List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not propose it and pay most of the salary? Give them a chance to land another FA big fish next year. We won’t need the money.
Would absolutely love to pay some salary and get another/a better pick for our troubles.

It all hinges on their F1. Everyone is talking about what if the Hawks win the flag…well what if they slide next year, instead of getting career years from all their role players at the same time and with oppo coaches scrutinising their gameplan further?

Doing what we need to do to get the F1 is the key to hitting the draft next year with a top 8 pick plus our own.

The Tigers will have top pick contender Harvey Langford play for their VFL side this weekend, following midfield pair Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith in recent weeks.

Tigers could have all of Freo's first 3 picks for Baker and Bolton as well as the possibly the Suns 2 x 1sts for Rioli meaning they'll own the draft this year.

If we could swing Barrass and our F2 for Hawthorn’s R1 and F1 plus the Collingwood R2 they own I’d be happy with that

Based on current ladder positions it would give us picks 3,11,23,28 to take to the draft and moves our F2 into Hawthorn’s F1

Two extra picks this year plus an upgrade of a future pick

I’d be happy to pay some of TB’s salary to get it over the line if needed

Posted the above on Tuesday

Good Daz.

Seems Schofield isn’t the only one that reads our board

Ranking the possible trade offers from bad to good -

Bad
• Hawthorn R1 (~11-14)
• Hawthorn R1 and F2 (~31-34)
• Hawthorn R1 and Collingwood R2 (~26-28)
• Hawthorn R1 and F1 (~13-16)
Good

Personally think their R1 and Collingwood’s R2 is the minimum we should accept

The Tigers will have top pick contender Harvey Langford play for their VFL side this weekend, following midfield pair Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith in recent weeks.

Tigers could have all of Freo's first 3 picks for Baker and Bolton as well as the possibly the Suns 2 x 1sts for Rioli meaning they'll own the draft this year.
Plus a couple of priority picks for finishing last....

Bad
• Hawthorn R1 (~11-14)
Good

I think it will be that unless Hawks make a prelim or beyond, would suspect maybe some shuffling of later picks.

Hawks first and F1 is fair. They’re picks in the teens after all.
Really want their F1 included regardless, even if we have to throw something else small in too. With the competition so even, there’s every possibility Hawthorn run into some poor fun or are crippled by injuries and that F1 could prove to be Schultz level blessing. Hawks will be back themselves in to contend next year so I think they’ll do the deal and then we death ride them all year and hope for a juicy outcome.

If they aren’t willing to pay up, then it’s simple, we keep Barrass to anchor our defence for the next 4-5 years, which is plenty of time to become a contender again considering our recent influx of young talent.

Bad
• Hawthorn R1 (~11-14)
Good

Keys =Daz confirmed.

Agreed on this. Absolute minimum and to be honest now they’re almost certain to play finals then I’d want more. 10 and 28 was fair 2 weeks ago.

I just hope we sit TB down and say we’re happy to trade you to a Melbourne club to be with your family, but it will be to the team with the best trade offer. Happy to contribute any salary top up required to match the best financial offer you receive.

Bad
• Hawthorn R1 (~11-14)
Good

The minimum is two first round picks IMO.

THEY need to pay a little extra as barrass has like 3 years left in a contract.

It’s proposed by a Hawks fan. The key is going to be their ladder position this year for the 1R. If they play finals that’s the kind of deal that I’d be looking for given they are adding TB and probably Battle.

If they miss finals 1R and Pies 2R I think is reasonable.
Can't see them missing finals.

If they get to say a prelim, what would their first pick be?
14 or 15?

That won't be good enough IMO.

Would absolutely love to pay some salary and get another/a better pick for our troubles.

It all hinges on their F1. Everyone is talking about what if the Hawks win the flag…well what if they slide next year, instead of getting career years from all their role players at the same time and with oppo coaches scrutinising their gameplan further?

Doing what we need to do to get the F1 is the key to hitting the draft next year with a top 8 pick plus our own.
I'm more worried about what this year's first will be TBH.

I also wouldn't count on them slipping next year either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's very harsh. Schofield was instrumental in that flag and was one of the best on ground in the GF.

He's part of the media now and has lowered his colours a bit, but lets not forget that he was a great servant to the club.
He was. But stories of how final play was all due to him has taken shine off his work on de goey during that game.

I don’t mind his criticism. It’s a bit like your child, you will always be harsher on them than other kids. Are we allowed to say that these days?

He was. But stories of how final play was all due to him has taken shine off his work on de goey during that game.

Pretty sure he’s taking the piss when he says that.

With all the chat about barrass and the hawks being kind of sorted.
I keep hearing that we have power in this trade to ask for pretty solid picks, or a multi way swap that brings back a player we were looking at.
what about this situation stops west coast from taking the best offer of picks / trade from any club? is it the fact taht he has a contract and so we cant just say you're going to whatever gives us the best deal?
Similar to how anytime a WA kid wants to return i hear the media talking about why do they have to deal with either WCE or Freo, surley they chase the best deal for the club?

I have picks 3 to 11 as on par and you could make arguments for and against all of them, Draper should probably be a little higher and post combine (interviews) I will probably move him up. Langford I'm a massive fan of the way he goes about it but his athletic profile is what is holding me back so post Combine (testing) he may climb aswell.

If it weren't for his injuries I think he would've preformed at a similar trajectory to how he was tracking last year and be a clear number one, but obviously that isn't the case now. Based on talent, Maturity and Leadership I still feel comfortable having him above the rest.
Fair enough, and I get why some hold him in high regard. I just can't have him even top 5 currently, based on his form this year and his VFL game didn't do anything for me.
I had him probably 3rd coming into year, quite liked him last year but had Draper, Jagga ahead of him based on last year. Ashcroft level with him, as I didn't feel he was that damaging.
Smillie started like a house on fire and overtook him and then Murphy Reid and Lombard had A+ Champs and overtook him.
I'm hoping he can have two big Coates league games and wildcard round game and really show he's still top 3.

what about this situation stops west coast from taking the best offer of picks / trade from any club? is it the fact taht he has a contract and so we cant just say you're going to whatever gives us the best deal?
Barrass saying no to the trade stops us from doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back