List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Collingwood asked about him earlier in the season, there’s probably a handful of clubs that would be interested I think it’s more to do with what his value is. briztoon thinks he’s late 1st, some say a token pick but most here seem to think around pick 40 is about right. Best result would probably be a player trade.

I do agree with your second point that it’s unlikely we’d push him out, but stranger things have happened.
Late first Briztoon!!
Cash in that chip

Nothing earth shattering in here but a brief write up for those who just want a quick idea of what Hamish would bring to WCE if selected. I agree with their draft prediction of 30ish.
don't tell Monocle he doesn't like suggestions he might not go top 30

If we get

Pick 3 Sid Draper
Pick 13 Tobie
Pick x Champion

I'll be happy. Make Tobie happen either move up or something
Surely we'd take more picks than that? Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more picks before champion is bid on

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eastland’s two years older, 2cm shorter and doesn’t have Williams’ leap.

I think we saw with the Strnadica experiment that the “just go get a wafl ruckman” is fraught because there’s actually a bit of a gap between the leagues.
Ok I read them as both 199cm. But yeah 2 years difference. 1 is clearly better than the other at wafl level. 1 is untried at afl level.
Strnadica had already failed at his first attempt at afl when we got him
Not sure that's a great comparison

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

While I do think the Hawks will win one within the next few years, I also agree with some on here that think they may inititially slide a little next year. And that's the last thing they'll be expecting too

Alot of the rise this year was on the back of gameplan, if they get a little worked out and with a top 6 draw a small slide is definitely not out of the question. Getting our hands on their F1 could be a very smart piece of business

If we can get an F3 or 40 this year for JD plus salary, and then sending that with TB for 13 + F1 I reckon that's a pretty big win.

Alternatively
13 + 30 for TB
40 for JD plus salary

Taking 3, 13, 23, 30, 40, 59 isn't too bad either

Working Baker in for anything more than a F2 or 23 just isn't worth it any way you look at it
If we go by the WAFL statistic, there are a few WAFL ruck better than ours to choose from. Scott Jones from East Perth looks good as well.

I think everyone is setting themselves up to be let down.

TB + F2
For
13 and F1

Is the most likely trade imo and fair.

Our F2 is highly likely to fall 19-22. Their F1 while expected to fall 13-18 can easily be a top 10 though. They are taking a risk with it.

What pick we can flip that F1 is the question? Possible Gettable picks for it

Suns 6 - No will be for Rioli

Dons 8- Possible if they think the Kako pick comes early with Tigers having so many picks but unlikely.

Dockers 10- Possible if they want to get picks for next year for Chad.

Suns 12- this is the most likely one. Hawks F1 get it done alone? Everyone is trying to get it apparently. I’d offer to take one of the players they want to get rid of to get it over the line (Hopefully Joel Jeffrey but might be an Atkins)

Pick 14- Richmond seem to be the logical buyer here but if Brissy can get points somewhere else and want to move into next years draft we are a chance. (Or Richmond want to spread their picks)

Pick 16- I hope not because this will be F1 for Baker done.

Barrass and our F2

for

Pick 13 and Hawthorn F1,F2

Gives us another R1 pick in 2025 whilst swapping R2s with Hawthorn

So really if we finish bottom 3 and they finish top 4, then the picks will be roughly....b4 the FS acadamy compromised

Our F2 (23)
Hawks F1 (16)
Hawks F2 (35)

=

Barrass 23 for 13 16 35

I'd do it, but I hope we try not to throw the sweetener. I'd prefer the 23 in this year draft to the 35 in next.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrass for 13 and F1
3,13 for 6,9,10
F2 for GCS 26
Darling and salary for 40

6-Best mid
9-Travaglia
10-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
26-Mraz
40-Johnson
59-Dennis
Rookie-Boxshall
Rookie-Artemis

Delist/Retire (9)
Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Culley, Sheed (medical)
Like it

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends where the bid comes. If it came before 26 (which will be closer to 36 on draft night) I’d pass and take Mraz (has been reported that this foot CT scan was very good) or O’Farrell. If it’s late and we can use 3R picks then I’d match it.
I reckon Champion will end up in the blue and yellow.

If we go by the WAFL statistic, there are a few WAFL ruck better than ours to choose from. Scott Jones from East Perth looks good as well.
i am a royals fan and i am gonna say no. The thing about Wafl footy people forget is that they throw the ball up at centre bounces where Jones can use his bulk. I think he isn't mobile enough and isn't a great mark.
I love the guy. He is great at Wafl level

I expect so.

Tunstill may request a trade as well.

Tunstill is another we should show interest in.

He has been develiping away on the fringe and like Dev will see the next draft crop of locals come in who will be ahead in there development.

Both shoukd leave for opportunity.

Talking picks in the 50's here. Lions need list spots and cash for others.

TB + F2
For
13 and F1

Agree or close to it. People thinking we will get 13 and F1 straight up better get ready to be very disappointed.

