List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hardly "win win" for both clubs, Mitch.

For starters we've got a slow middling injury prone midfielder for 5yrs, not 4, burning a huge hole in our salary cap.

Secondly we've just kicked our pick 3 back to pick 4 with yet another FA compo in this hypothetical. Also the rest of our picks kicked back.

FA compo is absolute cancer, and you know what else I've realised? I've been holding onto hope that we might get even a whiff of the FA compo ice cream if by some miracle Rotham packs his bags and heads to Essendon. Pick in the 40's or something...

And then I remember adding Graham negates any additional compo, so we'd get nothing for Rotham.

43847164-153B-4CF5-AA0A-F0C3C370EAA2.gif

So Gellong’s first pick is now going to be at best 19, after compo and Ashcroft/lombardo bids. I’m sure that’s fair to pick up Smith and Oliver..,,
I'm definitely asking for more if I'm the Bulldogs and asking Geelong to cover more salary if I'm Melbourne. I don't really know how Geelong can make the Oliver trade work though. Hawkins coming off the books surely isn't covering Smith and Oliver's salaries.

Very un Cleary like.

Starting to get a whiff of what might happening?

Big win for Richmond. We would want something else back

Would only work if we then traded pick 4 for 2 + Baker. They get an extra top pick and we get Baker and our top pick doesn't get pushed back.

So the end result would be 2 + Baker + Graham for pick 4, giving them pick 1 and 4 and all they have given up is Liam Baker and Jack Graham.

Joke System from an Amateur league.

For starters we've got a slow middling injury prone midfielder for 5yrs, not 4, burning a huge hole in our salary cap.

Secondly we've just kicked our pick 3 back to pick 4 with yet another FA compo in this hypothetical. Also the rest of our picks kicked back.

FA compo is absolute cancer, and you know what else I've realised? I've been holding onto hope that we might get even a whiff of the FA compo ice cream if by some miracle Rotham packs his bags and heads to Essendon. Pick in the 40's or something...

And then I remember adding Graham negates any additional compo, so we'd get nothing for Rotham.

View attachment 2131401

What level bed-wetting would you rate this as: expert or master?

I thought that the player had to be in the top 5% of earners to get band 1 or something along those lines. So roughly the top 2 players per club.
Theres no way Battle or Perryman will be in the top 5% of players in the AFL.

Did they "forget" to update the formula for the new tpp again this year?

2021 free agent comp
J Kelly - pick 42
Chol - pick 38
Hewett - pick 40

2022 free agents
Amon - pick 30
Hunt - pick 52
McStay - pick 35
Jones - Pick 47

Then all of a sudden in 2023 everyone is getting first rounders

McKay - 1st rounder
Tom Dodee (2 year deal) - 1st rounder
Jade Gresham - end of first rounder
FLynn - End of second
Jordan - End of second

Battle - 1st rounder
Perryman - 1st rounder

Very un Cleary like.

Starting to get a whiff of what might happening?

Big win for Richmond. We would want something else back

WTF is this shite?

End up screwing our cap overpaying J.Graham and dilute our current pick 3 to 4.

Why not just pay J.Graham what he is worth and walk L.Baker to PSD anyway?

But that wouldn't help Richmond get the bazillion picks the Vic media is all-in cheerleading for.

Trade period hasn't even begun and I'm already getting sick of it.

A free agent leaving is essentially a salary cap rebate the following year. Why the f do we need to involve a draft pick. If you lose an absolute superstar player, you essentially rebate 1 million a year to attract someone else- that should be your compensation.

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
or if the team they go to cough up the points value of the pick like a f/s or academy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all the media nonsense around Baker for 13 that has people worried. Baker isn't worth a pick 13-18 and Barrass should be worth a lot more. Our starting offer should be 23 for Baker and we should hold that as long as possible.

Dream scenario is we land Hawks future 1st and we flip that for Baker. Another option is to try to upgrade 13 up the draft order which would take 13 off the table.

Probably be something like this without a more creative 3-way trade.

