List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
My offseason please rate it on possibility and your opinion on it.
Barrass for picks 12, 30 and f2.
Hawks f2 for baker
Jack darling for pick 40
Draft
3 Sid the kid Draper
12 Tobie Travaligia
23 Xavier Lindsay
30 Noah Mraz
40 Kale Geeryn
59 Hamish Davis (pick will move up due to pick forfeiting)
Bid on champion.
Maybe swap Davis with Gerryn, at pick 40 Davis is a steal.
Then take Artemis instead of Gerryn.

Whether it's true or not, I don't like seeing the back of players like Barrass and Darling in this manner. These guys are club legends & premiership players, in a perfect world it'd be nice to have better control over our list that these guys could retire at the Eagles with the respect that they deserve.

I understand we're in this position due to an enforced down cycle, and we could possibly be in a better spot if our list was managed better, and that lastly we need to capitalise on their value for the sake of our future - and it's not like they're getting nothing out of these moves, but it still saddens me nonetheless.

Oh well, f*ck it. Gotta evolve I guess.
See I see it differently. I feel we should've traded a couple of our stars when they had huge currency at the end of 2021 when the cracks opened up wide. This is what clubs need to start learning to do sooner than the rot setting in.

Think about what trade value the following had in 21. All of these would've been minimum a first rounder.

Darling
Gaff
Yeo
Barrass
Nicnat
Sheed
JK

We might have had to only trade 2 of those and that would've netted us a few high end picka, equalising the picks we lost for TK.

Those picks would now be at the end of their 3rd year, and we might not have traded down to get Chess

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s very early days but where might a bid for Champion come?

Our current pick 59 has enough points to cover a bid from 45 onwards which seems like it would be around the mark

Makes pick 40 quite useful for us and worth chipping in a bit of Darlings salary if it means securing 40 instead of 58. Even if we pay $300k for next year, it’s $500k coming off our books assuming JD is on $800k as reported

One interesting rumour is that the Tigers are keen to land FOS and Jagga.

How do they do that?

Tigers with Rioli and Bolton trades may end up with 1st round picks 1, 6, 9, 10 and 17,.

Would they offer 6 plus 9 for 3? A few shuffles of later picks.

We get Hawks first at 12ish.

6, 9 and 12 are our fist rounders.

Lalor
Travaglia
Lindsay

All will end up playing midfield minutes but can also play on the flanks.

We need quanity and quality.

For those who feel sorry that we will lose two premiership players "DONT".
As much as i wouldn't mind keeping Barrass not for extra two years.
He will get a pay rise and importantly a extra year or two on his contract.
We should learn our lesson about extending older players too far into their thirties like NicNat.
As for Darling it would be nice for him to get to 300 games and if he would finish his contract with us he would do that.
Jack like Tom are looking out for themselves. Jack wants to play till he is 35.
If we get pick 40 i will be happy and if Jack gets two or three more years at Afl level he will be happy.

Last edited:

Our current pick 59 has enough points to cover a bid from 45 onwards which seems like it would be around the mark

Makes pick 40 quite useful for us and worth chipping in a bit of Darlings salary if it means securing 40 instead of 58. Even if we pay $300k for next year, it’s $500k coming off our books assuming JD is on $800k as reported
The pick 40 would be an insurance policy for it for sure. If it got to 40 and noone has bid we take next best available draftee - deep draft so might get another Long. With 59 covering bids from 45 even if it came bw 40-45 we could carry over the points to next year. I can't see him getting bid on before 40 though.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do they do that?

Tigers with Rioli and Bolton trades may end up with 1st round picks 1, 6, 9, 10 and 17,.

Lalor
Travaglia
Lindsay

After Jagga who I think they’ll take at 1 I understand Richmond will be going for high end talls at the start of their rebuild. I’d be surprised if they offer 6 and 9 for 2 or 3 in an even top end but if they were set on Jagga and FOS that’s how they do it for sure. Still hoping GCS aren’t stupid enough to pay 6 for Rioli but I think they will. If we ended up with those picks you suggested that’s exactly who I would take too.

How do they do that?

Lalor
Travaglia
Lindsay

Suns are better off using pick 6 for themselves and trading everything after the Lombard bid. Assume FOS and Jagga are both top 3, they'll need us or North to part with our picks. Based on conversations on this board, I feel like we need a top 5 and top 10 pick to get our targets. Richmond can't offer that. North on the other hand, don't really need another midfielder. Sure, elite talent is king but they midfielders coming out of their ears. They could afford to split pick 2 and Richmond will have a bounty of picks in the teens.

TLDR - I don't see Richmond being able to satisfy an offer for pick 3

I would say a bit of a mix between the two. He has very similar to the bont's ability to read play before it happens as well as his ability to go forward and kick goals.

He does have an interesting ball drop however and is probably a bit harder at the ball than the bont pointing more towards green.

He gets a shit load of the ball, is generally a very good user, particularly in tight and can kick goals. He's not fast but is agile enough and reads the play at an elite level. I would be lying if i didn't think he was a shot at going top 3.
Not that it means diddly squat but he's favourite I've seen this year. (All videos only)

Westcoast can facilitate some pretty handy picks if they pay both barass and darlings remaining contracts

Barass is prob worth a 1st and 2nd, pay his contract out and get 12 and and a f1

Darling is worth a 4th rounder if anything, pay his contract and maybe pick 40

12 + f1 on kozzie
40 on best fullback available

Pykes made it clear we will be aggressive this off-season, these are the sort of deals that need to be done

Fingers crossed this is how it pans out.
Kozzie would be elite on our list.

Champion is pick 35-45 IMO and more likely to be closer to 45. In saying that it only takes one person to value him more highly or one prick to bid early (mid-late 20s) out of spite knowing we’ll match. Glad Dildoro is off the books. I’d be pushing for 40 and 58 for JD and our F4 and we can afford to pay as much salary in 2025 as needed to balance it out.

How do they do that?

Lalor
Travaglia
Lindsay

If they're that desperate...I say pay up!
6,9 and 10. Hell, I'll even chuck in an F4 ;)

In my night shift boredom up north I've hit the 2006 Premiership rebuild. The 2018 team was dominated by key position players up the spine (Barrass, McGovern, Darling, Kennedy) and a team defence mindset with an ok midfield.
Polar opposite to 2006 with an elite midfield and 1 key position bookend in Glass, plus a hybrid forward/defender in Hunter and a mediocre key forward line in Lynch and Hansen.
The point is the rebuild started as soon as Malthouse left, who knew the window was closed. Judge or any coach in the role was always the sacrificial lamb. We traded elite talent in Ball ( Glass pick 11) and Gehrig (Kerr pick 18).

Rock bottom was 1999/2000. Our rebuild has been delayed under Simpson/O'Brien and we're there right now in the same situation with Barrass, Darling, Watermen, Ryan etc in the trade window.

We don't need a top up of players older than 25. We didn't top up with Chick for pick 8 until 2002 when Worsfold knew we had the young midfield depth and needed some bigger bodies around the ball. We doubled down with Stenglein in 2003.

We need elite talent via the draft. We're too far away to think about contending and Harley's timeline.

And when you look at all the failed picks in that build you realise it's the volume of picks we had rather than keeping blokes on the list on hopes alone.

* The cash symbol is 2006 Premiership player

2006 Premiership list build
Present under Malthouse
Michael Braun $
Rowan Jones $
Ben Cousins $
Andrew Embley $
David Wirrpanda $
Drew Banfield $

TRADES
Jason Ball to Sydney for picks 11, 41
Brendan Fewster to Fremantle for pick 16