List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 19.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 75 27.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 48 17.4%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
We probably only need 1 running half back/distributor type.

Our backline is mostly fine, its the midfield/ruck thats letting us down mostly these days
Do agree with this.

Hoping for a Meek 2nd season out of Flynn. Have not lost faith. Still might require another mature age ruck ready to go. With Barnett now playing majority as a forward in the magoos.

Probably first pick will be ready to impact the mid. A couple of plug and play types would be nice (Garcia, Carroll, That Brissy guy (who can play forward and provide a Keays type forward for us, Sheldrick). Rob Peter to pay Paul, Get a couple of these and play Yeo off hbf? Can Kelly go there and be our QB type? Both have been too up and down this year

HBF is a bit harder. Did like the Ginbey there, used it well and could notice his speed but depends a f they see him as a long term mid or HBF. Can see Johnston developing there.
-Travaglia in the draft is a real option. -Perryman and Cummings would be ideal but can’t see them coming.
-Johannisen as a last resort, FA and maybe squeezed out for a 2 year rental. Avg 21d at high efficiency this year before getting injured. Imo impact is worth a list spot.

Last edited:

1. Richmond - Sid Draper
  2. North - Finn O'Sullivan
  3. Brisbane Lions - Levi Ashcroft F/S match (Used Pick 15 and 53)
  4. Gold Coast Suns - Leonardo Lombard Academy match (used Pick 9)
  5. West Coast - Tobie Travaglia
  6. Saints - Jagga Smith
  7. Adelaide -

God I hope the afl make the clubs pay for academy and FS. 15 and 53 is a joke for 3.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

God I hope the afl make the clubs pay for academy and FS. 15 and 53 is a joke for 3.

do we even have any top quality FS/academy picks coming through?

If we do, can guarantee we will end up having to cough up way more than previous years.

This is exactly what I hope the afl change.

I hate the current compromised draft situation, but if laura kane and co can force a club to use a first round within the first round to bid that at least protects our 2nd pic a bit. If Brisbane used 53-62-71 and where able to keep there 15 that's when it's a complete rort

That’s only 1345 points. They would actually need 2234 minus the 25% discount.

So 1676 points for that pick 3.

As it stands the Lions actually wouldn’t have enough points without going into next year in deficit. Hopefully they get rid of the discount and make clubs pay full price.

Remember we have a potential F/S next year and a couple of academy kids that all look at this early stage draftable.

A quieter performance here to close out a slightly disappointing champs series for Smillie. He started well enough, getting his hands on the footy at stoppage consistently in the opening term, but he increasingly drifted out of the game and he had very little impact in the second half. His disposal by foot can get lazy at times and that was especially evident in this game.

I think we are better off getting creative with our F1 to bring in multiple picks into this draft, rather than trading TB.

Agree with most people's sentiments that Harry E is clearly good enough to lockdown 1 of the 2 key defensive roles now, and I still like the idea of Bazzo as third tall.

But I think the risk is too great with Gov now. Clearly playing wise he could probably still play at a high level for the next 2-3 years, but with yet another rib injury I can't see how he lasts more than 1 more season injury wise.

I think if Gov was 29/30 the TB trade makes sense, but I'd rather we keep TB. It may push Bazzo back from becoming a regular for 1 more year but think TB is vital for remaining competitive in our rebuild.
We've been smashed with gov and barrass both in the team. If we can get 2 top 20 picks for barrass and turn our first pick into another 2 top 20 picks we'd really be laughing and get our barrass replacement and the mids/ running HBFers we need

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was in two minds about making this video. Finn is clearly still miles away from peak fitness after his long injury layoffs, as evidenced by him getting caught with the ball multiple times and his opponents at times toying with him. There's a ton more to come from Finn this season, and we can look back on this performance to remind ourselves how far he's progressed.

As it stands the Lions actually wouldn’t have enough points without going into next year in deficit. Hopefully they get rid of the discount and make clubs pay full price.

Remember we have a potential F/S next year and a couple of academy kids that all look at this early stage draftable.
Yep. Two easy fixes - no discounts and 'use it or lose it'. I don't care if teams get priority access to high draft picks as it'll even out at the bottom end. Even clubs that gain priority access will benefit as their later round picks come up the board. Brisbane would effectively have to find a second round pick to make this work for Ashcroft under this model.

