List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 54 20.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 71 26.3%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
controversial (to say the least) free kick and 50 meter penalty
Completely beat Trainor and then gets penalised by pathetic umpiring.
Of the Bendigo boys Tobie is usually the least fazed by the umpiring so that speaks volumes to their decision in that instance.

Tobie had a fantastic game here that was unfortunately mired by a controversial (to say the least) free kick and 50 meter penalty against him that handed Vic Metro the game. Up until that pivotal moment, Tobie was his usual combination of intensely competitive defender and damaging rebounder, regularly disrupting Metro's forward thrusts before setting up his team with attacking dash. Tobie's consistently strong performances have put him right in the top 10 frame.

Far out he just looks exactly what we need off HBF, agressive, hard running and good kick. If the downside was we got a Lindsay or the like as well instead of just say Draper I’d be more than happy with that.

Also that final decision was heinously garbage.

We used to be so good at picking the hidden WA gems from the draft, now interstate teams are better at drafting later stage WA draftees than we are.

From not originally drafting Tim Kelly till now.

We used to be a society.

We used to be so good at picking the hidden WA gems from the draft, now interstate teams are better at drafting later stage WA draftees than we are.

From not originally drafting Tim Kelly till now.

We used to be a society.
The fact Martin and Humphries spend time with our coaches and development team and they could see it is concerning. Especially for a Rookie spot.

I have liked the last couple of drafts (would’ve taken Pou or Ginbey) but that was a flip of the coin so probably go the home state player.

Even with the reports I would’ve given Schoenmaker a crack instead of rolling with Trew again, if the reports are correct and he was gone until the Brissy bloke insanely backflipped. Means they didn’t think he would make it so move on.

For how ‘bad’ our list is some tough decision will need to made to get it to 10 cuts and bring in a fresh crop.

There is a lot of love for Travaglia in here and it seems like this is not isolated to our board and he is very much on the rise in to/towards the top 10, which makes me assume acquiring both him and a FOS or Draper is going to be extremely difficult.

Here's my (current) preference for this coming off-season:

Whilst we need the drive and classy ball use in the back half, young gun midfielders and need to maintain our draft picks, for me I see Isaac Cumming as a must for us, especially as it only costs salary cap being a restricted free agent that GWS would not be willing to match.

He has a Player Rating of 11.87 this season which would have him fourth on our list behind Yeo, TK, Gov, Reid and just in front of Barrass. The main concern is he is 27 next month.

He is also using the footy by foot @ 79.2% efficiency, which would have him ranked fourth at the club behind Gov, Barrass & Rotham.

I think the consensus on this board for Liam Baker is less than 50/50, subject to the price we pay in a trade. Given he is interested in joining us and we are interested in having him join, I would say it is fait accompli.

He has a rating of 10.99, which would see him seventh on our list, behind Barrass & Waterman, if you continue from the list above.

Whilst Baker doesn't bring the same class via foot (54%) as Cumming, he is slightly lower than Yeo (56%) and slightly higher than TK (51%). Admittedly, this is his worst season on record for kick efficiency, which might have something to do with the pressure the Tigers are under this season.

What Liam does bring is:
  • Contested Possessions - he would be fourth on our list.
  • Clearances - he would be fifth.
  • Ground Ball Gets - he would be sixth.
  • Score Involvements - he would be equal fourth.
  • Tackles - he would be seventh.
  • Pressure Acts - he would be second.

Both Liam & Isaac are the same age as Rotham. If you have, for example, Gaff and Rotham depart your list and these two join for the price of a F2 and some salary cap, your list is in a much better position.

With these two, we would add some classy in the back half and some grunt and presence on-ball and forward half.

I know there is a number of requests to trade trade our F1 in to this draft, but I am not too confident this is a move we would execute, nor am I confident we should go in to the '25 draft with empty pockets. Who knows what could happen with the new CEO & list manager.

I get there is a need to draft young and keep the list young, but we will need to stay competitive over the coming years to ensure the drive in our kids remains.

That then leaves us with R1 + R2 this year & F1 + F3 for next year.

With the above additions, we could then still likely add a FOS or Draper, if Roos take Trainor, use our second perhaps on an outside mid like Davis and hope Champion could slide late for an NGA consumption.

