List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 55 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 45 15.6%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft prospect video highlights by noobermensch

I'm warming to Travaglia more and more

Will pick 3 be too high for him? I wonder if he keeps climbing

Interesting to see Twomey's ratings. I think he mentioned they'd be out after the last U18s game?
The save as house player that will go out and be good players.

Are Sid draper, FOS, and Travaglia.

I have zero doubt any of those three don't make it. They have very minimal or no weakness at all.

Smillie, Lalor and and Jagga all have very small questions marks.

In saying that we need a mid. There is no point in having a gun Backman if the ball is going to get out of our mids like slice cheese and go over the head of travaglia onto a FF repeat.

I trust Travaligia to transition to mid as much as I do Sam lalor

Anyone now see Trew have chance of being in our future? he showed what he could become the other day.
Possibly, Monocle made a call weeks ago RE Trew never having a chance to play his true position or his Trew position. Thanks I'll be here all day.

When playing for the Eagles normally had been half forward, wing etc, so never saw him really at stoppages (especially centre square) and he is an extractor. I was very impressed with his game from the weekend, and if he can keep that up I think he stays. But does depend if he can keep that up.

I was thinking about the future of the game with all this focus on tackling and holding the ball. I was wondering if the quick ball clearance players with quick hands and feet are the way to go. Rather then the big bullocking midfielders who were all the rage a couple of years ago. For one thing the big guys are easier to tackle correctly and stay standing up. They also find it harder to tackle the little guys correctly.

Some of the most consistent and high ranked players in 2024 have been Butters, Daicos, Guilden, Heeney, Serong, Neale, Warner, Anderson, Merrett.
Apart from Cripps and Bont they are all pretty small and fast.

For this reason I'd probably be leaning towards a smaller faster mid. A Smith, Draper, Reid over a Smillie, Langford, FOS. Yes FOS is small but players taller and not really the fast clearance player.

A couple of years ago we started to build the land of the giant mids but I dont think that worked and the game is changing again. We already have Reid and Ginbey to be the muscle, what we need is fast hands and feet.

The save as house player that will go out and be good players.

Are Sid draper, FOS, and Travaglia.

I have zero doubt any of those three don't make it. They have very minimal or no weakness at all.

Smillie, Lalor and and Jagga all have very small questions marks.

In saying that we need a mid. There is no point in having a gun Backman if the ball is going to get out of our mids like slice cheese and go over the head of travaglia onto a FF repeat.

I trust Travaligia to transition to mid as much as I do Sam lalor

We may need midfield quality and depth but Lalor and Travalgia are future midfield rotations. Travagalia more of a Whitfield half back wing posibly a Day from the Hawks or a Dawson at Crows. Lalor a.bit like De Goey.

When you have Harley, Ginbey, Hewett and Hall coming though with Long and add future trades and 1st rounders is it a step backwards turning one potential gun pure mid into three quality players of need.lthis draft?

We may need midfield quality and depth but Lalor and Travalgia are future midfield rotations. Travagalia more of a Whitfield half back wing posibly a Day from the Hawks or a Dawson at Crows. Lalor a.bit like De Goey.

When you have Harley, Ginbey, Hewett and Hall coming though with Long and add future trades and 1st rounders is it a step backwards turning one potential gun pure mid into three quality players of need.lthis draft?
Future that's correct. We need now like now midfielder. The cliff for Tim Kelly and Yeo is in the next 2 years.

This draft and next draft determines our starting midfielder for the next 10 years. The Tasmania draft makes the draft a wash.

I don't see us getting Chad Warner or Dev either. It's become apparent nobody wants sto come to us.

But the mid we draft this year is expected to need to average over 22 possesions in his second year. There's no learning on the job for our draftees this year

Last edited:
Future that's correct. We need now like now midfielder. The cliff for Tim Kelly and Yeo is in the next 2 years.

This draft and next draft determines our starting midfielder for the next 10 years. The Tasmania draft makes the draft a wash.

I don't see us getting Chad Warner or Dev either. It's become apparent nobody wants sto come to us.

But the mid we draft this year is expected to need to average over 22 possesions in his second year. There's no learning on the job for our draftees this year
We also need a hbf now, a young kpd now, etc.

It's easier to find a couple of battler mids to go with Reid and Hewett than it is to find a good HBF who is arguably more important with the way the game is played these days

Cal saying this years draft is a super depth draft with a lot of good players up to pick 30ish.

So maybe trading pick 3 for for extra picks could be the way go.
Could split the 1st, try and trade the f1, trade a star or get an assistance package....

There's no question WC are looking to get more picks

I was thinking about the future of the game with all this focus on tackling and holding the ball. I was wondering if the quick ball clearance players with quick hands and feet are the way to go. Rather then the big bullocking midfielders who were all the rage a couple of years ago. For one thing the big guys are easier to tackle correctly and stay standing up. They also find it harder to tackle the little guys correctly.

Some of the most consistent and high ranked players in 2024 have been Butters, Daicos, Guilden, Heeney, Serong, Neale, Warner, Anderson, Merrett.
Apart from Cripps and Bont they are all pretty small and fast.

For this reason I'd probably be leaning towards a smaller faster mid. A Smith, Draper, Reid over a Smillie, Langford, FOS. Yes FOS is small but players taller and not really the fast clearance player.

