List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

I think we should be looking to trade Baily Williams. He's not a full-time ruck (which we need). And as a forward/ruck, he's arguably been overtaken by Jack Williams. And as a pure forward, he's competing against Allen and Waterman. He's surplus to requirements.

And he's a Victorian, so there's a chance he'd agree to a trade if he got back home.

I feel like he'd be a solid pick-up for some clubs, given he's just turned 24 and racked up 70+ games experience.
Problem with this currently is - who is actually going to do the rucking next year and what depth is there?

Answers to the above questions are Flynn maybe and nobody. All this is a microcosm of the diabolical list management that has been going on for the last few years.

If BWilliams goes all we have to ruck are Flynn and two blokes we are carrying on the list in Barnett and Jamieson who are both neither ready or injured or both. IMO Jamieson should never have been recruited and then delisted years ago. I cannot see him as a kpd and he can’t ruck but all this is irrelevant because he’s rarely fit anyway.

I don’t think either JWilliams or AReid should be thrown into the role because they actually are promising forwards and neither is suitable as a full time ruck.

So I agree in theory that it would make sense to trade Bailey not that we would get anything exciting for him, probably around #40. But in order to do this we need a ruck strategy and we don’t have one at the present.

Don't mind the idea of some combination of Culley + Petrucelle + picks for Baker + Blight + picks. I think Culley deserves a shot at AFL level but more likely as a forward than a mid. Petrucelle would be a solid 2-3 year rental while their kids come on. Baker lands with us for a much more palatable cost than what Richmond want. Blight is older than Bazzo but a little competition doesn't hurt.
Think Petrecelle would suit saints . Ross loves his role players and Petrecelle could be a cog in their defensive system and add speed to their front half .

And for years I was wondering why Gov and Barrass were in the pocket for an outlet uncontested mark. They are 2 of the strongest marks in a contest but we chose to kick to a contest without the Marks brothers.
Someone's gotta mark it when it comes straight back in. Catch 22

I'd love to keep Culley and Maric but I think Culley is in a queue as both a mid and a forward whereas I think there is untapped potential for Maric as a defender. Obviously we tried Maric back there a little late in the season but I'd love to see how he goes with a pull preseason there under his belt. He likely starts in WAFL but if we're thinking of delisting Rotham AND Witherden, there's a chance he lines up there round 1.
If culley is in the queue as a mid then he's not going to be a mid.
Unless something changes by early next season he won't make it
I hope he can turn it around

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I take all emotion out of it, Petruccelle, Maric and Culley for Baker, Blight and Kaleb Smith I could stomach but giving Maric a tap on the shoulder after his commitment and public comments would be gut wrenching.
Screw that maric is going to be a jet .

He is not even 20 and played 27 games

For a 196cm bean pole its a great start to his career .

Get him to hit the gym and he does his preseason as the 3rd tall defender who kicks out .

This solves 3 problems . 1 being lack of tall defenders. 2 too many tall forwards 3 lack of rebound kicking

If I take all emotion out of it, Petruccelle, Maric and Culley for Baker, Blight and Kaleb Smith I could stomach but giving Maric a tap on the shoulder after his commitment and public comments would be gut wrenching.
Don’t want to trade Maric under any circumstances.

He is one of our most promising younger talents.

Problem with this currently is - who is actually going to do the rucking next year and what depth is there?

Answers to the above questions are Flynn maybe and nobody. All this is a microcosm of the diabolical list management that has been going on for the last few years.

If BWilliams goes all we have to ruck are Flynn and two blokes we are carrying on the list in Barnett and Jamieson who are both neither ready or injured or both. IMO Jamieson should never have been recruited and then delisted years ago. I cannot see him as a kpd and he can’t ruck but all this is irrelevant because he’s rarely fit anyway.

I don’t think either JWilliams or AReid should be thrown into the role because they actually are promising forwards and neither is suitable as a full time ruck.

So I agree in theory that it would make sense to trade Bailey not that we would get anything exciting for him, probably around #40. But in order to do this we need a ruck strategy and we don’t have one at the present.
Trade out Bailey, try to get our hands on one of the freo rucks. If not chuck Ollie Eastland on the rookie list. Same height as Bailey but better ruck.better around the ground . Perfect stop gap
He's the age that most rucks are coming into their prime

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds good but Richmond just won’t take that deal.

Baker is worth a fair bit more than Maric
Petch is worth a fair bit more than Smith
Culley and Blight are worth about the same

Other than Baker wanting out it’s a roughly balanced exchange of positional needs. It will be a dagger for them to lose Baker and Maric for us.

I don’t want Baker at all so I’m not at all advocating for this deal, but to me that’s something like how it looks.
Why don’t we just forget about Baker altogether.

A small utility player, no position of need.

Why don’t we just forget about Baker altogether.

A small utility player, no position of need.

Baker will drive standards, be a great player to help out Harley and whoever our pick 3 is.
If we can get him without killing our draft hand then he would be an asset

Maric is ahead of Rotham, should be ahead of Witherden as well.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but his value to us (not open market) is probably mid-1st-round levels in draft capital.

He is best 22 and young. Lowish production but an elite user, building his tank and has positional versatility. His height plus agility (and pace - not anything outstanding but good enough for a player of his size) is a combo we lack elsewhere.

Borderline untouchable imo (and I admit I would have said the same about petch at the same age, so it can go either way).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't the club view anyone is tradeable bar the captains and the recent top draftees.

Just bring Dev home.
He’s had opportunities, admittedly in a good Brisbane team. But is yet to show he’s a good afl player. Brisbane have absolutely no use for him with another Ashcroft coming.

Free or no go. And on 2 year contract. Needs to show he can contribute at afl level before getting additional years.

Baker will drive standards, be a great player to help out Harley and whoever our pick 3 is.
If we can get him without killing our draft hand then he would be an asset
I agree Baker would be an asset. I was just speaking out of frustration with various suggested trades.
At the most I would pay our second round pick. Even this seems high with the few picks we have.
Suggestions of a first round pick or Maric are crazy.

Bit of overreaction to eaglevision's suggestion. 100% Richmond should be asking for Maric. Doesn't mean we have to agree to it.
What are you talking about? Maric looks to be a real talent, he hasn’t asked to traded, he should never be part of the discussion annd is exactly the sort of young up and coming player we can’t afford to lose.
Baker a lifelong WC supporter has asked to be traded home.
We get the best deal we can to bring Baker home, he’s all class on and off field, and will help to lift standards. 2nd round draft pick will do just fine.

Bit of overreaction to eaglevision's suggestion. 100% Richmond should be asking for Maric. Doesn't mean we have to agree to it.
Some understand the point of the post (which is the Richmond perspective) and some do not. We can’t just throw up the players we’re happy to lose and expect to get a deal done without losing picks. For the record if anything is not clear:

1. I do NOT want to trade Maric
2. I do NOT want to trade for Baker

Therefore it would logically follow that:

3. I do NOT want to trade Maric for Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back