I think our best possible realistic outcome is us providing an F3, not F2 in the above scenario.

TB + F2
For
13 and F1

Our F2 is highly likely to fall 19-22. Their F1 while expected to fall 13-18 can easily be a top 10 though. They are taking a risk with it.

What pick we can flip that F1 is the question? Possible Gettable picks for it

Suns 6 - No will be for Rioli

Dons 8- Possible if they think the Kako pick comes early with Tigers having so many picks but unlikely.

Dockers 10- Possible if they want to get picks for next year for Chad.

Suns 12- this is the most likely one. Hawks F1 get it done alone? Everyone is trying to get it apparently. I’d offer to take one of the players they want to get rid of to get it over the line (Hopefully Joel Jeffrey but might be an Atkins)

Pick 14- Richmond seem to be the logical buyer here but if Brissy can get points somewhere else and want to move into next years draft we are a chance. (Or Richmond want to spread their picks)

Pick 16- I hope not because this will be F1 for Baker done.
I'd have a crack at 6 GC and 8 Ess, if we missed that I'd just keep 13 and the Hawks f1

Ideally
3- fos/langford/draper
6- lalor/travaglia

Happy with
3- fos/langford/draper
13- Lindsay/berry

Either way we will do very well

Phantom draft for the first round assuming we get 13 as part of a Barrass trade and keep our picks. I suspect we’ll be choosing between FOS, Draper and Jagga at 3 and take whoever is left out of Travaglia, Lindsay and Berry at 13. I expect us to take the best KPD available at 23 assuming we don’t trade it for a 173cm imp with the leadership qualities.

Richmond are likely to have enough points for GCS pick 12 and Brisbane 1R assuming they don’t trade into next year, especially if they get band 3 compo for Graham.

1. RICH-Smith
  2. NM-Langford
  3. WCE-O’Sullivan
  4. ADEL-Draper
  5. MELB-Armstrong
  6. RICH-Lalor via GCS for Rioli
  7. STK-MReid
  8. STK-Smillie via FA for Battle
  9. ESS-Shanahan
  10. RICH-Trainor via FREO for Bolton
  11. RICH-JWhitlock via FREO via COLL Bolton
  12. CARL-Berry
  13. RICH-Lindsay via GCS via WB for points
  14. WCE-Travaglia via HAW for Barrass
  15. RICH-Hotton via BL points
  16. GWS-Allan
  17. RICH-MWhitlock via FREO via PA
  18. WBD-Moraes via GEEL for Smith
  19. SYD-Gross
  20. SYD-Tauru
  21. COLL-Faull via GCS for Noble
  22. GWS-Hynes via FA for Perryman

Agree or close to it. People thinking we will get 13 and F1 straight up better get ready to be very disappointed.

I think our best possible realistic outcome is us providing an F3, not F2 in the above scenario.

Gut feel is that the sweetener may fall somewhere in between. Obviously we would need to find that pick, but enough other pieces moving that it is possible.

F2 from a port/geel/Carl/WB - we just need to pick one up in another of our trades (Darling possibly).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With this new 1.5 mill freed up by Darling/Barrass going I feel like the clubs going to look to frontload the crap out of Waterman/Allens new deals and bank it for further down the line. Id be inclined to say goodbye to Callum Jamieson with some of that money also.

All talk of Sheed going should have ended now. Just no need for wasting money on it if Darling is off

Phantom draft for the first round assuming we get 13 as part of a Barrass trade and keep our picks. I suspect we’ll be choosing between FOS, Draper and Jagga at 3 and take whoever is left out of Travaglia, Lindsay and Berry at 13. I expect us to take the best KPD available at 23 assuming we don’t trade it for a 173cm imp with the leadership qualities.

Richmond are likely to have enough points for GCS pick 12 and Brisbane 1R assuming they don’t trade into next year, especially if they get band 3 compo for Graham.

1. RICH-Smith
  2. NM-Langford
  3. WCE-O’Sullivan
  4. ADEL-Draper
  5. MELB-Armstrong
  6. RICH-Lalor via GCS for Rioli
  7. STK-MReid
  8. STK-Smillie via FA for Battle
  9. ESS-Shanahan
  10. RICH-Trainor via FREO for Bolton
  11. RICH-JWhitlock via FREO via COLL Bolton
  12. CARL-Berry
  13. RICH-Lindsay via GCS via WB for points
  14. WCE-Travaglia via HAW for Barrass
  15. RICH-Hotton via BL points
  16. GWS-Allan
  17. RICH-MWhitlock via FREO via PA
  18. WBD-Moraes via GEEL for Smith
  19. SYD-Gross
  20. SYD-Tauru
  21. COLL-Faull via GCS for Noble
  22. GWS-Hynes via FA for Perryman
People really should include Levi Ashcroft as pick 1.

St Kilda will be laughing all the way to the bank in this scenario. So many good players around at pick 8 for them and a ton of players around to replace Battle easily enough in Tomlinson for free

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back