pick hearing GC have high end academy kids in every draft coming up might even be able to another 2024 first off them for a couple of future 2nds. GC hold a lot of power and maybe even more depending what the AFL do with the rules about matching.

Pick 2 - Sid
Top 10 pick (TB)- Reid/Lalor
GC 1st or (WB)- (2 future 2nds+?) - Travaglia
Pick 22- ?
Pick 30 (TB) - ?
F1- Duursma (along side brother in law) or Sharpe

My preference needs 3 parties to agree which gets harder (maybe more if other teams are involved).

Last edited:

3 x 1Rs still not enough for some!

Mine is keep the future first
There’s no right or wrong preference here.
along with this first and trade TB and get a top 10 pick
Personal opinion, TB is not worth a top 10 pick.
hearing GC have high end academy kids in every draft coming up
Not sure about this. They were by far, the worst performing academy team in the U16 championships. Don’t believe they have a first round prospect for 2026.
might even be able to another 24 first off the for a couple of future 2nds. GC hold a lot of power and maybe even more depending what the AFL do with the rules about matching.
If the draft rules change for matching bids, GC are going to need at least 2 first round picks next year. Potentially their best U17 academy kid didn’t play in the U18 championships this year.
Pick 2 - Sid
Top 10 pick (TB)- Reid/Lalor
GC 1st - (2 future 2nds+?) - Travaglia
Pick 23- ?
Pick 30 (TB) - ?
Reckon Travaglia is in the top 10, and potentially pushing top 5.

My preference needs 3 parties to agree which gets harder (maybe more if other teams are involved).

There’s no right or wrong preference here.

Personal opinion, TB is not worth a top 10 pick.

Not sure about this. They were by far, the worst performing academy team in the U16 championships. Don’t believe they have a first round prospect for 2026.

If the draft rules change for matching bids, GC are going to need at least 2 first round picks next year. Potentially their best U17 academy kid didn’t play in the U18 championships this year.

Reckon Travaglia is in the top 10, and potentially pushing top 5.
Of course not, drafts are always judged down the track.

Cal keeps going with 2 1st were offered last year for him and his price wouldn’t have dropped, that’s for sure. Mitch Cleary even said one was a top 10.

The 2 1st thing depends what the rules are and if we trade 2025 and 2026 2nd they will always be able to bundle those up along with their 2nd to get another first in 2025, list spots would be getting tight up there (once again will have to wait and see what the matching rules are and when they come into play)

GC or WB pick could easily be a top 10 pick and around his range (once again have to wait for draft intel ect)

This is an issue with modern football. Davies went in side on, protected himself and got as low as possible to try and win the ball out of the contest as safely as possible.

To me that is just a football incident but people are right, he'll likely be suspended for weeks. 30 years ago a player never would have gone for the ball like that as they knew they would have been destroyed in a collision yet the AFL and their protection of the head has led to players (most midfielders) going in for the ball this way and leaving themselves open to being cleaned up. The same thing is happening with tackles now where the player rather than protecting themselves is opting to try and dispose of the ball or have someone land in their back rather than protecting themselves.

The AFL and development pathways if they really want to tackle the concussion issue head on is to get juniors from the very start and all the way up to AFL level attacking contests in a manner where they are protecting their head and body. So many guys diving forwards, dropping down, leading with the head it is only a matter of time before some AFL player genuinely has their neck broken.

The aim when winning the ball or trying to win the ball from the contest was actually to get your leading shoulder and side at or just past the ball at point of pickup so your head was already protected. So whether you're the guy who's there first or second both players are going as hard as possible but as safely as possible to win the ball. You only went the tackle if the guy clearly has the ball and you didn't think you could win it.
Why is so little said about this? It’s bloody obvious.I agree totally; somebody is going to get a broken neck sooner rather than later.

As I have posted here a few times before, Davis is a VERY good player, who gets little love from here or the D&T Board.

Under ratted and under appreciated by most draft assessors.

He has a massive tank and has all the skills to be a goal kicking wingman ..... the sort of player that, just quietly 🤫, we are very much in need of.
He looks lumbering and slow in his highlights.

Is he the next Greg clark ?

Yea - hindsight s a wonderful thing. Playing in a good team like Lawson is helps as well.

That may be but swatting it away like that each time means recruitment can’t be held accountable EVER.

It’s important to know why it was missed. what we did know and didn’t know, what had changed in lawsons’s life that lead to improvement? Why did Geelong take him? What did they know others didn’t?

At best, it’s a learning opportunity and improve ability in connecting dots in player profile/circumstances.

Similar with Martin. Hindsight arguement requires knowing what lesson learnt was.

Anyway let’s keep going.

I am sure all clubs would agree with that sentiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back