List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse the intrusion etc. etc. Just got a couple of questions. I don't rate it at all but I don't make a habit of watching your mob. I hardly make a habit of watching mine when I can't go to the game.

How well does he move around the f50 (leading up at the ball and applying pressure on the ball carrying defender)

Is he able to at least match it with defenders 5+ cm taller than him in the air?

Why did he randomly get 22 disposals in a game this year?

Feel free to answer all or none. Cheers

Darling is ideal for North. Hes durable, and will get at least 2 years of ok footy.
If North draft a KPF this year, he will have a couple of years to get his shit together before needing to pass Darling, while in the meantime they at least have some structure forward of the ball.

Darling, Larkey and their ruck/fwd Teakle isnt the worst tall setup in the world
They also have Condom/Combden or some such who's played back due to their defensive options being limited.

Excuse the intrusion etc. etc. Just got a couple of questions. I don't rate it at all but I don't make a habit of watching your mob. I hardly make a habit of watching mine when I can't go to the game.

How well does he move around the f50 (leading up at the ball and applying pressure on the ball carrying defender)

Is he able to at least match it with defenders 5+ cm taller than him in the air?

He's the forward line version of Judd, old mate.

We'll take pick 2 - cheers.

Guys you've got it all wrong, apparently Harley Reid left a cafe and tripped over Dodoro's eyebrow, which stretched over 3 suburbs and whilst trying to detangle himself from the vine-like structure he found the emaciated corpse of Matt Rosa who had expired whilst trying to escape his own entanglement with the great beast eyebrow.
I'm sure it was Merritt

He's behind OA and JW. He still applies high pressure as a forward and attracts multiple defenders when I50.

Is a dead-eye when kicking for goal.

That 22 disposal game was his 2nd highest career game(from memory) which came after being dropped, so you know he responds well to criticism. Laid 11 F50 tackles in that game, or something.

He'll apply a shitload of pressure and lead straight at the ball-carrier, unlike Larkey who tends to use his size to outmark his opponents.

Your forwards will learn a lot from him, if he ends up at your club.

Hard to know to be honest, because injured Jack and uninsured Jack are different species.

What I will say is I truly believe he always gives his all, and when he is I injured his all is very good. But he is at the club he supported his whole life.

I think he has enough self respect he would never go through the motions with North, but how good he will be is really hard to say.

One minute youll think he's king Carey, nek minute you'll be punching the TV. Physically prob has 2-3 years left body is totally fine, it's just a case of if he wants to apply himself or not maybe Clarko can get something out of him. His best will win you a game still but his worst is below Toby.Pink.

Still moves around 50 pretty well for a bigger guy. This used to be an elite trait of his (chase down tackles etc) but has obviously slowed in that regard as he's aged. Certainly still tries, and had a game or two this year where he laid some really good tackles and set an example.

He's a KPF, and has always matched it pretty well with bigger guys. Still does okay but isn't getting league leading contested mark numbers like he did in his prime (Even against big boys). Can at least bring the ball to ground.

That game was just after he returned from a WAFL stint and looked re-energised. I would say he played up the ground a bit more, but he might have just had a blinder tbh. He was manic that game with his pressure from memory and just looked like prime Darling again.

Cheers, lads. Consensus on here is a bit brighter than I expected. Appreciate that you've acknowledged the shit elements, because that's my general recollection of my limited viewings of his last few years. Sounds like there's still a reasonable amount of good stuff too though. Look forward to our cumulative draw next year

Whether it's true or not, I don't like seeing the back of players like Barrass and Darling in this manner. These guys are club legends & premiership players, in a perfect world it'd be nice to have better control over our list that these guys could retire at the Eagles with the respect that they deserve.

I understand we're in this position due to an enforced down cycle, and we could possibly be in a better spot if our list was managed better, and that lastly we need to capitalise on their value for the sake of our future - and it's not like they're getting nothing out of these moves, but it still saddens me nonetheless.

Oh well, f*ck it. Gotta evolve I guess.

Cheers, lads. Consensus on here is a bit brighter than I expected. Appreciate that you've acknowledged the shit elements, because that's my general recollection of my limited viewings of his last few years. Sounds like there's still a reasonable amount of good stuff too though. Look forward to our cumulative draw next year
Still extremely good at halving the contest and provides good pressure for a KPF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe North could try to get that Ben Brown bloke at Melbourne?

He's still an AFL level KPF. No doubt imo, he's been very durable and without travel every few weeks I see no reason why his body won't hold up a bit longer (say 2 years).

The issue with us is he's behind Allen and Waterman, and we've got some good kids coming through too in J Williams and Reid. KPF is the only position we are stacked in.
Most of us just don't think we should play him ahead of Williams next year given where the side is at.

Link to full article

Happy for Darling to decide what’s best for him

Has the choice to stay at West Coast next year to play his 300th at some point but will likely spend time in the WAFL and won’t get a contract beyond 2025

Or he can go to North where he’ll get more game time and an extra year maybe 2 added on to his career

In some ways, it’d be a shame if he doesn’t play 300 games for us but things don’t always end the way people hope

Not sure North will be keen on coughing up pick 40 but if we agree to pay part of his salary then maybe.