Last edited:
The fact Martin and Humphries spend time with our coaches and development team and they could see it is concerning. Especially for a Rookie spot.

I have liked the last couple of drafts (would’ve taken Pou or Ginbey) but that was a flip of the coin so probably go the home state player.

Even with the reports I would’ve given Schoenmaker a crack instead of rolling with Trew again, if the reports are correct and he was gone until the Brissy bloke insanely backflipped. Means they didn’t think he would make it so move on.

For how ‘bad’ our list is some tough decision will need to made to get it to 10 cuts and bring in a fresh crop.
And the fact that guys like Gorter and Will Collins also spent time with our club and we thought they were worth picking up is also concerning...

There is a lot of love for Travaglia in here and it seems like this is not isolated to our board and he is very much on the rise in to/towards the top 10, which makes me assume acquiring both him and a FOS or Draper is going to be extremely difficult.

Here's my (current) preference for this coming off-season:

Whilst we need the drive and classy ball use in the back half, young gun midfielders and need to maintain our draft picks, for me I see Isaac Cumming as a must for us, especially as it only costs salary cap being a restricted free agent that GWS would not be willing to match.

He has a Player Rating of 11.87 this season which would have him fourth on our list behind Yeo, TK, Gov, Reid and just in front of Barrass. The main concern is he is 27 next month.

He is also using the footy by foot @ 79.2% efficiency, which would have him ranked fourth at the club behind Gov, Barrass & Rotham.
Agree on Cumming, very important especially if we arent in a position to get Travaglia.
I think the consensus on this board for Liam Baker is less than 50/50, subject to the price we pay in a trade. Given he is interested in joining us and we are interested in having him join, I would say it is fait accompli.

He has a rating of 10.99, which would see him seventh on our list, behind Barrass & Waterman, if you continue from the list above.

Whilst Baker doesn't bring the same class via foot (54%) as Cumming, he is slightly lower than Yeo (56%) and slightly higher than TK (51%). Admittedly, this is his worst season on record for kick efficiency, which might have something to do with the pressure the Tigers are under this season.

What Liam does bring is:
  • Contested Possessions - he would be fourth on our list.
  • Clearances - he would be fifth.
  • Ground Ball Gets - he would be sixth.
  • Score Involvements - he would be equal fourth.
  • Tackles - he would be seventh.
  • Pressure Acts - he would be second.
I dont think Baker gets to play as an inside mid for us like hes had a chance to for the Tigers, so most of his stats dont mean much at all.

At best hes a rotation as the 5th mid we run through there, similar to his current role at the Tigers. He didnt do a whole lot off half forward on the weekend, or the last few weeks when hes been pushed out of the guts.
We would have to have a bunch of injuries again for him to really come into consideration there.
If Trew was to keep his spot, or we acquired another mature age mid in the offseason, we have even less need.

We do have a lot of players who can sit at half forward right now, Long and Hewett to come into the side next year too. I dont think Baker is a huge upgrade there, at least not after a year or so.

Baker doesnt spend the same amount of time in contested situations as Kelly or Yeo do, and still manages to be at a similar disposal effeciency, hes an absolute ball butcher.

Only thing I can think of is if Duggan has lingering concussion issues then thats the ideal spot Baker takes.

F2 is almost overs for Baker, I really hope he stays at the Tigers.

Both Liam & Isaac are the same age as Rotham. If you have, for example, Gaff and Rotham depart your list and these two join for the price of a F2 and some salary cap, your list is in a much better position.

With these two, we would add some classy in the back half and some grunt and presence on-ball and forward half.

I know there is a number of requests to trade trade our F1 in to this draft, but I am not too confident this is a move we would execute, nor am I confident we should go in to the '25 draft with empty pockets. Who knows what could happen with the new CEO & list manager.
After last years attempt to bring the 2024 first pick into 2023, I wouldnt be surprised if we do trade the our F1 into this year. new list team though so who knows
I get there is a need to draft young and keep the list young, but we will need to stay competitive over the coming years to ensure the drive in our kids remains.

That then leaves us with R1 + R2 this year & F1 + F3 for next year.