A couple of years ago we started to build the land of the giant mids but I dont think that worked and the game is changing again. We already have Reid and Ginbey to be the muscle, what we need is fast hands and feet.
Very much so. It’s physical in that you have to scrap hard to win the footy, so being fast but not wanting to do any heavy lifting simply will not work. but there’s also no point having big dinosaur mids in stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what the article on Harry Edwards is about?

Just that he’s out of contract and is playing some decent footy now he’s got his body right

Makes the point of he doesn’t get a new contract he’ll have other clubs interested

For his part, Harry seems content at West Coast and is happy to leave the negotiations to his manager

If we can secure either Draper or Lalor AND trevaglia I would be rapt. We need another top 10 pick to have access to 2 of them.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just that he’s out of contract and is playing some decent footy now he’s got his body right

Makes the point of he doesn’t get a new contract he’ll have other clubs interested

For his part, Harry seems content at West Coast and is happy to leave the negotiations to his manager
Seems too competent not to persist with

Seems too competent not to persist with

Agreed

If I was to read between the lines of what he said in the article, it sounded like a player who knew his agent was finalising a new deal with the club

We have to remember the Saints are probably going to get band 1 compo for Josh Battle - which is laughable but it is what it is. Makes splitting a tad less appealing because they’ll definitely take 2 mids.

Interesting the 3 draft power ranking that has come out post the champs, usually they're very similar in with maybe one or two difference but largely the same.

This years power ranking are all completely different, and I think it's down to how even this years draft is. The gap between 4 to 14 isn't that big and someone being rated at 14 isn't that they don't rate them, more it's bloody hard to split them.

I really rate this draft and we could stock up on a few needs in it.

Last edited:
Murphy Reid has been the biggest bolter in the draft class through this Champs series, from back end of the first round to comfortably inside the top 10. He done this by showing how his innate poise and class becomes more valuable the higher the level and the more intense the pressure. In this final champs game he didn't have his most prolific game, but there were a few moment of sheer class and creativity that few if any can match in this draft pool.

The article on Harry Edwards for those wanting to read it

West Coast defender Harry Edwards has had to wait almost three years – and counting – to play in an AFL win.
The last one was in round 19 of 2021 against the weekend’s opponent St Kilda at Optus Stadium.

Edwards has played AFL 26 times since for 26 defeats. It is a number that says more about where the club has been at than how Edwards’ football has been.

There were signs last week that things might be starting to turn for Edwards and a W might be just around the corner. The Eagles, under interim coach Jarrad Schofield, stretched in form Brisbane all the way before going down by 13 points.

And Edwards, handed the tough assignment of playing on Eric Hipwood with stints on Joe Daniher – acquitted himself very well.

The 23-year-old is one of 12 Eagles, mostly youngsters, coming out of contract at the end of the season. If it is bothering him, he is not showing it.

“I am fine with it. I just want to play good footy and I have got six weeks left to do that. The contract stuff will work itself out,” he said.

“That (the contract) is for my manager to figure out with the club. I don’t play any part in that — that is why they (managers) get paid.

“You need key backs on your list and I am one of those so hopefully it falls in my favour.”

You would suspect it will now — that Edwards will either get a contract to continue at West Coast or another club will come with an offer to join. He is certainly big enough — at 201cm after growing four centimetres since joining West Coast — to be a key back.

He is strong enough now after missing most of last season and spending it in the gym. And he feels ready.

“I thought it was one of my better games, certainly this year and for the club. I thought I held up my end of the deal quite well and it was just great to be back with the boys,” he said.

Edwards had just the eight disposals but Hipwood had only eight as well and had to go a fair way from goal to get involved in the game.

Edwards is starting to feel like he belongs.

“It was great to be back. Obviously Gov went out with his rib injury and that provided an opportunity for me to come back in,” he said.

“I have had more continuity this year at both grades. I have played a full season. I have got a lot of confidence in my body and within myself. It is good to get back in the side and be able to show a bit of that.

“I missed pretty much the whole year last year and only played two games of footy. It took me a while to find my feet again this year but now that I have confidence in my body it is easier to play good footy.”

One of the reasons for Edwards win-loss record as an Eagle (he has played 34 times for seven wins and 27 losses) is the dire run of injury the Eagles have suffered. He has often been asked to fill a key defensive post when either one or both of Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass has been missing. Now he feels he has progressed enough to play alongside both of them even when McGovern recovers from his rib injury and punctured lung.

“When he is back before the end of the year I would back myself in to play alongside the two of them for sure,” he said.

“I would assume Tommy and I would take the two bigger key forwards and that would allow Gov to do his thing.”

Edwards said honouring Adam Simpson’s legacy at West Coast was a big focus for players heading into the Brisbane game.

“It was obviously a huge week for the club. Simmo has been a great coach and has been here for a long time. We had to pay our respects to him. It was a big week and I thought we played well for him on the weekend,” he said.

And while Schofield has predicted the last six weeks will be, in part, about list exploration Edwards says he wants to be earning his games, not being gifted them.

“I don’t think they are going to be handing out games to anyone. You are going to have to earn your games. If you have got good WAFL form you are a chance to get a go,” he said.

“My contest craft – my ability to win or halve one on ones – I think has improved a lot,” he said.

“I spent a lot of time in the gym last year so I am a lot stronger. As you grow older and you are in the AFL system for longer you understand the game better. It helps in all aspects of the game.”

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back