List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 19.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 75 27.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 48 17.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Neil Balme in the HUN saying he’s pretty confident Baker will remain at the Tigers. Could be the second time in two years someone has saved us from ourselves.
View attachment 2049977
Great, I’d much rather try to get Kaleb Smith from Richmond as a half back flanker, which is a position we need and use our top pick on the best available mid, then talls and maybe Malakai Champion later in the draft.
Hough Ginbey and Smith running off half back could be very good.
Harley, Hewett, Trew, 1st round pick, Hall, Yeo, Kelly as midfield options could work well.
I believe there’s plenty of upside to our list, really looking forward to watching it develop.

Miguel made some good points but id also add.

Harley will build his tank over time so those periods of going missing will become less and less. No different to Martin at the same stage.

His workrate will eventually lead to him winning more of the ball as he improves his run patterns and positioning around the ball. His numbers are reasonable for a second year player playing in a poor side.

He’s bulked up looking at him in the WAFL on the weekend. He wont lack strength or be as poor as he matures. Of course a young kpd is going to struggle in that area.
Bazzo got a massive praise from the sherminator in 2021 after we played the tiges in 2021. Said how physical Bazzo was for a kid. Like you said he’s been 80kgs and not much footy under his belt for a while.

His flexibility will allow him to play both key positions and third tall, so if he can stay fit, I think he will likely leap frog Harry next season

Huge. They need to get those matching rules right. First pick of rd 2 will be pushed back even more.

Also need mock draft for next year if we have these NGAs and father sons
I don’t think so. The only player who I can see being affected before our 2R pick would be Kako (so 1 spot max). Lombard, Ashcroft and Marshall already QLD NGA.

Berry and Kako have been very impressive but with Ryan, Long, Brockman and possibly Champion on the list I reckon we have a few areas to sort first.
Berry is better than all of them on talent quite easily. Probably Ryan excluded because he’s 100 games in. Long being injured has shown we actually are short on good small fwds and he’s got more to his game than just playing that role.

Berry is better than all of them on talent quite easily. Probably Ryan excluded because he’s 100 games in. Long being injured has shown we actually are short on good small fwds and he’s got more to his game than just playing that role.
Champion this year and Walley in 2025. Bringing them will allow Long to be in the middle more too, where he excelled as a junior

Makes trading 3 and 23 for freo's picks certainly more enticing now for us
Definitely take a phone call now depending how we rate him
I don’t think so. The only player who I can see being affected before our 2R pick would be Kako (so 1 spot max). Lombard, Ashcroft and Marshall already QLD NGA.
Not just this draft. Talking future drafts but hopefully the matching points are about right to match

Definitely take a phone call now depending how we rate him

Not just this draft. Talking future drafts but hopefully the matching points are about right to match
We will have to use our 2R to match next year so a year’s reprieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion this year and Walley in 2025
He’s miles in front of champion and a slightly different player anyway. Plays more like a taller Watson. Watson went pick 5 last year and Berry pretty much matches him in every stat. Is a better mark, just as dangerous around goals and defensively very good. His disposal and decision making is up there with the best in this draft and because he finds the ball like Watson he’s damaging as he brings others into the game. Watson probably has him on agility because his is off the charts.
Berry will play next year at AFL level whilst Champion will be slow burn.

I’m very interested in how you would have judged Yeo and Kelly at the same point in their careers as Ginbey, and Barrass and McGovern at the same point in their careers as Bazzo.

At the point Ginbey is now, Yeo was playing half back at Brisbane, and Kelly was battling away in the WAFL where he’d remain for a few more years.

At the point Bazzo is now, Barrass was just starting to cement himself as a key back, and McGovern was struggling to keep fit at Claremont having not even been close to being called up for AFL.
Both were really good at colts level. Similarly to the level of Chad Warner. Moreso than Ginbey who was even playing WAFL league. Ginbey was better at the U18 champs however and coupled with a mean fend off and "athletic ability" probably went a bit higher than he should have based on performance.

I would assume after a couple of seasons right under our noses that they would have been exiting prospects to keep and hit their peak level quicker/greater than with lesser development at Brisbane/WAFL.

Looking from the outside McGovern I agree in 2013 should/would have been delisted after doing SFA. But after a few preseasons inside the club we could see something there to know better. Always had elite hands though. (Even a spud like Ratugolea an forge a decent career with a good set of mitts😆)

I'd say that Bazzo was ahead of where Barrass was when drafted- but obviously has had a few issues hold him back while Barrass has outperformed expectations since then. (Would have gone top 10 easily if redone today)

He’s miles in front of champion and a slightly different player anyway. Plays more like a taller Watson. Watson went pick 5 last year and Berry pretty much matches him in every stat. Is a better mark, just as dangerous around goals and defensively very good. His disposal and decision making is up there with the best in this draft and because he finds the ball like Watson he’s damaging as he brings others into the game. Watson probably has him on agility because his is off the charts.
Berry will play next year at AFL level whilst Champion will be slow burn.
Thanks for the education Shifter

Thanks for the education Shifter
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Not necessarily, under current rules we would’ve traded up using ours and powers 2nd to get in front of the Collard bid and then used rubbish picks for Collard match. Might’ve missed out on Johnston
If we could even do that (apart from GCS and Richmond, most teams wanted to trade up, not down) we would have likely picked a different player at a pick in the mid 20s plus we wouldn’t have had Clay Hall.

So MWT have also suggested that WCE and Freo might look to do a deal with the 1R pick so thought Eagle Talk might be on the money.

Then Jon Ralph said 187cm running rebound defender and my boy Tobie Travaglia was a KPD.

* me the quality of journalism from The West to the east coast is absolutely shithouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back