Maybe we get 58 and 64 off North or Darling and our F4 for Norths F3

As a comparison Hawthorn got pick 48 and a F4 from Brisbane when Gunston left for his 1 year sabbatical

In any case we won’t get much other than opening a list spot and some more salary cap space. It also leaves us a little exposed if we get a couple of injuries to Allen, Waterman or Williams (x2)

Ultimately, we need to be resetting our list and if that means seeing Darling leave a year early then wish him well and take the late pick(s)

I'm sure it was Merritt

Many thanks Schtinker for that music clip, wow.. wow.. wow what an absolute blast from the past.
" ( being an old fart most of my profound life experiences these days, are blasts from the past, sad but true :( ) "

Did like the back up singer's front toothy gap, triggered a bit of a flash back .. with a gender change .. of course. :shrug:

Reminded me of an old girl friend that I went with for a few years , back in the day :), who had a similar toothy gap.

She was an amazing lady :praying: , still to this very day I have never come across ( pun intended), a better performed lady that could simultaneously suck and breathe at the same time.

Such skill a skill set is so rare and made in heaven.

Hallelujah, amen and ........... pass the paper bag that holds the bottle.

Last edited:
Hes still strong as ****, him tying up a kpd is probably worth it to free up larkey

Whether it's true or not, I don't like seeing the back of players like Barrass and Darling in this manner. These guys are club legends & premiership players, in a perfect world it'd be nice to have better control over our list that these guys could retire at the Eagles with the respect that they deserve.

I understand we're in this position due to an enforced down cycle, and we could possibly be in a better spot if our list was managed better, and that lastly we need to capitalise on their value for the sake of our future - and it's not like they're getting nothing out of these moves, but it still saddens me nonetheless.

Oh well, f*ck it. Gotta evolve I guess.

As fans we’ve been pretty fortunate to not see many of our premiership players leave the club to finish their careers elsewhere. Particularly late in their career as most get to retire as an Eagle.

Arguably, a few have played on a year or so longer than they should have

Lynch was one who left as a FA to try extend his career. Lycett and Rioli left but were in their mid twenties when they did so they’re both a little different. Shane Bond was still a pup when he went back to SA when Port started up. Jason Ball left to Sydney when he was still young

And Judd

And Cousins but that was a bit different

I’m struggling to think of any others

Compare that to Hawthorn who saw Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Birchall etc all leave

It will sting seeing Barrass and perhaps Darling running out for someone else but it’s now a part of footy and realistically in the clubs best long term interests

I am 100% FOS at 3, Travaglia/Lindsay at 12 then the 2 best KPDs unless there’s a slider. Baker, Kosi et. al. can head straight to the Purples and push out Knobel and O’Driscoll types.
Have you changed from draper to FOS or was it someone else that was keen on draper (there are many, myself included - although I like Langford too)

Langford isn't quick of body, he's quick of mind it's why his first few steps look fast while guys like Ginbey or Chesser have a slow first few steps imo.

His 20m time earlier in the year was 3.2 however whilst not there I was told he stumbled the first step. Has a low max speed but a solid cruising speed.

His agility is actually quite good.

People should not be surprised if he all things stay as they are now that he's a top 3 pick.

Lalor is nowhere near even top tier Coates league fitness atm let alone AFL fitness so that will have a bearing and if drafted he will need a couple of years. He has a huge ceiling but is also a chance of being a bust as a mid.
I posted on the old thread just before it got shut down; I am of a similar mind re Langford - although I've just watched a couple highlights while I imagine you've seen a lot more. I thought his athletic profile might be no worse than say Clayton Oliver & they're comparable players in terms of size, inside role, production - although Langford also has a strong mark, hits scoreboard & seems to have a very good kick. I thought his first few steps in a congestion looked anything but slow.

So long story short I'm all for taking him top 3, but it actually got me thinking - you referenced a few weeks back Eagles not taking pick 3 to draft, could it be that you may have been referring to us trading down from 3 to 6-ish & take Langford, knowing we've interviewed him in person too. Perhaps trade down from 3 to 6 (Suns pick via Tigers) in return for Baker?

Many thanks Schtinker for that music clip, wow.. wow.. wow what an absolute blast from the past.
" ( being an old fart most of my profound life experiences these days, are blasts from the past, sad but true :( ) "

Did like the back up singer's front toothy gap, triggered a bit of a flash back .. with a gender change .. of course. :shrug:

Reminder me of an old girl friend that I went with for a few years , back in the day :), who had a similar toothy gap.

She was an amazing lady :praying: , still to this very day I have never come across ( pun intended), a better performed lady that could simultaneously suck and breathe at the same time.

Such skill a skill set is so rare and made in heaven.

Hallelujah, amen and ........... pass the paper bag that holds the bottle.

Cracking tune. Up there with “Cool Change” and “Summer Breeze”

This brought to you by “Old Fart Hits”

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back