I’d prefer they go even further and add a loading for R1 matching if the team made the finals. 10% probably enough.

Maybe no discount for 9-14, bottom 4 get say 10% discount.

Plus obviously the requirement to use a pick in the same round (or within say 10 picks for later R1 matches).

Every other team needs to pay a premium to jump up the order (like last year, 2 plus a load of junk points was not enough for pick 1). Why should F/S or Academy where teams are jumping the order be any different?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not trying to defend anything or looking for an argument on anything, just want to clarify a couple of things about the current system, and mention what’s been rumoured about possible changes.

Currently there is a 20% discount on first round picks, and a set discount of 193 points on second round and later picks.

Teams can take a points deficit in to the following year, but there are restrictions on this deficit. Not going in to the full explanation, but if a team has future picks in each round, they can take a deficit somewhere around 1873 points (sorry can’t remember the exact figure).

If a team is missing a future pick/picks then the deficit they can carry goes down, if a team has extra future picks, then they can take a larger deficit. How much up or down depends what round/s the picks belong to.

Deficits are paid before the following trade period begins, and come off the corresponding rounds pick, the bid was made the previous year.

Currently rumours are that discounts are to be removed, the points value system is to be tightened (early picks worth more, later picks worth less, and picks worth points to be decreased), and that bids must be matched with the first pick being no later than one round back. i.e. if the bid come at pick 3, that latest the matching pick can be is the 3rd pick of the second round.

As for the Lions, under the current system, we have enough current and future points to match a bid at pick 3 for Ashcroft and pick 10 for Marshall, but that wipes us out of this year’s and next year’s draft.

A quieter game this week from Lalor who still showed his elite talent with some impressive moments. The Champs really came too early for Sam as he's a long way short of full fitness. He was only able to play brief stints through the middle, with most of his game time spent in the forward line. His standout moment was a huge mark and goal in the second quarter where he launched into a pack with no regard for his safety.

I hate the current compromised draft situation, but if laura kane and co can force a club to use a first round within the first round to bid that at least protects our 2nd pic a bit. If Brisbane used 53-62-71 and where able to keep there 15 that's when it's a complete rort
It’s been deciding Premierships for nearly 20 years.

The new AFL Bosses haven’t covered themselves in glory to start with but at least they are looking at this rort and plenty others in the comp.

There is still a high level of delusion amongst Eagles fans about the abhorrent state of our list. This cliff has been a long time coming but we've been sleepwalking to oblivion. We are a complete mess, and its a very real probability we won't get near finals for a decade. The gap between Harley and the rest is so stark. I rate our core of youngsters near the bottom.

If we can use what little assets we have in money, picks (both 2024 and 2025), and margin 22 players to make our list changes result in the below I'd be a happy guy this off-season.

Trew > Finn O'Sullivan or Sid Draper

Gaff > Murphy Reid or Tobie Travaglia

L.Edwards > Hamish Davis. Everyone's new fav WA draftee

Sheed > Glass's nephew. Need mature bodies in the middle. Could be Garcia or Carrol instead, not really fussed

B.Williams > Max Knobel. Someone suggested it earlier. Great shout for an 'out and out' ruck option as we only have two on the list. 50 hit outs is mad + he is another Gippy power lad to go along with Maric, Burgiel and A.Reid

Rotham > Noah Mraz. Having missed on Busslinger its now crucial WCE get a KD in this draft imo.

Witherden > Issac Cummings. Unlikely, but if you offer him $900k for 3 of 5 years does that get it done?

Baker > Zippy HB on a rookie contract. Someone suggested Kaleb Smith in the PSD as an option. Unsure if he is actually better than Baker, but I like the idea in concept.

Petch > Malakai Champion. I am not worried about his size, just remember Darcy Jones is a player.
Trew is on the rookie list so you need another player delisted for Fos and Draper
As for Knobel it seems most Dockers fans prefer to keep Knobel and ditch Reidy who can't get a game with Darcy injured.
Not sure what's Reidy's negatives are as he dominate hit outs at wafl level so i assume it is his around the ground work.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back