With the above additions, we could then still likely add a FOS or Draper, if Roos take Trainor, use our second perhaps on an outside mid like Davies and hope Champion could slide late for an NGA consumption.
Really need more first round picks

If Trew finishes the year like he played yesterday does he get another year?

I thought he was 100% gone but if he finishes the year well in the firsts it will be interesting what happens with him.

Same with Le Edwards who I thought was gone aswell.

Rotham I now think is 100% gone.
Agreed, hard to cut if you give them games and they show something but we do have to cut some deadwood and turn over the list a bit especially the 22-26 yo

I thought Ryan burrows showed real promise.
Burrows I actually have less of a problem with, came out of nowhere and could have been anything, was just a punt really.
Both Collins and Gorter trained with the club in the year or so before we picked them, they were both undersized (by AFL standards) key defenders with no real stand out skill or attributes (and we knew this because they trained with us) yet we still thought it was worth taking them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the small defenders worth drafting in this draft?

We need to replace Cole,Witherden,Rotham badly,even Duggan id like to see gone.

We must have the shittiest small defenders in the AFL.

None are damaging kicks,none provide run and carry,none have pace.
We probably only need 1 running half back/distributor type.

Our backline is mostly fine, its the midfield/ruck thats letting us down mostly these days

Clarke was never a wingman. He was a big bodied inside mid that simmo refused to play inside. The amount of players that have been played out of position or in sacrificial roles just for wins rather than development is why Simmos gone.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can see your point and from the outside looking in it seems that way.
Clarke though did his shoulder pre draft and had a recon. Couldn't go and play him on ball then could we.

Just ask briztoon about Berry which is a similar case. The better footballer can make adjustments to their role and succeed.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with gifting games. If all you can do is free-wheel as a midfielder then you're no good in the modern game.

He is still slow on the lead. Numerous times he was trailing behind hipwood.

What is Hedwards problem in the wafl then ?
Is it an attitude thing because he has some terrible games when he should be dominating the lower level
Wafl defending is more one on one Afl you have a system to help

1. Richmond - Sid Draper
  2. North - Finn O'Sullivan
  3. Brisbane Lions - Levi Ashcroft F/S match (Used Pick 15 and 53)
  4. Gold Coast Suns - Leonardo Lombard Academy match (used Pick 9)
  5. West Coast - Tobie Travaglia
  6. Saints - Jagga Smith
  7. Adelaide -

Who are the small defenders worth drafting in this draft?

We need to replace Cole,Witherden,Rotham badly,even Duggan id like to see gone.

We must have the shittiest small defenders in the AFL.

None are damaging kicks,none provide run and carry,none have pace.
Well I guess there is Lindsay (mid/Half back) and Travaliga who everyone is talking about that probably both go first round if not top 10 possibly.

Then after that check out in no particular order and all possible draftees.
Harrison Oliver (vic metro), Harry Charleson (vic country), Oliver Warburton (vic country), Jaxon Artemis (WA), Lachie Jaques (vic country), Lucca Grego (vic metro).

If we can use what little assets we have in money, picks (both 2024 and 2025), and margin 22 players to make our list changes result in the below I'd be a happy guy this off-season.

Trew > Finn O'Sullivan or Sid Draper

Gaff > Murphy Reid or Tobie Travaglia

L.Edwards > Hamish Davis. Everyone's new fav WA draftee

Sheed > Glass's nephew. Need mature bodies in the middle. Could be Garcia or Carrol instead, not really fussed

B.Williams > Max Knobel. Someone suggested it earlier. Great shout for an 'out and out' ruck option as we only have two on the list. 50 hit outs is mad + he is another Gippy power lad to go along with Maric, Burgiel and A.Reid

Rotham > Noah Mraz. Having missed on Busslinger its now crucial WCE get a KD in this draft imo.

Witherden > Issac Cummings. Unlikely, but if you offer him $900k for 3 of 5 years does that get it done?

Baker > Zippy HB on a rookie contract. Someone suggested Kaleb Smith in the PSD as an option. Unsure if he is actually better than Baker, but I like the idea in concept.

Petch > Malakai Champion. I am not worried about his size, just remember Darcy Jones is a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back