WC: Lose Barrass and gain Pick 13 & 30 Hawthorn minor win.
Richmond: Lose Baker, 29 and gain pick 13. Richmond win.

West Coast final hand.
Final hand 3, 23, 29, 30.
If Baker is not 13 to 18 then why would we entertain flipping Hawks f1 for Baker? He's not a first rounder full stop .... that's a nightmare scenario not a dream.

View attachment 2131401

We have had Sheed & Gaff sitting on the list doing SFA over the past 2 years on massive money. Graham adds far more so I’m fine with it.

We are going to struggle to reach the salary floor so the money has to go somewhere. I’d say load Reid up but we can’t under AFL rules.

If the draft is as even as recruiters have been saying sliding back from 3 to 4 means we would still get a quality player. It’s IMO a far better way of getting Baker than using 3 or 13.

WTF is this shite?

End up screwing our cap overpaying J.Graham and dilute our current pick 3 to 4.

Why not just pay J.Graham what he is worth and walk L.Baker to PSD anyway?

But that wouldn't help Richmond get the bazillion picks the Vic media is all-in cheerleading for.

Trade period hasn't even begun and I'm already getting sick of it.
all these compo picks are a blight. wonder how this is going to work when tassie gets all these concessions + FA compo + F/S & NGA nominations....someones second round pick will be like in the 60's

As for free agency compensation, you probably all know my thoughts on the matter.

Rather than being a temporary adjustment mechanism, compensation picks rapidly became a means to circumvent fair outcomes if the administration deemed it in their preferred interest.

We now have the absurd situation where players on long-term contracts have less value than uncontracted free agents.

Free agency is now into its 15th season - compensation should have been revoked a long time ago.

SO the Cleary cheeky post has merit. Just not exactly as he wrote it

We gift Tigers pick 2 in FA compo.

We then trade 4 (was 3) for 7 (Suns 6) +10 (Freo's 9) and Baker

Perspective
Tigers get 2 for Baker trade and Graham compo (alternative is say 23 and a band 4 close to 40) and all subsequent picks go 1 back
Tigers better off :whitecheck:

Eagles get 7 10 Graham and Baker for 3 with all subsequent picks going 1 back
Eagles better off :whitecheck:

Every other club get 💩

We go to the draft with 7 10 15 26 and points for Champion

WCE_phil - how about it Phil. Just do it

So Gellong’s first pick is now going to be at best 19, after compo and Ashcroft/lombardo bids. I’m sure that’s fair to pick up Smith and Oliver..,,

They aren't getting Oliver.

SO the Cleary cheeky post has merit. Just not exactly as he wrote it

We gift Tigers pick 2 in FA compo.

We then trade 4 (was 3) for 7 (Suns 6) +10 (Freo's 9) and Baker

Perspective
Tigers get 2 for Baker trade and Graham compo (alternative is say 23 and a band 4 close to 40) and all subsequent picks go 1 back
Tigers better off :whitecheck:

Eagles get 7 10 Graham and Baker for 3 with all subsequent picks going 1 back
Eagles better off :whitecheck:

Every other club get 💩

We go to the draft with 7 10 15 26 and points for Champion

WCE_phil - how about it Phil. Just do it
Exactly. But I think we could do better if we want a shot at the top line talent this year

Instead of giving up our (now) pick 4, we get Richmond to upgrade Hawks 15 to Suns 7

Richmond still get fair value or better
In: 2 & 15
Out: 6 (or 7), Graham, Baker

WC
In: 7, Baker, Graham
Out: 14 (or 15) and a lot of salary space (but front-end it, there's not many others to pay)

Maybe that's too good for us but if we make it worth Richmond's while then it can be a good win for both sides at the expense of the rest of the league

WC go to the draft with 4, 7, 26. Get one of the top line midfielder plus TT

Surely there isnt another professional sporting competition around the world that operates a free agency system which provides greater compensation for a FA departure compared to what a trade of the same player would??

I'd say the system is broken but really it's working exactly how they want it to work - in the AFL's ultimate control with little to no transparency.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back