List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Good summary of options/hopes

Whilst I love Harley starting in the guts each week, he desperately needs help. He also needs time as a forward target because we got ourselves a brilliant burst player, not an endurance beast. Unfortunately the Pieman has left us with Yeo being the only hardened inside mid. Kelly will be better on a wing or hff with occasional mid time. Hewett now looks a real worry and will take a fair time to get AFL ready if his foot can heal. Sheed is cooked. Ginbey looks best off the hbf

So we must go to market.

In terms of trading for midfielders, my preference in order
1. Peatling - main board says we have largest offer and Hawks F2 sounds ok (I’d be asking for a R3 back this year if possible)
2. Sheldrick - a F3 is my start point but might be a able to do better with a F2 if they can give us a pick in the 40’s now
3. Robertson - provided a swap of F3, I’m happy and would offer inside grunt and defensive mid
4. Parfitt - FA and has decent pace and we offer more likely starting than Cats
5. Graham - again FA but sense his lack of pace will piss me off in 3 years time

I actually don’t see Baker as a full time mid. I think he is a good player but he likely plays a utility role with stints running as a mid. If Tigers want to much, we need the AFL to cough up a FA band 3 and overpay for Graham. I’d like to explore Baker for Petruccelle plus ?? It could be Baker plus their R3 for Petch and our R2.

i get the love for Maric but if we could get Baker for Maric plus a F3, would you do it?

I like the Darling and pick 59 for picks 40,64. J Williams development this year has been great as has the form of Archer later in the season. I’d be prepared to chip in some salary to make it Darling for 40 and 64.
Hard no to Trading Maric, he has a much higher ceiling than Baker. Could be a wingman, KPD or Third tall.

I don't really see how Baker helps us. Sure, he's experienced, but he seem to fulfill the role we already have for Duggan/Cole/Witho. Senior body that can apply pressure but has shit disposal.

Baker is too small to be the inside mid/defensive mid we desperately need. His disposal is too shit to be the attacking HB we need. Cole or Maric are equal or better options on the wing. We have plenty of guys to give a crack to on HFF (Dewar, Long, Brockman, Johnson, Rawlinson).

Would happily take him if he was a FA but wouldn't even consider a second rounder for him. Tigers would want more (fair enough), so let him go join the Freo spud factory.

We're going back. Back to the year 2023. It was a mystical time full of possibility, when Finn O'Sullivan actually played football. There are hordes of people out there that want to know why Finn was pick 1 favourite entering this season and why many still have him at pick 1 even though he's barely fired a shot all year due to a series of unfortunate injuries. So during these gaps in the schedule over the next few weeks I'll be revisiting Finn's excellent bottom age season, and where better to start than round 1?

I don't want him at all, but pick 23 is the absolute most I'd pay for him.
Would rather use the pick to be honest
Yep - Rather use pick 23. (Even if we get extra pick capital, I would pay anything below 35 in this draft)
Much rather hit the draft hard.

If Baker was a few years younger, I'd agree for 23.

Bit of overreaction to eaglevision's suggestion. 100% Richmond should be asking for Maric. Doesn't mean we have to agree to it.
This board overreacting.

Well I Never GIFs | Tenor

We're going back. Back to the year 2023. It was a mystical time full of possibility, when Finn O'Sullivan actually played football. There are hordes of people out there that want to know why Finn was pick 1 favourite entering this season and why many still have him at pick 1 even though he's barely fired a shot all year due to a series of unfortunate injuries. So during these gaps in the schedule over the next few weeks I'll be revisiting Finn's excellent bottom age season, and where better to start than round 1?

Hey noobermensch, have you done Tauru yet?

Love your work btw

I raised Maric as a Melbourne media article had the suggestion.

I rate Maric and do not want him to go. I think he and Hutchinson are going to be walk up starters in 2025. I see him as being worth an early R2 pick we managed to land on with 2023’s pick 1 msd

I personally am not keen on Baker but think it has already been agreed. I also see the Baker and Graham come together pairing in a trade that includes getting Tigers band 3 (which is overs for Graham). That said, with Sheed now cooked, these 2 fill massive gaps on our list.

We need stop trading in prospective types like Ah Chee, SPS & Langdon. Jury is still out on Brockman I suppose. Even guys we tried to get like Dev Robertson.
Only bring in players that will definitely improve our team, instead of magically hoping to "unlock their potential".

So much this. We’ve got time. These types of players are the easiest to find. We just wasting list spots on them, that could go to rookies or 50+ types where you are always a chance of a long type that offer so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading out Maric is a deranged suggestion on its own, let alone as part of any Liam Baker deal.

Not yet. He's a high priority, probably next week.

I am a fan of the Viking, lots to like about his game and he has massive upside with the way the modern game is trending.

Can't believe eaglevision hates Maric so much that he'd trade him for the love of his life Baker. Why don't you just marry him.
Well he’d be the perfect height for extra curricular marital activities and I could insist our new blended family live in Melbourne to ensure he never left Richmond.

Glass half full Bender_

What's your thoughts on Jessie Dattoli mate?

Think is will be a late draft pick at best, may even go un-drafted.

Would be different if his skills were a bit more crisp, more of a scrapper than a finisher.
Marks well for his height, but his movement and un clean hands will see him marked down.

The gap between his floor and his ceiling is thin, got to love his attitude and attack on the ball, but that will only get you so far if the finish is not quite right.

Baker will drive standards, be a great player to help out Harley and whoever our pick 3 is.
If we can get him without killing our draft hand then he would be an asset
This. Apparently he was/is a contender for captain. Given his age fits a hole in our list, then we may appreciate his leadership. BUT only if he comes fairly cheap.

We need stop trading in prospective types like Ah Chee, SPS & Langdon. Jury is still out on Brockman I suppose. Even guys we tried to get like Dev Robertson.
Only bring in players that will definitely improve our team, instead of magically hoping to "unlock their potential".
If you mean don’t recruit guys who are going to be mediocre, then fine. The question then is, how can we tell?

Redden? Yeo? Two recruits that did work out.

It’s all hit and miss much of the time.

You gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky? 😊

Some understand the point of the post (which is the Richmond perspective) and some do not. We can’t just throw up the players we’re happy to lose and expect to get a deal done without losing picks. For the record if anything is not clear:

1. I do NOT want to trade Maric
2. I do NOT want to trade for Baker

Therefore it would logically follow that:

3. I do NOT want to trade Maric for Baker
It was Asterix dude who said trade Maric and put his worth as the equivalent of a late 2nd rounder in a Maric + 3rd for Liam Baker trade

It would be Baker + F3rd for Maric as opposed to the other way around for starters...

I’ve been taking on the Richmond board. He is out of contract as he only had a 6 month deal. Apparently according to gettable wce have a 2 year deal on the board and Richmond only have a 1 year. I have been talking on there board and I reckon pick 59 and or f4. He is what we need.
Do we have to trade for a player coming off a rookie contract?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we have to trade for a player coming off a rookie contract?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Richmond offer him a contract, then yes we have to trade for him

If they don’t, he becomes a delisted free agent and can sign with whoever he pleases

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back